• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Summer Reading

I have to read any one book of the Series of Unfortunate Events (Which I already did), or any one Diary of A Wimpy Kid books.

How old are you and who is your teacher?!

Because Diary of a Wimpy Kid is... well, not of a very high grade level.

I have to read and annotate The Omnivore's Dilemma. Ugh. I don't quite understand how I'll be able to annotate a non-fiction book, but I suppose I might find out when I actually start reading it...

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is very good.
What is it about, exactly?

Hmm, well, the Life of Pi is pretty good especially if you like animal psychology, human psychology and religion, or even survival stories.
The only reason it stood out to me is because my brother owns it and my step-mom recommended it, so I'll probably check it out.

Oh, and apparently they want me to read and take notes on the Odyssey over the summer. Fuck.

The Odyssey isn't that bad, at least not if you get a good translation. Yeah, the book is massive, but the lines are short and it shouldn't be that hard to get through.

ERIF: It is about a teen with Asperger's who goes on a myriad of interesting adventures while he investigates the death of his neighbor's poodle. It's written from his point of view, which is interesting.

I only have to read one book this summer (To Kill a Mockingbird), but I have to do A LOT of writing to go with it (3 themes from the book, 1.5 pages each; and a full length essay on how I personally connect with a character from the book).

I suck at essays, and this assignment is 10% of my 1st semester grade. This oughta be fun...[/sarcasm]

Hrrng. For AP English 12 I'm having to read Fast Food Nation (which I'm done with, and had to e-mail a study guide for it to the teacher last Friday) and The Jungle (which I'm halfway done with because I thought we had to do that before FFN- I have to finish a data sheet on it next week because I'll be out of town the week it's due, and it involves analyzing the 'writing style', which is something that goes over my head). And before the first day of school I need to find a recent article relevant to the subject of each book and write a summary on it.

Fast Food Nation was pretty interesting (and sometimes grim) and the end of the "an empire of fat" bit made me depressed for a day or two. I felt like I could understand those constantly cynical people who dwell on those global problems instead of enjoying their lives that are generally unaffected. What I've read of the Jungle, on the other hand... It's a bit difficult to wade through (especially the first chapter) and way more deeply depressing than Fast Food Nation was. They'd get a house, and then find out they can get screwed out of it. They get a job, get screwed out of it. Fall in love, get screwed out of it. And apparently the second half of the book is even worse.

@ CL: I'm twelve and I realize that, but I've already read and tested on all Series of Unfortunate Events books, so, no choice.

Jane Eyre isn't bad. Charlotte was the better Brontë sister by far.

Speaking of which, I still haven't touched Wuthering Heights. I forgot everything that happened. Looks like I'll have to re-read it... ugh.

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
As You like It - Shakespeare
Shakespeare’s Sonnets 30 and 55

Luckily my mom has The Complete Works of Shakespeare and she might know where Fahrenheit 451 is. So, yeah, this is going to be fun.

A bunch of Portuguese books no one cares about and for Ap English I have to read East of Eden (Steinbeck) and MacBeth (Shakespeare). Then we also have to choose one book out of these seven:

Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy
I Married a Communist by Phillip Roth
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Room at the Top by John Braine
David Copperfield by Charles Dickes
The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

and then write a 4000 word essay about it. I'm probably going to end up picking The Great Gatsby but since I have two months I figured I'd read all of them. So right now I'm at the start of Wuthering Heights and it's alright. After that I'll do East of Eden and then I'll probably start The Great Gatsby.

The Great Gatsby is wonderful... Quick, entertaining, and not difficult at all to analyze. I really enjoyed it.

(plus there is like a stealthy post-gay-sex scene at the very end of chapter two that nobody except me noticed)

oh god yes The Great Gatsby is seriously good. I also have a year's worth of accumulated notes (mostly typed up) from English class, should you require them. ^_~

(plus there is like a stealthy post-gay-sex scene at the very end of chapter two that nobody except me noticed)
our crazy awesome feminist pro-LGBT american teacher actually spent a long time explaining this scene to us. :o

Welp. *throw Wuthering Heights to the dogs*

I was going to read it anyway but since everyone tells me how awesome it is I'll definitely do it :B and thanks for the offer, GQ! I might get back to you on this when I'm writing my essay (probably a day before I have to hand it in).

Mine happens to be In Pursuit of Elegance by Matthew E. May.

...I should probably get to finding it. I just found out about the assignment today. :| I'm reading an excerpt online right now, though, and it seems pretty interesting.

The Gifted Kids' Survival Guide: A Teen Handbook by Judy Galbraith, M.D. and Jim Delisle, Ph.D. and Oedipus Rex.

Tom Lehrer said:
There once lived a man named Oedipus Rex
You may have heard about his odd complex
His name appears in Freud's index
Cause he loved his mother!

Yes, I am going into my Freshman year of High School. Why do you ask?

Back
Top Bottom