• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Team Planning (Need Help)

Eloi

In December, I am going to start my plans concocted this month for a competitive team. Here's the problem: no idea how to do it. Here is my vague plan:

->Power-level 2 Pokemon in Emerald.
->Power-level 2 Pokemon in Diamond.
->Power level 2 Pokemon in HeartGold.

So, which Pokemon do I raise that'll work in competitive play?

My current plans (with where I plan to catch them in parenthesis):
Emerald- Swampert (starter Pokemon, Mudkip) Roserade (Route 119, Rosealia)
Diamond-Infernape (starter Pokemon, Chimchar), Lucario (Iron Island Egg)
HeartGold- Gyarados (Magikarp from common water), Gengar (Belltower Gastly)

Any ideas for moveset/held item? Whether or not this team is good?

And how do I EV train? And how do I set up Nintendo Wi-Fi?

Thanks!

What is this?

If you want pokemon for competitive battling, you need to breed for IVs and possibly egg moves. Not catch them and then use them for in-game battling.

As for EV training, browsing the main CoD wouldn't hurt.

What is this?

If you want pokemon for competitive battling, you need to breed for IVs and possibly egg moves. Not catch them and then use them for in-game battling.

Oh...
Um, now I feel stupid, but uh.

What are IVs? I am vaguely aware what egg moves are, but how do they work?

As for EV training, browsing the main CoD wouldn't hurt.
It is still very confusing.

Oh...
Um, now I feel stupid, but uh.

What are IVs? I am vaguely aware what egg moves are, but how do they work?

Don't even think about competitive battling until you know about IVs! It's basically death out there if you don't have good IVs and Natures. I would suggest that you get yourself acquainted with Smogon and all the jargon that comes with it. It'll make your life a lot easier.

What part of EVs are you confused about?

Smogon + try this if staring at all those numbers while attempting to learn EV training confuses you. Granted I haven't yet had anyone tell me whether or not the approach I took with that guide was helpful, so your mileage may vary, but it's worth a shot?

I believe she means "power-level (level-grind) two of her pokémon". It threw me off at first, too.

I believe she means "power-level (level-grind) two of her pokémon". It threw me off at first, too.

Yep.

So...from what I understand:

IVs- Things that boost certain stats and are determined at a Pokemon's birth. You need to have the right IVs to the right stats in order to better fulfill your Pokemon's stats. You get a Ditto with perfect IVs and Nature to breed with the target Pokemon. In order to get the Nature you want, go to FRLG Game Counter and buy with your nuggets acquired - I MEAN your hard earned Poke Dollars, a few dozen Abra. Now transfer the Abra with the correct Nature over to Emerald, and go to Desert Underpass. Then you get a Magikarp (second at your party, you switch them out, I think), equipped with Smoke Ball, so the Ditto would be really easy to capture and you armed with Repeat Balls. Oh, and make your Synchronizer L. 38 and use Repels to encounter Ditto right away. Capture a fuckton of Ditto, bring it to the Battle Frontier IV guy, and then keep all the perfect Dittos. Lather, rinse, repeat for whatever Nature you want according to your Synchronizer. AND then you figure egg moves by parents, tho' I'm not sure how you would if you are using Ditto to get perfect IVs with Natures correct. And they you walk with an egg you breeded with the one of the fuckton of ditto, and then you walk hundreds of steps, and then you can chain-breed that with other Dittos, to get perfect IVs in multiple stats. Oh, and the Dittos hold Everstones, I think. Have them do that to be sure.

EVs- The thing where you carefully distribute ? (is it 63 or 255?) points (you get a point from each Pokemon you battle, and depending on the Pokemon, you get points in a different stat raised), across four stats, and those stats are the Max stats determined by Nature (which you have to make sure the Pokemon you breed/capture has the nature necessary to the role of the team, and there is 25 of them). Then, if you don't want to faint (I dislike the terminology of "kill" because its inaccurate but hey) about 600 pokemon, and if you don't want to faint that many Pokemon, just contract PokeRus, which has 1/21845 of occurring and do some difficult side-quests to get some power items OR buy some medicine with the nuggets I got from FRLG's Nugget Bridge I MEAN with my hard and honestly earned Poke Dollars. But that only goes up to 100, which means you need 152/155 more. So you get the rest by using power items, because using PokeRus is very impractical, and you beat a lot of Pokemon whilst carefully unequipping and equipping items.

So, the very simple steps to making your Pokemon EV and IV stat trained:
1) Clear Emerald's Story Mode.
2) Clear Diamond's Story Mode.
3) Buy FireRed to get Nuggets and Abra. -$10 to $20.
4) Fight the guy at Nugget Bridge dozens upon dozens of times. +$$$$$$
5) Catch a fuckton of Abra, and make sure you have one for the Nature you want.
6) Transfer over the Abra to Emerald, and pray you still have a linking cable/wireless adaptor somewhere.
7)Get Magikarp.
8)Get Smoke Ball.
9)Get Repeat Ball
10)Go to Desert Underpass
11)Level up Synchronized Pokemon to Level 38. Do this 6 times.
12)Get a lot of Max Repels.
13)Catch ~200 Ditto per 6 Synchronized Nature Abra.
14)Take it to the IV guy.
15)Weed out the weak Ditto.
16)Find a lot of Everstones.
17)Breed Ditto with target Pokemon.
18)Walk a lot of steps.
19)Breed offspring with different-perfect-IV Ditto.
20)Repeat 19 until you get all perfect-IVs.
21)Clone all of your IV-perfect Pokemon, using Coliseum, which has a pretty reliable cloning method. This way if a IV-perfect Pokemon gets corrupted, it can be replaced.
22)Transfer your Pokemon to Fire Red and pump them full of 'roids for each stat.
23)Now that you have you weeded out the weak IVs with your Breeding Project making sure only the best and strongest live armed with an army of disposable super-clones, and pumped with Poke Roids...no unfortunate implications in that...you transfer over your Pokemon to the game you want to EV-train with, which will be Pearl.
24)Get some Power Items for the stats you want to increase.
25)Equip and unequip your Power Items as you carefully train your Pokemon with EVs, recording every single encounter, carefully adding math, and making sure not to go over. Because "Careful math" is what you think of when you hear "fun game".
26)You go to a lady, and if you get a ribbon, you did it right, if not, better hope you know what you did wrong or you will be going back to either step 23 if your Pokemon are Gen III or step 1 if your Pokemon are Gen IV.
27)If you do know whats wrong, use some random berries to fix it.
28)Repeat 1-27 six times, and more if you want roster changes.
29)Figure out Nintendo Wi-Fi.
30)Go into battle on the GTS.
31)Send out you IV-stated, EV-trained, Infernape.
32)Your opponent sends out a shiny Pikachu.
33)You use Fire Blast and it looks like it'll faint.
34)It held on with FOCUS SASH!
35)PIKACHU used ENDEAVOR!
36)Watch your Infernape go to 1 HP.
37)PIKACHU used QUICK ATTACK!
38)Watch your Infernape faint.
39)Think there is a problem with your team's strategy.
40)Go on Serebii.
41)Have your team rated.
42)Told your team has an embarrassing x4 weakness to water or something like that.
43)Replace your entire roster, repeating all of the steps you already took.
44)Bellow "FUCK YOU GAME FREAK!" to the skies.

....did I understand all that right? And then, you do all of these steps with Pokemon you don't even like according to an ever shifting meta-game. ...Is any of this worth it? I forgot what was fun about all of this.

Last edited:
Or you could, you know, trade with people who have good/perfect IV bred pokemon. Supposing you have pokemon or items that they want. Just sayin', it's a bit faster. Or you could even use one of the online battle simulators like Shoddy, like res suggested. You don't HAVE to go through all of that just to battle competitively, the point is to have fun after all.

You don't have to jump into all of that at first. Start slower, learn how to train using pokémon that you do like, don't bother with perfect natures or perfect IVs, etc.. Get used to it; decide whether or not the strategy itself is even something you're interested in. Then, if it is, you can start looking into more advanced details and working your way up. That kind of attitude is exactly why my guide just says "grab a staravia, go fight Trainers A, B and C X number of times, profit, don't bother learning anything else unless you understand that bit first".

Competitive play is not something I'd really recommend people jump into all at once, because every single time new competitive players look at all the steps involved, claim that it's too much work and then throw up their hands (and usually end up railing at the more experienced competitve players themselves for "taking the fun out of Pokémon, etc.") Break it down into chunks, pay attention to the basics No one's asking you to learn by attempting to take on Smogon's top players or something right out of the gate. And once you've gotten the foundations down, additional training/breeding/etc. really doesn't even take as long as people seem to think it does.

Also, since you have HeartGold, you might want to try messing around with the Battle Factory and then the other facilities once you've trained some stuff on your own. The Frontier facilities play like a slightly watered-down competitive metagame; it's not Smogon caliber, but they're trained enough that using EV-trained pokémon of your own still provides some benefit and it will let you get your feet wet without worrying about BUT I NEED SCIZOR FOR /EVERYTHING/ or whatever.

Or you could, you know, trade with people who have good/perfect IV bred pokemon. Supposing you have pokemon or items that they want.
I suppose I could use Tweaking + Thousands of Soft-Resets to get some shiny legendaries as trade-fodder, but I think its feels more honest to do it yourself. But how do you request good/perfect IV bred Pokemon?

Just sayin', it's a bit faster. Or you could even use one of the online battle simulators like Shoddy, like res suggested.
Meh, I like the feel of my Nintendo DS.
You don't HAVE to go through all of that just to battle competitively, the point is to have fun after all.
But it sounds like I will get my ass handed to me if I don't do all of that.

HOWEVER, I really want to be able to battle with people online so, thus, I will probably will go through it. But, how exactly do I build a team? I mean, how do I know which Pokemon to put on my team?

You need a team with synergy. You need an overall style of play: offensive, stall, or balanced. And then your team needs to check each others' weaknesses while trying to cover as many threats as possible. As suggested before, make friends with http://smogon.com/

If you'd like a demonstration, you're always welcome to battle me :D

I suppose I could use Tweaking + Thousands of Soft-Resets to get some shiny legendaries as trade-fodder, but I think its feels more honest to do it yourself. But how do you request good/perfect IV bred Pokemon?
People offer them, or you make a thread requesting them, I believe. And people don't just want Shinies, although that certainly helps, many people need TM's, items, pokemon of certain natures, or just that pokemon to fill a spot in their pokedex. Event pokemon are also always a great thing. Some people, occasionally, give away pokemon for free, though it's relatively rare.

Check out Dachét GTS

You need a team with synergy. You need an overall style of play: offensive, stall, or balanced. And then your team needs to check each others' weaknesses while trying to cover as many threats as possible. As suggested before, make friends with http://smogon.com/

I have, is it bad to use Pokemon from the lower tiers? I know Uber is illegal, and NFE is not reccomended, but the rest is based on usage and not power. Is there a list that is based on power?

If you'd like a demonstration, you're always welcome to battle me :D

I'll need to figure out Nintendo Wi-Fi first, but thank you, I will get to you on that if I do figure the Wi-Fi thing out. ^.^;

If I may make a point here? Your Emerald one says you're planning to have a Roserade, which didn't exist in the third generation.
I don't know much about competitive battling but I do know that.

I have, is it bad to use Pokemon from the lower tiers? I know Uber is illegal, and NFE is not reccomended, but the rest is based on usage and not power. Is there a list that is based on power?

that's what BL and uber are. but otherwise, no. and this is perfectly fine, because power is all good and well but doesn't do a thing when you're 4x weak to stealth rock and die on a second entry.

If I may make a point here? Your Emerald one says you're planning to have a Roserade, which didn't exist in the third generation.
I don't know much about competitive battling but I do know that.

You can very easily raise the Roselia in Emerald, import it, then evolve it?

I use lower-tier Pokémon a lot, although they can be more difficult to play with in standard fare battles. On the other hand, teams are often designed specifically to counter OU Pokémon and may not be prepared to handle (or don't know how to handle) certain lower-tier Pokémon. There is almost never a good use for NFE Pokémon in standard.

And no, there is no *real* tier list based on power. That would be incredibly difficult to test, maintain, and implement. Usage-based tiers are more effective because they are flexible and show exactly what people are actually using.

You can't get Roselia in Emerald version, sadly...I have Emerald, and I consider that one of the worse things about the game, I WANT a Roselia in it so bad. It'd make my team perfect. Oh well..

Back
Top Bottom