• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Team Fortress 2 is now FREE-TO-PLAY! (Plus Meet the Medic)

I don't know where they came from. My Library says I just have TF2 but when I log off and view my profile there are 6 other games.

Those are free to play games (like Spiral Knights and the free Champions Online) that everyone gets. You'll need a purchased game to add people IIRC.

IIRC the Library only shows games you've downloaded, not ones that you've purchased (which automatically includes the seven F2P games).

Ah, well that's irrelevant. I can't play TF2. It get to the POWERED BY SOURCE screen then just goes away and nothing ever happens...

Well huh. I didn't think that I could get TF2 to run on my rickety old laptop but apparently my specs are decent enough. Downloading as we speak.

Also, I joined the tcod group. I'm the_crimean. I'm also generally terrible at FPSes, but I've got all summer to get better at it. Have to say though, I was rather alarmed when my friend told me that the reason they made the game free was because they were making more than enough money off hat sales alone. I hope this is an exaggeration.

Last edited:
Well huh. I didn't think that I could get TF2 to run on my rickety old laptop but apparently my specs are decent enough. Downloading as we speak.

Also, I joined the tcod group. I'm the_crimean. I'm also generally terrible at FPSes, but I've got all summer to get better at it. Have to say though, I was rather alarmed when my friend told me that the reason they made the game free was because they were making more than enough money off hat sales alone. I hope this is an exaggeration.
No it isn't.

Play a game and see how many upgraded weapons and hats there are. There is a 70% chance they were bought.

Just started downloading this game. Had to make a new Steam account because I forgot my password for the other three and none of them would accept my answer to the secret question, even though it's the one I used for all of them when signing up. -_-.

EDIT: Also, joined the group. I'm javrsox there.

. Have to say though, I was rather alarmed when my friend told me that the reason they made the game free was because they were making more than enough money off hat sales alone. I hope this is an exaggeration.

It's perfectly true and perfectly reasonable. I bought the GAME for 20 euro, which is about 30 bucks. I have spent about 100 euro on store items, which come about as 120 or so dollars.

What more, currently you can buy class starter packs for 0.99 euro each, and they include 2-3 items and a hat. Did I mention you get a premium account by doing that?

I may join soon, when I can find a computer suitable for running the game. I've always been interested in TF2, and now that it's free, this is a great oppurtunity for me to play it.

Oh, uh. I joined the group (as AllHailChoklitCow, an obscure reference that no one will understand) but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Hey, we should make our own clan!

I've started playing for the first time since sometime last year. I still suck just as much as ever, though I think I'm getting a bit better.

I've owned this game since March and I still really suck at it.

:p

[also I joined the group as temporalTrickster; but note that I'm not allowed to friend anyone I don't know irl.]

of all the times for my laptop to get a virus ffs (i blame archimedes)

whatever, it's FOREVER so i'll get it later.

Which class would you recommend once I start playing? I'm looking at the official Wiki and I'm trying to decide between the Scout, Soldier, and Sniper. Possibly the Heavy, but I'm not sure about that.

Well, if you're really good at aiming, definitely Sniper. If you're into tapping space whilst holding down M1 and circling around someone, Scout. Soldier is a good all-around class and has the added bonus of not forcing you to actually aim properly (splash damage ftw). Heavy is another versatile class, but even slower than Soldier, which is a turn-off for some people.

I'd recommend actually trying them all out in-game though.

Well, if you're really good at aiming, definitely Sniper. If you're into tapping space whilst holding down M1 and circling around someone, Scout. Soldier is a good all-around class and has the added bonus of not forcing you to actually aim properly (splash damage ftw). Heavy is another versatile class, but even slower than Soldier, which is a turn-off for some people.

I'd recommend actually trying them all out in-game though.

oh god no please don't main sniper. when a team gets 3+ snipers nothing usually gets done and it's really lame. heavy is a really good starting class, as is soldier once you figure out rocket jumping. scout is fun too.

oh god no please don't main sniper. when a team gets 3+ snipers nothing usually gets done and it's really lame.

Butbutbut they're really good for weakening stronger classes and stopping scouts! And I'm pretty sure you're thinking of pubs anyway, which 9 times out of 10 can't aim at all.

It depends on how you play.

I myself started with the Heavy, then the Scout as soon as I found the Force-a-Nature.

Personally, the Heavy is slow. Very slow. Which means when charging, hold down the right mouse button to spin, which makes you even slower. Once you see something, click on it and it will die. Stick with a medic and you will be unstoppable. Protect him and wait for him to Ubercharge you and you both will be godlike. The slowness makes the Heavy much better at what he does. He's basically a siege wall. Slowly walk towards the other team while raining death while your team attacks one on one. Natascha may be your weapon of choice here: she may have -10% damage, but a -100% movespeed for the target means the enemy team is easy pickings for the rest of your team. Watch out for Pyros, Snipers, Spies and Scouts.

The Scout is a wonderful little man to play. He's the fastest in-game, much faster with the energy drink, and I think his bat is one of the strongest melee weapons. But with 125 health, you have to be quick to get out. Personally, the FaN is awesome at this too. With the massive kickback that essentially is a triple jump, you can fly your way out of trouble. And the triple jump means you will fly. Use this to your advantage; shoot down at your enemy and use the reload time to avoid his shots. Best stay away from Snipers, Pyros, Soldiers and Demomen.

The Sniper is what he says he is. Excellent if you're the type to camp at one place for the whole game; the rifle charges the longer you take aim. A quickscope shot deals about 25% the damage of a fully charged one. Your SMG is utterly useless straight up, but it's damn fast. It's your defense gun once your enemy's gotten close to slap you upside the head. Your kukri is a nice defensive knife, and it can OHKO a Spy. Speaking of which, the Razorback will save you from any Spy-related deaths; it shocks him as he backstabs. Once a life, though. But yeah, he's immobilized for a few seconds, allowing you to scope his eye out and kill the worm.

The Soldier, despite what everyone says, is not the easiest class. Your main weapon, the Rocket Launcher, is slow. That means you have to predict your enemy to get decent kills. Or bait them; fire at one side, let them jump somewhere, fire at that then fire either side of it. If the rocket doesn't kill the guy straight, the splash will finish him. Also, the rocketjump. Fire at the ground, and press the jump button as soon as you fire. You will fly like the Scout. And take damage, but that's why we sacrificed thousands of men for the Gunboats. These replace your shotgun, so be careful. This, coupled with timing and luck, will make you a threat to Scouts. Avoid Demomen, Heavies, and Pyros.

Eh...I tried playing a tutorial for that one where you push the cart. Didn't really like it and if all the modes are similar...yeah, not a good game for me. Might try again later though, since I raegquit and uninstlled it and have to wait for it to reinstall.

Last edited:
Eh...I tried playing a tutorial for that one where you push the cart. Didn't really like it and if all the modes are similar...yeah, not a good game for me. Might try again later though, since I raegquit and uninstlled it and have to wait for it to reinstall.
It's a team game. Of course it's gonna be crap in the tutorials, you're playing with bots that don't try to maim your ass the moment they see you. It's in the name: Team Fortress 2.

Play in a random server and see how you get on.

^ I was more complaining about the lag/camera. Camera would zoom in really close to the point I couldn't see where I was going, that and I got lag, couldn't figure out the controls until I paused the game and found out I could change them. But it's mostly the camera and lag that kills it for me.

er, it's first person, there shouldn't be a camera.

I don't see how that means there can't be camera angles. And how else would you describe it when you zoom in on a place suddenly and can't see where you're going?

must be a tutorial-only thing then because i haven't a clue what you're talking about ??

Back
Top Bottom