• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The CoD Monotype Challenge

Exdeath

Back again (maybe for good this time)!
The TcoD Monotype Challenge
Welcome, one and all, to the monotype challenge, reborn from the ashes of the forums. Hopefully we can all enjoy this challenge to its fullest. If I've missed anything in this post, or there are any inaccuracies and the like, or you feel that some of the rules are unfair/wrong, please inform me.

Naturally, you may post to show your progress, ask for advice on a particularly difficult boss, and to choose your chosen type and possibly a planned team. Try not to post a status report too often; in general, post after a significant event such as a Gym Leader defeat, but you don't have to follow this to the letter-just don't report your status too often.

The Rules

Here, I'll explain the rules that pertain to all of the games in general; note that some of these rules are not set in stone, and may be subject to change.

You may use only your designated type and dualtypes that share the chosen type in battle.

If the chosen type is a type other than the one of your starter, you must use only your starter until you find a desired pokemon of your designated type; you must then ditch your starter.

If your starter or some other pokemon does not have the chosen type but gains it through evolution, you may use that pokemon. (i.e. Nincada into Ninjask or Charmander into Charizard for a Flying-mono)

HM slaves are allowed, but you may not use them in battle under any circumstances. Pickup is to be used at your own judgement; personally, I would use only one Pickup user.

You may trade for evolution, but you may not trade for pokemon not found in your game or extra TMs of any kind. You may use only the TMs found on a single cartridge.

If and when you reach an area where there are pokemon exclusive to your game's counterpart, such as Weedle in Viridian Forest in Yellow, Electabuzz in it's area in LeafGreen, but aren't found in your game, you may trade for these pokemon.
Cheat codes of any kind are not allowed, but glitches are, to a reasonable extent.
I believe that's about it. Now, onto the games themselves....

Red/Blue/Yellow

Ghost, Ice, and Dragon monotypes are not allowed due to the lack of those types.

The challenge is considered complete upon the reaching and defeat/capture of Mewtwo.

Psychic, Bug, Grass, Rock, Fighting and Electric monotypes are also discouraged for use due to a lack of variety; Mew is discouraged since it is technically not supposed to exist without an event that is long gone.

In the case of a Flying mono challenge, you are allowed EITHER Dragonite or one of the legendary birds. In their respective Fire, Electric and Ice mono-challenges, the legendary birds are allowed.

Gold/Silver/Crystal

The challenge is considered complete upon the defeat of Red/Ash.

Ghost, Dragon, Dark and Steel monotypes are not allowed due to a lack of pokemon.

In the case of a Flying mono challenge, you are allowed EITHER Dragonite or one of the legendary birds. In their respective Fire and Psychic monotypes, Ho-Oh and Lugia are allowed.

Celebi, however, is discouraged. I'm aware that it can be obtained in Crystal through the Celebi trick, but it's not supposed to be obtainable in the game apart from a very old event.

The wandering legends (Suicune, e.t.c) are allowed in their respective monotypes.

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

In Ruby/Sapphire, the game is considered complete upon the defeat of the Elite Four and the champion, and the reaching and defeat/capture of Rayquaza.

In Emerald, the game is considered complete upon the defeat of Steven. Capturing or defeating Groudon and Kyogre is also an optional goal.

Fire, Ghost and Dragon monotype challenges are not allowed due to a lack of pokemon.

In the case of a Flying monotype, you are allowed EITHER Salamence or Rayquaza.

Steel monotypes are not allowed unless you have Jirachi from the Colosseum bonus disc or something.

FireRed/LeafGreen

The challenge is considered complete upon the reaching and defeat/capture of Mewtwo and the defeat of the second wave of the Elite Four.

In the case of a flying monotype, you are allowed EITHER Dragonite or one of the legendary birds. In their respective elemental monotypes, the birds are allowed.

Pokemon caught in the Sevii Islands are allowed, and indeed necessary for some monotypes.

Steel, Ghost, Dragon and Dark monotypes are not allowed due to a lack of pokemon.

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

The challenge is considered complete upon the reaching/defeat of Heatran, although obviously you may continue fight and level up your rival.

Dragon and Fire monotypes are not allowed due to lack of pokemon.

Additionally, Ghost, Steel, Rock, Electric and Dark monotypes are discouraged due to the lack of variety before the National Dex-by that time, you're near the end of the challenge,
anyway.

In Platinum, due to the expanded Sinnoh dex, Steel, Electric, Dark and Ghost monotypes are allowed.

That's it for now. If I missed anything, give me a shout and I'll fix it.

Last edited:
Re: The TCoD Monotype Challenge

I'll take a challenge! I'll be using Ground on Ruby

Goal Pokemon:
-Camerupt
-Claydol
-Whiscash
-Steelix
-Flygon
-(Not sure yet. Any suggestions?)

Aww, you remade this before I got a chance to remake it a second time! >:(

I still plan to do a Psychic mono on Diamond. Um. I just need to transfer my Fire team to my other Diamond first.

Why did I get the feeling you'd say that? ;)

Anyway, myself, I've just caught a Tentacool for my Poison mono on LeafGreen; he's being EV trained and trained up to the rest of the team's level. Afterwards, I'll finally clear out Silence Bridge and all of the other missed trainers in preparation for Silph Co.
Here's my team:
VitreousTentacruel m, Mild, Lv. 41-In training
Surf
Ice Beam
Supersonic
Barrier

LuxembourgNidoking m, Gentle Lv. 45
Shock Wave (To be replaced by Earthquake)
Brick Break
Shadow Ball
Flamethrower
Yeah, I know, no Megahorn. My other moves already cover the types it does, and it's a little inaccurate.

DaggerVictreebel m, Lonely, Lv. 45
Razor Leaf
Acid
Return
Sleep Powder

TashaHaunter f, Hasty, Lv. 45
Hypnosis
Giga Drain
Thunderbolt
Dream Eater

JacholVenusaur m, Docile, Lv. 44
Razor Leaf
Tackle
Leech Seed
Sleep Powder

I've decided to forgo using a Venomoth or Muk in favor of going with five; this way, there's a lot less training.

Also, I'm thinking of doing a little minisection on Mystery Dungeon and maybe a few popular ROM hacks. Opinions?

I'm still doing a fire mono on Gold.

AresGrowlithe
Lv.28
Bite
Roar
Ember
Take Down

MagnolMagmar
Lv.28
Ember
Smokescreen
Smog
Fire Punch

FlareFlareon
Lv.28
Tackle
Tail Whip
Sand-Attack
Quick Attack

LizzieCharmeleon
Lv.28
Scratch
Scary Face
Ember
Smokscreen

TyQuilava
Lv.28
Quick Attack
Leer
Smokescreen
Ember

I also have two HM Slaves both named HM SLAVE. I'm currently on my way to the Lake of Rage to battle the red Gyarados. I feel like my Pokemon are underlevled.

I'm going to start a Grass mono-type challenge on FireRed.

My proposed pre-E4 team:

Venusaur
Victreebell
Exeggutor
Vileplume
Parasect
Tangela

Diversity - I'm doing it wrong. -_-

Why did I get the feeling you'd say that? ;)

Anyway, myself, I've just caught a Tentacool for my Poison mono on LeafGreen; he's being EV trained and trained up to the rest of the team's level. Afterwards, I'll finally clear out Silence Bridge and all of the other missed trainers in preparation for Silph Co.
Here's my team:
VitreousTentacruel m, Mild, Lv. 41-In training
Surf
Ice Beam
Supersonic
Barrier

LuxembourgNidoking m, Gentle Lv. 45
Shock Wave (To be replaced by Earthquake)
Brick Break
Shadow Ball
Flamethrower
Yeah, I know, no Megahorn. My other moves already cover the types it does, and it's a little inaccurate.

DaggerVictreebel m, Lonely, Lv. 45
Razor Leaf
Acid
Return
Sleep Powder

TashaHaunter f, Hasty, Lv. 45
Hypnosis
Giga Drain
Thunderbolt
Dream Eater

JacholVenusaur m, Docile, Lv. 44
Razor Leaf
Tackle
Leech Seed
Sleep Powder

I've decided to forgo using a Venomoth or Muk in favor of going with five; this way, there's a lot less training.

Also, I'm thinking of doing a little minisection on Mystery Dungeon and maybe a few popular ROM hacks. Opinions?

Mystery Dungeon, um, on it, your partner tends to prevent the monotype aspect.

Hacks... YES!

Oh, fsgdsfdgsdfsg. Bellsprout is only available in LeafGreen. v_v Looks like I'll have to make do with five Pokemon. I suppose that lets me carry round an HM Slave, so it's not all bad.

I might try this at some point, probably on Silver. Sorry to sort of spam up the place.

@Blaziking: Do it, do it...

Anyway. *ahem*
I think I'll scrap the Mystery Dungeon part, since by the time you can freely explore, the game's mostly over apart from a couple level one regression dungeons... I will, however, likely write up a section on ROM hacks, starting with ShinyGold, the only one I've played. It's also conveniently pretty far in terms of progress.

Still, I need a few more people in favor of this, as well as people who've played the other hacks before i make a final decision.

I want to do this so badly, but there's just too many choices for both types and games (I have at least one game from every generation out so far and, with the exception of Pearl, none of them are very far at all)...

Gah. *pulls out notebook to write down possibilities*

EDIT: Oh, right, and a question.

I want to do my mono on Diamond, but does the the end point really have to be Heatran? Heck, I haven't even reached that far in my Pearl version, which I have both Cresselia and Giratina in.

(yeah maybe it sounds like I'm being stupidly picky but honestly isn't the e4 hard enough? 8D)

Last edited:

Journal Entry #1

Name: Masaki
ID Number: 41932
Money:
Pokébuck_sign.gif
Badges Obtained: 1
Pokédex: 2
Time: 2:00

Successfully defeated Brock at the first attempt. He chose to use his level 12 Geodude first off, and I sent out Shokubutsu, my level 14 Bulbasaur and only Pokemon as of yet. One 4x effective Vine Whip took Geodude down, however. At this, Shokubutsu reached level 15, and learnt Poisonpowder. Next was Brock's Onix, level 14. It started with Bind, but once again a 4x effectiveness Vine Whip OHKO'd him. The experience points almost made Shokubutsu reach level 16, and evolution, but alas.

Badge Obtained - BoulderBadge

I got Shokubutsu healed up and headed east, making for Mt. Moon. I battled a young girl, defeating her two Pidgey with a combination of Poisonpowder, Leech Seed and Tackle, which meant Shokubutsu reached level 16, and afterwards he evolved into an Ivysaur!

Current Pokémon:

[Shokubutsu] Ivysaur (M)
Level 16
Overgrow
-Vine Whip
-Tackle
-Leech Seed
-Poisonpowder

Well, you don't absolutely have to end the challenge at Heatran; it's just a logical ending point. you can end it at the Elite Four and Cynthia if you really want.

Okay. xD The way the post (and all its predecessors) is worded makes it sound like the challenge *has* to be completed there.

I'll probably beat the E4 on my mono and then play it some more whenever I'm bored until I reach Heatran. Or something like that.

*starts sorting through types to pick*

I think I'm going for a ground mono in Leaf Green.

My possible team*:
Nidoqueen/king (Whichever I find really.)
Sandslash
Golem
Steelix
Piloswine
Rhydon (Hmslave/Filler. He's great cause he learns surf. :3)

Any advice or anything? Up for criticism.

*I might change my team a bit

Last edited:

Normal Monotype on Sapphire
Name: Normal
Time: 4:52

Team:
Zigzagoon ---- Slakoth ---- Taillow ---- Zigzagoon
Zigzagoon lv. 15 - Slakoth lv. 10 - Taillow lv. 13 - HM Slave lv. 3​

In Box:
Wingull ---- Lotad
HM Slave lv. 4 - HM Slave lv. 4​

Current Status:
Still levelling up to fight Roxanne. Barely beat her first junior trainer with a lv. 14 Zigzagoon so I'm going to level my whole team (except my HM slaves) up to about 16 or 17 before I try to continue.

Okay. xD The way the post (and all its predecessors) is worded makes it sound like the challenge *has* to be completed there.
This is just for fun. Do whatever you want.

Last edited:

Yay, I've just crushed Blaine, who was no trouble. Sabrina wasn't either, but that's likely because I'm overleveled. It's going to be worth it for the Elite Four Mk. II, though. I'm currently on Mt. Ember, breezing along...

Team, which are all at level 53:
TentacruelVitreous
Surf
Ice Beam
Supersonic
Barrier
NidokingLuxembourg
Shock Wave
Brick Break
Shadow Ball
Flamethrower
VictreebelDagger