• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The CoD Monotype Challenge

Evolve your Nidorino, preferably before or at level 22. Fury Attack sucks, and Horn Drill is terribly inaccurate. I'd say to evolve your Nidorina unless you really want Crunch.

Still a FireRed water monotype~

Got through Lt. Surge with minimal damage; no KOs on my end and total annihlation on the side of the gym, so I'll say that went well, since he was the gym I was most concerned about.
Rock Cave... geeze. I didn't have Flash so I navigated in the relative dark and was in there for a good 3 hours. Trained a lot, but still. Satan, it got really old really fast.
Yadda, yadda... went to Celadon and got my Eevee (Maya, after a more-minor character in Black Cat), promptly turned Vaporeon.
Anyhoo. Cleared the Pokemon Tower and so-forth... really nice training, since all 3 of my battle pokemon knew bite at the time (it's one of my favorite moves and they all learn it naturally, so...).

Celadon's gym... well, it went. Brute force prevails where typing fails, as much as I don't like to go by it. Verus Erika saw all 3 of my battlers, not from nessecity (though Saya had gotten low HP and paralyzed...) but for the heck of it. Now, if only I had waited a few levels and taught Maya Aurora Beam, my problems would be solved, but...

Also just recently caught my Krabby. Yay for Near.

Current Team:
Blastoise
Nagisa
Male
Timid Nature
Level 41
-Bite
-Tackle
-Dig (It will hold until I can teach him earthquake...)
-Water Gun
Gyarados
Asuka
Female
Careful nature
Level 31
-Bite
-Tackle
-Dragon Rage
-Leer
Vaporeon
Saya
Female
Impish nature
Level 38
-Aurora Beam
-Quick Attack
-Water Pulse
-Sand Attack
Krabby
Near
Male
Serious nature
Level 17
-Bubble
-Leer
-Vicegrip
-Harden
(Gimme a break, I just caught him.)

Plus my HM-slave oddish.

Last edited:
Right, I'm going to start a Ground-type mono on a Leafgreen ROM.

My proposed team:

Sandslash
Ammo
Nidoking
Basilias
Dugtrio
Orycheio
Golem
Rok
Marowak
Oston
Rhydon
Keras

EDIT: Oh dear. Just realsie dtaht I won't be able to get any of these before the first gym. I can get a Nidoran(M) on Route 3, albeit rare, and a Sandshrew on Route 4. and unless I'm mistaken, a Geodude in Mt. Moon, but until then, I'll have to stick with my starter.

Last edited:
Alright, progress update for my Electric Monotype... Geez, I had to go back a page to see where I left off. I guess I tend to make a bulk of progress so it's unclear to me... Anyway. I was going through Lavender tower and was like, 'Oh yeah, I have to get the Silph Scope first, pfft.' So, I went to grab that... Went through the Rocket Game Corner and fought Giovanni with regular ease and cleared the tower with the same amount of ease.

So, after I did that, I decided I wanted to make a b-line to Fuschia so that I could get surf and acquire the rest of my team. Well, I decided to take the South route of Lavender because of all the water trainers, and, once I got moer into town, I avoided most of the trainers so I could come back for training purposes later.

Koga I beat rather easily, actually, with the help of my Electrode. I was worried about Muk, really. Dead Star used charge and then spark, took out a big portion of HP... and, to wittle it down further but not enough for Koga to use a healing item, I did a spark without charge. Now, playing with luck a little bit, since his Muk used minimize, I charged and used spark again, and 'won handily'.

After that, I made my way to the Power Plant. First, I found an Electabuzz, and named him Hullabaloo (an album by Muse). When I came to the end, I encounted Zapdos... the first time, he fainted all my pokemon before I could catch him (after throwinig nearly 30 pokeballs at him). So, I reset, and then tried again. This time, I got him... and, rather than naming him This Time, I named him PirateKing (Fooly Cooly reference, yesss).

So, I left, and then healed, and came back, and found my level 34 Magneton... who I named Advice (A track from the Fooly Cooly soundtrack, yesss).

Most recently, I have wiped the trainers on cycling road, and am now just training in Fuschia and around that area before I go back to beat Erika (lazylazy) and other gyms.

raichu
Misfit Love (Timid) level 40
Thunderbolt
Mega Kick (Ugh, still)
Double Team
Thunderwave

Electrode
Dead Star (Quirky) level 38
Spark
Charge
Self-Destruct
Roll Out

Jolteon
Lazy Eye (Modest) level 40
Shockwave
Pin Missile
Double Kick
Quick Attack

Electabuzz
Hullabaloo (Docile) level 36
Brick Break
Thunderpunch
Light Screen
Psychic

Zapdos
PirateKing (Naughty) level 50
Thunderwave
Steel Wing
Detect
Drill Peck

Magneton
Advice (Docile) level 36
Supersonic
Lock On (*gonna lawl when Zap Cannon comes into the picture*)
Thunderwave
Spark

Last edited:
Current: MISSINGNO.Grovyle Lv.21 - GantShroomish Lv.21 - AnaLombre Lv.21 (HM Slave)Nincada Lv.7

Planned: SceptileLudicoloCacturneTropiusCradilyBreloom

Status: 2 Badges, Currently training Shroomish into a Breloom to beat Wattson. Also I sorta cheated and traded over a Lotad that already knew Surf from my Emerald. Hey shut up you said nothing about trading over Pokémon that know HM moves we don't have yet. D<

Update (Long Post):

Wattson was defeated easily, thanks to lily getting blown up by voltorb, so kip could mud shot the rest of his team to death.

Maxie went down just as easily (i can't even remember what happened in the battle)

Flannery was also very easy (but that's not really a suprise), and norman was a lot better than i expected (after problems with slacking on the last save file Kip went though vigoroth, spinda and linoon and Maria managed to beat slacking)

I caught a caravanha, which was almost impossible to train until it evolved and got stronger and faster. I also have a new, higher level HM slave Zigzagoon.

Weather institute was rediculously easy, and i am now about to start the fortree gym.

EDIT: Beaten Winnoa. Trophius sort of took me by suprise, but fast pokemon are so useful. As is quick claw. I now have a trophius to replace my zigzagoon, so i can now fly all over the place. Now it's one to lilycove and golduck

swampert

Kip (Male) LV37
Mud Shot
Water Gun
Take Down
Tackle

Lombre

Lily (Female) Lv36

Absorb
Fury Swipes
Fake Out
Nature Power

Sharpedo

Bruce (Male) Lv36

Surf
Crunch
Slash
Focus Energy

Wingull

Harry (Male) Lv36 (I don't like Pelliper much, plus this is getting kicked off the team soon)

Water Gun
Wing Attack
Quick Attack
Mist

Marill

Maria (Female) Lv 34

Bubblebeam
Rollout
Tackle
Double Edge

tropius

HM Slave Sophia (Female) Lv 25

Cut
Razor Leaf
Fly
Rock Smash

Planned Team:

Swampert

Earthquake
Brick Break
Strengh
???(Probably surf)

Golduck

Surf
???
???
???

Sharpedo

Slash
Crunch
Surf
???

Starmie

Thunderbolt
Psychic
Recover
???

kingdra

Dragonbreath (Breed-mother will come from emerald)
Surf
Ice Beam
???

ludicolo

Giga Drain
Hydro Pump
???
???

One of the surfs will be swapped for waterfall, and another for dive

As before suggestions for the other moves will be appreciated, as would warning if i am about to make a huge mistake

Last edited:
FireRed water mono.
Updatearoo.

Koga gave me more trouble than I'd like, but... eh. It went.
Sabrina, on the other hand... bitespam. BITESPAM. Really effective.

Other news... I just need to get my seel.

Current Team:

Blastoise
Nagisa
Male, Level 47, Timid Nature
-Tackle
-Surf
-Bite
-Dig
(Eventual moveset: Skull Bash, Surf, Bite, Earthquake)

Vaporeon
Saya
Female, level 46, Impish Nature
-Water Pulse
-Sand-Attack
-Aurora Beam
-Sand Attack
(Eventual Moveset: Aurora Beam, Water Pulse, Iron Tail, Acid Armor)

Kingler
Near
Male, level 44, Serious nature
-Stomp
-Vicegrip
-Strength (I'll replace this later.)
-Mud Shot
(Eventual Moveset: Crabhammer, Rain Dance, Metal Claw, Toxic)

Lapras
Mihael
Male, level 33, Relaxed nature
-Psychic
-Body Slam
-Confuse Ray
-Ice Beam
(Eventual Moveset: Psychic, Body Slam, Ice Beam, Thunder)

Kabuto
Envy
Male, level 23, Mild nature
-Scratch
-Harden
-Aerial Ace
-Absorb
(Eventual Moveset: Aerial Ace, Slash, Facade, Brick Break)

Plus a Pidgey I'm using to Fly.

Whoo. I'll be back after Giovanni.

On my FireRed Poison monotype, I've beaten Misty, which wasn't hard due to Ivysaur, and reached Bill.
Time for the S.S. Anne. And since Route 4 is too weak to train my level 10s, I'm glad new places are open.
Planned team for (bad) memory purposes:
Venusaur Nidoqueen Tentacruel Arbok Crobat Vileplume
Or something like that.

As for my Emerald Flying mono, I'm stuck leveling my Lv.16 Wingull with level 6s. All the trainers are defeated and there's no strong Pokémon around. Anywhere.
And Roxanne is still impossible because of Nosepass.

^^
If you're having trouble with her, get Taillow out early on Nosepass and spam Growl. Then, it's so much easier.

HTML:
So I won't have to repost constantly; I could refer back to this one and post from there!

[b]Game[/b] Sapphire
[b]Monotype[/b] Water
[b]Play Time[/b] :

[sprite=dp][/sprite]
Name, Level ## (M/F?)
[B]Nature[/B] 
[B]Hold Item[/B]
-
-
-
-

Game Sapphire
Monotype Water
Play Time 38:47

I took out all of the Pokémon in my party (so long, Kirlia, Manectric, Swellow, Gloom) and got these guys instead. Fortunately, I had raised them already in case this would happen (I'd level them up ten levels to the level my Gym Badge declares it (or unofficially declares it). I currently possess the Knuckle Badge, so I leveled everyone up to Level 30 or close to that level (28, 29). I am not bullshitting you. I did it, hence why the Play Time is so high.

Marshtomp
Marshtomp, Level 30 (Male)
Nature Serious
Hold Item Sitrus Berry
- Mud Shot
- Water Gun
- Mud-Slap
- Tackle

Gyarados
Gyarados, Level 28 (Female)
Nature Hardy
Hold Item Oran Berry
- Splash
- Tackle
- Bite
- Dragon Rage

Lombre
Lombre, Level 30 (Female)
Nature Modest (YES!)
Hold Item Leppa Berry
- Astonish
- Fake Out
- Absorb
- Nature Power

Tentacruel
Tentacruel, Level 30 (Male)
Nature Gentle
Hold Item Cheri Berry
- Poison Sting
- Constrict
- Acid
- Bubblebeam

Pelipper
Pelipper, Level 30 (Female)
Nature Timid (eh, all right, I guess, though its Speed SUCKS.)
Hold Item Sitrus Berry
- Growl
- Water Gun
- Protect
- Wing Attack

Okay, so I'm gonna kill my Gold game and do a monotype.

And EV Train. Yay.

Proposed team:

Feraligatr
Azumarill
Lapras
Seadra
Gyarados <-If I catch the shiny, I'm still gonna raise my own.
Poliwrath

Last edited:
Alright, time for me to make an update I guess. *rubs beard* So, where did I leave off? Eh... Oh, I think after I beat Koga. Myes. Well, I took my team to... erm... Geez, I forgot what I did. I know I wiped both routes leading into Fuschia... At one point, I took on Silph Co. and was able to level up everybody to pretty high levels... close to 45, I believe. And, took on Giovanni with ease.

Once that was done, I did the fighting Dojo and used my Electabuzz for the most of it, because of, well, you know, psychic and all. So, after that, I went to Sabrina's gym, fought everybody, and pretty much pin missiled her, and everybody else into oblivion with my Jolteon.

What else? Erm. I used Lapras as an HM slave and went through Seafoam Islands... I tried catching Articuno, twice, but, then, I was just like, 'Forget it' and figured I'd come back to it later. And, since I was also too lazy to figure out the cave, I went south of Pallet Town and battled everyone along that route, making my way to Cinnabar Island.

So, once i got to Cinnabar, I was like woohoo, mansion time. I took that on, did it with relative ease; fighting everybody there and getting up some good levelingness. After that, I took on Blaine and fought all the trainers in his gym. I did pretty well against him. I used my Raichu for his first three pokemon, before Arcanine fainted her. I switched out Electrode, and it got fainted as well. So, I threw out my Electabuzz, which ended up finishing the job.

Right now, I'm at Three Island, and, trying to find wassaname. After I do this, I'll probably keep going, and then update tomorrow. Yessss.

Team:

Raichu
MisfitLove Lv. 50 (Timid)
Thunderbolt
Dig
Double Team
Strength

Electrode
Dead Star Lv. 47 (Docile)
Spark
Charge
Self Destruct
Roll Out

Jolteon
Lazy Eye Lv. 50 (Modest)
Shockwave
Pin Missile
Double Kick
Thunder Wave

Electabuzz
Hullabaloo Lv. 48 (Docile)
Brick Break
Thunderpunch
Thunderbolt
Psychic

Zapdos
PirateKing Lv. 50 (Naughty)
Thunderwave
Steel Wing
Detect
Drill Peck

Magneton
Advice Lv. 48 (Docile)
Spark
Lock-On
Tri Attack
Supersonic

Cherry's Ground Monotype: Chapter 2

Notes:
-Caught some random Pokémon and boxed them for the heck of it.
-Caught Diglett, Sandshrew, and Geodude.
-Defeated Misty.
-Evolved Nidorina into Nidoqueen.
-Currently in Mt. Moon, hunting for Moon Stone to evolve Nidorino.
-Will then train for Vermilion Gym.
-Current playtime - 7:39

Current Team:

[Diglidi] diglett (F)
Level 19
Ability: Sand Veil
Lonely Nature (+ Attack, - Defense)
-Scratch
-Thief
-Magnitude
-Dig

[Pangolin] sandshrew (M)
Level 18
Ability: Sand Veil
Rash Nature (+ Sp. Attack, - Sp. Defense)
-Scratch
-Poison Sting
-Dig
-Rock Tomb

[Latifah] nidoqueen (F)
Level 23
Ability: Poison Point
Adamant Nature (+ Attack, - Sp. Attack)
-Poison Sting
-Scratch
-Body Slam
-Double Kick

[Terrel] geodude (M)
Level 21
Ability: Rock Head
Naughty Nature (+ Attack, - Sp. Defense)
-Tackle
-Mega Punch
-Magnitude
-Rock Throw

[Elvis] nidorino (M)
Level 24
Ability: Poison Point
Lax Nature (+ Defense, - Sp. Defense)
-Horn Attack
-Water Pulse
-Poison Sting
-Double Kick

These Clefairy are pissing me off - they're sooo hard to find! If there's a second Moon Stone that I'm missing somewhere, please let me know. The one I used for Latifah was the one I found in Mt. Moon, the one in the big room with the Hiker that walks around, right near the stairs.

(pssst, in the last part of Mt. Moon, in the room you get the fossil in, there's a little path-to-nowhere on the right (I think) side, with an invisible moon stone at the end.)

Ok, now then.

Kitten's Monotype - Flying

Name: Kitten
Female
Money: 229722
Time: 39:52
Badges:8
Dex:66
ID no.: 17343
Version: FireRed

Stuff:
-I had the stuff up to this at the old forums. >_>;
-Planning to train to lv. 60 before fighting the league

The Squad:

charizard
Shimmer - Female - Lv53 - Hasty
-Aerial Ace
-Flamethrower
-Metal Claw
-Slash

pidgeot
Tobias - Male - Lv50 - Brave
-Wing Attack
-Quick Attack
-Steel Wing
-Fly

gyarados
Flow - Female - Lv50 - Adamant
-Strength
-Surf
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Rage

golbat
Vik - Female - Lv50 - Sassy
-Wing Attack
-Bite
-Poison Fang
-Giga Drain

scyther
Kishnaa - Female - Lv50 - Careful
-Wing Attack
-Slash
-Fury Cutter
-Swords Dance

dragonair
Sylash - Male - Lv50 - Hasty
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Twister
-Thunderwave

x_X; I wish my Dragonair would not be so hard to train. And Vik keeps trying to evolve. And I FINALY got off my butt and trained that Scyther. D:​

Right, scratch my last one, here's my new aimed team for a Water Monotype on Crystal:

Feraligatr Euthrausta (Crunchy)
Azumarill Phusalides (Bubbles)
Poliwrath Speira (Spiral)
Dewgong Ogeiaekei (Ohithere)
Gyarados Leizer (Laser)
Vaporeon Psarialepo (Fishfox)

Today on PichuK's Fire Mono:

-Started Mono (Durr.)
- Beat Chuck. Huzzah.

Team:
Magmar
Level 30
Smog
Fire Punch
Thunder Punch
Dizzy Punch

typhlosion
Level 36
Flame Wheel
Quick Attack
Smokescreen
Growl (._.)

flareon
Level 31
Quick Attack
Iron Tail
Shadow Ball
Tail Whip (._.)

There's no good TMs here in Crystal! :(

Update:

Beaten teams Magma and Aqua several times over, beaten Liza&Tate (not my fault if they insist on using water-weak pokemon, and beaten Juan (that kingdra is VERY annoying

Swampert
Kip (M) Lv43
Water Gun
Mud Shot
Foresight
Strength

lombre
Lily (F) Lv43
Absorb
Giga Drain
Uproar
Nature Power

sharpedo
Bruce (M) Lv43
Surf
Crunch
Slash
Swagger

staryu
Peach Lv43
Bubblebeam
Thunderbolt
Swift
Recover

I have decided to drop golduck in favour of a Milotic (If I can evolve a Feebas), as golduck isn't helping and now seems a good time to try Milotic out.
I am currently waiting to get my brother's game boy to transfer pokemon to breed.

My Flying mono in Diamond, which I haven't actually played very recently so I'm still in the starting stages of the game.

Starly-f
Blackwing
Level 9
Tackle
Growl
Quick Attack
Wing Attack

Planned team:
Staraptor-f Noctowl Crobat Gyarados Honchkrow Beautifly

I'm also considering a Fire mono in FireRed as well.

Team if I decide to go through with it:
Charizard Arcanine Flareon Rapidash Moltres Magcargo
May replace Rapidash and Magcargo with Ninetales and Magmar if I can get my sister to play LeafGreen some more...

Scott's Flying Monotype
Money: 944455
Pokedex: 69
Time: 101:46(Don't ask...)

Notes:
-Rocket Warehouse was laughably easy
-Traded Haunter back and forth to get the better Gengar. Haunter is still cooler.
-Thinking of raising this team to be my first six Lv.100's
Winning Team
Crobat
@King's Rock
Sha~Naive~Lv.72~Female
Wing Attack
Confuse Ray
Poison Fang
Shadow Ball
Notes: His fast speed allowed him to deliver timely (OH)KO's left and right.
Gengar
@------
Tasha~Hasty~Lv.73~Female
Hypnosis
Giga Drain
Thunderbolt
Dream Eater
Notes: She along with my Tentacruel were my most useful members, being used against everyone except Bruno to great effect.
Victreebel
@------
Dagger~Lonely~Lv.72~Male
Razor Leaf
Sludge Bomb
Return
Sleep Powder
Notes: Sadly, Dagger saw no use this time around in the E4 challenge.
Nidoking
@------
Luxembourg~Gentle~Lv.72~Male
Earthquake
Brick Break
Shadow Ball
Flamethrower
Notes: He saw some use, primarily against Gary's Tyranitar, but I used others more often.
Tentacruel
@Sea Incense
Vitreous~Mild~Lv.73~Male
Surf
Supersonic
Ice Beam
Barrier
Notes: Ahhhh, this guy was amazing, to put it lightly. Barrier helped to set up sweeps.
Muk
@Lax Incense
Ariz~Quiet~Lv.72~Male
Fire Blast
Sludge Bomb
Brick Break
Acid Armor
Notes: Only used once, against Gary's Exeggutor, but oh well.​

Woohoo, I'm done! I think I'll proceed with a mono Water on Emerald. Or a mono Bug on a Silver ROM, or mono Fire on a Crystal ROM. Hmmm...

Hmm. I accidentally deletd my save on my Crystal ROM mono, so I'll restart it in a minute. It's good, though, because I'll be able to get my Poliwag immediately (It'll be night by now.)

Back
Top Bottom