• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Products of our Environments

Coroxn

An extremely equivalent exchange.
It is generally accepted that the environment in which someone grows up greatly influences the person that they are. Their parents, school, neighborhood, friends, ect. have a huge effect on how that person thinks, feels, acts and reacts. Someone who is born into a Middle Class, English, highly religious family will be very different to the exact same person born into an Islamic oil-rich family in Saudi-Arabia.

Some people take it further, that everyone is born a blank slate, and that the personality of this person is entirely made up of their genetics and their environment.

But, the thing is, you can't choose who you're born to, or what your genetics are. Logically, then, we have no control over the person we are. The only thing that stops you from being a murdering criminal is your genetics and your upbringing, none of which you could choose. With this in mind, (and here, ladies and gentlemen, is the key point of the matter) how can we really blame anyone for their actions? Hitler could have been a completely decent person had he been born anywhere else, or if a number of key happenings hadn't happened. Stalin? The same. Every murderer in the world? The same.

How can we blame anyone for their personality or actions when, really, they aren't something any person can control?

Well, this is why the justice system (should be?) is about protecting people from those predisposed to likely harm them (and trying to rehabilitate so they won't again), as opposed to exacting revenge upon "evil" people. It is also why the concept of sin is a bunch of tosh, though that's (so to speak) preaching to the choir.

The act of blaming people for their actions is part of the environment of which you speak. Blaming people for what they do directly influences what people do.

And besides, if you're arguing that people have no influence over their actions, then what influence do we have over the fact that we blame people for what they do?

The only thing that stops you from being a murdering criminal is your genetics and your upbringing, none of which you could choose.

eh? are you suggesting that criminals generally come from the same upringings/environments? I really don't think that's true; lots of other influences (e.g. bereavement) can drive someone from an otherwise good background to do terrible things.

Also I really disagree with the premise that our personalities are entirely formed by our environments and genetics - it suggests something analogous to everyone being a piece of driftwood floating down a river without any way to steer or change our future, which I think is really silly. Do we really not have any choice over our actions? Are there no examples of people doing something divergent to what their upbringing or environment dictates? There are enough atheists that come from religious families and enough right-wings that come from left-wing families to say otherwise (for example). Our environment does not exclude independent thought, and to say otherwise I feel is a gross oversimplification of human nature. It kind of also suggests that any decision I make would have been the one I was going to make anyway, regardless of what process I went through to come to that decision, like I am destined to do one thing because of my upbringing, which is another can of worms I'd rather not open, but it makes me uncomfortable.

Also, what about people who don't remember their upbringing, have changed their lives dramatically, or have lived in so many different places or with so many different people that their upbringing isn't really a solid memory?

Hitler could have been a completely decent person had he been born anywhere else, or if a number of key happenings hadn't happened. Stalin? The same. Every murderer in the world? The same.
The fact that this is your prime example really, really weakens your argument. Yes, Hitler could have been a different person. But there's absolutely no way of telling whether he or anyone else would have been a different person if they were born or raised differently. There is literally no evidence for or against this argument because we have no way of knowing.

Even if your premise is correct, how are we to live with people who do break social rules like murder and so on? Holding nobody responsible for their actions means that essentially, nobody is protected from harm, so. I don't see where the logical conclusion from this stance is.

eh? are you suggesting that criminals generally come from the same upringings/environments? I really don't think that's true; lots of other influences (e.g. bereavement) can drive someone from an otherwise good background to do terrible things.

I'm going to quote Freakonomics (Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner (Harper Prennial, 2009)) on this:

"Growing up in a single-parent home roughly doubles a child's propensity to commit crime. So does having a teenage mother. Another study has shown that maternal education is the single most powerful factor leading to criminality."

The authors reference these studies, if you'd like to read them for yourself:

Rolf Loeber and Magda Stouthamer-Loeber, "Family Factors as Correlates and Predictors of Juvenile Conduct Problems and Delinquency," Crime and Justice, vol. 7, ed. Michael Tonry and Norval Morris (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1986)

Robert Sampson and John Laub, Crime in the Making: Pathways and Turning Points Through Life (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1993)​

So while not all or even most criminals come from similar backgrounds, these backgrounds do produce more criminals than others. Of course, there are other influences, but these are the biggies.

So while not all or even most criminals come from similar backgrounds, these backgrounds do produce more criminals than others. Of course, there are other influences, but these are the biggies.
that's true, but the fact that it's some criminals, not all makes it poor evidence to me to prove that we're the product of our genetics and upbringing. People from healthy, non-abusive backgrounds can (and do) become criminals, too. There's also a lot of people raised by single mothers (hi there) or other such backgrounds who don't become crinimals, so.

Yes, that's absolutely true. However, the books also provides the example that when the number of people from those upbringings was reduced (via abortion), the crime in the United States fell by more than 30 percent, which is quite substantial.
Researchers found that in the instances where the woman was denied an abortion, she often resented her baby and failed to provide it with a good home. Even when controlling for the income, age, education, and health of the mother, the researchers found that these children too were more likely to become criminals [...]

In the early 1990s, just as the first cohort of children born after Roe vs. Wade was hitting its late teen years - the years during which young men enter their criminal prime - the rate of crime began to fall. What this cohort was missing, of course, were the children who stood the greatest chance of becoming criminals [...]

One study has shown that the typical child who went unborn in the earliest years of legalized abortion would have been 50 percent more likely than average to live in poverty; he would have also been 60 percent more likely to grow up with just one parent

John J. Donohue III and Steven D. Levitt, "The Impact of Legalized Abortion on Crime," Quarterly Journal of Economics 116, no.2 (2001), pp. 379-420

Jonathan Gruber, Philip P. Levine, and Douglas Staiger, "Abortion Legalization and Child Living Circumsstances: Who Is the 'Marginal Child'?" Quarterly Journal of Economics 114 (1999), pp. 263-91

William S. Comanor and Llad Phillips, "The Impact of Income and Family Structure on Delinquency," University of California - Santa Barbara working paper, 1999

Pirkko Räsänen et al., "Maternal Smoking During Pregnancy and Risk of Criminal Behavior Among Adult Male Offspring in the Northern Finland 1966 Birth Cohort," American Journal of Psychaiatry 156 (1999), pp. 857-62​

So I believe that environment does have a significant role in what we turn out to be. There are exceptions, of course, but environment and upbringing are undoubtedly important. And while we are not directly the products of our genetics and upbringing, different people raised in different environments play with differently loaded dice.

Personally I would entertain the possibility of something deeper than our environments and genetics influencing the kinds of actions and feelings we gravitate toward, but that doesn't really affect the issue at hand.

Also I really disagree with the premise that our personalities are entirely formed by our environments and genetics - it suggests something analogous to everyone being a piece of driftwood floating down a river without any way to steer or change our future, which I think is really silly. Do we really not have any choice over our actions? Are there no examples of people doing something divergent to what their upbringing or environment dictates? There are enough atheists that come from religious families and enough right-wings that come from left-wing families to say otherwise (for example). Our environment does not exclude independent thought, and to say otherwise I feel is a gross oversimplification of human nature.

The key point, though, is that independent thought isn't truly independent. If a right wing person came from a left wing family, there were obviously specific reasons considering oneself right wing seemed more appealing. Yes, human nature did come into play. In a very systematic manner. We do control our future, but the way we wish to control it, and thus the way it ends up being controlled, is itself controlled by specific influences. If I decide I like pizza better than spaghetti, it is not because I just "chose" the pizza as my favorite, but because I am for some reason more naturally drawn to it. It's the same with all our tendencies and leanings.

It kind of also suggests that any decision I make would have been the one I was going to make anyway, regardless of what process I went through to come to that decision, like I am destined to do one thing because of my upbringing, which is another can of worms I'd rather not open, but it makes me uncomfortable.

But do you have a problem with the idea of a set destiny in general?

okay I'm only really sort of understanding what you're getting at, but.

エル.;569135 said:
The key point, though, is that independent thought isn't truly independent. If a right wing person came from a left wing family, there were obviously specific reasons considering oneself right wing seemed more appealing.
But why would they? If we're the product of our upbringings and we're raised left-wing, why would we become right-wing? Isn't the fact that this happens at all proves that there is some sort of thought process occurring independent to our environment?

Also, how can you possibly say that no thought is independent? You've thought a couple thousand thoughts today that zero people have privy to, and yet somehow this is still just because of people who gave birth and raised to? What evidence do you have of this? What reason do you have to think this, and why is this better than not knowing why you think the things to do? There's virtually no vantage point to stand and observe someone's thoughts, much less to observe and see whether they're independent or not.

ftr I'm not denying that how we're brought up etc. influences what we do or how we are (that's observable and generally considered to be correct), but this doesn't mean we aren't responsible for our actions nor that we have no independent thought. I think that our influences are part of our thought processes or decision making, but there are other things too; past experiences, memories, concepts learned, consequences learnt from and various things relating to mood and current mental state and recent happenings. There are so many things that can be attributed to what people do and why, but there's also an element of choice that determines whether we should kick that puppy or throw it a ball to play with. If I'm feeling particularly sadistic, I might kick it - but I know I'll be held responsible for that because I can make that choice. I can help it. I can stop myself from doing things that I really want to because I know that I can help it, I know that other people know I can help it. I'm not in a vacuum.

Furthermore, what exactly is it about our upbringing that determines our actions? What is it about my single-parent-only-child that determines my actions? What if I come across something I have literally never fathomed before, whether in my childhood or at all?

I just. There are so many questions that arise from this that need to be answered before I can take this seriously. Possibly all these questions are similar in regards to genetics but my knowledge of genetics is extremely small.

Yes, human nature did come into play. In a very systematic manner. We do control our future, but the way we wish to control it, and thus the way it ends up being controlled, is itself controlled by specific influences.
I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say here, maybe I'm just tired but this seems incredibly vague. Don't you think that sometimes people don't control their futures towards their best interests? How does this mesh if we make decisions based on specific influences that we're apparently predisposed to be drawn to for whatever reason?

If I decide I like pizza better than spaghetti, it is not because I just "chose" the pizza as my favorite, but because I am for some reason more naturally drawn to it. It's the same with all our tendencies and leanings.
But liking a food isn't an action, it's at least partly involuntary. Nobody holds anyone responsible for liking pizza. There's a difference between liking pizza and say, deciding to run a pizza shop. How can you say that people are somehow naturally tended towards some things, but that we're also incapable of truly independent thought? Are people not sometimes naturally tended towards incredibly diverse things to their upbringings? If I was naturally right-wing-leaning after all, how does my upbringing or genetics come in if I'm raised by a family of lefties? You can't both say that people are naturally predetermined to act in certain ways and that our genetics etc. determine how we act, unless you agree that both and a host of other things do this (unless I've missed something along the way). It's not that far of a stretch to say that all of these things are different for everyone, presenting the idea that our thoughts and actions are independent to all these things singularly.

But do you have a problem with the idea of a set destiny in general?
I think the idea of people having a set destiny (or even the idea of destiny itself) is pretty ludicrous, actually. To me it's up there with astrology and palm-reading and stuff - it's not exactly falsifiable, but it only works because every possible outcome apparently points towards it being correct - i.e. well obviously I would rebel against the idea of destiny because that is my destiny. It also assumes that everybody has a set path - whether they like it or not, or, that whatever path they choose is their destiny (in which case destiny becomes rather redundant anyway).

Please excuse me if my tone is a bit exasperated or rude; it isn't intentional and I'm having a hard time marshalling my thoughts into something readable.

Last edited:
I've always taken the deterministic approach to these things. I believe that everything that happens is either a consequence of what's happened previously, or a completely random process (such as radioactive decay) over which we have no control.

In any case, I don't believe there is such a thing as a "true" choice in the sense that one could always have chosen differently; if you are presented with the same choice under the exact same circumstances, you will always make the same decision (not taking stochastic processes into account, but they don't give you a "choice" in any meaningful sense of the word). Take the example with the puppy: if you choose to throw the puppy a ball instead of kicking it, then you do so because it is the choice that makes sense to you in that situation, and, faced with the exact same situation again, you would throw the puppy a ball again. I mean, why wouldn't you?

I'd like to point out, though, that I don't see this as a negative thing. All I'm saying is that you're always going to make the choice that you want to make. That's not so bad, is it?

Also I really disagree with the premise that our personalities are entirely formed by our environments and genetics - it suggests something analogous to everyone being a piece of driftwood floating down a river without any way to steer or change our future, which I think is really silly.
You may find it silly, but that doesn't make it wrong!

Do we really not have any choice over our actions? Are there no examples of people doing something divergent to what their upbringing or environment dictates? There are enough atheists that come from religious families and enough right-wings that come from left-wing families to say otherwise (for example).
Yes, but that's because the environment consists of more things than just families/upbringings. If a person from a religious family becomes an atheist, it could be because of any number of things, but surely you'd agree that there's a reason for it. It's never easy to pinpoint what exactly causes people to become what they become, but that doesn't mean it's just something you choose.

Our environment does not exclude independent thought, and to say otherwise I feel is a gross oversimplification of human nature. It kind of also suggests that any decision I make would have been the one I was going to make anyway, regardless of what process I went through to come to that decision, like I am destined to do one thing because of my upbringing, which is another can of worms I'd rather not open, but it makes me uncomfortable.
Once again: it may make you uncomfortable, but that's not a valid argument. I honestly do believe that any choice you make is the only one you could make.

Also, what about people who don't remember their upbringing, have changed their lives dramatically, or have lived in so many different places or with so many different people that their upbringing isn't really a solid memory?
You can be shaped by things you don't actively remember. I don't remember learning to read and write, learning to ride a bike, learning how to add, subtract, multiply and divide... but I know those things all the same. We're shaped by what we go through regardless of how well we remember it. As for changing your life dramatically, that does not mean you erase your past.

The fact that this is your prime example really, really weakens your argument. Yes, Hitler could have been a different person. But there's absolutely no way of telling whether he or anyone else would have been a different person if they were born or raised differently. There is literally no evidence for or against this argument because we have no way of knowing.
But that goes for your "we could always have chosen differently" argument as well. There's no way of confirming that we really could have chosen differently.

Even if your premise is correct, how are we to live with people who do break social rules like murder and so on? Holding nobody responsible for their actions means that essentially, nobody is protected from harm, so. I don't see where the logical conclusion from this stance is.
I don't think it changes anything, really. As I said before: the act of blaming people for their actions directly influences what actions people take. We're part of the environment that affects a person's behaviour. Let's take the example with the puppy again. If you choose to kick the puppy instead of throwing it a ball, then you did so because that's the only choice you could possibly have made, because it's the one that makes the most sense to you under the circumstances. Then, assuming the situation warrants it, people will inevitably call you out on being an asshole, which, in turn, will either keep you from making that same decision a second time, or at least make other people less likely to make that decision because they know how people will react.

But why would they? If we're the product of our upbringings and we're raised left-wing, why would we become right-wing? Isn't the fact that this happens at all proves that there is some sort of thought process occurring independent to our environment?
See above. The environment is made up of more things than just your family/upbringing.

Also, how can you possibly say that no thought is independent? You've thought a couple thousand thoughts today that zero people have privy to, and yet somehow this is still just because of people who gave birth and raised to? What evidence do you have of this? What reason do you have to think this, and why is this better than not knowing why you think the things to do? There's virtually no vantage point to stand and observe someone's thoughts, much less to observe and see whether they're independent or not.
But wouldn't you agree that everything (that isn't completely random) has to have a cause, a reason for it to happen? I believe the same goes for thoughts. You think particular thoughts as a consequence of what's happened previously. There's no way to prove that, sure, but given what I know of the universe I'd say it makes sense.

ftr I'm not denying that how we're brought up etc. influences what we do or how we are (that's observable and generally considered to be correct), but this doesn't mean we aren't responsible for our actions nor that we have no independent thought. I think that our influences are part of our thought processes or decision making, but there are other things too; past experiences, memories, concepts learned, consequences learnt from and various things relating to mood and current mental state and recent happenings.
Yes. And none of these are things you choose. You don't choose your mood, your past experiences or your memories. And since they're what dictates your actions, you don't choose your actions either. Or so I'd say, anyway.

There are so many things that can be attributed to what people do and why, but there's also an element of choice that determines whether we should kick that puppy or throw it a ball to play with. If I'm feeling particularly sadistic, I might kick it - but I know I'll be held responsible for that because I can make that choice. I can help it. I can stop myself from doing things that I really want to because I know that I can help it, I know that other people know I can help it. I'm not in a vacuum.
I disagree. You can't kick it. You don't have the "choice" of kicking the puppy because it's morally abhorrent to you. You would never make that choice under normal circumstances (or, if the circumstances were extraordinary enough to warrant it - say, you're being threatened at gunpoint - then you would always make the choice to kick it).

However, whether or not you make the choice to kick the puppy is directly tied to whether or not people will blame you for doing so. It's all cause and effect. We blame people for doing awful things because, by doing so, we reduce the likelihood of people doing awful things. (Conversely, we praise people for doing good things.)

Furthermore, what exactly is it about our upbringing that determines our actions? What is it about my single-parent-only-child that determines my actions? What if I come across something I have literally never fathomed before, whether in my childhood or at all?
You can't point at a single thing in a person's childhood and say "this is the thing that made you act the way you did"; it's the entirety of everything that's ever happened to you that determines your actions.

I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say here, maybe I'm just tired but this seems incredibly vague. Don't you think that sometimes people don't control their futures towards their best interests? How does this mesh if we make decisions based on specific influences that we're apparently predisposed to be drawn to for whatever reason?
People don't always act in their own best interests, no. However, when faced with a choice, they will always choose that which they feel would be the best option under the circumstances.

But liking a food isn't an action, it's at least partly involuntary. Nobody holds anyone responsible for liking pizza. There's a difference between liking pizza and say, deciding to run a pizza shop.
I guess that's where we disagree.

How can you say that people are somehow naturally tended towards some things, but that we're also incapable of truly independent thought? Are people not sometimes naturally tended towards incredibly diverse things to their upbringings? If I was naturally right-wing-leaning after all, how does my upbringing or genetics come in if I'm raised by a family of lefties?
It's not just your upbringing and genes; it's also past experiences, memories, concepts learned, consequences learnt from and various things relating to mood and current mental state and recent happenings...

You can't both say that people are naturally predetermined to act in certain ways and that our genetics etc. determine how we act, unless you agree that both and a host of other things do this (unless I've missed something along the way). It's not that far of a stretch to say that all of these things are different for everyone, presenting the idea that our thoughts and actions are independent to all these things singularly.
Not sure what you mean here.

I think the idea of people having a set destiny (or even the idea of destiny itself) is pretty ludicrous, actually. To me it's up there with astrology and palm-reading and stuff - it's not exactly falsifiable, but it only works because every possible outcome apparently points towards it being correct - i.e. well obviously I would rebel against the idea of destiny because that is my destiny. It also assumes that everybody has a set path - whether they like it or not, or, that whatever path they choose is their destiny (in which case destiny becomes rather redundant anyway).
It is redundant, yes, which is exactly why there's no reason to feel uncomfortable about it.

In any case - why is it ludicrous to believe that things happen as a consequence of other things (or completely at random)? Isn't there a lot of support for that idea if you look around?

Last edited:
I believe what uv means by "naturally predetermined" is really "supernaturally predetermined", as eru seems to suggest. Thus a supernatural predetermination of actions would make the notion of a person's genes influencing their decisions meaningless. (Or ... redundant? Not sure how to express it clearly.)

If i'm wrong, though, then i'm not sure either! Very interesting discussion though.

Okay, there's a lot of things to respond to here, and I will do my best to get through it all. However, as I read this post, there is a rather recurring factor, and that is the misunderstanding of what I meant by "environment". In my hurry to get to the point of whether blaming someone under these conditions was just, I failed to really explain the term. What I meant by environment was the influence where you are has on you your entire life. This is how your parents affect you all through your life, how your friends affect you all through your life, how the places and people and ideas and events around you affect you and your viewpoint all throughout your life. Not merely the conditions you are born into, but the conditions from there to the end of your days. The argument being that genetics and this definition of environment are all that make a person who they are. I hope that clears up a part of the opposition, and I intend to reply to all other arguments as soon as I am able.

So let's get started on the replying thing.

And besides, if you're arguing that people have no influence over their actions, then what influence do we have over the fact that we blame people for what they do?
~Music Dragon

Because, as I hope I've explained, people can be influenced all throughout their life, and hopefully this will act as an influence to help people rethink how they judge others.

Do we really not have any choice over our actions? Are there no examples of people doing something divergent to what their upbringing or environment dictates? There are enough atheists that come from religious families and enough right-wings that come from left-wing families to say otherwise (for example). Our environment does not exclude independent thought, and to say otherwise I feel is a gross oversimplification of human nature.
~ultraviolet

Atheists from religious families and right wings from left wing families have probably been influenced from other sources, such as school, the internet, media, friends, ect. But these are still things they couldn't control, they can't not be exposed to these things. So can you blame people for actions based on these influences? That's the key question here.

~ultraviolet

Again, these different places and people have influenced them.

~ultraviolet

I know at this stage in the discussion you are still operating under the misunderstanding of what I was referring to by environment, but I sort of have to respond anyway. Consider this:if Hitler had been influenced into not partaking in any activity with the Nazi party, then he may never have been a Fuhrer. And you're right, there really is no way of knowing, but as you confess yourself, people can change drastically in different places and with different people, and so maybe his life would have been drastically different. And maybe a holocaust, or even a war, could have been averted.

~untraviolet

I don't suggest letting people get away with murder, or suggesting any changes to the legal system at all. Just, instead of seeing criminals as terrible people, see the influences and reasons they are criminals as terrible.

that's true, but the fact that it's some criminals, not all makes it poor evidence to me to prove that we're the product of our genetics and upbringing. People from healthy, non-abusive backgrounds can (and do) become criminals, too. There's also a lot of people raised by single mothers (hi there) or other such backgrounds who don't become crinimals, so.
~ultraviolet

You see, with the definition of environment I used, it is more likely a wide range of influences cause others from certain backgrounds to become criminals, that instead of the backgrounds causing the problem, the influences that those in the backgrounds are exposed to are the problem.

Now I'm exhausted, and I'm fairly sure that by understanding what I meant by environment (would any one suggest a more apt word) will clear up the confusions caused with this. I wholeheartedly agree that merely were someone is born doesn't make up 100% of who they are, far from it. I suggest only that genetics, where they are born and the influences they are exposed to all throughout their lives, none of which they have any control over, are what make people who they are, and if they have no control over their influences, then how is it fair to judge people who act on them?

Last edited:
Blood Meridian said:
A man's at odds to know his mind cause his mind is aught he has to know it with. He can know his heart, but he dont want to. Rightly so. Best not to look in there. It aint the heart of a creature that is bound in the way that God has set for it. You can find meanness in the least of creatures, but when God made man the devil was at his elbow. A creature that can do anything. Make a machine. And a machine to make the machine. And evil that can run itself a thousand years, no need to tend it.

This basically sums up how I feel about Determinism - though I think God, here, is simply a metaphor for choice. Man has a very definite evil in him, as opposed to the vagaries of instinct. We have choice, and we have free will, and we have all the means to choose wrong.

Well I was gonna write a big long response but it looks like some other people got it. upbringing =/= environment. If I've missed anything after this key change in your understanding of what I was saying let me know.

I believe what uv means by "naturally predetermined" is really "supernaturally predetermined", as eru seems to suggest. Thus a supernatural predetermination of actions would make the notion of a person's genes influencing their decisions meaningless. (Or ... redundant? Not sure how to express it clearly.)

No, that's not what I was trying to suggest. I didn't mean anything like supernaturally predetermined, I was only suggesting the possibility of a third influence outside of genetics and environment. But if you want me to elaborate the metaphysics of what I was getting at: Say Takeshi's favorite color is blue, and Akira's favorite color is green. Green could be Akira's favorite color because it meant something or reminded him of something; then it would be caused by his environment. It could be his favorite color because his favorite color gene has a phenotype of "green", thus green as a favorite color would be instinctual and genetic, but I think that's kind of ridiculous. Nothing in science to this day comes close to explaining qualia. So I suggest that something deeper than genetics or environment, something within the "soul" if you really want to call it that, resonates with that color more than all the others. In a deterministic way of course.

This basically sums up how I feel about Determinism - though I think God, here, is simply a metaphor for choice. Man has a very definite evil in him, as opposed to the vagaries of instinct. We have choice, and we have free will, and we have all the means to choose wrong.

Why would someone ever choose what they know to be wrong purely for the sake of being wrong? You can kick a puppy because you're in a bad mood and catharsis seems really appealing at the moment, sure, or you can do it just to prove you have "free will". But you will never do it just to be evil.

I'm going to quote Freakonomics (Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner (Harper Prennial, 2009)) on this:

"Growing up in a single-parent home roughly doubles a child's propensity to commit crime. So does having a teenage mother. Another study has shown that maternal education is the single most powerful factor leading to criminality."

The authors reference these studies, if you'd like to read them for yourself:

Rolf Loeber and Magda Stouthamer-Loeber, "Family Factors as Correlates and Predictors of Juvenile Conduct Problems and Delinquency," Crime and Justice, vol. 7, ed. Michael Tonry and Norval Morris (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1986)

Robert Sampson and John Laub, Crime in the Making: Pathways and Turning Points Through Life (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1993)​

Just pointing out: not everyone who is arrested for criminality is actually at fault. The prison system is undeniably racist as well as classist, meaning if you are lower class and not white, you are infinitely more likely to go to prison regardless of whether you are guilty of anything. Add to that the fact that recidivism rates are 60% in the US and 50% in the UK, and that the way prison is set up, if you are innocent when entering it, you are unlikely to leave the same way.

Basically, it is very hard to take accurate statistics of lower-class criminality because of bias against them. Unless the statistics-takers go through prisons finding out who is actually innocent and who isn't, idk.

Because, as I hope I've explained, people can be influenced all throughout their life, and hopefully this will act as an influence to help people rethink how they judge others.
... But that's the very reason why we are justified in judging people.

In your original post you ask how we can blame people for their actions, since they're inevitable consequences of a person's genetics and environment, but now you agree that it's possible to influence people's behaviour by, for instance, having this discussion right here. Hence, the reason we blame people for their actions - it influences their behaviour.

エル.;569414 said:
No, that's not what I was trying to suggest. I didn't mean anything like supernaturally predetermined, I was only suggesting the possibility of a third influence outside of genetics and environment. But if you want me to elaborate the metaphysics of what I was getting at: Say Takeshi's favorite color is blue, and Akira's favorite color is green. Green could be Akira's favorite color because it meant something or reminded him of something; then it would be caused by his environment. It could be his favorite color because his favorite color gene has a phenotype of "green", thus green as a favorite color would be instinctual and genetic, but I think that's kind of ridiculous. Nothing in science to this day comes close to explaining qualia. So I suggest that something deeper than genetics or environment, something within the "soul" if you really want to call it that, resonates with that color more than all the others. In a deterministic way of course.

You're suggesting the possibility of a third nameless influence alongside genetics and environment, which so far in this discussion seem to be the totality of the natural universe's influence on a person's decisions, assuming the broad definition of environment everyone seems to favor. It sounds supernatural to me. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, i just don't want you to be dishonest about it. If it's not, then what do you really mean by the "soul"?

edit: Re-reading my own post, i seem kind of inconsistent. Sorry, i stayed up late and my words are weak. I'll make it clear, though, that i concur with MD and his deterministic views (thus far).

Last edited:
@pathos
"This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
It needs additional citations for verification. Tagged since February 2009.
Its factual accuracy is disputed. Tagged since February 2009.
It needs attention from an expert on the subject. Tagged since September 2010.
It may contain original research. Tagged since March 2009.
Its neutrality is disputed. Tagged since February 2009.
It may be unbalanced towards certain viewpoints. Tagged since March 2009."

...yeah. Reading through the article, I see that it does not touch upon the possibility that lower class/black people actually do commit more crimes because of their situation. The article seriously needs to be fixed up, but in its essence, I guess it's correct. But let's take something big, a murder for example. It's very unlikely that a murder would be wrongly attributed, no matter what television series make us believe. That "52.2% of the offenders were Black, 45.8% were White, and 2% were Other Races" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_States#Murder which refers to http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/htius.pdf) says something about the environment in which Black people live, when Black people make up only about 12.5% of the American population, because it's unlikely that African Americans get convicted of four times the amount of murders they actually commit. Indeed, the last section of the article you referred me to talks just of this: how and why people who grow up in negative environments commit more crime and thus get imprisoned more.

The fact that recidivism rates are 60% in the US and 50% in the UK suggests something else, that people who enter into prison are criminals who need to be locked up, not that innocent people who are wrongly convicted are gradually morphed by the environment in the prison (although it'd be interesting to see statistics on that if they exist!)

You're suggesting the possibility of a third nameless influence alongside genetics and environment, which so far in this discussion seem to be the totality of the natural universe's influence on a person's decisions, assuming the broad definition of environment everyone seems to favor. It sounds supernatural to me. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, i just don't want you to be dishonest about it.

Okay.

エル.;569414 said:
Why would someone ever choose what they know to be wrong purely for the sake of being wrong? You can kick a puppy because you're in a bad mood and catharsis seems really appealing at the moment, sure, or you can do it just to prove you have "free will". But you will never do it just to be evil.

Oh?
Zoosadism.

... But that's the very reason why we are justified in judging people.

In your original post you ask how we can blame people for their actions, since they're inevitable consequences of a person's genetics and environment, but now you agree that it's possible to influence people's behaviour by, for instance, having this discussion right here. Hence, the reason we blame people for their actions - it influences their behaviour.

Not fully sure what you are trying to communicate here. How are we justified in judging people who's actions are based on influences they had no control over being exposed to?

Back
Top Bottom