• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Challenge Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
MUST... FILL... BATTLE SLOT...
(For Karkitty)

2vs2 single
Style: Set
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 51%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, anything that will wreak total destruction
Arena: The Great Library

The Great Library is, as the name suggests, a large library. Very large, in fact. Roughly three Wailord long by three Wailord wide, and the roof appears to be infinitely high. The walls are lined with bookshelves, and in the very center there is a very large, decapitated frog statue, though it doesn't do much. There are also three treasure chests lying around, but they contain nothing of interest - a scarf, a hat and sunglasses. These items do nothing bar make the Pokémon's FASHION, MANGRIT or COOLNESS (respectively) go up. This has no effect. It does not take a full action to open these chests, so a Pokémon could be ordered to "open the chest and then use Water Pulse", for instance.

Now, these books are something special. A Pokémon can spend an action reading one in order to add three moves, randomly selected, to its movepool. This can occur up to twice, at which point the Pokémon has too much new knowledge. They are also very old, rare and valuable, so nothing can be used that will destroy the bookshelves. This is basically limited to burning or soaking them, since they are hardbacks and therefore resistant to force. Also for the love of Jebus please don't read the one with erotic fanservice about the queen

Other: Also, for the duration of the battle, Karkat Vantas looks like this, and Squornshellous Beta looks like this. Probably not going to affect anything, but eh.

MUST... FILL... BATTLE SLOT...
(For Karkitty)

2vs2 single
Damage Cap: 51%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, anything that will wreak total destruction
Arena: The Great Library

The Great Library is, as the name suggests, a large library. Very large, in fact. Roughly three Wailord long by three Wailord wide, and the roof appears to be infinitely high. The walls are lined with bookshelves, and in the very center there is a very large, decapitated frog statue, though it doesn't do much. There are also three treasure chests lying around, but they contain nothing of interest - a scarf, a hat and sunglasses. These items do nothing bar make the Pokémon's FASHION, MANGRIT or COOLNESS (respectively) go up. This has no effect. It does not take a full action to open these chests, so a Pokémon could be ordered to "open the chest and then use Water Pulse", for instance.

Now, these books are something special. A Pokémon can spend an action reading one in order to add three moves, randomly selected, to its movepool. This can occur up to twice, at which point the Pokémon has too much new knowledge. They are also very old, rare and valuable, so nothing can be used that will destroy the bookshelves. This is basically limited to burning or soaking them, since they are hardbacks and therefore resistant to force. Also for the love of Jebus please don't read the one with erotic fanservice about the queen

Other: Also, for the duration of the battle, Karkat Vantas looks like this, and Squornshellous Beta looks like this. Probably not going to affect anything, but eh.

:)

3 vs. 3 single
Set
1 week DQ, warnings at 4 and 6 days.
DC:25%/turn, 33%/round
Banned: OHKO
Restricted: Direct and indirect healing: twice total for each trainer after which they may be used half as efficiently, rounded down, or in the case of indirect healing, retain their damaging properties fully but heals the user half as efficiently.

Arena: Here's the map.
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6973/topomap.png

Click for full resolution.
Sorry for the messiness, next time I promise I'll use the computer all of the way to draw, not just to fill in where my scanner wouldn't work. As for the name, I'm not very creative today. Let's just call it, Rapids Valley.
A Pokémon can move a distance in metres equal to ten times the square root of one half of its speed (10*sqrt(speed/2)) during any one turn if on level grassland or dirt, without penalty. The following compound:
  • Forest:*0.8
  • Overgrown grass:*0.8
  • Shrubbery:*0.6, takes 1% energy for every 5 metres travelled. (interpolated and rounded)
  • Rocky:*0.4, takes 1% energy for every 4 metres travelled. (interpolated and rounded)
  • Marsh:*0.7
  • Poisonous plants: *0.8
  • Hills: (Distances are not calculated as the crow flies, unless dealing with flying types.)
    • Up:
      • -At 25% slope, the Pokémon can move at *0.9
      • -At 40% slope, the Pokémon can move at *0.75
      • -At 75% slope, the Pokémon can move at *0.6
      • -At 100% slope, the Pokémon can move at *0.5
      • -At 150% slope, the Pokémon can move at *0.3
      • -Anything more than 200% slope, the Pokémon must find another way.
    • Down:*1.1, if the slope is between -125% and -25% slope. Otherwise it's just *1
The western branch of the main river flows rapidly. It has a 6-foot canyon wall on the western shore. Non-water or flying types shouldn't even try to cross there, lest they stand the risk of being swept out of the arena, and even if they're lucky enough not to, they will get swept downstream and suffer 2d6 in health damage.
Pokémon jumping off cliffs of greater than ten feet (three or more contour lines merged together, ask me if this is unclear) will sustain for each 5 feet jumped excluding the first five: (These are not interpolated. They're stepped)
  • 5% damage if jumping into a marsh
  • 8% damage if jumping into overgrown grass
  • 10% damage if jumping into water (unless it's a water-type)

All of the preceeding don't apply to flying Pokémon. They can move directly from point a to point b. Use your judgement or ask the ref.

The accepter of the challenge gets to pick which set of three points their Pokémon can start on: the upper three or the lower three. Since this is a 1 on 1, their Pokémon starts at the "X" at elevation 4726, near the centre of the map, if they pick the upper three, or on the 4706, also near the centre of the map, if they pick the lower three.

The trainers are standing just outside of the arena limits. The Pokémon can hear their trainers just fine.

The area behind the compass is part of the arena.

Water Pokémon can draw water from sources up to 10 metres away, and can shoot accurately and with full power up to 0.1 times the attack's base power (in metres), both without further penalty in regards to energy.

A Pokémon gets lightly poisoned by going through places with poisonous plants the first time, moderately poisoned the second, etc. Poison-types are exempt.

Seasonal marshes, seasonal rivers, and seasonal lakes are their respective counterparts when it is raining (Rain dance, etc.)
-Except for the seasonal marsh below the seasonal river north of spot elevation 4720. That's a marsh during the round it stops raining.

The small lake on the western piece of land, between elevations 4725 and 4730 does not hold enough water for a surf attack or greater (use your judgement, or ask the referee).

I expect most of the battling to take place on that plateau between elevations 4715 and 4720.

The scale 1:400 as written on the map is wrong. It should be 1:200 on the screen. The drawing of the scale in the top right however is still valid, and one grid is still two metres.

Pokémon have limited visibility in coniferous forests all year round and in deciduous forests in spring and summer. To make matters simpler, let's say it's being held in July.

Other than that, use your creativity and common sense. Refs, fel free to interpret this however you'd like to.

I know this is really detailed and hard to remember so if you need any clarification at all, ask me.

Oh, and on a side note, this will be my first battle.

Last edited:
All of my current battles are probably dead, or they ended without my notice. So, here we go.

Double battle with me and Pathos on one side. The other side could consist of one person with two pokémon or two people with one each, whichever is preferred.

2 vs 2 doubles
Damage cap: 45%
Banned: OHKOs, direct healing, attract, weather

Arena: Hearthome's Foreign Building

Though no longer in the early stages of construction (if there was such a thing - the building seemed to spring up overnight), Hearthome's Foreign Building, a place of peace and serenity, is still incomplete. This, of course, means that it is still perfectly fine to tear it up with blades and flame, and that is exactly what the irreverent visitors from Asber intend to do.

The entire building seems to be made of a single massive pale stone, carved out with beautiful and intricate designs on the walls, inside and out. Looking closely, one can see thin embossed vines creeping up the walls, and the entire design is meant to play with one's eyes and perspective. A lone chandelier, surprisingly difficult to remove from its perch on the ceiling, lights up the building far more effectively than the sunlight streaming through the windows; looking up, it appears fairly standard, if a bit of a fire hazard, but given the building's height, one would realise the chandelier must be massive. The candles are truly large torches, and between them is enough space for several braviary to perch without issue.

Cartoonish stone druddigon are carved into the walls, near the ceiling, and peer down as if watching the battle. Like the walls of the building, however, they apparently cannot be damaged.

The stained glass windows portray various scenes, and a large painting at the front of the church, the subject of a young lady's stare, depicts light descending from the heavens. These, too, cannot be damaged.

This does not mean the church is entirely immune to the effects of pokémon attacks, however. There are two stone statues of pokémon in the corners, not fully embedded in the ground, and the stone pews aren't nailed down, either. The floor appears to be standard dirt, not at all holy, and destroying it probably doesn't matter, given that there is talk of actually putting down some sort of flooring in the near future. However, there is little else in the way of decoration or furniture.

Several people, unflappably serene, stand or sit around the building, apparently unfazed by the battle. If talked to, they will freely talk about the grace of life, of supernatural abilities, of balancing spirit and nature, but will otherwise remain respectfully, and creepily, silent.

Additional rules: No fully-evolved pokémon. As stated before, it's a double battle where Pathos and I are allies; our opponent(s) can decide whether or not to fight alone. Sending out will be done by PM.

If our opponent is a single person, for the purposes of attack order Pathos and I will be treated as the same person (AAB/BAA); if there are two opponents, attack order will be ABAB/BABA.

Last edited:
All of my current battles are probably dead, or they ended without my notice. So, here we go.

Double battle with me and Pathos on one side. The other side could consist of one person with two pokémon or two people with one each, whichever is preferred.

2 vs 2 doubles

Though no longer in the early stages of construction (if there was such a thing - the building seemed to spring up overnight), Hearthome's Foreign Building, a place of peace and serenity, is still incomplete. This, of course, means that it is still perfectly fine to tear it up with blades and flame, and that is exactly what the irreverent visitors from Asber intend to do.

The entire building seems to be made of a single massive pale stone, carved out with beautiful and intricate designs on the walls, inside and out. Looking closely, one can see thin embossed vines creeping up the walls, and the entire design is meant to play with one's eyes and perspective. A lone chandelier, surprisingly difficult to remove from its perch on the ceiling, lights up the building far more effectively than the sunlight streaming through the windows; looking up, it appears fairly standard, if a bit of a fire hazard, but given the building's height, one would realise the chandelier must be massive. The candles are truly large torches, and between them is enough space for several braviary to perch without issue.

Cartoonish stone druddigon are carved into the walls, near the ceiling, and peer down as if watching the battle. Like the walls of the building, however, they apparently cannot be damaged.

The stained glass windows portray various scenes, and a large painting at the front of the church, the subject of a young lady's stare, depicts light descending from the heavens. These, too, cannot be damaged.

This does not mean the church is entirely immune to the effects of pokémon attacks, however. There are two stone statues of pokémon in the corners, not fully embedded in the ground, and the stone pews aren't nailed down, either. The floor appears to be standard dirt, not at all holy, and destroying it probably doesn't matter, given that there is talk of actually putting down some sort of flooring in the near future. However, there is little else in the way of decoration or furniture.

Several people, unflappably serene, stand or sit around the building, apparently unfazed by the battle. If talked to, they will freely talk about the grace of life, of supernatural abilities, of balancing spirit and nature, but will otherwise remain respectfully, and creepily, silent.

Additional rules: No fully-evolved pokémon. As stated before, it's a double battle where Pathos and I are allies; our opponent(s) can decide whether or not to fight alone. Sending out will be done by PM.

If our opponent is a single person, for the purposes of attack order Pathos and I will be treated as the same person (AAB/BAA); if there are two opponents, attack order will be ABAB/BABA.

I'll take this. I can do it alone if need be

Great Aurel Sects said:

2 vs 2 doubles

I'll take this. I can do it alone if need be

No need. I'll take it as well.

2v2 Single battle
Set
1 week DQ
40% Damage Cap
OHKOs and Direct Healing moves are banned (3 chills/Pokemon)

Arena: Hockey Rink

Your NHL-standard hockey rink (if you don't know what that looks like, here) with out nets. Pokemon are not permitted to leave the rink and go into the stands, though they may stand on the plexiglass surrounding the rink i they so wish (if they fall off on the seating side, they're teleported to the center of the rink).

As the Pokemon are sliding around the ice, moves that require physical contact will have their accuracy reduced by 10%. Any other moves that require the user to produce a large beam, a plentiful amount of flames, etc. will cause the user to be propelled backwards.

Additional Info: None

Uh, looking around, i don't think anyone took this??

If anyone has, I apologize! But if not, first battle time aw yeah

3v3 Single Battle
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 40%
OHKO's, any moves causing mass destruction, water moves over 60 Power (To keep malfunctions from occurring), and healing moves are banned (3 Chills/Pokemon)
Arena: Pinball Field

Your classic Pinball game you'd find in an old arcade. Pokemon cannot break through the plastic ceiling, and trainers stand outside of the machine ordering their commands, assuming the Pokemon are able to hear them clearly.

At the start of each round, a pinball is launched and has a 10% chance of hitting either Pokemon, though if it does not, the pinball travels through the "flippers," not having any other effect. If a Pokemon is hit, the strike deals 5% Damage. Additionally, each turn there is a 3% chance that a Pokemon will slip through the "flippers" and will have to be launched from the spring. This does not take up a turn, and the said Pokemon will still be able to attack that turn.

Pokemon are able to use the parts of the machine to their advantage (i.e. bouncing off a bumper) to increase the power of any physical attack by 2-3%, the choice belonging to the referee. The referee may also decide whether the action would truly power up an attack.

There is a 3% chance of a Pokemon getting a bonus, enhancing a random stat by 1. The maximum amount of bonuses that can be earned by one Pokemon is 2.

Additionally, any time a Pokemon defeats another, a bonus is awarded to them, having the same effect as said above. Max. amount of bonuses is the same.

Other: Pokemon cannot be returned, as the plastic has been somehow charmed by my wonderful Gardevoir to repel any return beam from a Poke Ball. This means that Teleporting outside of the machine will fail as well.

The referee watches the battle on the bonus board.

1v1 Single
Damage Cap: 50%
DQ: 4 days
Banned Moves: Chill and Rest
Arena: Grub Battlefield

A large concrete circle that rests on the backs of thousands of decomposing bugs. Cheering swarms of Venipede and Weedle watch from the stands, cheering for the jousting opponents.

Other: The only Pokemon that may be used are bug-types.

Escavalier and Accelgor get a +1 in Attack to begin the battle.

Accepting as soon as i get my Surskit.

edit: well maybe you wanted to face the guy with whom you traded Shelmet/Karrablast if it is the case i don't mind, just say.

edit: I noticed the challenge was between you and the said guy, so nevermind that.

Last edited:
Let's hope this challenge actually finishes this time. Open to anyone.

1v1 single
Style: set
Banned moves: None
Special: Only Pokémon at their lowest stage of evolution (including single-stage Pokémon)
Arena: Viridian Forest
Description: A small clearing in the leafy forest. There is no ready source of water nearby, and most of the ground is rotten leaf mulch. Caterpie, Weedle, and their evolutions roam the area, but won't come to investigate unless there's a strange bug in arena. The forest's Pikachu, on the other hand, are more than a little curious, and will occasionally run across the clearing. (Ref's discretion whether the wild Pokemon do anything besides look pretty.)

Let's hope this challenge actually finishes this time. Open to anyone.

1v1 single
Style: set
Banned moves: None
Special: Only Pokémon at their lowest stage of evolution (including single-stage Pokémon)
Arena: Viridian Forest
Description: A small clearing in the leafy forest. There is no ready source of water nearby, and most of the ground is rotten leaf mulch. Caterpie, Weedle, and their evolutions roam the area, but won't come to investigate unless there's a strange bug in arena. The forest's Pikachu, on the other hand, are more than a little curious, and will occasionally run across the clearing. (Ref's discretion whether the wild Pokemon do anything besides look pretty.)

If I still have an open battle slot, which I think I actually do, I'll take this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom