• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

HG/SS Pokéathlon

Hiikaru

Run.
Pronoun
he
Pokéathlon

Is there seriously no Pokeathlon thread yet?

Guys, the Pokeathlon is awesome. Let's talk about it.

I have three medalist Pokemon right now, I've unlocked two rooms, I need to best two more mini-games to get into a third room, and I've completed the jump challenge and the switch challenge (the first normally, the second by going into Power and clicking switch the entire time instead of playing).

I really like multi-player mode. It's great to play against people, and it's great the Nintendo decided that if you have bought four DSes and four copies of the game and gotten to the Pokeathlon in all four, then you deserve to get rewarded for it.

How far are you in the Pokeathlon?
Do you use the juices?
Can you max out a Pokemon's stats?
How many rooms are there to unlock?
How useful is the shop for you?
What's your favorite mini-game?
How the heck do you pronounce Pokeathlon?

Re: Pokéathlon

How far are you in the Pokeathlon? I'm in the Friendship room. Last room.
Do you use the juices? Juices are used to enhance stats for a period of time. To use them, you should only give juice to Pokemon who have empty stars. Match the juice and the star will probably be filled.
Can you max out a Pokemon's stats? Yes, sort of. Only using the juice. Juice can't be used to make stars bold. Or at least I think it can't
How many rooms are there to unlock? Let's see... One, two, three, four... FOUR!
How useful is the shop for you? The Athlete Shop is great. You can rape it for Rare Candies.
What's your favorite mini-game? Hurdle Dash. So fun when your Pokemon crash. :D
How the heck do you pronounce Pokeathlon? Poke-ath like math-a-lon like on.
Everything I said is based on my own gameplay.

I never use juices except for Sunkern, who has perfect stats (25/25 stars.) :)

As for the Athlete Shop, stones. Which I bargain for in /v/. They get their precious rock, I get rare Pokemon. and with the minigames, everything is good except the Pennants and the football/soccer game. Block Smash is a personal preference. My personal best is 103 blocks with Hydra (Rage Gyarados)

I have nine out of ten Medalists now. Only a few have crowns, though. Maybe because the others got theirs in multi-player?

My Pokemon's stars have gotten bolded and shrunken from the juices.

I get rid of the a in Pokeathlon and say Poke-eth-lon, the two vowels together is just cumbersome.

I never use juices except for Sunkern, who has perfect stats (25/25 stars.) :)

I'm going to have to train some Sunkern. O:

I like Hurdle Dash and Block Smash the best, too. I would pretty much just play those if you could pick one at a time. I have something like 91 seconds on Hurdle Dash using some random Pokemon (Dratini, Scyther, and Magnemite, I think, with no stat enhancements), and 110 on Block Smash using mostly Typhlosion. I can get 110 on most groups with him in them. I think I could do a little better if I actually used another powerful Pokemon or two.

My least favourites are absolutely the Pennant thing and Goal Roal, also lamp jump although I can at least get the record for that. My sister happens to be insanely good at all three of these. She can get nine in multiplayer Goal Roal.

Hey, here's another thing: What's the deal with the first bonus you get? For the most hard-working team or something. The computers always get around fourty, but I can barely get over thirty. Do you have to do anything special?

I think the team bonus thing is based on the rarity of your Pokemon. I usually go in with legendaries because they have awesome Pokeathlon stats. Goal Roll is pretty easy. My highest beats your sister's, Hikaru. 10 points :D I have to agree that the Pennant Capture is stupidest. My Hurdle Dash record is like 91 point something seconds too. My friend has like 7 Friendship statues while I'm working on my fifth D:

Huh. Why the Pennant Capture hate? I'm pretty fond of it, to be honest. My record is 37, I believe.

Anyway, the shops are just a bonus for me. I play the Pokeathlon because I like it. Rare Candies at the side? Sure, why not?

I basically only do the Power and Speed courses. On Power, I use Umbreon, Typhlosion, and... Krabby, I think it was. Despite him being an HM slave, he's amazing at the Power course. As for speed, I use Typhlosion, Dragonair, and Togepi (funny thing is, that stout egg-thing is the fastest of all my Pokemon!).

My favourite events are probably block smash and relay run. I don't quite know why I like block smash; probably because it includes mashing, and I like mashing. And though relay run seriously kills my wrist, what with ninety seconds of rapid, continuous flicking, I get a whole bunch of points there (at least 150 each run), and it's always amusing to watch other Pokemon bump repeatedly into the same rock.

I'm not sure what's with the hard-working bonus, either, actually. For some reason I always get 32.

Hmm, that would make sense. My sister always gets a higher bonus, and she does bring her Togetic.

I've been using mostly Pokemon I like for it, although I'm branching out into using Pokemon with higher stats to try and get better records. I haven't caught any Legendaries in Soul Silver yet. I'll go for Lugia as soon as I train something that learns Waterfall, does he have good stats?

Yikes, ten goals? I can get two sometimes. D: Someone always snags the ball from me at the last second, and I can't block any balls even with three Pokemon at my net. I guess it doesn't help that I keep forgetting Goal Roll will come up and using low stamina Pokemon. I need to practice.

I'm almost at the room with the Friendship Statues, I think. I just need to best Snow Throw (I need one point higher than my record, argh) and Disc Catch. What do you do to get the statues?

Huh. Why the Pennant Capture hate? I'm pretty fond of it, to be honest. My record is 37, I believe.

I'm slow and I crash into all the obstacles and the other Pokemon are always crashing into me. D8; I'm working on it.

Relay Run is good too, yeah. It's fun in multi-player where I'm pretty evenly matched with my sister. We frequently tie.

I switch out most everyone from my main team if I'm not playing for new records. So, Typhosion, Furret, Pidgeot, Butterfree, Victreebel. Ampharos has decent stats, but I can't seem to do very well with her. My Togepi's really useful too.

I'm slow and I crash into all the obstacles and the other Pokemon are always crashing into me. D8; I'm working on it.

What I tend to do is run around the perimeter of the arena. A bunch of pennants usually appear there, and I find that your Pokemon are usually fast enough to avoid getting hit. I don't quite go after the other Pokemon; it's too hard to maneuver! xD; But it's a bonus if I happen to run into them while I'm doing my business. Using my method, I usually get around 30 pennants.

What I tend to do is run around the perimeter of the arena. A bunch of pennants usually appear there, and I find that your Pokemon are usually fast enough to avoid getting hit. I don't quite go after the other Pokemon; it's too hard to maneuver! xD; But it's a bonus if I happen to run into them while I'm doing my business. Using my method, I usually get around 30 pennants.

I usually go through the middle; I'll try doing it the other way. Also, I'm in the habit of keeping my Pokemon out until they get between seven and nine, is it better to just go around once and then switch out?

Yeah, hitting other Pokemon is kind of useless. My sister and I played a few games where we chased the computers around the whole time and lost pretty badly. =P Although, she's a little slower than they are so I can sometimes keep her from winning doing that, but then neither of us win, so that's pretty pointless too.

(why did it E-mail me this post twice, I'm replying to it already!)

I usually go through the middle; I'll try doing it the other way. Also, I'm in the habit of keeping my Pokemon out until they get between seven and nine, is it better to just go around once and then switch out?

Yeah, hitting other Pokemon is kind of useless. My sister and I played a few games where we chased the computers around the whole time and lost pretty badly. =P Although, she's a little slower than they are so I can sometimes keep her from winning doing that, but then neither of us win, so that's pretty pointless too.

(why did it E-mail me this post twice, I'm replying to it already!)

I find that there are a lot more obstacles around the middle. There's only been one time for me where there's been a rock around the perimeter. I didn't realize that one time and probably crashed into it at least fifteen times OTL Derp.

I keep my Pokemon out until they get a large amount of pennants, yes. Switching takes such a ridiculous amount of time (compared to the other events, that is), that I don't think it's worth it to go around once and switch.

Alright, went around the edge the whole time this time. I was doing pretty well until some Ditto got the same idea and stopped Togepi in his tracks for a while. I still got thirty though, so that's not bad.

Also, used a more skilled team and got fifty something in Snow Throw, so I can finally cross that off my list. Now I just need to get the record for Disc Catch. I always win it, but fourty discs?! Do they even throw that many? I'm thinking a bigger, more powerful team might be best to avoid getting pushed off the edge as much, but some of that is my fault for sticking too close to it in the first place...

I dislike the events where you control 3 Pokemon at the same time. I like the ones where you switch in and out.

AND AND AND the Pokeathlon will probably go the way of Ranger, which is that I never play it because it destroys my screen.

Somehow i wound up being incredibly awesome at the Pokéathlon.

Uh, i've beat all the courses (multiple times), have one medalist Pokemon (my togetic, smiley, which isn't its real name but i call it that anyway), and i've beat like nine of the ten records.

snow throw is my biggest problem, to be honest. I suck at it.

What? What does this "room" stuff mean?

I only ever go on the Speed, Jump and Stamina courses because Skill and power have Goal Roll, which I hate. Also, Snow Throw. Those two always cause me to lose epically. Any hints...?

I never use juice because I get frustrated when one stat is raised and the other is lowered.

And, as stated above, I can't max out a Pokémon's stats. How do you do that?

I don't get the "rooms" thing, since I forgot what they are.

The shop is extremely useful for me because I get Moomoo milks. :D

My favorite mini-game is a tie between Block Smash or whatever and Relay Run.

I pronounce it "Po-keth-lon."

What? What does this "room" stuff mean?

I only ever go on the Speed, Jump and Stamina courses because Skill and power have Goal Roll, which I hate. Also, Snow Throw. Those two always cause me to lose epically. Any hints...?

Rooms...there's one escalator-thing that leads to a room. This room has a door to another room, and you have to have won all five courses to get into that room. Then that room leads to another room, and to get into that one you had to use one pokemon and defeat all five courses. Once in that room there's a door to another room; this room requires that you must have beaten the high scores for all the events.

Snow Throw causes me a lot of trouble, too, but i can help a bit with goal roll. Keep one or two Pokemon in front of the goal and use the other/s to score.

Friendship room, I don't use juices, my favorite is Snow Throw. ~
I think it's pok-ee-ATH-lawn, but I don't really know.

I love how you can buy a Rare Candy every Monday. ~~~

Uh... I'm kind of stuck. :(
I give my Nidorino some Speed Juice to improve its performance... however, for some reason, it was only a couple of hours ago, but the stats reset to normal! It happened yesterday as well, when I gave him some other juice but then his stats also reset to how they were before. How do I keep them up, if possible? He's part of my Pokéathlon team...

keep it out of the PC.

It wasn't in the PC. I was on the PC, but Nidorino was in my party when I checked its stats.... I put it in the PC the day before, but this time, I don't think it was in there.

(I'm guessing that also means not putting it in the Pokewalker. :P )

Back
Top Bottom