• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

What happens to the clones then, if the Pokemon is commanded to attack the Substitute? It wouldn't become clear to them which is the real target if they only attacked the Substitute, so I'm guessing the clones wouldn't disappear in this case?

If they're specifically commanded to attack the substitute, the clones wouldn't enter into it, no.

So if I'm getting this right, Substitutes are easily distinguishable from Double Team clones - which means that if your enemy has used both Double Team and Substitute, you should always specify "attack the Substitute", since this eliminates the risk of accidentally hitting a clone. In other words, Double Team is largely useless while a Substitute is up. Yes?

Depends. Using Double Team when you have a Substitute up won't grant the Substitute clones -- and actually, even if you don't specifically attack the Substitute, it should take the attack anyway, as it can't tell which of its master is real any better than the attacking enemy can -- but using Substitute when you have Double Team up will cause the Substitute to have clones as well (although, mind, each time a Substitute clone is destroyed, its corresponding clone of the original Pokemon is destroyed as well).

Say a Pokémon in a double battle (or more) is commanded to use Protect if both its opponents attack it. What would happen if both opponents attacked it not at the same time (i.e., probably the normal case)? Would it use Protect against the first attack and be protected against both, or would it only Protect once the second Pokémon attacked since there wouldn't be a way for it to know beforehand what the second Pokémon was going to do?

Is it possible to Encore, Copycat, or Mimic Bide during its charging turns?

Mimic can copy any move the target has used since the user has been out. I'll leave Copycat and Encore to mods, but I'd say yes to the former and no to the latter.

Say a Pokémon in a double battle (or more) is commanded to use Protect if both its opponents attack it. What would happen if both opponents attacked it not at the same time (i.e., probably the normal case)? Would it use Protect against the first attack and be protected against both, or would it only Protect once the second Pokémon attacked since there wouldn't be a way for it to know beforehand what the second Pokémon was going to do?

Protect lasts the entire action, so it doesn't matter if one pokemon attacks first and the other later. If you mean they attack on different actions, then it has to re-use the attack.

Protect lasts the entire action, so it doesn't matter if one pokemon attacks first and the other later. If you mean they attack on different actions, then it has to re-use the attack.

It lasts the entire action after it's used, yeah, but since it's being used reactively, when is it actually used?

I was under the impression that protect doesn't fully work as a conditional anyway because of its priority. If a Pokémon waits to see if their opponent is performing a certain actiont, they don't necessarily have time to throw up a full protect. If I were to ref it, I'd let them block anything non-damaging, but probably take a bit of damage, say half? Depending on the difference in base speed, of course.

I was under the impression that protect doesn't fully work as a conditional anyway because of its priority. If a Pokémon waits to see if their opponent is performing a certain actiont, they don't necessarily have time to throw up a full protect. If I were to ref it, I'd let them block anything non-damaging, but probably take a bit of damage, say half? Depending on the difference in base speed, of course.

I think it's actually the other way around: Protect can be used by anything reactively because of its priority, i.e. a Protect can be thrown up so quickly that you can use it reactively against anything with lower priority once you see the move happening.

I was under the impression that protect doesn't fully work as a conditional anyway because of its priority. If a Pokémon waits to see if their opponent is performing a certain action, they don't necessarily have time to throw up a full protect. If I were to ref it, I'd let them block anything non-damaging, but probably take a bit of damage, say half? Depending on the difference in base speed, of course.

By the nature of its high priority, Protect can basically be thrown up really quickly in response to a move, although the risk of commanding a pokémon to wait for the opponent's action to protect could mean a conditional stalemate. Really, it's no different than other conditionals - "if the opponent looks like they're going to attack you, then protect; otherwise, do X". The problem in this case is the ambiguity between "if both pokémon are attacking me" and "if one is attacking me but the other doesn't seem to be". In which case speed order and action length are called into question.

For moves such as Frustration, where the base damage is dependent on the users mood, what would be a reasonable value to start at? For a Pokemon in good spirits, somewhere around 30 and increase from there?

A pokémon with a neutral feeling - one that just came into battle, for example, and isn't really that pumped - would probably have about a 5% base.

Can an un-evolved pokemon still earn experience if it doesn't evolve

example: bulbasaur ( has enough exp to evolve to ivysaur but stays a bulbasaur to earn exp to evolve twice from bulbasaur to ivysaur to venusaur ) ?

also on a related matter can a evolved pokemon be used if it evolves after a battle thread is posted ?

Can an un-evolved pokemon still earn experience if it doesn't evolve
Yes! You're not required to evolve your Pokemon at all, it's optional :) but recommended, because in a lot of cases the evolved Pokemon will have more attack options than its previous stage.

also on a related matter can a evolved pokemon be used if it evolves after a battle thread is posted ?
No; your active squad listed in the beginning of the post is the complete list of Pokemon you can use in that battle, evolved or not.

No; your active squad listed in the beginning of the post is the complete list of Pokemon you can use in that battle, evolved or not.

While that's true, a lot of the time people won't mind if nothing has actually happened in the battle yet. If you're just choosing your first sendout that you evolved shortly after the battle thread was posted, and your opponent's okay with it, most people will let it slide.

Back
Top Bottom