• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

pokemon movies

ijy

hial kaiba!!
The show is not that great but the movies are great(if a bit corny) so I thought I would start a Pokemon movies thread. Enjoy!

Ummm... okay...

I guess I liked the 3rd and 5th one, then they died from there.

The one with Darkrai was pretty cool, though, but why would Palkia and Dialga be fighting? Wouldn't time and space go together?

well a mod will move it, i liked the Celebi, Depxys and new movies to arrive best, why the new ones? because they sound cool, they look cool, they must be cool =D

i'd prefer to watch in english

anything else i can manage (cept neon genesis evangelion) with subs, but pokemon is really crappy in japanese

I've only seen the first three, but I have to agree with the "movies are much better than the TV show" thing. If I remember right, I had already stopped watching the anime before even the first movie came out in English...

The one with Darkrai was pretty cool, though, but why would Palkia and Dialga be fighting? Wouldn't time and space go together?

Mythology =/= reality, even in the Pokémon universe. Just because Sinnoh's mythology says Dialga/Palkia created time/space doesn't mean they actually did.

what came first the arceus or the mew?

The third option:
Kabuto.png
Omanyte.png
Anorith.png
Lileep.png

Though I doubt any of them are really the first Pokémon...

i'd prefer to watch in english

anything else i can manage (cept neon genesis evangelion) with subs, but pokemon is really crappy in japanese

I'm not sure how it could possibly be worse in Japanese than in English. Care to elaborate? :/

Anyway, I saw the first three movies as the original Icelandic dubs (which were pretty good), the fourth in the English dub (which made me swear never to attempt to watch Pokémon in English again), the fifth as the new Icelandic dub (which was pretty awful), and once it got to the eighth, I started downloading subs of the Japanese versions, which I still do.

My basic opinions of all the movies I saw:

First: I liked it. The plot was fairly interesting, being based around Mewtwo's character; he had a reasonably understandable motive, and while the tear revival thing was rather cheesy, it overall held itself together pretty well.
Second: I really don't see what everybody else thought was so great about that one. I've recently realized why some of the movies irritate me: they just revolve around random legendaries fighting for no good reason and Ash doing some silly thing that must be done to stop them. Mewtwo had a personal motive to want to fight Mew, to vindicate his own existence; the birds just fought because they wanted an excuse for Ash to save the day one way or another. The hunter didn't really get enough development to be very interesting. Note that it's been a while since I saw this one, though.
Third: Also been a while since I saw this. I really liked the concept - a little kid's innocent wishes gone horribly wrong. When I originally saw it I always found it kind of lame that it wasn't the real Entei; it was really just there to stuff a legendary Pokémon into the movie where it really wouldn't have needed to be, but eh. I can't remember very well what actually happened in it other than this, but it's one of my favorite Pokémon movies because of the concept.
Fourth: I couldn't possibly enjoy this one properly because I downloaded the English dub and all I could think about throughout was "aaaah those voices they grate my ears @_@". From what I remember, I didn't really find the plot very interesting, and the huge Celebi-monster looked kind of weird and lame, but I don't remember it very well. Suicune's cameo felt really random.
Fifth: I was also having a hard time enjoying this one thanks to the new Icelandic dub, in which they mispronounced all the Pokémon names horribly, Ash sounded like a forty-year-old, and I think they replaced Pikachu's voice with another voice that was really ridiculously squeaky. And Latias and Latios' constant wails were so annoying. @-@ I liked the music, but again, the plot didn't strike me as very interesting.
Sixth: Never saw it.
Seventh: Never saw it.
Eighth: Oh, God, I adore it. The characters - Lucario was actually interesting with actual emotional issues! The plot - it had a twist (sort of)! The tree - a giant organism made of rock, living in a symbiotic relationship with Mew and the Pokémon living in it? Fascinating! And Aaron and Lucario had the most adorable relationship in the world and that chocolate scene during the credits and and and :33 The appearance of the Regis was rather random, and the time flowers were kind of lame, but Aaron and Lucario totally make up for it. And Aaron and Lucario blew Ash out of the water in terms of heroism.
Ninth: Really meh-ish. The pirate guy was rather silly, the plot wasn't that interesting, Kyogre's cameo was completely random, and the puzzle that Ash had to do at the end was really arbitrary.
Tenth: Another one of those "RANDOM LEGENDARIES ARE FIGHTING FOR NO REASON AND MUST BE STOPPED!" movies. :< I adore Dialga, so why didn't it do anything interesting? Why didn't they make something twisted happen when the Pokémon of time and space started using their powers (like, you know, actually making time change, instead of just dramatically showing a clock running backwards)? Darkrai didn't get a lot of development either. It was very pretty when they actually played the song, though. I got kind of teary at that part.
Eleventh: Not bad. I liked the depiction of the Distorted World, and I enjoyed how utterly obnoxious Shaymin was - yay for a legendary having an actual personality again, although they really should have called it out on being so irritating. That said, Seed Flare absorbing pollution and then releasing it again in a blast? Whut? Wouldn't want to come anywhere near Shaymin even if it were not obnoxious. And Regigigas' appearance was really small and random. And the bad guy was kind of clichéd and silly.

Haven't seen any from eight onwards, but of the ones I have seen, the first one is undoubtedly the best, followed by the third, followed by the seventh. Honestly, though, this is probably all nostalgia. If I watched them again now, I'm sure that every single one would be terrible. :|

Movie 3 is still the best for me. I rewatched it a few months ago and it was still awesome, even though I knew what was going to happen.

I even went a bit deeper into the plot of the movie than I usually do for Pokemon movies (or anything else, for that matter). My basic premise was that the Unown were acting selfishly in the final act of the movie (this is explained in-movie as "losing control" of their power, but is it coincidence that they start "losing control" at the exact same time Molly wants them to go away?). I explored the symbiotic relationship of the Unown and the "host" (for lack of a better word); let's say the Unown feeds off the mind of the "host" while turning her dreams into reality. However the Unown derive comfort from this relationship and would naturally not want to go. Although I'm sure they enjoy it in their alternate dimension, they seemed rather reluctant to leave the mansion at the end of the movie... I spun this idea off into sequel ideas for my fanfiction universe series (in planning since 2004), one of which involves this evil aristocrat guy named Wolfgang seeking control of the Unown for mischevious ends.

I don't know why, but when I first saw the movie (on VHS), somewhere between the middle and end of the Pikachu short (I think it was the scene of the clock tower ringing) I got chills up my spine. Sort of like it was a harbinger of things to come (don't ask me how).

Last edited:
I'm not sure how it could possibly be worse in Japanese than in English. Care to elaborate? :/

nothing really big about it, i'll watch it if i can't find the english dubs, but to me the voices all seem so childish and surprised, plus theres the fact i can't grasp one bit of it even if i could understand Japanese (all the more reason to learn) because they're too fast

elaborated in my terms

...the Japanese voices sound more childish to you than the English ones? I guess you grew up with them and all, but honestly? The English dub is all really painfully badly acted and Ash's voice sounds utterly fake no matter what he is saying. Actually, I watched the Evangelion dub, and all of the voices there were rather badly acted and unnatural as well, if slightly less so. Is this some sort of a signature style of English anime dubs?

Why would you want to grasp the Japanese if you don't understand the language? o.O That's what the subs are for, isn't it?

i know they're painfully acted out, but but but... (deep breath) thr japanese voices are higher pitched and more kid like due to accent IMO and i know his voice is so utterly crappy, but i guess it's just exactly what you siad, i grew up with it

also, i won't go into details on neon genesis avangelion cos this is a thread for pokemon movies, and am not wanting to type more

Back
Top Bottom