• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Conversely, if you steal someone else's Lucky Egg or similar, you won't get any bonus from it.

Is there a reason why Misdreavus can't learn Inferno in ASB?

It is a Dream World move.

Event moves are slated to be added to the database at some point. Until then unfortunately I think it's been informally decided that Pokémon can only use moves that are listed in the database. That should definitely be mentioned somewhere, yes. yo Zhorken, ping!

It IS mentioned somewhere... The rules on attacking say:

(Note: event-only moves were useable in the previous ASB league, but they aren't at the moment. They will be again in the future, but for now, just stick to what's in the database.)
And I also mentioned it in the reopening announcement. I'm not really sure where else to put it; hopefully it'll be a moot point soon.

Oooon which note what should happen in current rounds when event moves go up? Would it be alright to let people recommand if an opponent's event move suddenly screws over their commands? Or else tell people they'll have to wait for the next round before event moves are available?

It IS mentioned somewhere... The rules on attacking say:

And I also mentioned it in the reopening announcement. I'm not really sure where else to put it; hopefully it'll be a moot point soon.

Oooon which note what should happen in current rounds when event moves go up? Would it be alright to let people recommand if an opponent's event move suddenly screws over their commands? Or else tell people they'll have to wait for the next round before event moves are available?
Maybe it would be easier to just disallow event moves for the entirety of any battle that was started before their release.

Maybe it would be easier to just disallow event moves for the entirety of any battle that was started before their release.

That's what I was going to suggest. Seems a tad funky flavour-wise to have Pokémon just suddenly learn a ton of new moves mid-battle.

iirc the usual procedure is that you can use them right away no restrictions, which I don't like. :(

Frankly, keeping track of which battles started before we implemented events/a new generation started would be sheer unecessary hell. We should make it so you can only command for recently added moves if there has been a reffing since their addition, but otherwise, I don't have the slightest problem with "this Pokémon suddenly knows more moves".

Frankly, keeping track of which battles started before we implemented events/a new generation started would be sheer unecessary hell. We should make it so you can only command for recently added moves if there has been a reffing since their addition, but otherwise, I don't have the slightest problem with "this Pokémon suddenly knows more moves".

I couldn't think of a way to word this, but yeah. If a bunch of moves were suddenly added to the db and there was no way of knowing which you're actually allowed to use in X particular battle, it'd be kinda... difficult. And wrt flavour: it's not likely a Pokemon uses every single move they know in a single battle anyways, so event moves could just be moves the Trainer hasn't commanded yet?

Although I'd be cool with banning event moves in already-started battles if they were marked 'event' or something, so it'd be easier to say 'here are the moves you're not allowed to use in this battle'.

Stockpile's energy cost is confusing me. How much should it cost?
I have been looking at the categories and I think the closest one is the stat boosting section, but even then I am not too sure.

If sound based moves (i.e. Uproar) bypass Substitutes, would the move damage both the Substitute as well as the protected Pokemon?

For clarification, can weather moves be used indoors?

I don't think we ever came to a consensus on that, but the general opinion seemed to be 'ehhh why not', I think?

(also: this battle is gonna need a bit of manual EXP and money adding, as outlined in the arena description/last post. If this ever comes up again in the future, should I post about this here, or VM someone on the High Council Of ASB, or...)

(also: this battle is gonna need a bit of manual EXP and money adding, as outlined in the arena description/last post. If this ever comes up again in the future, should I post about this here, or VM someone on the High Council Of ASB, or...)

Talk to Zhorken about it.

For a bit more clarification re: weather, there's nothing currently in the rules that says weather can't be used indoors, although the default logical assumption is "no". People are allowed to specify that weather is allowed indoors in their challenges, of course. If there's nothing in the challenge description that says one way or the other, I would ask the challenge issuer what they meant or whether they care. If you're not the ref, I'd ask your ref whether they're willing to allow indoor weather to fly in the absence of specific rules; some will, some won't.

For future reference, anything with weird exp distribution should be run by the mods first. In this case I think it totally makes sense to count the Dittos' KOs towards the regular Pokémon's exp, since they could have gotten it anyway just by managing their KOs, but I don't think it makes sense for them to get any extra sendout exp on the Dittos' behalf... Does that make sense? (Like honestly feel free to make your case if you disagree.)

Re: weather: I'm definitely in favour of ruling that it works by default unless specifically stated not to, but for the time being, yeah, it's up to the ref and/or the challenge issuer.

EDIT: It looks like "just the KO exp" leaves both Pokémon with just enough exp to evolve, so hey, that works out well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom