• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Super Smash Bros 4

To void confusion:

In the competitive multiplayer, the gameplay is like competitive Brawl -- no items, final destination. However, since this would get boring if you had to play on the same stage over and over and over, instead a Final Destination version of each stage has been created. All of these act exactly the same, save for the aesthetics and the music.

Can we play on the Final Destination stage in VS mode like we could do in Melee? I did not see anything about it in the video for VS mode.:)

So! Ike is in!

I think this further decreases the likelihood of Chrom or MU, which is the best news for me, although I'm also glad to see Ike back, even if I've found it quite surprising.

I do wonder which other returning veteran is going to be losing a spot to this, though.

Also, I can't stop laughing at this screenshot of the relevant news.
He's not fighting for his friends no more. He probably doesn't have friends no more with a glare like that. It's so different from the sarcastically nonchalant expression he used to make to that pose. Watch out, folks, he's ripped and pissed.

Last edited:
I've got mixed feelings on the whole Ike confirmation. I liked him as a character, sure, but in the hands of my siblings he was so infuriating to play against. Yeah, he was slow and had crappy multi-directional recovery abilities (albeit very good in a single direction), but when my mains are all lighter characters (like toon link or pikachu) and my brother had the annoying habit of standing in the middle of the stage and continuously using smash attacks, i lost a fair amount of times before I started wisening up and not attacking him directly without some better means of approach. So, excited for the character, but he also brings back a lot of frustrating memories. -_-

I'm also curious about how well SSB will transition to the 3DS. I'm gonna buy it regardless of how well it plays, mainly to get a teaser of what the console edition will have as far as characters and the like, but i'd hope it would be good.

Man I can't wait for the 5 new characters to use once the games come out. I am so wanting to use Charizard XD.:)

Ike is annoying. I played against my cousin's boyfriend using Ness. Needless to say, my behind was handed to me finely cut on a silver platter.

Erm, Metallica, could you tell me where you got the whole one veteran loses their spot thing? Since school ended I haven't really followed anything on the internet.

I'm pretty sure it's gonna be Snake. Never really liked him.

I hope the characters will be easier to control. In years past after the N64 version came out they moved to fast to be able to handle them properly. The N64 had the right speed for me to handle all the characters firmly and easily. When Melee came out for GCN They moved way to quick and I could not use Pikachu like I could on the N64.:)

Actually there are 2 new Smash Bros games coming out. One is for 3DS and the other is for Wii U. The 3DS version comes out sometime this summer and the Wii U version comes out this Winter.:)

By the way, if you haven't heard, there's going to be an adapter that lets you use the Gamecube controller on Wii U.

I find it kind of funny how it's most likely mainly SSB that made Nintendo realise that they kind of really need to do that.

You know just what to say to make me feel completely inadequate as a gamer. D:

I know a better place to get the news much faster for this. If anyone wants to know please PM me for the place with the latest detail on this and all Pokemon news. Actually I know 2 places. Anyway. I am not sure how the 3DS version will play since the controls are very limited. I hope they make an adapter to make the 3DS version to it's full functionality because with only the stick the pad and L+R+A+B+X+Y+Start+Select the game will not function the same way as the Wii U version will and will most likely have a less move set on characters as well.:)

I know a better place to get the news much faster for this. If anyone wants to know please PM me for the place with the latest detail on this and all Pokemon news. Actually I know 2 places. Anyway. I am not sure how the 3DS version will play since the controls are very limited. I hope they make an adapter to make the 3DS version to it's full functionality because with only the stick the pad and L+R+A+B+X+Y+Start+Select the game will not function the same way as the Wii U version will and will most likely have a less move set on characters as well.:)

I don't realy know what you're talking about. That's about how many buttons there are on the wiimote+numchuk, plus when you consider the x and y buttons correspond to the 1 and 2 buttons on the wiimote and the fact that the c button on the numchuk really didn't do anything, the wiimote+numchuk has less buttons. And like the wiimote+numchuk, the 3ds has both a D-pad and an analog stick (circle pad), and they're easier to reach with a standard control scheme, to boot. If we're to base controls over how they were in Brawl, the 3ds has more buttons to use.

And if we compare that to the gamepad, the only thing the gamepad really has is an extra analog stick, which I can't see functioning much differently than the normal one.

EDIT: Also, there's only one gamepad, which would mean for local play on the Wii U some people would have to be able to use wiimotes, thus forcing the control scheme to be very similar to what it was in Brawl. And since the 3ds really is a better-built controller than the wiimote, controlling with it would probably be easier.

Last edited:
Yeah, the only things that the 3DS lacks that both native Wii U controllers have is a right stick and a second set of shoulder buttons, neither of which I can see really effecting gameplay. Especially because the Wii U game is also going to be playable on Wiimote+numchuk and the Gamecube controller.

if you want Smash 4 news as soon as it comes up, just pay attention to Miiverse; Sakurai posts new screenshots with descriptions/captions every single day, including new reveals (it's how Ike and Marth were revealed)

and yeah, the 3DS doesn't need much if the wiimote on its own only needs three buttons to work. i can almost guarantee both X and Y will be dedicated to jumping a la the Gamecube controller, taunts will be on the D-pad, and both shoulder buttons will be for blocking

The second stick on the gamepad may or may not get the same use as the C-Stick did back in Brawl. If that returns, though, I can only begin to anticipate the internet rage that will pour at the time of the discovery.

Also, one point to consider here is the grabbing buttons. The GamePad will probably assign that to the second set of shoulder buttons, but one has to wonder how the 3DS would handle it. I'm supposing the likeliest option there would be pressing L and R at the same time, but that could get tough to use. Maybe it'd be a good idea to assign it to the Y button while still leaving the X as a jump button.

grabbing with the shoulder buttons always had to be done by pressing the block button (R or L) at the same time as the normal attack button (A), so it'll likely be the same combination (L/R+A)

So, E3 2014 happens soon! Nintendo has some info, here.

Also, on that page I found out about the smash-fest thing, and apparently there's a participating Best Buy close enough to me to warrant a trip. Anyone else planning on going?

Sounds like the games will be harder to play this time around since I have only one good hand making good moves will be difficult unless they have a decent speed like the N64 had. I may have to wait on the 3DS version because I want to get one of the new Pokemon games now XD.:)

Back
Top Bottom