• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Referee Headquarters

I'd like to try again.
2 vs. 2
Single battle
Disqualification: 7 days
Restrictions: No moves created after first generation (see description) or direct recovery moves
Damage Cap: 50%
Set style
Arena: Old Cinnabar Island
Description: Due to a mechanical error involving a Xatu, a PC transferring Pokéballs, and forty-two paperclips, you have been transported to a beach on Cinnabar Island in 1995. The sky is sort of grey, as is the water, the sand is uniformly tan, and all the plants on the nearby volcanic mountain are the same shade of green. There are also a lot of boxes scattered along the beach, colored in black and white squares.

If someone sends out a pokemon that would not exist in this time (anything not first generation), the pokemon looks like the nearest equivalent from first generation (for example, a Ralts would look like an Abra, a Houndour like a Growlithe, and a Munchlax like a very small Snorlax). Their movesets don't change, but trying to use a non-first generation move will cause the words "404 error" to flash across the sky

Live HappySlip
[Kythis] Scyther [M]
oldscyther.gif

Ability: Technician
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Chosen attacks: Mimic ~ Wing Attack ~ Wing Attack

Ole_Schooler
oldgastly.gif

[Fred] Ghastly (Female)
Ability: Levitate
Health: 100%
Chosen attacks: Thunderbolt ~ Hypnosis/Thunderbolt ~ Dream Eater/Hypnosis/Thunderbolt

The two trainers and referee appeared on the beach of Cinnabar Island, but it seemed different, the volcano hadn’t erupted and it was in black and white. Ole_Schooler tossed out his pokéball releasing a female Ghastly unimaginatively called Fred and Live HappySlip copied him releasing a male Scyther called Kythis.

Kythis moved first he heard his trainer say to use mimic, but he couldn’t think what that was and just stood there. Fred however had no problem with his attack and charged up some electrical energy launching a deadly bolt of thunder which struck Kythis causing him some very painful super-effective damage, but failing to paralyze him.

<Kythis: -1 energy -10 health, Fred: -6 energy>

Kythis moves first attacking Fred with an outstretched wing smacking the lightweight ball of gas flying with more power than expected due to his expertise in using weaker moves. Fred recovering from this blow stares into Kythis’ eyes while his own eyes glowed an eerie red by the time Kythis realized what was going on the ghost’s psychic powers of hypnosis were to strong and his eyes closed as he drifted into an unnatural sleep.

<Kythis: -3 energy, Fred: -3 energy -11 health>

Kythis still asleep is lying on his back dreaming when his head starts to feel empty and starts hurting, Fred is standing over him smiling as a pink glow fades from his eyes and enjoying the taste of the dream he had just eaten.

<Kythis: -12 health, Fred: -7 energy, +6 health>

Live HappySlip
[Kythis] Scyther [M]
oldscyther.gif

Ability: Technician
Health: 78%
Energy: 96%
Executed attacks: Mimic ~ Wing Attack ~ asleep

Ole_Schooler
[Fred] Ghastly (Female)
oldgastly.gif

Ability: Levitate
Health: 95%
Energy: 84%
Executed attacks: Thunderbolt ~ Hypnosis ~ Dream Eater

I'll try the Advanced level mock.

3v3
Single battle
DQ: 2 weeks
Restrictions: no OHKO moves, one recovery move per round, weather moves
Damage cap: none
Arena: Hell (sim)
The arena is technically a high-tech virtual reality room, but that doesn't actually matter to the battle; I only say that so religious people don't take offense to this place being "Hell".

There is no water. At all. The effect of the heat is essentially that of Sunny Day, except you don't get Chlorophyll et al type boosts, and Solarbeam still has to charge; otherwise, fire moves are boosted, water moves are weakened, etc.

Essentially, the insides kind of look like a cave. There are stalagmites but no stalactites, as there is no ceiling. There is, however, a collection of smoke roughly 75 feet in the air. This smoke is highly toxic. Not only does it temporarily paralyze a Pokemon (just enough for it to drop to the ground; it's not necessarily the paralysis status), but it inflicts Toxic-level poison as well (this is permanent). Basically, don't fly too high; the sky's not the limit (I had to say it). The smoke cannot be blown away with Whirlwind, etc. Also, the smoke blocks all weather moves.

Though the arena is a cave, it's not dark. On random intervals, fire and/or magma shoot up from the ground. When this happens, it will leave a hole in the ground; fire and magma can still shoot back up from a used hole. Falling into these is probably a bad idea. The fire will not boost Flash Fire and the likes; it's hellfire. The fire and magma have a 50% chance of burning any Pokemon that's hit; however, as Fire-types apparently can't be burned, they only sustain damage. Water-types that are hit with the fire and/or magma will find that they cannot produce water from their bodies for 2 rounds.

There are no wild Pokemon to interfere. Satan is also too busy to mess around.

Hell. Not a nice place. It is burning hot down here. No one in their right mind would load this simulated arena. Or so you thought. Two people appear and take opposite sides of the arena. They stand. and wait. Where is the third? After an hour, an Ursaring comes through the door. He is carrying a suitcase. He goes to set it down on the table and open it in a cool style, but as he looks around, he realizes, there is no table. He sighs, and opens his briefcase. He removes a full size table that is way to big to fit in the case. He sets the table on the ground and closes the case. Then he sets the case on the table and opens it up in a cool style. The trainers regret taking this ref.

Finally the arena loads. A deep cavern, with stalagmites jabbing from the ground, one nearly impales the ref as it ascends. In the far background fire shoots up to let the battlers know the arena has loaded. The Ursaref removes three flags from his case. A red, a Green, and a white one. He waves the white one as he goes over the rules one last time.

The battlers throw out their Pokémon. From the red corner, a ...teddy bear? Oh... A teddiursa. And from the blue corner, a Houndour. Houndour just looks around as if he loves the design, while Bearform is nervously licking his paws. The Ursaring waves the green flag and the trainers give the commands.

AceofAces (OOO)
Teddiursa
(Bearform) (M)
Ability: Quick Feet
HP: 100%
Condition: Stable
Commands: Double Team ~ Focus Punch ~ Mud Slap / Rock Tomb

Alaphlosiam (OOO)
Houndour
[Cerberus] (M)
Ability: Early Bird
HP: 100%
Condition: Stable
Commands: Nasty Plot / Fire Blast ~ Will-o-Wisp / Nasty Plot ~ Flamethrower​

Of the two battlers Cerberus was moving first. He begins plotting Bearform's downfall in the most painful way he can. He begins to laughs and Bearform is a little spooked. By the time Cerberus is finished, he has chosen a torturous plan and is feeling much stronger. Bearform decides he can't trust Cerberus and figures there is safety in numbers. He begins to run around at unnatural speed for a Teddiursa and his image begins to blur. When he has finished, there are two more Teddiursa.

<Bearform -2E,| Cerberus -3E, +2 Sp. Atk​

Cerberus looked at the three Teddiursa. They looked like they were all focusing hard, and their clenched fist glowing white. Cerberus had a bad feeling but pushed it away and began charge Will O Wisp He was unsure which was real so he pick the last one. He gathered flames in his mouth and sent them sailing. The bluish-green flames resembled an ord as they danced around. They struck their target, but went straight through it. The clone disappeared, leaving only two. Finally, the Bearforms ran at Cerberus, screeching fiercely. They both slammed their fist into Cerberus's head and he was sent flying. He stood up but that last attack hurt!

<Cerberus - 3E, -32HP | Bearfom -8E​

Cerberus was angry at Bearform for this. He must pay for that! he thought. What were his commands again? Flamethrower. Perfect. Just what he needed to get revenge. He breathed in deeply. He exhaled suddenly and a rush of flames fly out. As they traveled to the Bearforms, they seemed to enlarge due to the heat and began change to blue. The real Teddiursa was hit and it cried out in pain. Cerberus snapped his mouth shut and cut off the tongue of flames. The remaining Double Team clone vanished, the real being determined. In retaliation, Bearform stomped hard on the ground. the ground around Cerberus suddenly explodes and covers him in rock, crushing and burying him under the rubble.

<Bearform -14HP, -6E | Cerberus -5E, -6HP>

The Ursaref waves the white flag again signaling the end of the round.

Alaphlosiam (OOO)
Houndour
[Cerberus] (M)
Ability: Early Bird
HP: 62% (-38%)
Energy: 89% (-11%)
Condition: -1 Speed, +2 Special Attack.
Commands: Nasty Plot / Fire Blast ~ Will-o-Wisp / Nasty Plot ~ Flamethrower
Moves Preformed: Nasty Plot ~ Will-O-Wisp ~ Flamethrower

AceofAces (OOO)
Teddiursa
(Bearform) (M)
Ability: Quick Feet
HP: 78% (-22%)
Energy: 84% (-16%)
Condition: Missing some fur from where it was burnt.
Commands: Double Team ~ Focus Punch ~ Mud Slap / Rock Tomb

Ursaref's Notes:
  • Double Team made two clones because no amount was specified and I use 12.5 speed for 1 clone, thus only two were made
  • However, one was destroyed by the missed Will-O-Wisp
  • And the other disappeared when Flamethrower hit the real one
  • Focus Punch on action 2 was a critical hit
  • Aceofaces commands fist next round
  • I failref and don't get approved.

Summergale

Your battle description is good.

You would typically make note of the fact that a pokémon had learned a new move through mimic in the ending stats.

Energy and damage calculations look okay as well, though I kind of wonder why you considered hypnosis and dream eater particularly easy for gastly to perform; I guess because the ghosts have at times been shown to create illusions? It's not something I would do myself, but it's not a huge deal, really. However, dream eater only gives back half of the health or energy that it steals, whereas you appeared to have returned it all.

Aside from the dream eater issue, it's a good reffing. I imagine that you may still have some trouble with the details of how moves work, but I'm willing to let you give it a shot. Approved

Sage Noctowl

The battle description is pretty good this time around. Keep it up.

However, a pokémon is not obligated to move first if it's faster than its opponents. It simply has the option of doing so. Because Kythis was commanded to mimic thunderbolt, he would have waited until the attack was used, then mimicked it afterwards; he shouldn't have lost his first action entirely.

Personally, I would have treated wing attack as a 90-bp rather than 60-bp attack for the purpose of calculating its energy (and would have added to, not subtracted from, hypnosis' base cost, for that matter). Also, dream eater seems to have dealt quite a bit of damage, considering that gastly is a baseform pokémon and doesn't get STAB on the attack--its power should be reduced from 100, not increased.

This is definitely an improvement on your previous reffings, but it's not quite there yet. There's a little funkiness in your energy and damage yet, and not having scyther able to use mimic because it was too fast is a pretty big goof. Not Approved

Blackthorne Steele

It's kind of disorienting to have you flip between calling pokémon "its" ("Fred, the gastly with the ironic name, rubbed its molecules together...") and calling them by their actual sex (..."getting as much static to pulse through her body as possible.") in general, and changing it up within one sentence is worse. Usually people call them by their sex in reffings, unless it's unknown. Whichever you way you go, though, try to make it consistent.

At the moment, a mimicked move is used immediately, so Kythis should have fired back a thunderbolt on the first action.

Overall the description isn't bad, aside from a little grammatical awkwardness here and there.

There are problems with your energy and damage nunbers, however. First, Kythis has technician, so wing attack should have started with a base power of 90 rather than 60. 4% energy for an attack of that power seems quite steep, though, considering that you only docked 5% energy from Fred for a thunderbolt--it definitely should have taken more than that; I wouldn't expect anything but a fully-evolved electric type to be able to sling it around for that little energy. Dream eater, likewise, should have been more expensive.

Your problems here are primarily in the energy and damage department and, specifically, energy. You aren't charging enough for some powerful attacks here, although hypnosis and mimic costs, for example, are fine. Check back over your work there and see what's up. Not Approved

Now, if that bribe had been real...

thunder

Your description could still really use some attention to punctuation, as you have problems with sentences getting smashed together into really long, unbroken chunks. You also have problems in sticking to one tense, skipping from past to present or vice versa often, sometimes multiple times in the same sentence.

Scyther can learn mimic--by TM in generation one and more recently by tutor.

I would probably bump the amount of energy Fred would need to use thunderbolt and dream eater up by a point or two, given that gastly is a baseform pokémon and those attacks don't get STAB. In addition, I definitely would have increased the energy cost for wing attack: it's a 90bp attack after technician, so it should be treated more or less like thunderbolt and almost definitely have cost more than 3% energy. Damage looks good, except for dream eater; I'm not sure why you increased its damage potential above its base 10%, but given that it is, again, not a STAB attack and coming from a gastly, it should have gone down in power rather than up.

Both your description and calculations have issues, unfortunately; do your best to get a handle on the grammar and punctuation problems in the written portion first. The numerical issues aren't too severe--you just undercosted some of the attacks. Not Approved

Brock

Your battle description is a bit messy in terms of grammar and punctuation; you have a lot of comma problems going on and some other missing punctuation that you probably could catch with a little proofreading (a missing period at the end of a sentence, for example). You also shift tenses on occasion. The actual description aspect of the battle isn't too bad, though I don't think I would quite call it advanced level, but right now it's made difficult to read by mechanical concerns.

I'm not sure why you had Bearform use rock tomb on the final action--he was told to do that if will-o-wisp hit him, which it didn't.

It would be great if you could think of some way to indicate in the narration that the focus punch was a critial hit. I wouldn't have guessed that it was if I hadn't read the ending notes.

Focus punch shouldn't have done 32% damage, even factoring in the critical hit... I'm not really sure how you arrived at that number, but focus punch would be doing around 14% damage to start with, 21% after super-effectiveness, and then another 7% for the critical. Flamethrower, on the other hand, should have been boosted by the arena's "sunny day" attribute in addition to the nasty plot. Rock tomb looks fine, however. Flamethrower should have cost more than 5% energy to use, and I probably would have taken a little more energy for the focus punch as well. On the other hand, 6% energy is rather steep for a rock tomb--you made it more expensive than flamethrower, an attack with nearly double the power.

Both the description and the calculations could use a bit of work. I can't say that either of them is really worse than the other at this point; do your best to improve on both fronts. Not Approved

Kammington

Aside from the odd grammatical problem, your description is decent. However, you get quite vague on the matter of how exactly Bearform "made mud" out of the rocky floor of a cave. If it were dirt or something and you had a water type, then it would be easy enough for them to mix up some mud, but mud-slap really doesn't make any sense in this arena.

I hope you would have more class than to insult the nicknames of the battlers' pokémon in an actual reffing.

Four energy is way too low for flamethrower; perhaps you were thinking that the "sunny day" effect of the arena would lower the energy cost of a fire attack? Sunny day usually doesn't. You then had mud-slap cost more energy... I don't know, maybe if I knew how the mud was produced (it could well be a high-energy affair, given how inappropriate it is for the arena) I'd see more clearly how it could possibly be more expensive than flamethrower, but as it is I'm not really convinced.

Hrm, description is good enough to be approved as novice, but the mud-slap thing kind of came back to bite you a couple of times in this. On top of that, the energy issue with flamethrower sinks you. Not Approved

Paychecks

Alraunne: 1 2 = $14
Blastoise: 1 = $7
blazheirio889: 1 2 = $26
Chiropter: 1 2 = $26
Heavy Lobster: 1 = $7
Kratos Aurion: 1 2 3 4 = $42
L'il Dwagie: 1 = $7
Metallica Fanboy: 1 2 3 4 5 = $50
Mike the Foxhog: 1 2 3 4 5 = $65
Negrek: 1 2 3 4 5 6 = $78
Psymon: 1 = $7
Shadow Serenity: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 + $5 = $117
Togetic: 1 2 3 = $21

Last edited:
I can explain Flamethrower, I was under the impression the Sunny Day only gave 1.25 boost, and I felt being in such an arena, the sunny day like affects and the heat made it easier to use Flamethrower.

And for some odd resaon I felt like Bearform should use Rock Tomb just because I didn't think it would be easy at all for Bearform to make Mud, and all I could think of was spit and crush rocks. So I moved over to Rock Tomb.

I figured that as a result of both the effects of the arena and Cerberus' familiarity with the arena (it's a hellhound, duh), it would have an easier time summoning fire.

As for Mud-Slap... it spit on some dirt/eroded rocks/whatnot to form a substance that was close enough to mud.

I can explain Flamethrower, I was under the impression the Sunny Day only gave 1.25 boost, and I felt being in such an arena, the sunny day like affects and the heat made it easier to use Flamethrower.
Right, I forgot I changed that multiplier. In any case, sunny day does not reduce the energy cost of fire attacks.

And for some odd resaon I felt like Bearform should use Rock Tomb just because I didn't think it would be easy at all for Bearform to make Mud, and all I could think of was spit and crush rocks. So I moved over to Rock Tomb.
Typically pokemon don't revert to their alternative commands if one of their primaries doesn't work out. However, you should make note of that sort of thing if you do it.

I figured that as a result of both the effects of the arena and Cerberus' familiarity with the arena (it's a hellhound, duh), it would have an easier time summoning fire.
Make note of that. Although how would being familiar with the arena have anything to do with it? It's not like it was conjuring fire from the environment.

As for Mud-Slap... it spit on some dirt/eroded rocks/whatnot to form a substance that was close enough to mud.
Great. Next time that should be in your description.

Back
Top Bottom