• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Personally I would say that you shouldn't have arenas that give away extra EXP/happiness. That one is obviously designed for power-leveling a pokémon by giving it at least one additional lucky egg boost, for example. While the level of EXP it grants is at least possible for the pokémon to earn in that battle (if you nix the ditto's send-out EXP, that is; as written you get more), it makes it much easier to send all the points where you want them. I don't think that having to evaluate these kinds of arenas is something you want to have to deal with, because people will definitely try to slip stuff past; I would just ban them outright.

I have a ton of questions about Gluttony.

The description says that it would take 10% health to use Belly Drum, while normally it costs 15%. So firstly: does this mean that Gluttony halves the cost of all moves that spend health (like Substitute)? And secondly: what is the actual cost of Belly Drum?

How does Gluttony affect Eruption and Water Spout? Do they lose damage faster than usual, or slower than usual? What about Wring Out and Crush Grip, which are based on the enemy's health instead?

Will Pain Split be affected in any way? Or Endeavor?

And finally: is there any sort of interaction with Stockpile/Spit Up/Swallow? The description doesn't suggest it, I just thought it would be funny.

I have a ton of questions about Gluttony.

The description says that it would take 10% health to use Belly Drum, while normally it costs 15%. So firstly: does this mean that Gluttony halves the cost of all moves that spend health (like Substitute)? And secondly: what is the actual cost of Belly Drum?

How does Gluttony affect Eruption and Water Spout? Do they lose damage faster than usual, or slower than usual? What about Wring Out and Crush Grip, which are based on the enemy's health instead?

Will Pain Split be affected in any way? Or Endeavor?

And finally: is there any sort of interaction with Stockpile/Spit Up/Swallow? The description doesn't suggest it, I just thought it would be funny.

I think Belly Drum cost 20% health when Gluttony's effect was written, and it just hadn't been updated. It should cost 8% health for a Pokémon with Gluttony. Wring Out and Crush Grip, being based on the opponent's HP, wouldn't be affected by it I think. Similarly, I can't think of any reason Pain Split or Endeavor should be afected. And I would expect Eruption/Water Spout lose damage at half rate, not twice. Stockpile goes off of energy not health, but I do think it would be fitting if Gluttony affected them.

My question is draining attacks- do Gluttons receive extra health/energy back?

EDIT: An unrelated question: could one command a Conversion+Converion 2 combo to gain a dual typing? I assume the answer will be no, but it's worth asking. :v

Last edited:
Can direct recovery moves be ordered to recover less than normal? Say, if Recover was supposed to restore 50% health could you tell your pokémon to only do 30% health for a corresponding amount of energy?

In Absorb Bulb's description, it says that it absorbs an incoming water-type attack. Does the attack deal damage to the target, as it is in the game, or is it just a one-time Storm Drain thing?

I guess my question would also apply to Electric Battery, Luminous Moss, Snowball, etc.

I think Belly Drum cost 20% health when Gluttony's effect was written, and it just hadn't been updated. It should cost 8% health for a Pokémon with Gluttony. Wring Out and Crush Grip, being based on the opponent's HP, wouldn't be affected by it I think. Similarly, I can't think of any reason Pain Split or Endeavor should be afected. And I would expect Eruption/Water Spout lose damage at half rate, not twice. Stockpile goes off of energy not health, but I do think it would be fitting if Gluttony affected them.

My question is draining attacks- do Gluttons receive extra health/energy back?

EDIT: An unrelated question: could one command a Conversion+Converion 2 combo to gain a dual typing? I assume the answer will be no, but it's worth asking. :v
Those Gluttony answers are correct to the best I can tell. Stockpile is definitely not affected at the present moment, although that could be changed.

Draining attacks aren't affected by Gluttony, no.

Can direct recovery moves be ordered to recover less than normal? Say, if Recover was supposed to restore 50% health could you tell your pokémon to only do 30% health for a corresponding amount of energy?
Per current rules on direct recovery, no.

In Absorb Bulb's description, it says that it absorbs an incoming water-type attack. Does the attack deal damage to the target, as it is in the game, or is it just a one-time Storm Drain thing?

I guess my question would also apply to Electric Battery, Luminous Moss, Snowball, etc.
The attack absorbed by Luminous Moss, Snowball, et al deals no damage to the Pokémon holding the item, as per the extended descriptions of these items.

Psych Up doesn't have a stated energy cost. Is it reasonable to ref it as 1% energy for every stat change involved?

Is Mind Reader affected by Protect? That is, if the target uses Protect while the user uses Mind Reader, is the user's next move still a guaranteed hit?

According to veekun and Bulbapedia, Mind Reader is blocked by Protect, so it wouldn't be a guaranteed hit.

Is Mind Reader affected by Protect? That is, if the target uses Protect while the user uses Mind Reader, is the user's next move still a guaranteed hit?

It's blocked by Protect and Detect in the games, so yes.

How does Power Trick actually work?
Presumably by swapping the user's attack and defence changes, much as I'd like to believe otherwise. :v
Yes, in principle it uses only the user's stat alterations. The refs who account for base stats in calculations should also swap those around when Power Trick is popped, also.

How is Speed and attack order recalculated when using stat-boosting moves like Agility?
Usually one adds or subtracts 10-15 points to a Pokémon's base speed per level Speed is raised or lowered by.
This is the most common one (12.5 give or take being the most common actual value), but it's not a given by any means; each ref gets their pick of the method here. Personally, I apply actual game multipliers to Speed.

Hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I've been gone for several years and I see that there's also been a systemic overhaul in the meantime. I would like to start over from scratch instead of using my old squad/money/etc. Can I do that? (And is the process any different than if I was a total newbie starting out?)

Sorry if I'm asking a totally obvious question; I just didn't want to start the process of registering for the new database just in case it was going to lock me into what was listed in the old thread of manually updated profiles.

Back
Top Bottom