• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Open Rift in the Dimensions

A voice rang out on the plains, a human one, more exactly. It sounded oddly familiar... And it was calling out Taunos' name. Taunos turned in the general direction, and listened as hard as he could. There were two shapes in the distance.

Taunos raised his staff and waved it around, "Do come closer and we'll see!", he shouted, glad to see someone who, seemed, familiar.

At that moment, the sound of something falling through the sky could be heard. A green meteor fell from the heavens and struck the ground. Taunos was thrown back and hit the ground. Luckily, Geralt was standing a suitable distance away.

However, that wasn't the end of it. As Taunos recovered and stood up, a form emerged from the burning impact. A large, black golem, burning with green flames rose from the pyre, making a sort of fiery, rocky shout after it successfully stood up.

"An infernal?!", Taunos said in disbelief, "We're certainly getting close. Be careful, this one is immune to spells, and keep your distance, the green flames will burn through anything they lick."

As he redied himself against a foe who had stacked the deck against him, doomguard appeared. Three of them, large, red demons, standing nearly as tall as the infernal. And, to complement them all, a pack of felhounds led the charge.

"The fate of the world," Taunos said mostly to himself, "truly is at stake, hm?"

Immediately, one of the felhounds seized on Taunos, but Geralt stopped it with a wide, swift stroke from his silver sword. He backed up against Taunos, ready to stop all that came the shaman's way.

One of the doomguard began channeling a rain of fire spell, and small flaming rocks came down upon a circular area, Taunos and Geralt being near the edge of the spell. Taunos threw down his water totem and cast a fire resistance spell, which made the air feel chilled, but lessened the impact of the doomguard's fire spell.

Kuro heard the thing that Sand called Taunos say not to get too close to the things that had just appeared. Well, there goes plan A. And it's not night so plan B is too risky.

Plan C it is, then.
"C'mon Sand, we're going closer."

"W-what? Are you insane, woman?" He paused. "Don't answer that, by the way. I know the answer."

"I can't exactly throw daggers from here, Sand."

"But you'll lose your daggers! And I can't risk my team's life!"

"And neither can I. Now come on." Kuro grabbed Sand and sped off to the group. As soon as she arrived she dropped Sand and pull daggers out of her pockets. "Hello. We're here to help." With that she threw daggers at a felhound. She winced at the feeling of the fire attack. She never had dealt well with heat...

Logoth was at first astounded at the red creatures. But then he remembered what those felhounds could do.
"Those red ones are mine!" Logoth shouted.
He drew instead of his huge sword a small 1 handed axe and a beautiful dirk that he was using an underhand method with. He charged the three creatures. He closed the gap between them incredibly fast. He ran up his oppenent's body and thrust his dirk into the creature's shoulder.

Vai looked at the approaching horde, an army, it could be called, and raised her daggers warily. "Oh shit," she said simply, and glowing marks appeared on her weapons. Drawing symbols in the air with them, marks appeared above the heads of her every ally, speeding them up three times more than they normally would be. Doing that had drained her energy, Vai realized, and she noted she'd be next to useless on the offensive mow. That was great.

Already starting to tire, Vai sunk her daggers into a felhound that charged towards her, and tossed it aside, leaping on it as it hit the ground.
((Uh, that's Haste, guess what it does.))

"Bonecrusher, cover me!" Spire yelled as he took aim at the giant being covered in green flames, "I need time!"

Bonecrusher nodded, signaled Raavge, and the two of them opened fire with energy blasts at the giant, as they did so, Spire's cannon changed from neon green and brown to bright yellow and brown. As he charged the cannon, a glowing electric orb formed at the tip.

"Let's hope this guy takes the full blast of the Driver," Spire muttered as he opened fire. The orb burst fully from the tip of the cannon and moved toward the being.

((If the Volt Driver connects, it causes the target to have distorted vision for a breif period of time.))

Galacta Knight looked to the bodyguards surrounding him. "Get out of my sight." he muttered to them, and immediately they ran. He didn't need their help.

Suspended in the air a fair distance away from the infernal, he summoned his beam whip and violently lashed at it and the doomguards. He was determined to keep at this until they all went down.

((Urr, fail post is fail. But there's nothing else to post.))

"Holy sh-"

Tails immediately pulled out two Fire Shield devices, one for himself and one for Sonic. It wouldn't be enough to make direct contact with the infernal, but it would at least keep them safe from immediately being burned to death from grazing it. They activated them with a whoosh.

"Tails!" Sonic yelled, "You direct your attacks on the big one. I won't be able to attack it, so I'll take care of the little guys. And remember to keep your distance!" Tails nodded, and Sonic grinned. "Still have any Power Rings? This situation calls for one, don't you think?"

"Yeah, we've only used one so far, remember?" Tails said, pulling one out. "We have plenty left." He tossed it to Sonic. Swiftly catching it, Sonic felt the energy well up in him. His grin became wider.

"Ready...? GO!" He held the ring up and with a flash of light became little more than a blur, dashing along the field and darting from one felhound to another. Tails meanwhile took his normal position in the air. He armed his blaster and began to charge energy.

((Raikou, you just made me ask myself an important question. Do magical constructs have vision as we know it?))

The orb of energy struck the infernal. It's vision was overwhelmed by white light caused by the non-magical projectile.

Geralt saw this opening and rushed the demonic construct with unnatural speed. As he approached, the flames that clung to the infernal's body didn't feel quite as bad as they appeared, their impact lessened by Taunos' totem. He took a swift strike with his silver sword, designed to harm magical beings, but had to retreat due to the intense heat. The infernal was clearly hurt, but stood strong nonetheless. It swung and flailed in pain, spreading the intense heat that naturally emanated from it's body.

Geralt had suddenly rushed off as another felhound looked to drain Taunos. He swatted it off with a reaction strike from his staff, and then a wild blue blur crashed onto the felhound, before bounding off to strike other helpless felhounds. Following that, Taunos fired a shot of lightning at the one that attacked him. After smoking the felhound dead, the lightning bolt leapt to 3 others, crippling them.

Sensing some sort of energy in the air, one of the doomguard swung it's burning sword at Tails. The sword sent a rock, smoldering green with demon flame, hurtling at Tails.

Another of the doomguard was taken aback at the sight of a human almost as tall as itself, and was struck by a dagger to the shoulder. The doomguard then raised it's other arm, pointing at Logoth, then aimed a curse at him which severly slowed victims in every way, preventing fast movements.

Geralt caught his breath, and then started a run towards the doomguard that Logoth was fighting, the unnatural speed from Vai's spell starting to kick in before it stopped. Another one of the doomguard had dispelled it. Geralt noticed it nearby, ran, and aimed a swing, blocked by the doomguard's own burning blade.

Letting the felhound fall to the ground, Vai stepped back from it and stopped to catch her breath as another leapt on her back from behind, knocking her to the ground. She spun and pointed her daggers up, laughing a bit as the felhound jumped and speared itself on her daggers. Monsters were stupid.

((Monsters are stupid.))

Seeing that his attack had worked, Spire fired off another fully charged Volt Driver at the construct. Bonecrusher and Ravage fired off more energy, but this time at the felhounds.

"So many of these creatures to destroy," Bonecrusher said, "Is this what war truly is?"

"Well, there was a reason we and the others fled from Cybertron," Ravage said, "We didn't want to do what we are doing now."

((I'm just going to forget that last attack, since it wasn't included anyway.))

Deciding to pick off some of the felhounds, Galacta Knight hovered slightly, aiming his lance at the ground, and then struck the earth. It left a dent in the ground beneath, and sent a tall, pillar-like twister towards three of the beasts, blowing up a cloud of dust in its wake.

((Bleh. I hate short posts like these.))

Logoth suddently slowed involuntarily. He figured magic but his momentum kept him going as he kicked the other creature in the nose. A sickening crunch sounded,
"Sorry!"

Tails shrieked as the rock hurdled towards him. He sharply raised altitude, the rock grazing the shiel with a loud whoosh. He took out a bomb and tossed it into the enemy forces. "Look out below!" he shouted to his own team. He charged his blaster again, aiming for the massive beast's face.

((Sorry for the delay and the shortpost. Wii internet sucks.))

((Don't cite tvtropes or I will never get anything done! D=))

Most of the felhounds had perished at this point. Taunos weakened the rest with his spells, but was now running low on mana and would have to rest. However, at that point, he recalled that he could simply recycle the magic on a totem for mana. The party would have to forfeit fire resistance, but Taunos needed mana to keep fighting. He ran and scooped up his water totem and gathered the energy to cast a mana spring spell. Dropping it, he almost immediately felt the magic energy returning to his fingertips.

One of the doomguard turned it's attention towards Taunos, but felt a sharp nick from a steel blade. Geralt had tried to hamstring it, and while it didn't quite work, the doomguard's attention was turned away. Geralt quickly and roughly blocked as the large burning blade came down. Geralt parried away, and tried another slash. The doomguard easily blocked. Geralt focused his energy and motioned his off-hand, casting the aard sign. A wave of telekinetic force hit the doomguard, sending it back. Geralt then leapt and tried a downward strike. Off by a bit, his sword bit into the doomguard's shoulder, causing it to reel back in pain and try a clumsier strike, which Geralt pirouetted out of the way of.

The doomguard reeled back from the blow to it's face. Sensing that the crippling curse wasn't quite enough, it stomped the ground with an immense force, much like tauren would, though the tauren had to call upon earth spirits to creat the disorienting shake that doomguard produced through their own demonic energies. The doomguard then quickly aimed a horizontal slash at Logoth.

Locating the source of the blasts, the infernal ran straight at Spire, through another energy blast.

((Short posts are fine, as long as I can process them. Makes me look better. =D))

Last edited:
Logoth let go of the dirk landed the ground next to the doomguard he kicked. It stomped with enormous force, then swung down a flaming blade. It was stopped by Logoth thick armor but it still sent him flying. He shook his head after he landed still slower than normal,
"I can do that too! Blizzaden!"
The blade became encased with ice. He spun several timesbefore making a chopping movement towards the creature. The ice flew off straight at the Doomguard's neck.

(Well, Storm Earth and Fire wants me to come in and help him bring this arc to a close... so here goes... My character, by the way, is already listed in the OOC, and was for a long time.)

In the middle of the sky, a bright object appeared from seemingly nowhere, looking at first like a blue star. The glow slowly began to fade, however, as the object landed on top of one of the doomguards. When the glow subsided enough, though it never disappeared completely, a tiny, light-blue creature, looking reminiscent of a mixture between a lizard and a moth, could be seen. It was only maybe a foot long, a vast difference between it and the enormous doomguard. A telepathic message was then sent to the party members.

"Very impressive. I knew there were off-worlders here, but I didn't expect you to be so strong. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Zook, a Faerie Dragon from these realms. I would like to transmit an invitation from my master, Kil'jaeden. He would be very pleased to meet you in person."

The demons around paused their attack on the heroes, looking at the little critter before them. Then, however, Zook began to glow more brightly, and this glow surrounded the doomguard under him, with small, white bubbles of energy emerging out of the demon's body. The doomguard soon collapsed, dropping his weapon and laying unmoving, lifeless. Seeing this, the remaining, surviving demons scattered out running away. Zook appeared to absorb the glow into his own body, and flew up toward the heroes, hovering in front of Geralt in particular.

"The citadel is just ahead," the Faerie Dragon transmitted telepathically. "It will be visible to you now. I look forward to our next meeting."

With that, he disappeared, just as quickly as he appeared in the first place, leaving only a sparkling 'poof' for a few seconds, before that too dissipated.

"...What the devil was that?", Geralt asked Taunos, walking up to him after the faerie dragon, Zook, disappeared.

"That was," Taunos explained, "a faerie dragon. If I remember what some druids told me, they normally remain within the Emerald Dream. The faerie dragons exist to ensure that magic does not enter the Emerald Dream and corrupt it. I may have caught a fleeting glimpse of one in a battle, hard to see at times because they can shift out of reality so suddenly, but I have never been so close to one. Since I myself am not a druid, I couldn't tell you much more, except that they seem to be most in league with the night elves. I'm surprised it approached you, Geralt, though perhaps it is just fascinated by extra-dimensional beings."

"I see...", Geralt responded, a bit amazed, "That's probably it. I'm just an ordinary witcher."

"Wait...", Taunos said, "Zook's master... Kil'jaeden?! And I had figured faerie dragons would be immune to demonic corruption..."

"Whose that?", Geralt simply asked.

"A cunning demonic master. In fact, he may even be the supreme commander of the Burning Legion at this point, with Archimonde dead and Sargeras banished...", Taunos answered, making sure everyone could hear him now, "I have heard that it is Kil'jaeden that created the Lich King, unleashing the undead Scourge upon this world. Interestingly enough, I have fought him, alongside many blood elves and some Forsaken at the Sunwell. I figured he wouldn't die so easily... He certainly earned his title of 'the Deceiver'. Make sure you're ready for this, there's not much I can say, no way of knowing if this could proceed like the Sunwell fight."

Putting some sticks and rocks together, Geralt then cast the igni sign and started the campfire. Both he and Taunos sat down to rest. Taunos pulled out a bottle of water and drank the whole thing.

"So... this is it?", Geralt asked, "A showdown with the supreme commander of the Burning Legion."

"Perhaps it is.", Taunos answered, "Or perhaps it is the beginning of something more."

Kuro's daggers had missed, repeatedly. She walked around the battlefield, picking them up and returning them to her pocket before walking back and addressing the group.

"Well that was... anti-climatic." Kuro said.

"Anti-climatic is an understatement..." Sand muttered, shaking his head. "And we might have a huge battle? Zomi would be jealous."

"Still," Kuro said, "We need to be careful. A battle is a battle."

Logoth was stunned by the blue creature. He pulled off he helmet and simply stared. Once it left he walked forward and pulled out the dirk from the dead doomguard's shoulder. He walked to Taunos and sat by the fire. He listened,
" Does he have a fortress or something?"
Logoth asked as he pulled out bread and hard cheese.

"A fortress...", Taunos said to himself.

"The, ah, faerie dragon, was it? It mentioned that this Kil'...jaeden? He has a citadel.", Geralt reminded.

"Ah, yes.", Taunos continued, "He's never in one place for very long. This citadel could be anywhere..."

Geralt looked around his bag.

"What is this...?", he pondered, pulling out a small wrapped up fish, "Obviously I need to reorganize."

"Still good?", Taunos asked.

"Doesn't look bad, strangely enough.", said Geralt.

"Stick it over the fire. No need to fight on an empty stomach.", Taunos said with a smile.

Geralt found a stick and did just that. However, Taunos suddenly focused in the direction he had been feeling the energies emanating from. In that direction, a fortress faded into view a good ways away.

"A cloaking spell.", Taunos noted, "Typical of the Deceiver. Now we know where we're headed."

He tossed an herb onto the fish, Taunos couldn't make anything without more anyway.

Back
Top Bottom