• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

'Shipping Fan Club~

I like darkfic, but am not a huge fan of relationship-type darkfic unless it has really cool psychological stuff. Otherwise... it kind of weirds me out. o.o

As for canon pairings... well, it depends if they're interesting or not. Some canon pairings bore me, some actively annoy me for not being interesting enough, and some I quite like. For example, Jasper/Ayara from Exit Fate is a pairing I love because the characters have a great dynamic, and I was thrilled when they became canon; on the other hand, Colette/Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia doesn't interest me in the slightest because it's so predictable. Bizarrely, I love Laharl/Flonne from Disgaea - not canon, but very cliche, which should turn me off it but doesn't because it's so sweet.

Uh, done with my little ramble now! xD

I like darkfic. I also like fluff! But I really hate the approach of a lot of dark pairingfic where they must kill someone off. Come on, guys. Leave all three of the main group alive. IT DOESN'T HAVE TO HAVE ANGST. IT REALLY DOESN'T. AND EVEN IF IT DOES NEED ANGST, IT'S NOT LIKE YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE AN ANGSTBERRYTREE TO PICK IT FROM WITHOUT KILLING SOMEONE OFF :(

I don't really like writing canon or heavily implied pairings -- not that I ... write much that's pairing related anyway and if it IS it's probably crack -- but I don't mind the pairings, usually. Only time I'm bothered by them is when it's like THIS IS MESSED UP AND NO ONE ELSE IS NOTICING WHAT

(I love this image I get of Danni accidentally reading a dark!fic, then just sitting and forcing it to lurk in the recesses of her mind. XD)

One day I'll just snap and kill everyone :)

Like I said, very few of my ships are canon, but most of the canon ships I do like end in tragedy of some kind, which makes reading happy, fluffy fic the perfect escape.
...And when I need to read something to cheer me up over Character X's untimely death, finding nothing but a bunch of really dark fics just makes me sad ):

That said, I find reconciling 'shipping characters set within the predictibility and familiarity of canon (as in, you know how they met/got together/etc.) with fanfiction (where lots of the fun lies in what we didn't get to see/what didn't happen) hard, but I've recently discovered how utterly fantastic uber!fics are. Crossovers and AUs are great, too, but since discovering a giant archive of Buffy (specifically Willow/Tara) uber!fics, I've become addicted.

Also, there's a small group of canon 'ships I love that I wouldn't go out of my way to read stuff about (again, because of the predictability factor), but my heart melts over any onscreen interaction the characters have. Ned and Chuck from Pushing Daisies fall firmly into this category :3

...And when I need to read something to cheer me up over Character X's untimely death, finding nothing but a bunch of really dark fics just makes me sad ):
I have a tendency to get into fandoms where every ship that should be mostly adorable (if messed up, but usually the adorable kind of messed up so it's fine if you handwave bits or just don't think about it too hard) then involves someone dying. Every time. And then nowhere near enough people write fluff of it. D:

What's an uber!fic?

\o/ I think pretty much everything I actually ship is crossover. ... also I think 90% of what I write is either crossover or AU. Huh.

Uberfics are bit like AU, but not exactly. I'm going to steal someone else's explanation because I can't explain anything without babbling on and on.

Where AU (Alternate Universe) fic generally supposes that the regular background of the characters occurs up to a certain point, where the story's background then diverges from the original, uberfic is fiction in which only the natures of the characters are retained. The characters may have lived lives completely different to those of their original setting, but (due largely to the indulgence of authors) their personalities are unchanged. Uber is a sub-genre of AU, with particular requirements.

You haven't lived till you've read fics in which the Buffy cast are starship pilots or secret agents or pirates or... I could go on. X3

Oh, there's a term for that?? I call them AU-but-not-really-kinda fics.

...I didn't know that even existed. =o

So, uh, random question! You know all those 'shipping memes and whatnot that go around deviantArt? I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a platonic 'shipping meme; I might make one. And if so, any ideas what questions would be best to include?

I used to have a major liking towards DarrenXDebbie shipping (from the Darren Shan series) Rereading Allies of the Night the other day it didn't seem as prominent and strong as it had when I had first read the book. Plus Debbie's description is WAY different to my vision of her (but then again, so would probably Darrens)

JackXIanto shipping FTW though.
JackAndIanto.jpg

I've only seen a little of Torchwood, but Jack/Ianto is very cool. Torchwood was made for shipping because pretty much the entire cast is bisexual and they have hints (or, y'know, making-out-sessions) between more or less everyone. The BBC rocks.

I'd like to see a platonic!shipping meme; If it's an art one, I don't think I'd do it because I can't do artwork straight onto the computer, and drawing everything on paper, scanning, cropping and resizing everything so it fits, etc., takes absolutely ages... but I'd love to see one.

Questions you could include:
What would character A do if B fell sick? (Edgar would visit an ill Chloe with lemsip, cards, flowers and chicken soup; Chloe would phone an ill Edgar and tell him how annoying it is that he's not at work because everyone else is incompetant)
What multiplayer video game would they play together? (Soul Calibur. Chloe would win by miles)

I'll post more if I think of them. Awesome idea! :D

I hadn't even thought of questions like that! x3 Those would definitely be fun~

EDIT: Ta-da!

Last edited:
Oh, man, I wish I could draw, because I could have so much fun with Alan Shore and Denny Crane on that. D: I could fill the whole thing out with "[INSERT DRAWING OF THIS HERE]", I guess.

Aaah, its fabulous! I really want to do it, but have no computer-drawing skills at all; I'd do stick-figures, but I can't even manage those with a touchpad. But it's so, so great <3

[INSERT DRAWING HERE] sounds cool! =D I'm interested to see what people's takes on this are, really~

Looking over it again, I think it'd be possible to do all of these for Willow and Xander (I adore their friend!relationship) using screencaps from Buffy.

In "different setting" they're both vampires in the episode Wish, they have a serious fight in The Yoko Factor, they're fluffy loads of the time, there's an absolutely adorable scene with Xander visting Willow in hospital in the series 2 finale, I don't think they ever play a video game together, they get paired with other people (yay for Tara and Anya!), but they do have a romantic thing going on for a short while in series 3.

*Tada!*

I do want to do an [INSERT PICTURE HERE] for Chloe and Edgar, though.

I would do this but I only ship romantic couples :/
Er, I guess I do find Baldrick and George's *~STRONG FRIENDSHIP~* in season four adorable? I could do that. I don't draw enough Baldricks ;~;

And yeah I really want to watch Torchwood but I just don't have enough time and I'm running out of money.

...hm. Does anybody else have this weird pattern where you'll be really into a pairing for a while, then sort of lose interest, then suddenly be all "OMG<3" suddenly again?

...that happens to me all. The. Time. o.o

(Cases in point: Neku/Joshua, Shin/Kotashi, Colette/Presea...)

...okay so. >>

Has anyone ever thought of a pairing and been all like, "haha, that would be hilarious" and not taken it seriously but been amused by it...

...and then decided that somehow, you really like the pairing and 'ship it?

(This totally hasn't happened to me or anything, obviously.)

Back
Top Bottom