• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nintendo or Sony?

Nintendo or Sony?

• Nintendo

Votes: 46 64.8%
  • Sony

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • I like them both

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
I'm guessing you are saying Nintendo is the worst of the 3. Why is that? Do you have a reason, or is it just one of those "ZOMG Nintendo doesn't like hardcore gamers due to bad graphics/few hardcore games" things. I can understand if you don't like most of the games on the Wii, but if you are going to hate something give a reason. (Well I just contradicted myself there, but I'm sure anyone who has played Mario Party 8 would understand why.)
Haha, you're funny. Why do I need a reason? I can't just not like something?

But since you're so persistent, sure. Nintendo no longer gives a damn about anything that once made them great. They're consistently behind the other two in terms of just about everything.

I should not have to settle for half-assed graphics engines when the other two consoles blow my eyes to heaven and back. Nintendo fanboys are always so quick to cry, "Graphics aren't important!" Hate to break it to you, but presentation (including aesthetics) are important. I'm not saying they're everything, but there is no reason Nintendo and its fans have to settle for inferior technology when Nintendo is more than capable of producing something powerful enough to compete with its rivals.

Oh, hey, speaking of that - have you tried using Nintendo's online service? Have you also tried using Sony's and/or Microsoft's? If so, that needs no explanation - Nintendo tries to maintain its family-friendly image by keeping its online interaction deaf, blind, and dumb. Once again, they're generations behind everyone else.

And they do all of this in the name of "innovation." Innovation...? What exactly is innovative about motion sensitivity? Especially when there haven't been any games to use it well? Flicking your wrist to swing a sword is a neat idea at first, but soon grows old. Motion sensitivity is rarely used for anything that a traditional controller couldn't do, and better.

Nintendo knows they can't compete with Sony and especially Microsoft in the market of serious gamers, so they stick to Yet Another Mario Game and games aimed at teenage girls that are advertised on Nickelodeon. (I'm not kidding - go watch Nickelodeon; I guarantee in each commercial break you'll see at least one advertisement for a dance game or cheerleading game or what have you.) Nintendo is not getting any decent third-party support and it doesn't look like they ever will at this rate. Square-Enix, SEGA, and all other third-parties that used to embrace Nintendo's consoles now only produce gimmicky, half-assed games and leave their primary titles to the big boys. (That is, the 360 and PS3.)

You want innovative? How about a competent online service, high-end technology and hardware, and third-party support?

They're fucking themselves and their fans over. And the worst part of it is, the fans will continue to praise and embrace anything they do without actually looking at it for what it is.

I like them both. Nintendo handhelds and consoles are good for things to do with family members and the like. And Sony handhelds and consoles are good for single player gaming. Well, in my experience anyway.

Haha, you're funny. Why do I need a reason? I can't just not like something?

But since you're so persistent, sure. Nintendo no longer gives a damn about anything that once made them great. They're consistently behind the other two in terms of just about everything.

I should not have to settle for half-assed graphics engines when the other two consoles blow my eyes to heaven and back. Nintendo fanboys are always so quick to cry, "Graphics aren't important!" Hate to break it to you, but presentation (including aesthetics) are important. I'm not saying they're everything, but there is no reason Nintendo and its fans have to settle for inferior technology when Nintendo is more than capable of producing something powerful enough to compete with its rivals.

Oh, hey, speaking of that - have you tried using Nintendo's online service? Have you also tried using Sony's and/or Microsoft's? If so, that needs no explanation - Nintendo tries to maintain its family-friendly image by keeping its online interaction deaf, blind, and dumb. Once again, they're generations behind everyone else.

And they do all of this in the name of "innovation." Innovation...? What exactly is innovative about motion sensitivity? Especially when there haven't been any games to use it well? Flicking your wrist to swing a sword is a neat idea at first, but soon grows old. Motion sensitivity is rarely used for anything that a traditional controller couldn't do, and better.

Nintendo knows they can't compete with Sony and especially Microsoft in the market of serious gamers, so they stick to Yet Another Mario Game and games aimed at teenage girls that are advertised on Nickelodeon. (I'm not kidding - go watch Nickelodeon; I guarantee in each commercial break you'll see at least one advertisement for a dance game or cheerleading game or what have you.) Nintendo is not getting any decent third-party support and it doesn't look like they ever will at this rate. Square-Enix, SEGA, and all other third-parties that used to embrace Nintendo's consoles now only produce gimmicky, half-assed games and leave their primary titles to the big boys. (That is, the 360 and PS3.)

You want innovative? How about a competent online service, high-end technology and hardware, and third-party support?

They're fucking themselves and their fans over. And the worst part of it is, the fans will continue to praise and embrace anything they do without actually looking at it for what it is.

May I refer you to this article? http://malstrom.50webs.com/sword.htm

Hey, I understand where you are coming from. Nintendo has been disappointing in the grapchical department. For example, check out Brawl. The characters and the stages look fantastic for a wii game, but when you look at the Pokemon items and the trophies you can see they belong to the Gamecube. And yes, Brawl's online gameplay is vastly inferior to Halo 3's or Little Big Planet's. But outside of online gameplay, Nintendo's services are great. You can download old games, or maybe a new Wiiware game. Dig through the shovelware and you can find some wonderful gems. There are many games that support the Classic and Gamecube controllers if you don't like the motion control. I also understand that the 3rd party support isn't as great as it can be. The motion control, more-or-less, turns a lot of developers away from making good, solid games and in there place, cheap, gimicky games that are fun for maybe a week.

And guess what? Nintendo is competing with its rivals, and winning because of its aproach to the gaming industry. I don't hate Microsoft or Sony, as both provide very enjoyable games and services, but in the end, Nintendo's games-the good games at least-wind up being a lot more fun. That is why I like Nintendo, not because of gimicky motion controls or online Brawl, but because the experiance, which is the most important thing to a game, is fun. I like the 360, and probably would like the PS3 if I had one, but the games haven't been quite as much fun as the Wii's games have.

I'm really not in any mood to click a link with "50webs" in the address. Mind summarizing what that article says?

Will respond to the rest in a bit; eating a burrito atm. :3

It's too in depth, I can't. It is essentially a college paper, summarizing would take away the real meaning behind the article.

I really couldn't care less about the gaming companies. :/ The only console games I play are the Pokémon games, and thus I got a Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, DS and GameCube. If I were interested in some games that were just on Sony or Microsoft consoles, I'd buy them too, but I'm kind of glad I'm not interested in any because I like my money.

...I don't think I've ever actually even seen an Xbox 360 or PS3.

I very much enjoyed reading this <3~

I'm a Nintendo fan. Say what you will, but I've always liked the way they have interesting characters that have personality, and you're able to related with. I'm not too fond of the games based off movies, and television, but the games, like Drawn to Life, Cooking Mama, and various others that are geared towards casual gamers are still enjoyable. Playing games only intended for a certain type of audience really decreases the enjoyment you're able to recieve from others. I used to exclusively buy games of the Pokémon series. You could except my surprise when I saw other types of games, like Sonic Adventure: Battle 2, Phoenix Wright, Cooking Mama, and Kirby. I haven't played much of the PlayStation, or Xbox. I've had some exprience with the Genesis, and another one of the Sega games I can't recall >w<;, which were enjoyable. I don't dislike Sony's, or Mircosoft's gaming system, I just prefer Nintendo's.

I really couldn't care less about the gaming companies. :/ The only console games I play are the Pokémon games, and thus I got a Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, DS and GameCube. If I were interested in some games that were just on Sony or Microsoft consoles, I'd buy them too, but I'm kind of glad I'm not interested in any because I like my money.

...I don't think I've ever actually even seen an Xbox 360 or PS3.
You've severely missed out.

The 360 has great games like the last Katamari game which i can't remember the name of, and the PS3 still has the Buzz series.

On the other end we have Halo, Gears of War and Red Alert 3 while the PS3 has the WipeOut series, Resistance, and Farcry.

The only reason the Wii is "winning" is because it releases one-hit wonders. The only real reason I bought a DS is because of Pokemon, Golden Sun and Phoenix Wright. Everything else is just as crappy as Hannah Montana merchandise.

Nintendo.
Microsoft and Sony are good too, but haven't played them in a while~
I want a X-box 360, but their freaking expensive >:[ And I love the Halo series, but have never played Halo 3 due to the lack of a 360 ;-;

The only reason the Wii is "winning" is because it releases one-hit wonders. The only real reason I bought a DS is because of Pokemon, Golden Sun and Phoenix Wright. Everything else is just as crappy as Hannah Montana merchandise.

Would you mind stating games that you define as "crappy as Hannah Montana merchandise," save for the games based off television and movies?

Most of the games I play such as Pokémon, The World Ends With You, Animal Crossing, etc. are Nintendo exclusive so...Nintendo does it for me.

Nintendo.
Microsoft and Sony are good too, but haven't played them in a while~
I want a X-box 360, but their freaking expensive >:[ And I love the Halo series, but have never played Halo 3 due to the lack of a 360 ;-;

What do you mean that 360's are expensive. If memory serves me correctly, they are actually cheaper than a Wii now. Though it does suck when them Red Rings appear and you have to wait 2 weeks or longer to get a replacement.

What do you mean that 360's are expensive. If memory serves me correctly, they are actually cheaper than a Wii now. Though it does suck when them Red Rings appear and you have to wait 2 weeks or longer to get a replacement.

Where I am, Wii is cheaper, like $175-$200-$250-$270 (Yes I have seen all those prices). Then the 360 is like $300-$400.

Oh. Stupid Americaness. >_<; We are almost always oblivious to what happens in the outside world...

On the other end we have Halo, Gears of War and Red Alert 3 while the PS3 has the WipeOut series, Resistance, and Farcry.

An aside, but Halo, RA3, and FarCry are on PC, and better than their console counterparts. Except maybe Halo, that game was built for consoles, it's about the only FPS I consider the console version to be as good as PC. But a traditional RTS like RA3 or C&C3 tends to fall flat on a console.

I, for one, don't think we should actually drag Microsoft into a thread and poll where the title states, 'Nintendo or Sony?' and the options are, 'Nintendo', 'Sony', 'both', or 'neither'.

Would you mind stating games that you define as "crappy as Hannah Montana merchandise," save for the games based off television and movies?

The Brain training ripoffs, and the Imagine series among others.

What do you mean that 360's are expensive. If memory serves me correctly, they are actually cheaper than a Wii now.

Wrong.

With a 360 you have to buy a hard drive, and a subscription which costs roughly £9 a month.

Hmm, that's a tough one! I looove Nintendo games like Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and SSB... Oh and Super Mario for the N64. But I feel like Sony and Microsoft just have more to offer, like the DVD thing, CDs, and internet. I don't have a PS3, but I do have a PS2 and it's currently my favorite console because I feel like the games are better... For me, anyway.
Plus I can use my PSP for internet at my grandmother's house. :D

With a 360 you have to buy a hard drive, and a subscription which costs roughly £9 a month.

What?

Did anyone read that link? I only skimmed through it, but that offered a lot, and I mean A LOT, of insight into the Wii. And you only have to buy a subscription if you want online, which most people do anyways, so I guess you do have to buy one.

Hey, I understand where you are coming from. Nintendo has been disappointing in the grapchical department. For example, check out Brawl. The characters and the stages look fantastic for a wii game, but when you look at the Pokemon items and the trophies you can see they belong to the Gamecube. And yes, Brawl's online gameplay is vastly inferior to Halo 3's or Little Big Planet's. But outside of online gameplay, Nintendo's services are great. You can download old games, or maybe a new Wiiware game. Dig through the shovelware and you can find some wonderful gems. There are many games that support the Classic and Gamecube controllers if you don't like the motion control. I also understand that the 3rd party support isn't as great as it can be. The motion control, more-or-less, turns a lot of developers away from making good, solid games and in there place, cheap, gimicky games that are fun for maybe a week.

Oh, yes, download a bunch of games that were already on systems long ago, probably rereleased earlier as part as a collection, all for the sake of playing them on a controller that tries to offer the nostalgia of playing the game way back.

So, uh, what else can Nintendo Wi-Fi do? Hm, that's all, huh? Sad. XBox Live offers live streaming game play videos from IGN, is partnered with Netflix for delivering movies via 360, has cooperation from many TV stations for offering episodes of popular shows that actually don't suck, allows for trial games to be downloaded for any game before you actually buy it so you know if it's to your liking rather than being a shot in the dark (And I mean both downloadable games AND retail games), allows for stable online play, supports Windows Live Messenger, allows for voice mail to be sent to friends, actually allows you to communicate to other players during a game, and overall is just better.

Wow, look at all those points. And I just did Microsoft. Y'know, the Playstation Network also has quite a few of these points...

And guess what? Nintendo is competing with its rivals, and winning because of its aproach to the gaming industry. I don't hate Microsoft or Sony, as both provide very enjoyable games and services, but in the end, Nintendo's games-the good games at least-wind up being a lot more fun. That is why I like Nintendo, not because of gimicky motion controls or online Brawl, but because the experiance, which is the most important thing to a game, is fun. I like the 360, and probably would like the PS3 if I had one, but the games haven't been quite as much fun as the Wii's games have.

Any deep game on the Wii could easily have been played with a regular game controller. Hell, Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, as easier as it is to use the Wiimote to aim, allows the player to switch to either the Classic Controller or a Gamecube controller.

Back
Top Bottom