• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

Complete E-reffing

18 Rounds

$144

And boldly (or foolishly) taking on advc. mock for promotion.

oo
Light Mightyena: Griff [M]
Murkrow
Ability: Super Luck
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Mood: Light Confidence
Land on a chunk of ice~Nightshade/Faint Attack~Fly/Protect

oo
Negrek: Electrolyte [M]
Chinchou
Ability: Illuminate
Mood: Bubbly
Thunder Wave/Substitute (15%)/Shockwave~Confuse Ray/Amnesia/Shockwave~ Thunderbolt/Rain Dance/Shockwave

Round 1

Here we stand together clutching at our sides as the ever so chilled air nips at our skin mercilessly. The ice dome sparkles in it's own reflection dazzlingly blue yet transparent enough to make out an image of a dull sky up above painted with gray and a faint hint of blue that managed to peek between clouds. Not too far from where trainers stand lay before them is a pond with a depth told where it shows its darkest color by the center. The pond still has a small current that pushes chunks of ice around in it but at midpoint lays an ice pillar fairly large. It is probably the only thing in the pond that is immobile, huh. Well, turning back to our battlers we witness Light Mightyena's goofy display of trying to handle her own Pokeballs. A bit of a klutz but still she manages to grab hold of one and holds it out calling forth Griff. From the streak of light aimed upwards came a crow like bird that stretched his wings and tilted his head that resembled a hat like object on top. A cocky look glinted in his eye but he ruffled his deep blue feathers grumpily as his trainer warned him not to be. Negrek responded without hesitance and aimed her Pokeball at the ice-cold water below. The light struck the pond's surface as she chose Electrolyte. From the opposite end of the light came an oval figure with two antennae looming over his own face that instantly brightened up the dim dome of ice. The water's deeppest ends grew more visible provided by his illuminating ability. His eyes of crosses darted about fascinated by his surroundings and then brought his gaze up towards his assumed opponent. A cute cry was uttered out as he smiled cheekily. With both trainers at the ready with their first choice of Pokemon I will now distribute flags. The red is for Light Mightyena and the blue for Negrek. Without further ado-ahem-may the opening round of this match begin!

Kicking it off is Electrolyte! Upon Negrek's orders he was to watch Griff before making his move. The Murkrow glided downward instead of climbing further up. Electrolyte grinned and from the water he waded in drew his antennae together before they grew a brighter yellow that created a greater light. Soon enough-Electrolyte leaned his wide head forward directing his antennae at the dropping Murkrow. From them emerge a weak force of electricity that wove its way across to Griff. The Murkrow was flapping without panic trying to keep his cool but squawked and dropped onto the chunk of ice in a fashion far from elegant. Slowly making his way to his feet he flashed the Chinchou a glare that was smiling smugly back at him. Feeling the static consume him made his feathered body jerk and twist before standing erect and panting for breath to replace his concentration on his pain to keeping his cool.

Seeing "Plan B" had taken effect Negrek's next order was to follow up with another severe stat induction. This time it would be confusion. Electrolyte kicked his little legs and swam closer to Griff who narrowed his eyes when his aquatic enemy advanced. Electrolyte let out a soft sigh and then closed his eyes. Relying on his antennae again he brought up a darker glow when instead a sinister ray was to be used. Griff grunted and concentrate not on his muscles but on his energy source. Keeping his eyes on Electrolyte even as the ray was prepared, Griff cawed while stepping back nearly slipping on the ice but managed to maintain balance. The ice was in motion without Griff's realizing. Electrolyte found keeping him on target difficult and released then malicious ray off against the dome dispersing it into a deep purple like fog that faded into nothingness. Griff sighed in relief and turned to the Chinchou catching his gaze doing his best not to let the light ruin his accuracy and staring coldly at him releasing ghostly energy in burning streams that melted into Electrolyte's eyes going to his brain. Caught in a ghost's mirage-the Chinchou swayed and sunk before emerging sputtering water and blinking fiercely trying to grasp what had happened. Griff strained a grin on his beak trying to ignore the pressure on his nervous system. It felt a bit lighter but still pained him to move.

Quite enjoying his self-dodging vehicle, Griff had never been happier to be flightless for a while. Electrolyte scowled and brought his antennae close once more for another electric type move meant to harm. Griff cocked his head as he sensed the danger in the growing force that illuminated the dome with a greater power revealing a more blinding glisten off of the dome's ice walls. Light Mightyena wasn't hesitant about this one and demanded he Protect himself. Griff bowed his head and stretched his aching wings that felt as if they cramped worse with every sign of movement. From the water surrounding he and his dome came a thick veil of energy that shined a metallic green shielding all of his body from hat to claw. Having already summoned the electrical power Electrolyte had tipped his own head forward and released a well-concentrated force of electricity that shot across but shattered into small sparks upon contact with the protective shield. Griff let out a mocking squawk you'd swear was a laugh while Electrolyte paced in the cold water he seemed to adapt to. The ice chunk continued its drift in an aimless pattern drawing Griff closer to land. Feeling his muscles a bit less tense made Griff a bit more motivated to fly with the Chinchou yearning to strike and avenge his lost energy.

oo
Light Mightyena: Griff [M]
Murkrow
Ability: Super Luck
Energy: 90%
Status: Moderate Paralysis (35% chance of failed attack next round), -5% Acc.
Mood: Rough start but progressing

oo
Negrek: Electrolyte [M]
Chinchou
Ability: Illuminate
Energy: 90%
Mood: Anxious

KQ's Reff Notes...
->Electrolyte used Thunderwave: Paralyzed Griff, Moderate Paralysis [40% chance of failure]
->Griff landed on Chunk of Ice, provides 5% decrease in Eletrolyte's accuracy since it is in motion
-Electrolyte used Confuse Ray: [Rolled 2 on 100 sided die] Miss
-Griff used Night Shade: [Rolled 28 on 100 sided die][Provided Electrolyte's exp. points are not given I multiplied by 1 since he instantly recieved one when entering battle] 10%, -1% due to reverse STAB
->Electolyte used Thunderbolt: [Rolled 43 on 100 sided die] 9%->+2% thanks to STAB, x2 due to weakness of Griff
->Griff used Protect: Shielded from harm
Arena Stats: Lit to the fullest extent of visibility.
-Light Mightyena attacks first next round
-Negrek attacks second
-I reff

Last edited:
Grass King

Real sorry about that; it's been added to this week's checks.

To everyone who submitted a mock reffing--I'm afraid I won't be able to get to evaluating those tonight; I'll look at them tomorrow evening and ask moon-panther to post them on Tuesday. If you are interested in using the current novice or advanced mocks and post them between now and when the gradings go up, I'll still consider them valid and look at them next weekend, provided you don't edit them after gradings for the others have been revealed.

Dragon: 1 2 3 = $18
Empoleon: 1 = $3
Full Metal Cookies: 1 2 = $6
Grass King: 1 = $3
Jack_the_PumpkinKing: 1 = $6
Kratos Aurion: 1 2 = $20
Negrek: 1 2 3 4 5 = $50
Pim: 1 2 = $6

Uhmmm, I know I probably should've asked this before I became a ref, but I just wanted to clarify how we get payed. So for every round the novice refs ref, we get $3 (So if we reffed 4 rounds, we'd get $12). And then you post the paycheck, which the refs in turn quote and post in the Bank to collect the money. So do all refs get paid once a week, or some are paid twice a week, etc. because I don't see my username there. If it's because you were too busy and you'd edit later, then I'm sorry for hounding you; I'm just a bit confused with the reffing business.

All refs are paid once a week for however many reffings they complete in that week, and yes, that's how you claim your payment. She probably just overlooked you by mistake.

blazheirio889

Yeah, you get paid every week unless you don't do something or I miss you; in this case it was that I didn't scroll up far enough to grab your name with the copy-paste (or Aethelstan's, though he was quiet about that 0_o). The missing paychecks are below, as well as this week's gradings.

Aethelstan: 1 2 = $6
blazheirio889: 1 2 3 4 = $12

Wyvern

Your battle description is overall fine; clear and to the point. It would have been nice if you could have conveyed that Kuma's special defense fell from the description itself rather than just from the note at the end of the reffing, though. Also, a personal peevee: even considering the overblown standards of the anime, it seems a bit much for a teddiursa's faint-attack punch to knock an opponent a whole ten feet back!

Because paralysis fades gradually with time in ASB, it's usually qualified in ending notes as being "severe," "mild," etc. to indicate how hindering the status is and give an idea of how close it is to wearing off.

In terms of energy, I would actually have expected to see Kuma using less. While Ralts only used two attacks this round, one of them was a powerful and expensive psychic. By contrast, Kuma used fury swipes, which is quite light in terms of energy cost, and faint attack, which is moderately expensive. Thunder wave and bulk up are roughly equivalent. Therefore, I would actually expect the two pokÈmon to come out more or less square in terms of energy. Their health is fine.

Eh, I'm rather on the fence about this one... the only real problem was in the energy, the other notes primarily being stylistic things. I think I'm going to say Not Approved for now, as I'd like to see how you handle energy in different situations to make sure there's not a major problem in that area before approving you.

Scyther

Your battle description still needs work. You've got bits that don't make sense (what's a "fair size" of electricity?), vague or confusing descriptions (Kuma "motivated a certain part of his brain" and his muscles "rippled" in response to bulk up? Doesn't seem to coincide with his becoming more bulky), and general grammar, punctuation, and other style problems (pumbling isn't a word; I'm guessing you wanted "pummeling," but it wouldn't be appropriate in the context you used "pumbling" anyway). I do appreciate that you tried to incorporate the arena into your description a bit by having the crowd react to the action, and the description tended to get better in the later actions, but it still needs cleaning up.

Although Ralts didn't actually use counter, you implied with your description that this was only because no attack was forthcoming, not because she actually *couldn't.* Ralts can't learn counter, though. Because paralysis fades gradually with time in ASB, it's usually qualified in ending notes as being "severe," "mild," etc. to indicate how hindering the status is and give an idea of how close it is to wearing off. Also, in the ending notes--I don't know if "Kuma attacks first next round" is a typo or not, but it should be "Kuroihoshi attacks first next round." The command order always applies to the pokÈmon, not their trainers, and even if you meant for Kuma to stand in for his trainer, it's not his trainer's turn to order next anyway.

Considering Kuma's attack boost and the super-effectiveness of faint attack, it definitely should have done more than 5% to Ralts. I'm not whether/how much energy you took off Ralts for the counter, but if you didn't, she's definitely used too much; Kuma's a point or two under what I would have expected, on the other hand.

I'm afraid that missing the counter thing is a pretty serious concern; other than that, it's really your description that continues to be a problem. I'm not too sure about your energy here, either. If I had to pinpoint the weakest area of this mock, I would probably still say that it was description, though. Not Approved

Kindling Queen

Your battle description really needs work, I'm afraid; while you've obviously gone to a lot of effort to make it detailed, it has a lot of mechanical problems. You have a great deal of trouble keeping the tense consistent, and punctuation and grammar are problematic. One particular problem you're having is in placing commas--you very often leave them out where you need them, as in this sentence (commas not in original): "A bit of a klutz, but still she manages to grab hold of one and holds it out, calling forth Griff." This sentence also has a misplaced modifier because "a bit of a klutz" doesn't refer to anything. You also tend to leave out words or arrange them in ways that are difficult to understand, as in this sentence: From the streak of light aimed upwards came a crow like bird that stretched his wings and tilted his head that resembled a hat like object on top. The bolded part really doesn't make much sense (best way I can think of to shuffle it without changing the words much would be "tilted his head, the top of which resembled a hat"). I'm not sure what to recommend here, except maybe to read through what you've written to make sure it really makes sense.

If you're going to make a super-effective attack worth x2 damage, I think it makes more sense to increase the energy of damaging attacks to compensate for how much powerful they are than they would be if they only did 1.5x damage for super-effective hits. Electrolyte should already be using way more energy than Griff--a very powerful thunderbolt and two minor to moderately expensive support moves, compared to a very weak night shade and a little movement on Griff's part. Protect does take a fair amount of energy, but not enough to count for almost all three of his actions relative to Electrolyte.

Both the battle description and energy are worrisome to me; sorry, but this definitely not an advanced-level reffing. No Promotion

Fair enough. I just typed the whole thing with the Energy and Damage guide open and used that. I think Kuma's energy went wrong when I did energy per swipe. I didn't quite understand how Fury Swipes worked so I took an assumption.

I actually looked at Psychic at the end and completely forgot that it may lower Sp Def so I added it at the end and forgot to alter my description :sweatdrop:

Also, 10 feet is about than 3 metres. To me, a Bulked Up smack in the back didn't seem too weak to be able to fling Ralts that distance.

I guess I gotta start thinking more ASB and less game xD

Thanks for the comments =)

Last edited:
blazheirio889

Yeah, you get paid every week unless you don't do something or I miss you; in this case it was that I didn't scroll up far enough to grab your name with the copy-paste (or Aethelstan's, though he was quiet about that 0_o). The missing paychecks are below, as well as this week's gradings.

Aethelstan: 1 2 = $6

Heh, I actually forgot I get paid for those. That would explain the quietness.

Trying out the Elite Mock in hopes of promotion.

Houndoom_Lover and Blademaster vs. Negrek and Phoenixsong: Tryout Round

Arena: The Zen Zone

In this realm, all five elements (and the one counter-element) of Feng Shui are represented in perfect union. The battlefield itself is a 100-foot wide circle, evenly divided into six pieces: five trapezoids surrounding a sixth circular area. (If you're having trouble envisioning this, think of it like a bagel that's been cut into 5 evenly sized pieces; the hole at the center is the sixth 'piece'.) Going clockwise, the trapezoids are composed and arranged as follows: Fire, Metal, Wood, Earth, and Water, with Void in the middle between them.

The four Trainers have been waiting patiently in this arena for more than two months, since few referees have been daring enough to attempt such a complex battle. Finally, a spark of energy appears on the horizon as a referee, Jack_the_PumpkinKing, finally warps into the extradimensional realm. As Jack hikes up to the battlefield, the Trainers are already running through their chosen commands in their head, making sure at the last minute that they are happy with their orders. Upon arrival, Jack nods to the Trainers. “Red team, you’re first to release,” he decides.

Houndoom_Lover and Blademaster toss their Pokeballs out at almost precisely the same instant, the former landing in the Void area and the latter in the Wood area. A pitch-black dog appears from Houndoom_Lover’s Pokeball, its paws landing heavily onto the transparent floor. With a tap of one forepaw to make sure the ground is solid and he won’t be plummeting into an abyss, Mephistopheles the Houndoom emits a breath of flame in excitement. From Blademaster’s Pokeball comes a curious little dinosaur with a seed clinging to its back like a parasite. With a growl, Minh T. the Bulbasaur steps out from beneath the Wood area’s tree, bathing itself in the extraterrestrial sun.

With the red team’s Pokemon out, the blue team takes their turn. Negrek tosses her Pokeball into the Metal area, letting out a blue disc that floats above the area’s spinning gears. Abtruse the Bronzor floats back and forth in the air, looking almost bored as he watches the dog before him and the dinosaur to his left. Phoenixsong’s Pokeball lands in the Earth area on Minh T.’s other side, releasing a little yellow ball that unfurls itself into a shrewlike Pokemon. Sandshark the Sandshrew crawls up onto a large boulder nearby to survey the other Pokemon.

The Arbitrarily-Colored Red Team

Team Houndoom_Lover (Ooo)
houndoom
[Mephistopheles] Houndoom (M) <Flash Fire>
Commands: Faint Attack @ Abstruse ~ Fire Fang @ Abstruse ~ Shadow Ball @ Abtruse

Team Blademaster (Ooo)
bulbasaur
[Minh T.] Bulbasaur (F) <Overgrow>
Commands: Sleep Powder @ Blue Team ~ Leech Seed @ Abtruse ~ Leech Seed @ Sandshark

The Arbitrarily-Colored Blue Team

Team Negrek (Ooo)
bronzor
[Abtruse] Bronzor (X) <Levitate>
Commands: Reflect / Rock Slide @ Mephistopheles / Psychic @ Attack ~ Substitute (15%) / Rock Slide @ Mephistopheles / Psychic @ Attack ~ Psychic @ Bulbasaur / @ Attack

Team Phoenixsong (Ooo)
sandshrew
[Sandshark] Sandshrew (F) <Sand Veil>
Commands: Safeguard / Poison Jab @ Mephistopheles ~ Earthquake ~ Sandstorm / Frustration @ taunter​

With all four Pokemon out and ready to battle, the referee gives a nod to the Trainers, and pronounces carefully:

“Round One: begin!”

Before the ref can even get these words out of his mouth, the horned dog takes a glance at his partner, Minh T., and fades into nothingness. The light patter of Mephistopheles’ footsteps can be heard to a careful listener, but the blue team have no time to try to hear him. As if they had planned it beforehand, the Bulbasaur shakes her bulb for a moment before releasing a weird green powder across the field. As the spores drift past Abtruse’s and Sandshark’s noses, both Pokemon find themselves scarcely able to keep their eyes open. Sandshark unconsciously curls up into a ball as he begins to sleep, and Abtruse is not long after him. Although the metal disk’s natural magnetism keeps it floating a few inches above the twirling platforms of the Metal area, its eyes close droopily and it lets out a faint snore.

When Mephistopheles is sure that the sleep powder has dissipated, he begins to reappear. Even only as a faint outline, he is preparing to mount an attack with his whole weight. He jumps and tackles the disk, using the Bronzor’s resistance to launch himself into the air above Abtruse for his next move.

<Mephistopheles: -0H, -5E / normal status / preparing a second assault>
<Minh T.: -0H, -4E / normal status / satisfied>
<Abtruse: -10H, -1E / Asleep (moderate) / a little troubled in dreamland>
<Sandshark: -0H, -1E / Asleep (moderate) / dreaming sweet dreams>

As Mephistopheles falls down toward Abtruse, fiery breath licking his teeth, thoughts rush through his head. Should I be attacking somebody who’s asleep and can’t defend themself?, he wonders. Is that ethical? What would my mother say? I can just hear her now... “Mephy, what have you done? What kind of a monster are you? If you don’t straighten up, the next time I see you will be from the other side of a cell door! What would your father say?” On the other hand, he muses, Houndoom_Lover has given him commands, and he has a responsibility to fulfill them! Displeased with his sudden ethical dilemma, he decides that this last thought is the best (perhaps just to put an end to the problem) and, as he lands on Abtruse, he clamps down his fire-encloaked fangs on the disk, which snorts with pain but remains asleep. With some difficulty, Mephistopheles manages to balance on the Bronzor (which now floats face-down, barely two inches from the Metal area’s twirling cogs).

Minh T., meanwhile, is in just as much of a pickle as the Houndoom was only seconds before. She’s been ordered to fire off parasitic seeds at the very thing her teammate is balancing on! After somewhat less deliberation than Mephistopheles, she half-heartedly shoots a few seeds off toward the Metal area, but they fall short and end up twining their leeching roots along a couple of smaller gears several feet away from Abtruse and his rider. A faint thump sounds on the other end of the field as Sandshark rolls off his rock onto the ground.

<Mephistopheles: -0H, -3E / normal status / Should I have really done that?>
<Minh T.: -0H, -4E / normal status / glad that she didn’t accidentally hit her teammate>
<Abtruse: -12H, -1E / Asleep (mild) / sleeping fitfully>
<Sandshark: -0H, -1E / Asleep (mild) / completely unaware of his surroundings>

Deciding that his previous attack is justification to be able to attack the sleeping Abtruse again, Mephistopheles readies what little ghostly energy he has within himself. He jumps into the air once again as his mouth fills with a ball of unstable shadowy ectoplasm, and a growl escapes his teeth as he shoots the ball toward Abtruse. The blue disk hits the gear below it with a loud and painful-sounding clang, while Mephistopheles is launched in the other direction by the effects of Newton’s Third Law of Motion, landing gracefully on all fours in the Void area. Seconds later, a slightly dented but still sleeping Abtruse rises slowly, its internal magnetism keeping it floating a few inches above the Metal area.

Pleased with her teammate, Minh T. turns toward the unsuspecting sleeping shrew on her other side. Preparing another batch of the same kind of seeds that were now trying unsuccessfully to leech health out of the gears behind her, the Bulbasaur grinds her teeth and fires the projectiles off toward Sandshark. This time, the seeds aim true, and the Sandshrew’s patchwork hide works against it as the seeds instantly sprout, digging roots between the shrew’s yellow plates and piercing its skin. Sandshark winces, still asleep, as Minh T. feels a trickle of energy reach her.

<Mephistopheles: -0H, -5E / normal status / pumped up and back on home turf>
<Minh T.: -0H, -4E / normal status / parasitic and proud>
<Abtruse: -9H, -1E / Asleep (mild) / dreaming of monsters and demons>
<Sandshark: -3H, -1E / Asleep (mild), seeded / drained and pale>

The Arbitrarily-Colored Red Team

Team Houndoom_Lover (Ooo)
houndoom
[Mephistopheles] Houndoom (M) <Flash Fire>
Energy: 87%
Commands used: Faint Attack @ Abtruse ~ Fire Fang @ Abtruse ~ Shadow Ball @ Abtruse
Current area: Void

Team Blademaster (Ooo)
bulbasaur
[Minh T.] Bulbasaur (F) <Overgrow>
Energy: 88%
Commands used: Sleep Powder @ Blue Team ~ Leech Seed @ Abtruse ~ Leech Seed @ Sandshark
Current area: Wood

The Arbitrarily-Colored Blue Team

Team Negrek (Ooo)
bronzor
[Abtruse] Bronzor (X) <Levitate>
Health: 70% (capped)
Energy: 97%
Commands used: asleep ~ asleep ~ asleep
Asleep (mild)
Current area: Metal

Team Phoenixsong (Ooo)
sandshrew
[Sandshark] Sandshrew (F) <Sand Veil>
Health: 97%
Energy: 97%
Commands used: asleep ~ asleep ~ asleep
Asleep (mild), seeded by Minh T. (3% per round)
Current area: Earth​

Arena status:
The Fire, Wood, Earth, Water, and Void areas are unchanged.

In the Metal area, some seedlings have taken hold of a couple of smaller gears on the side closer to the Wood area. If a battler steps in them, the seedlings may grab onto the Pokemon.

Ref’s notes:
1. Pokedex used: Veekun @ http://veekun.com/
2. Random number generator used: @ http://javascript.internet.com/games/dice-roller.html
3. All the field effects said was a “slight increase in power” for a matched zone and attack-type, so I arbitrarily assigned it a value of 2% added (after all other calculations). This only affected Faint Attack. Speaking of arbitrary, I assigned team colors to make them easier to distinguish: red and blue!
4. Mephistopheles expended an extra 2% energy to stay hidden with Faint Attack long enough for Minh T. to use Sleep Powder.
5. Minh T. expended an extra 1% energy to spread Sleep Powder over a more widespread area (since Abtruse and Sandshark were each on opposite sides of her). This gave both Abtruse and Sandshark an Asleep (moderate) condition.
6. Mephistopheles’s Fire Fang reduced Abtruse’s Asleep condition to mild. With a good dice roll, Sandshark was able to reduce her Asleep condition to mild on the same action.
7. Minh T.’s first Leech Seed missed Abtruse, but her second hit Sandshark.
8. Abtruse took minimal damage (1%) for its hard landing on the third action after Shadow Ball. Well, it would have, but at that point it had already hit the cap.
8. On each action, Abtruse and Sandshark expended mild (1%) energy to try to wake up.
9. Abtruse’s uncapped HP would be 69%. Nobody else was capped.
9. In the next round, the red team (Houndoom_Lover and Blademaster) would attack first if this weren’t just a tryout reffing.

I'll be doing the mock grading on my downtime like I did last week, so I'll extend the same offer as I did before if there are any people out there just dying to do the same prompt before it goes away.

Paychecks

Aethelstan: 1 = $3
Dragon: 1 2 = $12
Kratos Aurion: 1 2 3 = $30
MurrMurr: 1 = $6
Negrek: 1 2 3 4 = $40

Jack_the_PumpkinKing

Your battle description is fine; although long, the round was overall enjoyable to read. However, I would have to disagree with the way that you reffed some things, primarily as a result of the conditions of the arena—

It’s stated in the arena description that it takes one action to move from one area of the arena to another. If that’s the case, then while Mephistopheles could have moved from the Void and into the Metal area with a faint attack in one action, I don’t know that she would have been able to “attack” with the faint attack in the same action. It’s a bit of a difficult call on that one, given that faint attack tends to ignore environmental obstacles; however, the knockback on a shadow ball definitely shouldn’t have been enough to put her back into the void arena—she’d need to have flown at least seven feet or so in order to cross the boundary back into the void zone, and you’d need a lot of power behind an attack to get recoil like that, even ignoring the fact that crossing zone lines is supposed to take an action.

I’m also a bit leery of the fact that Minh T. was able to hit two opponents that were on opposite sides of her with what is normally a single-target attack; it was good that you reduced the severity of the sleep they got from the sleep powder as a result of its being spread out, but the targets were nowhere near each other. It seems a bit overpowered to speak of extending a sleep powder cloud to a diameter of fifteen feet or so; while it’s possible to spread out attacks that only affect one opponent most of the time, they are reduced in power as a result (which you got) and there is a logical limit to how far you can take it; I just don’t see a sleep powder hitting opponents on completely opposite sides of the user who were any considerable distance away.

Leech seed usually does 1% health damage per action, which is how it adds up to 3% damage per round. Sandshark wouldn’t take 3% damage from it after just one action. You mentioned that a little energy reached Minh. T from the leech seed, but I don’t see that reflected in her health/energy total—unless it was just a point or two of health, and it didn’t actually get added because she was already at 100%?

Aside from that bit with leech seed already mentioned, the health and energy calculations are fine.

Rather tough choice, here; I do like your battle description, and there wasn’t any real serious issue with your calculations. Really, the only thing I have a problem with is the way that you handled the arena, or at least how some of the attacks that went on interacted with it; I’m not sure that I want to hold you back from a promotion just for that, but at the same time the elite position is supposed to be pretty exacting to get into…

Soo, on Sunday I’ll look over some of your other recent reffings and factor those into my decision whether or not to promote you, the same way that I would for anybody who requested a review for promotion. I intend to do some reviewing next week when I get stable internet again, since my inability to be here much over the summer means I haven’t been paying as much attention to people’s reffings as I ordinarily would, but I’ll do yours first since you took the initiative to do the elite mock. Does that work for you?

Edit: How did that end up so long?

Leech seed usually does 1% health damage per action, which is how it adds up to 3% damage per round. Sandshark wouldn’t take 3% damage from it after just one action.
Oh, oops. That was because it wasn't in the replies on the Energy/Damage Guide (or maybe I forgot to look >_>) and rather than ask I remembered that leech seed was used in the battle you reffed between me and Astral, so I looked back there to see the health cost per round without thinking whether it was a deduction on each action or a lump per-round cost.

You mentioned that a little energy reached Minh. T from the leech seed, but I don’t see that reflected in her health/energy total—unless it was just a point or two of health, and it didn’t actually get added because she was already at 100%?
Yes, she was undamaged at the end of the round, so she couldn't get topped off past 100%.

Soo, on Sunday I’ll look over some of your other recent reffings and factor those into my decision whether or not to promote you, the same way that I would for anybody who requested a review for promotion. I intend to do some reviewing next week when I get stable internet again, since my inability to be here much over the summer means I haven’t been paying as much attention to people’s reffings as I ordinarily would, but I’ll do yours first since you took the initiative to do the elite mock. Does that work for you?
Of course! For your convenience, I'm going to point out that at the bottom of my profile, I have links to all my reffings. Take your time, and thank you for reviewing my mock!

Go for it. I'm about to take mine.

You have until the next set of paychecks is posted to pick up an old one.

Back
Top Bottom