• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Slang!

Squirrel

Lalala, lalala~
Something I get curious about once in a while. What sort of slang terms do you hear and use in your area?

Oh man you guys
dis mah thread yo

phrases:
away and bile yer heid - lit. 'go and boil your head'; fuck off, leave me alone
gaun yersel - a phrase used when cheering someone on. lit. 'go you!'
gonnae no - don't! (note: this is only used sarcastically)
it's baltic - it's cold! (note: in Scotland, the Baltic nations are apparently considered cold)
hee-haw - nothing
kerry oot - a carryout, ie. a six-pack of shitey beer

words:
bampot - a mentally unhinged person; a person who does stupid things
bint - a catty person. gender-specific to women
chebs - breasts
crabbit - grumpy or otherwise irritable
dingy - to ignore someone, esp. deliberately.

dreich - a grey, damp day. (note: must be pronounced like you are trying to choke yourself on your own spit)
empty - your house when your parents aren't in it. used for parties
fanny-baws - a man expressing allegedly weak and/or 'feminine' behaviour
fud - the vagina. also a pejorative term meaning 'idiot'
gutties - shitey shoes you used for P.E. also, plimsolls
manky, minger - a person who lacks personal hygiene

My area has genuinely awful slang. The only thing I can think of right now is "mardy", which means stroppy. Where I used to live it was "being in a benny" so I've begun to think that every single place has a different word for a hissy fit.

Otherwise people here just call eachother ducks a lot. :(

But what if it doesn't have anyone in it :o

Then it's an empty house! Hmm, compare:

I've got an empty this weekend - my parents are in Spain.
My house is going to be empty this weekend - we're all going to Spain.

You're turning empty into a noun, describing the state of your house (when authority figures are not present)!

EDIT @Cirrus: haha, where I live having a hissy fit is called having a radge. 'Radge' often pronounced as though it has two syllables, though: rah-gie.

I'm not entirely sure what's slang around me. There are some terms I always assumed everyone used but then it turned out nobody heard of them, like "mitching" meaning to skip lessons.
Then there's terms I thought was slang like "swog" coming from the Welsh word for prefect, but my dad says they used that word when he was growing up in Yorkshire.

Beast - cool
[N-word] - Buddy or something of that sort. It's tossed around really casually around here for some reason.
Blown - Worn out, stressed
Swag - Probably style or 'street cred.'

Taisy: "Away and bile yer heid" sounds awesome. I'd use it if anyone understood what it meant around here.

I can't really think of a lot that's specific to my area - I hear a lot of general 'chav'-tongue, like, uh, "That's sound" being used to mean anything positive from "Okay, that's fine" to "Wow, that's amazing" and 'well' being used as pretty much any quantifier, even where it doesn't make grammatical sense (For example "It was well good" or "I was well angry" or even "It was well sound") and so on. Pretty sure that's not specific to here though.

One thing I can think of is that when you get into a taxi, the driver says "Where to?" to mean "Where would you like me to take you, kind sir/madam?" or something to that effect. Apparently people from elsewhere find that completely bizarre, but it just sounds normal to us, of course. Actually now I think about it it's not just taxi drivers, it can be used in pretty much any instance where you'd like to say "Where are/is we/you/he/she/it going?"

<Shiva64> Tailsy: wow all that slang
<Tailsy> Shiva64: what about it?
<Shiva64> Tailsy: not one bit of it you posted i knew about :c
<Tailsy> haha :D i could post more all day
<Shiva64> Tailsy: do it

phrases:
ya bas - lit. 'you bastard', although this is often a compliment
wheesht, esp. haud yer wheesht - shut up, be quiet!
dinnae hae a scooby - I have no idea; I don't know
mad rocket - someone who is right crazy
getting the messages - going out to buy essentials (bread, milk, etc.)

words:
clipe - to complain. can also be used as a noun meaning 'complain'
het - to be 'it' during a game of tig/tag
peely-wally - to look pale or ill
scud - to be hit lightly; grazed, esp. by a punch
scunnered - disappointed, upset

shoofty/shifty - to have a quick glance at something
skelp - to spank or otherwise slap
sook - a suck-up
swally - alcoholic drinks
winching - French kissing

One thing I can think of is that when you get into a taxi, the driver says "Where to?" to mean "Where would you like me to take you, kind sir/madam?" or something to that effect. Apparently people from elsewhere find that completely bizarre, but it just sounds normal to us, of course. Actually now I think about it it's not just taxi drivers, it can be used in pretty much any instance where you'd like to say "Where are/is we/you/he/she/it going?"

Wait... That's slang? I thought it was just normal speech...

y'all - you all/all of you
going with - dating
skoal/dip - chewing tobacco
coke - any soda, although also the actual brand in some cases
ain't nothing - isn't anything

Lots more that I'm not remembering.

Beast - cool
[N-word] - Buddy or something of that sort. It's tossed around really casually around here for some reason.
Blown - Worn out, stressed
Swag - Probably style or 'street cred.'

Taisy: "Away and bile yer heid" sounds awesome. I'd use it if anyone understood what it meant around here.
These, though N-word is African-American exclusively around here, usually referring to another.

Beast is the Beastyest slang word ever.

THIS THREAD IS SO GROOL MAN

other than that most of my school consists of shitheads who like nigahiga so "asian" and "ching chong" are thrown around a lot

A few, some of which may not qualify as slang.

Asian- thrown around a real lot, used to refer to people of that ethnicity. Like, "Hey, Asian!" also has a positive effect.
Legit- used a lot at my school for some reason. Meaning something is awesome. Used like "That's legit."

that's all I can remember.

uhhh well there's australian slang or there's slang that I use, I think most people know about most australian slang, like 'barbie' or 'g'day' or whatever. australians also have a habit of adding -o to lots of words, so ambulance becomes ambo, train station becomes traino, afternoon becomes arvo. 'fuck' is used casually to refer to anything ever among some people (like, friends you had in primary school you'd rather not talk to now). then you have insults like 'drongo' and 'galah' that basically amount to 'you're an idiot'. people actually do say mate (mostly guys, but in younger generations 'bro' is more common). Then there's 'darty' (as in 'that's daaaarty') which means good or cool.

I think my favourite australian insult is 'you have a face like a slapped arse'. I dunno, it's sort of hard to think about what slang that's common around here because I personally don't use most of it unless I'm being sarcastic.

EDIT: I rather like how 'asian' is slang for some of you guys; calling someone asian here is legit because there are loads of people from Japan/Indonesia/Vietnam etc. and it's rarely used as an insult unless you're being a complete moron about it.

train station becomes traino,
I never heard of this
but yes most of the times I hear the -o suffix it's usually for people's names I guess?

Uh, well, I do have this LOVELY BOOK called "Strine" or something. I mean, if you pronounce Strine with a heavy enough accent it almost sounds like you're saying "Australian" so
Oh yeah and my mind was blown when I found out "Esky" isn't a legitimate word! (transportable cooling container... thing... cooler? yes) But that was a while ago. Uh
Maybe I'll look up some more later when I feel like digging through the bookshelf for stuff. ...

Back
Top Bottom