• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2008

Are you taking part this year?

• Total voters
I'm writing about two outcasts attempting to help their feuding world. I have a few bits and pieces of plot in mind, and hopefully it won't be too predictable.

Also, how do you get those little NaNo bars into your signature?

Thank you ^^

And now for some reason NaNo won't let me add in the new title and blurb I thought of for mine. It just says that "Another user has edited this info. Changes could not be saved". Anyone else have this problem?

Still not even got a basic plot outline or any characters even vaguely planned. Not even a beginning which I can write and then run with (but then I have always disliked writing beginnings). I have never ever been quite so unprepared for NaNo. @_@

I am still kinda thinking mildly comic fantasy. With elves who are not magically-inclined and stunningly beautiful, but down-to-earth, inventive, and good with machinery instead. They are rather amused by the way humans favour needlessly flashy magecraft (there will, of course, be a human mage in the starring adventuring party, and he isn't amused by this).

You guys ever heard of a take on elves similar to that? Please say no, or I'm doomed. ;;

Dinru: Can't say I have. I was just able to edit my novel synopsis just fine. (It isn't a particularly good synopsis, of course, but it's true.) Anyway, not sure what might be up with that. It might just be some odd error due to the site being so busy and you trying to change things at the wrong time, but I don't know.

Crys: Have I heard of elves like that? Um, not directly, no, can't say I have. Down-to-earth ones, maybe, but not mechanically inclined. That's usually dwarfland or whatever.

And hey, if all else fails, there's always Seventh Sanctum, right? :D

Never heard of mechanically-talented elves.

Mine has mysteriously turned into an urban fantasy novel basically taking the piss out of every TVTrope I can remember.
I don't know why.

Oh yeah my main character is a gay nerdy boy with a penchant for accidentally screwing girls.

Mine (if I choose to write it) is going to be my Biblical adaptation. OR it's going to be some form of urban fantasy, idk.

Though the Jesus one has a cool holy war between Jesus and his sister (who is yet to be named) and it's going to be sweet because she seduces Jesus and bears a son. Hooray!

Though the Jesus one has a cool holy war between Jesus and his sister (who is yet to be named) and it's going to be sweet because she seduces Jesus and bears a son. Hooray!

And you have the nerve to care about whether or not this will offend people. Write it anyway.

This year will be my first NaNo, and I am very excited. I will be writing an original story, but I can't decide on the point of view. I think I write better in first person, but will the plot of the story work with 1st person? Hmm...we'll see. Well, I outlined the main character, the antagonists, created the map of the country, and am in the process of writing the history of the country just for reference's sake.

I just checked an old story I started to write (and quit) and it had 1,730 words, so maybe this won't be impossible. (Yes, I do realize that 50,000 > 1,730)

EDIT: Here is the link to my profile. Add me if you want.

I have figured out the title to my story. It shall be called The Wolves of Alaanc. Alaanc being the name of the country that the story takes place. The story is about a 15-17 year old boy that has the ability to change his body into that of a wolf. The wolves have fast healing abilities, are very powerful, and have extremely heightened senses. I am trying really hard to make them different than the wolves in Twilight. Anyway, the country is ruled by a king that isn't evil, but might not be considered good. There is also a rebel force that is evil and will do anything in its power to destroy anyone/anything that could help the king. And thus, the boy is a threat. The king will realize what the boy can do and also begin to hunt him. The boy will realize that there are more like him and seek them out.

And that's all I have right now. That should get me through about 3/4 of the novel.

Last edited:
First one for meee

I was originally going to write some story about the adventures of people I think are awesome, but I settled on basing it completely on an RP that I'm in that has super cool characters.

I decided on that when we were doing something where we switch our characters around to see how we do with them. Super.

I am trying really hard to make them different than the wolves in Twilight.
asdfjkl;fj;kDG:KLJddgkjwdiojdkjx,jgdXZFJ:klAL lGJJIehkcXDGCFZKL;

dude. twilight has generic werewolves with extra stalker :|
that is it
there is nothing else to them really other than the general fail of the series
you might as well say that you're trying to make dragons different from the Eragon ones
asdfjkl;

Hmm. I'm really starting to think about trying this. <3 I have a bunch of different ideas, though... do you think it's okay to write something that's a remake of an old story, if the remake is going to be completely different?

If so, I'll probably write that story; it's about six different animal races in the middle of a war. Two of the races can see all sides of the war and why it should stop, but the other four are consumed in their hatred.

*goes to add NaNo bar to signature*

And you have the nerve to care about whether or not this will offend people. Write it anyway.

Well I don't care that it will offend people. I'm looking at it as just another appropriation of mythology for entertainment purposes but I doubt Christians will like me for my warped version of their mythology.

But seriously, Jesus's sister bears him a devilchild and it's actually quite a good plotline/story. If I get around to doing NaNo this year I'll probably write it.

asdfjkl;fj;kDG:KLJddgkjwdiojdkjx,jgdXZFJ:klAL lGJJIehkcXDGCFZKL;

dude. twilight has generic werewolves with extra stalker :|
that is it
there is nothing else to them really other than the general fail of the series
you might as well say that you're trying to make dragons different from the Eragon ones
asdfjkl;

:unsure: Yeah, I see your point. I just didn't like the fact that something I write could be really similar to someone else's writing. :sweatdrop:

So I fixed my idea.

100 years into the future, scientists began a massive experiment involving animals. The animals experimented on gained the basic intelligence of humans, and some developed enhance abilities; an example being rabbits being able to hop at greater heights and speeds. And then some small animals / insects gained size, the average spider being at least a foot big. 10 years after the introduction to these "Humanimals" ((Horrible name, I know)), the human race became extinct due to a mysterious disease. 500 years later, the same thing is happening to the animals.

The story centers around four characters who are affected by the disease in some way.

Artia - A rabbit whose sister falls victim to the disease
Zephyr - An eagle who discovers a family of rats whose mother fell victim to the disease.
0569J - A large spider who awakens in a cave with no recollection of what happened to him prior.
Jinijin - A mysterious wolf who helps Artia in her investigation at the beginning of the story.

As the disease begins to destroy not only living things, but inanimate objects as well, these four humanimals attempt to find out what is happening to their kind.

Back
Top Bottom