• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Snom Mafia

I feel like he might be more likely to display his alignment either way than Mr. Ultracool? Hmm.
that's fair. my resistance to the ultracool lynch is the same as it was in cats, i feel weird falling back on it d1

so while i will be around for EoD, 100% stuffs gonna happenen before i wake up, so ill just throw my vote for mr ultracool in now

partially bc my gut tells me that the inactive lynch is better and that we can get more out of keeping superjolt alive for another day (as opposed to UC)

and partially because unless im forgetting the vote count this helps to even up the wagons, and even is fun :p

See, there's something still bugging me about Trebek's posts. Maybe I'm crazy... I'll go look. But like... in Cats, he was nervous and over-explainy, but this feels different. It's like he has this sort of additional justification thing going on.

(continued from above)

In general terms, how were you planning to approach me this game, before it started?
If I'm understanding the question correctly - I'd already pegged you based on your TVT and Cats (2019) play as someone who was probably going to be one of the strongest players, so I thought it would be useful to try to sort you into town/scum as early as possible. To that end I skimmed through your posts there, which is how I figured out (what I believe to be) your scumtell, and went through your posts here more finely than everyone else's looking for it.

(Fun fact: I also glanced through some older archive games, and while I didn't glean any insights about you from them, I think I might have identified a scumtell for Butterfree. Looking forward to getting the chance to use that.)

Ugh, someone tell me whether this is pushing something that makes Superjolt look like mafia or something that makes Superjolt mafia.
It's only a "looks like", if that. (In my opinion, that is.) It's perfectly possible that he'd just been thinking the same thing already and referred to mewt's explanation to avoid re-explaining it himself. I only mention it because it raised my eyebrow slightly when it happened.

As far as my vote goes, on balance I think I'd like to err on the side of being optimistic about Superjolt, for a similar reason to my opinions on our N0 kill in Cats (2019) - unwillingness to bump off the newer players before they've really had a chance to actually play. So I'm going to go for Ultracool. I don't really subscribe to "policy lynch the inactives" either, but I don't see a better target.

I'd be interested in you going into that at some point, MP, because I feel like he's had a similar amount of ""awkward"" tone but I literally have not gone back to his Cats posting at all.

@kokorico, could you give updated reads on me and Blu?
I would like to see eir updated thoughts on me/Blu.
Steady on! I do need to sleep from time to time :P

Regarding you, I concede I probably jumped to my conclusion a bit too quickly, out of excitability / wanting to demonstrate my read / feeling like 48h was shorter than it is, and on reflection you were probably right to find it odd. Sorry about that. But so far you still haven't actually displayed the "combativeness" I mentioned towards anyone other than me, or done anything else that pings me as scummy, and you've been engaging with the game, trying to figure things out and presenting your thoughts in real time. So I still consider you to be at the top of my town pile.

Blu, I'm wavering back and forth on. His bubbliness certainly isn't pinging me as particularly town-indicative, as it seems to be for almost anyone else, and I have the impression that he pivoted into mechanical talk much sooner in Cats (2019) than he is here. But equally, I can't really pin down anything solid that indicates scumplay. I also spotted a couple of things that, if he's town, might be a part of an attempt to set up a gambit for later - I'll avoid spoiling that. I would still dearly love to know what his reasoning was for asking the question in #121: both mewt and I have now asked him on separate occasions, but unless I missed it I don't think he ever responded.

(I know some other people asked me things overnight too, but I gotta go eat something. I promise to come back to them later.)

This is a post. I need to bookmark it, so that's why I'm making this post. Something for d2 MP7 to look at.

I'd be interested in you going into that at some point, MP, because I feel like he's had a similar amount of ""awkward"" tone but I literally have not gone back to his Cats posting at all.

I certainly would love to a deeper dive into it and confirm or deny my gut.

Okay, I may be confbiasing but I saw what I wanted to see in koko's reads on me and Blu. I think koko is town right now, though I think we shouldn't forget about eir early reads.

so while i will be around for EoD, 100% stuffs gonna happenen before i wake up, so ill just throw my vote for mr ultracool in now

partially bc my gut tells me that the inactive lynch is better and that we can get more out of keeping superjolt alive for another day (as opposed to UC)

and partially because unless im forgetting the vote count this helps to even up the wagons, and even is fun :p

See, there's something still bugging me about Trebek's posts. Maybe I'm crazy... I'll go look. But like... in Cats, he was nervous and over-explainy, but this feels different. It's like he has this sort of additional justification thing going on.
This is sort of how you can catch newbie players in IRL mafia too, but I don't believe in any universal tells.

okay i'm just gonna go through what i got through so far and then maybe try to iso superjolt. i got up to keldeo's #368, pg 19, for reference for future me
holy FUCK that's a lot of quotes. uhhh here we go

I feel like the flavor text indicates some kind of power role that can drag people 😯 I'd assume such a thing would be a wolf power, so maybe for now we can assume kyeugh is innocent? Just the target of mean gossip LOL
i'm gently agreeing with this; i remember someone else saying that it's vaguely possible that the mafia could have galaxy brained into targeting one of their own immediately (which would also give that person an out from voting), but i don't think they would have? so that's one of the reasons i feel good about skylar. another thing is i don't think that mafia would go and point out the possible reasons why that (the popularity targeting thing) doesn't clear them, i feel like they'd just ride with it and be like yeah!! that confirms me as town!!! especially if they chose to start out debuffing one of their own that way. i dont think i have time to go find the post where skylar said that being debuffed doesn't confirm her as town but i feel good about that

the real question is, if town decides to try to yeet someone today, it will be interesting to see how mafia react around the wagons, since they know how it will affect their popularity and we don’t
i think this has been quoted a billion times but this is a Good Poast and i feel good about trebek for it. there is literally nothing else i remember trebek posting so, uh, that's the Only Thing for me in their favor so far, but i feel like that's significant

I'm not as keen as [Keldeo] is on Bluwiikoon though. It's true that he's meming in a similar way to his behaviour in Cats (2019), but back then he sobered up when people actually started talking mafia. In this game we're already making plans but I think he's made, like, one non-joke post so far? And that was proposing an abstention. Idk, just seems a bit odd.
i think i mentioned this earlier (and they did just now) but we're like the only two people in the thread who aren't really reading blu as town for tone? maybe it's bc i wasn't In cats and was just reading along but for me blu is sitting just above neutral, not really town. i feel like i'm kind of sheeping koko bc i feel like i'm repeating a lot of things e says... maybe we just think similarly idk. but i feel okay about koko bc what e's thinking lines up with what i'm thinking.

i feel like a scumchat might let one of their own into the thread to go "hey uh how do you play mafia", especially since it feels like to me that a lot of people in this game are reading blu as town for tone reasons, so i'm not really feeling that not knowing stuff is clearing julia.
Can you expand on this, please? And how do reads on Blu relate to reads on Julia?
what i meant by this is that i don't feel like not knowing things about the game, the way julia came in and asked about it, necessarily clears people: i feel like if someone who didn't know anything about mafia got a mafia role, their scum team might tell them to come into the thread and express their confusion there in case that clears them. that might be kind of tinfoil of me, though, and based on how some others are saying they feel like mafia wouldn't do that / they feel julia's tone was okay (and some are saying maybe not?!), i'm putting that thought aside for later.

i just think julia's entrance was so pure (heavily dependent on whatever she says next), likely because i don't think the "scumteam telling a wolf to go ask the thread how to play the game" narrative happens all that often
i don’t think the scumteam has to factor into it. if julia is scum, she probably just posted that without consulting her teammates.
(i saved the quotes for "maf wouldn't do that" "maybe they would" so i'm putting them here)

reads on blu relate to reads on julia bc those reads both seem like a lot of people are reading them towny for tone, and i don't really agree with the Majority Feeling on blu, so it makes sense to me that i also wouldn't feel the same way on julia. but again i'm putting this thought down for now bc it's 11:29am and eod is Soon

@M Plus 7 - Nice to see you earlier! Do you have any thoughts on the game so far? What do you think your general strategy is going to be?

@kokorico

Circling back to this.

My general strategy will be close to how I usually play as town. Behavioral reads based on body of work/ISOing and/or occasional posts that strike me as notable. Constant re-assessment. Solving the game via POE and towncore.

If you were looking for mechanical input, I apologize to disappoint. I'd be curious in the answer to your own question here.
Uh-huh. The reason I asked was that at the end of Cats (2019) you said you wanted to try powerwolfing next time you rolled mafia. So I was keeping an eye out to see if you would offer an alternative explanation in advance for a high postcount. Which I suppose is what happened, although I guess it could equally well just be your normal towngame, which I haven't seen. It was a bit of an ill-planned query, sorry.

As for me, I'm trying to be a bit more proactive about gathering reads instead of just fucking around waiting for some mech information to show, like I did in D1/D2 of TVT. So I'm noting down everything I spot that seems vaguely alignment-indicative. I don't have much yet, but I'm hoping that after a Day or two I'll there'll be enough to identify patterns of behaviour in a few people with reasonable certainty.

koko uses e/em!
Oh dang it, thank you mew. I apologize if I mess that up for anyone else in the future, I'll try my best to avoid it.
I don't mind a great deal - it's what I'm most used to online, but it wouldn't really irritate me if you wanted to use something else instead. Also IIRC I spent most of the first half of Cats (2019) absent-mindedly using he/him for you, so I figure you've earned a free pass. :P

Thank you so much for explaining.

And that's totally understandable, I actually came out as trans during that game, so your absent-minded gendering was probably correct!

tbh though seeing koko's explanations of eir questioning (the mp7 'powerwolfing' thing springs to mind) makes me feel pretty alright there

if my counting is right the wagons are even?
mewt/seshas 14
mist/seshas 19
mewt/eifie 63
trebek/stealth rock 111
trebek/mewt 216
trebek/uvote 217
mewt/skylar 219
mewt/uvote 223
trebek/seshas 226
trebek/uvote 243
keldeo/jolt 317
ysabel/jolt 362
mp7/trebek 407
mp7/koko 467
mp7/uvote 532
mp7/jolt 570
keldeo/ultracool 574
mewt/jolt 575
trebek/ultracool 584
koko/ultracool 644
ultracool (3): keldeo, trebek, koko
superjolt (3): ysabel, mp7, mewt

Oh, by the way, I was culted on the second to last day in that game I posted.

On questions and other things:
-Keldeo: my read on Trebek may be biased based on something they said that I took as a sort of er confirmation? I could be wrong though. But I'll try to iso him. (I already had the appointment so I will probably be around, just maybe not very actively). As for you, Keldeo, I specifically liked how you questioned Koko's read on you and the overall questions you've asked. Very pro-town imo. Plus the advice against hypocopping.

I admit I did sort of worded the question in a slightly combative way, sorry about that, but it's because I generally don't trust meta too much (people can change their play style) and because for some reason my meta or certain things have made others take pause when I'm town.

My question about why mafias choosing a representative was bad is because I didn't see the benefit for them. Like, sure, they are anti-town, but the popularity thing still affects them. (Corroborated by Seshas) . A hypothetical mafia rep would still be losing popularity. (and after Seshas's new rule they would be losing two points, so.)

My questions to people like Mist or SJ is because I'm trying to get a better read on them and I prefer to ask them things to get a better read and I want to understand their thought process.

And as for throwing shade on inactives/my reads.. I generally look at people's posts' quality rather than quantity, their tone and general disposition to help. Mist s posts just seemed to me like they weren't focused on the game but more on mech things.

Plesse tell me if I missed any other questions/comments. Still in the process of catching up.

@Ysabel

You and I need to interact at some point! I'll see what I can do to make that happen.

I'm particularly intrigued in an elaboration on the underlined, but it doesn't have to happen at EoD for sure.

why do you think an inactive lynch is better tbh? i kind of don't love them because i think they're like ... lazier than at least poking at someone who's contributing (seeing as there is definitely mafia among the posters) and because they yield no information since, even if we're lucky and they are wolves, mafia probably don't really stick their head out to save inactives
also it's statistically 75% impossible that ultracool is not not not mafia since he just rolled it in cats! :wat:

Lmao.

As far as my vote goes, on balance I think I'd like to err on the side of being optimistic about Superjolt, for a similar reason to my opinions on our N0 kill in Cats (2019) - unwillingness to bump off the newer players before they've really had a chance to actually play. So I'm going to go for Ultracool. I don't really subscribe to "policy lynch the inactives" either, but I don't see a better target.
*yeet. I'll get there, I promise.

I should clarify I don't think a Superjolt yeet would be a terrible play in principle, it's just not the way I'm personally leaning.

And that's totally understandable, I actually came out as trans during that game, so your absent-minded gendering was probably correct!
Oh, cool! I did notice you'd added a rainbow flag overlay to your avatar but I figured it was just a Pride month thing. Congratulations!

I'm tempted to like sande's read on Skylar for it being similar to mine heh.

Noting that both sande and koko like each other for mindmelding.

Someone sanity check me on the statement: if Mr. Ultracool or Superjolt is mafia, their partner is probably not active itt right now.

Back
Top Bottom