• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Obsessive Scribblers

Okay, finally got a photograph of my persona (or rather, my pokesona, Minish), here. ^^; Once again, I really wish I had a scanner. The quality is terrible and limited, I know.

Minish has pretty much always been my pokesona (the name "Minish" not really necessary, it was just my old username when I was obsessed with mawiles). As you can tell, it's basically a human me with mawile-like features (horns, skirt). Rather than have the backjaw thing that a mawile has, however, she always holds something like it behind her in her right hand. Kind of like a writhing snake of sorts, though actually part of her. Yeah. I have weird ideas. :P

It was pretty hastily drawn, by the way. And Mhals! I have my drawing for the art trade (finally...) almost finished. :'D I might be getting a scanner very soon, so I'm going to wait for that until I can finally put it up. I try a lot harder knowing that I might actually be able to get it uploaded in good quality. XD

Yes, very happy :D Your style is very interesting! May I ask what program you use?

Also repost just in case, since no-one commented and I'm not sure if people even saw my post: Cradily in a Coral reef.

I absolutely adore this, it's so well-drawn! I just love the style, the sketchiness is really gorgeous. The background is very well done too!

Okay, finally got a photograph of my persona (or rather, my pokesona, Minish), here. ^^; Once again, I really wish I had a scanner. The quality is terrible and limited, I know.
That is a sweet sona, though I may be biased due to Mawile having one of my favourite pokemon designs. Also, it's entirely done in red Biro, which is awesome and something you rarely see.

Also it makes me happy that people still use the signature rainbow thing which I started all those ages ago. Heh.
Well, it would seem that the signature rainbow thing is now the logo for the Obsessive Scribblers. ;D

Anyways, I finally got my Persona done.
Meet Ice. Again :D
You know what I think of this already. Who else needs to submit a sona reference, or is that everyone?

New members: Welcome and well come, to use the words of our beloved Castform.

Ice, why do you have a sharp thingie hanging from your neck?

Also, helpful link to Malh's helpful list.
We've got basically everyone beside Dannichu, Pyro, Pinestar, and dragonair. And Saith and other new members I might have missed. And since Spoon can just be a spoon, she doesn't count.

Alrighty, time to start a discussion topic!

What art programs/utensils/??? do you guys use? More specifically, I'm interested in Blu's and Ice's, because the lines in their digital drawings are really clean and pretty unlike mine.

I mainly use Paint.NET because that's the program I'm most used to; I have (had?) GIMP, but the thing takes forever to start up and I'm impatient like that. Since most of my art nowadays don't need the more specific controls of GIMP, I get by well enough with Paint.NET. Recently, I've found this thing called SumoPaint. It's like Photoshop, but on the internet. It'll probably not be great if your computer is really slow, but there's seems to be a downloadable version, and it has an airbrush. Airbrush.

I usually draw with a mechanical pencil on regular old printer paper in real life because that's what's usually around.

Photoshop CS4 is what I use for digital art. Unless anyone wants specific details, I'll leave it at that. :v

For traditional, I use a mechanical pencil for the lines (I don't really do lineart anymore), then I either colour with Copic markers or colour pencils. Nowadays, I use a combination of Prismacolour and Polychromos when colouring with pencils. Random things like ink or gel pen might find their way into my art for small add-ons, but those are rather insignificant.

I've gotta try pemcils sometimes.

Ballpoint pen or pencils or just MS paint for lineart/coloring. :B

I generally just use Paint.NET with my tablet. That's how I do, uh, everything. It's what I'm most used to. For physical drawing I pretty much always use 2B or 4B. Although I also sometimes use a normal HB for the main shape, then go over in 2B or 4B.

Also...

New members: Welcome and well come, to use the words of our beloved Castform.

...Urgh! Just thinking about that makes me cringe. Oh, the welcoming song was truly dreadful! And beloved? Don't make me laugh~

Ice, why do you have a sharp thingie hanging from your neck?
I make it my duty to always carry something pointy around with me :D
What art programs/utensils/??? do you guys use? More specifically, I'm interested in Blu's and Ice's, because the lines in their digital drawings are really clean and pretty unlike mine.
Photoshop 7.0
In that picture specifically, I set the brush tool set to 1px, and used the pen tool to go over the sketches I drew on paper. Then I used the magic wand tool to select the areas and then paint bucketed on a layer below.
Shading was done with three extra layers, two set to multiply (for shading) and the other set to screen (for highlights).
Then I did a guassian blur on the lineart.

It was done in a fairly high resolution though, so I don't know how well it works at a normal res. I'm still experimenting with this stuff :o

Holy crap pleasedon'ttellmei'mtoolate.

Here we finally go! My persona.

My God, don't ask why there's a beach in the backround. I really don't know. Anyways...

Top left: Pokesona (Ashley the Charmander)
Bottom right: Melosona (Moonwalk the Wolf, Onegai My Melody fancharacter)
Bottom left: Chibi persona (same as bottom)
Middle: Persona (Trainer Moonwalker/Ashley/Neon)

I seriously suck at drawing hands and feet--I'm aware. Any tips on how to make them correctly? Anyways, critisism, please.

Last edited:
I'm using a ballpoint pen and these watercolour pencils for my colour/biro stuff at the moment, and if I go back to digital, I've got Photoplus X2 or dA Muro.

Also, helpful link to Malh's helpful list. We've got basically everyone beside Dannichu, Pyro, Pinestar, and dragonair. And Saith and other new members I might have missed. And since Spoon can just be a spoon, she doesn't count.
I think that Phyro and Dragonair have already posted their references.

@Moonwalker: Don't worry, most people in the OS (If I'm not mistaken) have difficulty drawing hands. All those fiddly bits that you have to get right, what are they called again? Oh yeah . . . fingers.

Welcome to Saith! Ahahar. Have a nice time~ ;;Generic;;

Minish has pretty much always been my pokesona (the name "Minish" not really necessary, it was just my old username when I was obsessed with mawiles). As you can tell, it's basically a human me with mawile-like features (horns, skirt). Rather than have the backjaw thing that a mawile has, however, she always holds something like it behind her in her right hand. Kind of like a writhing snake of sorts, though actually part of her. Yeah. I have weird ideas. :P
I like that... style. It's sort of this... neocosmopolitan anime style. I don't really know what neocosmopolitan means or if that even exists, but, it felt like the most appropriate word to describe it!

Now, on my critical side... your arms are looking a bit thin there. The shoulders seem to slant downwards too much and seem too narrow and the torso is like... a bit too large. There's something off about the face too, but I just can't... pinpoint it. Maybe it just seems... too small or something? Lastly, the legs seem kinda thickish in comparison to the rest of the body. But I fail at legs too, so I understand. Oh and on the clothes... the boots seem... really tight and attached. Not sure if that was your intention though. For clothings, I shall make a recommendation. Think of the clothes as being like... 3D. It's not stuck straight on the body and it generally looks more realistic if you have it jut out a bit more and put some... oh, here, I'll show you a picture. See that? Yeah, that makes a big difference. Generally, no matter how tight clothing is, it doesn't tend to like... fit on perfectly.

Other than that though, you're all good! I really like the way you did the Mawile horns head thing. Especially the fangs and stuff. Top notch.

Probably the first 'proper' drawing I've uploaded to the internet. Revel in its average-ness.

Also it makes me happy that people still use the signature rainbow thing which I started all those ages ago. Heh.
Oh, lookit that! That looks familiar, ahahar. I've told you already some thoughts on it, so instead, I'll just rip it apart like a vicious critical Mouriett.

The angle Castycal's at in the picture is kinda... funny. It seems like his cape is attached to his head rather than being a separate piece. Also, it's sort of at a weird angle itself. I'd imagine the cape would be billowing back due to the force of the spells they're casting on each other. It doesn't seem like it would make sense for it to cover nearly is whole outfit.

Thingy is also at a bit of a weird angle. His legs are. I'm not sure how like... to explain it or how to explain how to correct it... but... something about the legs and the feet bug me. I do like the way you did the energy shield and stuff around him though, and all the electrical flying sparks stuff.

As I've said though, I love this picture! It's still a great depiction of Castycal and Thingy's MANFIGHT for Arylett.

(I thought it was Dannichu that started that rainbow signature thing. Hmm.)

I liek it o3o
The shading is really nice, although something seems off about the poses...not sure what.

Anyways, I finally got my Persona done.
Meet Ice. Again :D
I love that colouring. It's winter minty fresh and just... oh, it makes me feel like I'm eating a mentos.

Now for crits! Hmm. Well, there's that issue again about the torso being too large for the legs! It seems to be a common problem... I have it at times as well. The legs seem too thin to support that thin torso exactly. That's all I have to criticize though!

Your shading is excellent, that scarf is realistic and has good folds, and I like the way you did the left leg with the knee being slightly folded back. That looks like something that would've been a bit challenging for me, but you pulled it off awesomely. Good job!

My God, don't ask why there's a beach in the backround. I really don't know. Anyways...

Bottom right: Melosona (Moonwalk the Wolf, Onegai My Malody fancharacter)

I seriously suck at drawing hands and feet--I'm aware. Any tips on how to make them correctly? Anyways, critisism, please.
Well, I'd criticize it... but the style's um... I'm not really good at criticizing more stylized styles. My forte's in realisticish styles and critique.

So I'll just say what I like about it instead! Oh and maybe a bit of critque... um... the left arm on Trainer Moonwalker is a bit thicker than the pointing one. But I quite like the expression on her face, it's really awesome! Those boots are stylish too. I want them. And just something overall about the body I just... really really like. I'm not sure what, but... it's nice. The hands aren't that bad either.

OKAY, now that I'm done with that... whew. Uh... what was the question? Oh yeah.

Well, for digital, which I do rarely due to my lack of a tablet, I use Photoshop if I'm doing a serious and large piece. And if it's just like... a doodle or some bored concept sketch or something, I just use regular ol' MS Paint. (I don't tend to show off my Paint Doodles though.) All of my work is done with a laptop mouse.

For traditional, which is my most common one... I use a mechanical pencil and Crayola coloured pencils. Then I take a black pen, usually a random one I find lying around the house or something, and trace over the outlines. Yeah, I'm just real plain and cheap about it, ahahaha.

Oh oh oh! I have two things I wanna show you guys. This uncoloured Mouriett in clothes which is of my Creationsona. (For those of you who don't know: I create monsters that I call Creations. I decided to change it from being a Fakemon to a Creation since it fits in much more) And this man I'm a bit proud of, but can see the obvious anatomical defects. (The arms are REALLY screwy and stiff.) If anyone could like, give me tips on how to make... more interesting and varied poses, since that's something I REALLY have trouble with, I'd appreciate it too.

Also, I have an offer! You know how the Art forum's dead and most people with an art thread get very few comments? Well, here's my offer to you. Since my art thread is dreadfully lacking in that department, if anyone comments in mine, anyone at all, I will comment in their art thread back if they have one. And I'll rip apart as many pieces as I can in your art thread too!

Last edited:
Now, on my critical side... your arms are looking a bit thin there. The shoulders seem to slant downwards too much and seem too narrow and the torso is like... a bit too large. There's something off about the face too, but I just can't... pinpoint it. Maybe it just seems... too small or something? Lastly, the legs seem kinda thickish in comparison to the rest of the body. But I fail at legs too, so I understand. Oh and on the clothes... the boots seem... really tight and attached. Not sure if that was your intention though. For clothings, I shall make a recommendation. Think of the clothes as being like... 3D. It's not stuck straight on the body and it generally looks more realistic if you have it jut out a bit more and put some... oh, here, I'll show you a picture. See that? Yeah, that makes a big difference. Generally, no matter how tight clothing is, it doesn't tend to like... fit on perfectly.

Other than that though, you're all good! I really like the way you did the Mawile horns head thing. Especially the fangs and stuff. Top notch.

Oh, I know. I know all of that. XD tbh it was kind of the point making it look kind of unrealistic, I spent about one, maybe two minutes doing it. I'm going to have a go at trying to draw it realistically at some point, this was just really to show you what my persona looks like rather than as an actual drawing I'd want to present, ahaha.

Thanks for the feedback anyway though. ^^

And this man I'm a bit proud of, but can see the obvious anatomical defects.

Cool shading. :3 I like this realistic style! I feel like the arms are actually a bit of an improvement - normally your limbs do tend to look a little stiff, but I think this guy's look great.

Cool shading. :3 I like this realistic style! I feel like the arms are actually a bit of an improvement - normally your limbs do tend to look a little stiff, but I think this guy's look great.
Well, actually, the reason that looks more realistic and better than my usual is because I sketched it directly from a picture rather than making it up from the top of my head. This one, to be exact. So I can't really like... draw like that unless I'm drawing it EXACTLY as the reference is.

Buuuut I didn't notice that about my normal limbs! I'll have to do something about that now, won't I? Thank you~

Oh, lookit that! That looks familiar, ahahar. I've told you already some thoughts on it, so instead, I'll just rip it apart like a vicious critical Mouriett.

The angle Castycal's at in the picture is kinda... funny. It seems like his cape is attached to his head rather than being a separate piece. Also, it's sort of at a weird angle itself. I'd imagine the cape would be billowing back due to the force of the spells they're casting on each other. It doesn't seem like it would make sense for it to cover nearly is whole outfit.

Thingy is also at a bit of a weird angle. His legs are. I'm not sure how like... to explain it or how to explain how to correct it... but... something about the legs and the feet bug me. I do like the way you did the energy shield and stuff around him though, and all the electrical flying sparks stuff.

As I've said though, I love this picture! It's still a great depiction of Castycal and Thingy's MANFIGHT for Arylett.

(I thought it was Dannichu that started that rainbow signature thing. Hmm.)

Thanks! I... Yeah, the cloak. I can't believe I didn't notice that before, how it should be billowing. I'll have to fix that some time. As for the looking-head-attached thing, there was originally a line there to differentiate his neck from the cloak, but I guess that I forgot to go over it. Oh well, will fix that too if I do.

...Yeah, I see what you mean about the legs. I think it's probably the way they're a little too short and are just sticking out straight. They should probably be more bent or something.

(And I'm pretty sure I remember being the first one to do it; specifically I remember being all 8D ~excited~ when I realised that it had caught on and I'd started a, erm, thing. I may be wrong though. I guess Dannichu can verify that herself.)

WELL IN ANY CASE my rainbow is better so ha.

Arylett: I like the awesome man-thing but the shading somehow makes him look like he's furry or has no skin or something. It's really minor, though, and I like it. The eyes are scaaary. And your way of writing a signature is great.

Green (Chris?): Pemcils are great, you should really get some.

Well, I'd criticize it... but the style's um... I'm not really good at criticizing more stylized styles. My forte's in realisticish styles and critique.

So I'll just say what I like about it instead! Oh and maybe a bit of critque... um... the left arm on Trainer Moonwalker is a bit thicker than the pointing one. But I quite like the expression on her face, it's really awesome! Those boots are stylish too. I want them. And just something overall about the body I just... really really like. I'm not sure what, but... it's nice. The hands aren't that bad either.

Ahaha, alright. I'll take what you've got.

Eh. I just noticed that now. Thanks for pointing that out--I'll be more careful in the future. And thanks. It took quite some time for me to decide what I would really want her expression to look like, haha.
Actually, they're not, boots, haha. They're actually Knee-High Kicks. But, thank-you anyways. <3 You can get them at Payless.
And thank-you again!

@Moonwalker: Don't worry, most people in the OS (If I'm not mistaken) have difficulty drawing hands. All those fiddly bits that you have to get right, what are they called again? Oh yeah . . . fingers.

Yeah, the fingers throw me off. I've done them quite nicely before, but seeing as I don't draw hands much, I've completly forgotton.

Bottom right: Melosona (Moonwalk the Wolf, Onegai My Malody fancharacter)

Well, like Arylett, it's a bit hard to critique your stuff since you draw in a cartoonish style and I gravitate towards more realistic art. I do like your style, though. Your lines are very strong! And I love the pose of the person in the middle.

Your arms look very good; the only problem I can see is that her right arm seems a bit thicker than her left arm. But that's very minor.
The feet are also nice, though they seem a bit off for some reason or another... Not entirely sure, but maybe try moving the right leg over a bit? In a pose like that, I don't think the legs should be sticking together.

Oh oh oh! I have two things I wanna show you guys. This uncoloured Mouriett in clothes which is of my Creationsona. (For those of you who don't know: I create monsters that I call Creations. I decided to change it from being a Fakemon to a Creation since it fits in much more) And this man I'm a bit proud of, but can see the obvious anatomical defects. (The arms are REALLY screwy and stiff.) If anyone could like, give me tips on how to make... more interesting and varied poses, since that's something I REALLY have trouble with, I'd appreciate it too.

Your Creationsona looks very good~ Love that curly hair! The only thing I can spot is that the arms seem stiff - maybe make the elbows more prominent? Also, I don't think the two fingerclaws should be splayed out like that, because it makes the hands look very tense and rigid. Try drawing the fingerclaws like you did the claws on the left foot. Everything else is great, though! Are you planning on colouring it?

As for the person, it's not the arms that're the problems, but the shoulders. Men generally have upper bodies in the rough shape of an inverted triangle, but yours is more barrel-shaped, if you know what I mean. Generally, shoulders are about as broad as if you took two of the person's head and laid them sideways. Also, the shoulders seem to slope down too quickly.

And small nitpicks: his left arm seems to be slightly longer than his right, and his right leg seems too thin.

You're shaping up very well, though! Keep up the good work~ :3

Back
Top Bottom