• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The CoD Monotype Challenge

After finishing my nuzlocke of platinum (boy was that hard). I have decided to do a flying mono of sapphire.

Bek
Team:
277swellow.png
Grace (f) 30
Wing attack
Endeavor
Double team
Quick attack
279pelipper.png
Wing (f) 29
Water gun
Wing attack
Supersonic
Growl

And slave the zigzagoon

Wow, good luck with that. The only strategy that I think is possible in that situation is get lucky with damage so that endeavor takes Magneton down low enough that Pelipper can KO it afterwards. Either that or catch another pokemon.

---
I found my Leaf Green cartridge, which has my Bug Solo run on it! Hooray!

I currently have a team of 5:

Beedrill
Beedrill Lv 41
Twineedle / Brick Break / Fury Attack / Aerial Ace

Butterfree
Butterfree Lv 40
Psybeam / Stun Spore / Sleep Powder / Psychic

Parasect
Parasect Lv 43
Slash / Spore / Leech Life / Bullet Seed

Pinsir
Pinsir Lv 39
Revenge / Brick Break / Rock Tomb / Dig

Venomoth
Venomoth Lv 41
Psybeam / Giga Drain / Sleep Powder / Stun Spore

Location - Saffron Pokemon Centre.
Sleep makes this one pretty easy, so I think I'll just skip the rest of the trainers.

Wattson's Voltorb knows Selfdestruct, so you might want to just get a useless Wurmple or something to take the damage. All three of them have SonicBoom, which can be extremely annoying as well.

This strangely reminds me of the time I tried to beat Wattson's gym with only an overtrained Swellow.

This is true but I don't see why you'd want to cuz there's some good EXP. in there. Plus his Makuhita has an attack EV higher than anything in the game up to that point.

for training purposes so that you don't lose terribly to brawly? I find it useful to clear out slateport beach first, but. that second part seems to reflect a misunderstanding of EVs.

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Hyst
[B]Game:[/B] Crystal
[B]Type:[/B] Poison

~Game Details~

[B]Money on Hand:[/B]
[B]Money on Mom:[/B]
[B]Badges:[/B] 
[B]Game Time Played:[/B]
[B]Area last saved:[/B]

~Pokemon~

[B]Nickname[/B]
[U]Species Name[/U]
[I]Held Item[/i]
Move 1
Move 2
Move 3
Move 4
Name: Hyst
Game: Crystal
Type: Poison

~Game Details~

Money on Hand: 3000
Money on Mom: 0
Badges: 0
Game Time Played: 00:02
Area last saved: Elm's Lab

~Pokemon~

HM
Totodile (F)
Berry
Tackle
Tail Whip

[size=+3]Gary's Underground Adventure[/size]

Swampert
Harry
lvl. 45
Take Down | Brick Break | Mud Shot | Surf

Camerupt
Hermione
lvl. 40
Amnesia | Earthquake | Ember | Overheat

Vibrava
Ron
lvl. 37
Crunch | Sand-Attack | Faint Attack | Dragonbreath

Claydol
Voldemort @ Lax Incense
lvl. 38
Shadow Ball | Psybeam | Ancientpower | Sandstorm

Just beat Wallace, and now headed to the Leauge. (:
I plan to train everyone up to 40-45 before I challenge the Elite four.
Also, no significant progress on my Flying mono in Sapphire. D:​

Last edited:
Well, I just got Platinum (I know I'm behind, but it was on clearance), so I have a new game to go through. So, without further ado, here's a steel monotype:

Trainer: Diana
Time: 2:00
Badges: 1
Party:
Prinplup
Pingu (Male)
Lv18
Pound
Metal Claw
Bubble
Peck

(Future) HM SLAVES:

Bidoof
Pioneer (Male)

Starly
Hermes (Male)

Once again, my monotype is female. I think I may stick to this theme, just 'cause. Started on the train today and spent most of the first hour and a half grinding so that I would have peck to deal with my rival (Roy). Also spent some of that time trying to find a male Starly, which seemed to all be absent. Piplup them evolved in Oreburgh Gate, funnily enough after beating Picnicker Diana, and with the trainer fights around the mine and gym Rorak was easy enough (but since my only Pokémon is a Water-type, this was to be expected).
Next up, northwards, and team expansion. Since I don't want to have to try and get Pingu to evolve again before the second gym, I need a Burmy, and it's going to be fun getting it to evolve in the right form.

Edit:

Trainer: Diana
Time: 8:52
Badges: 3

Party:
Prinplup
Pingu (Male)
Lv29
Pound
Metal Claw
Bubblebeam
Peck

Wormadam-steel
Vesta (Female, obviously)
Lv29
Confusion
Mirror Shot
Bug Bite
Hidden Power (Seems to be Dragon)

Bronzor
Big Ben
Lv 28
Confusion
Hypnosis
Extrasensory
Confuse Ray

HM SLAVES:
Bidoof
Pioneer - Rock Smash/Cut

Starly
Hermes

Pickup:
Aipom
Loki

Random non-monotype layabouts:
Togepi
Zephyrus

Eevee
Chaos

Ralts
Venus

Headed north, spent a couple of days dealing with combee (and multiple Aipom) before catching a Burmy. Went and took out trainers that were skipped for this purpose, cleared the windworks and used the pair in the trainer's school to get the right Wormadam. Nothing much of note - Gardenia was easy enough with Wormadam, and Jupiter wasn't any harder. Once I had the bike I went to Wayward cave for my Bronzor (not realising it was moved to the route east of Eterna) and took on more skipped trainers. Headed through to Hearthome and took on Fantina, who was potentially troublesome without anything to counter Ghosts. Big Ben barely won out against Duskull, meaning Vesta had to deal with Haunter and Mismagius, Pingu taking too much damage too fast. Still won though, and beat Roy in the gatehouse as well.
Next up, north again, this time to Solaceon. The team is probably going to need a significant boost, since it won't be getting bigger for a while.

Last edited:
I'm gonna do this! I already started a Flying one on Platinum, I'm gonna do a few of these on these games: Red (Still works!), Yellow (ROM), Gold (ROM), Crystal (ROM), Sapphire, Leaf Green, Emerald, and Diamond. Might also do one with XD.

My Platinum status:

Name: Nico (Female, Rival: Spandam)

Team:

Piplup Lv. 6 (Won't be used)/Lil Bitch (Male/Shiny! Soft reseting is a pain, but is worth it)

Starly Hawkeye (Female) Lv. 4: Tackle, Growl

Just got Hawkeye, also got to Sandgem.

My proposed team:
Hawkeye/ Staraptor
RAGE!/ Gyarados
Batman/ Gliscor
Don/ Honchkrow (Will be traded from Diamond)
Hot Air/ Drifblim (Will soft reset to make shiny, I'm picky like that)
Slave/ Bibarel (Don't wanna enslave the poor fella, but it looks like I have no choice :( )

Proposed Red Fire Run:

Name: Gru (Rival will be Vector, I love Dispicable Me)

Team:

Leo/Charizard
Hot Stuff/Flareon
Woof/Arcanine (LOL Uncreativity)
Epona/Rapidash
Slave One/Geodude (Strength)
Slave Two/Paras (For cutting and Flash)/Will swap places with Slave 3/Goldeen for surfing.

Proposed Yellow Normal:

Name: Thunder (Rival: Lightning)

Team:

Mickey/Raticate
Crane/Fearow
Coby/Clefable
Kuro/Persian (Can you get it in Yellow?)
Siezure/Porygon
Lazy Ass/Snorlax

Proposed Gold Ground:

Name: Ninten (Rival: Sony LOL)

Team:

Rocky/Graveler (If there's a way to evolve Graveler on a ROM, please let me know)
Retard/Quagsire
Drill Man/Rhydon
Jumbo/Donphan
Elizabeth/Nidoqueen
James/Nidoking
Scout/Sentret (HM Slave)

Proposed Crystal Grass Team:

Name: Erika (Female, Rival: Asswipe)

Team:

Fauna/Meganium
Slasher/Victreebel
Aroma/Vileplume
Hula/Bellossom
Wood Man/Exeguttor
Dude/Goldeen (Surfing, Waterfall)

Proposed Sapphire Fighting:

Name: Cortez (Male)

Team:

Joe/Blaziken
Steroids/Machamp
Kneeboobs/Medicham
Doskoi/Hariyma
Slavecoon/Zigzagoon
Airplane/Tailow

Proposed Leaf Green Water:

Name: Dante (Male, Rival: Virgil)

Team:
Gunz/Blastoise
StevnQuire/Gyarados (Hope you get the reference)
Tard/Golduck
Air Man/Poliwrath
Dasani/Vaporeon
Cutter/Paras

Proposed Emerald Rock:

Name: Blanca

Team:
Brock/Golem
Popeye/Armaldo
Steele/Aggron
Lexaeus/Rhydon
Granny/Relicanth
Slavecoon2/Zigzagoon

Proposed Diamond Poison:

Name: Pan (Female, Rival: Shit)

Team:
Farts/Skuntank
Sexy Plant/Roserade
Kermit/Toxicroak
Gold Roger/Gengar
Kraken/Tentacool
Mustachio/Kricketune

EDIT: Made some progress!

Staravia
Hawkeye (F)
Lv. 15
Double Team
Growl
Quick Attack
Wing Attack

Murkrow
Yakuza (M, Sounded better than Don,)
Lv. 14
Peck
Astonish
Pursuit
Haze

Major Battles: Nico's Air Force vs. Spandam's Spaz Squad
Despite being a disobedient son of a bitch due to being traded from Diamond, Yakuza took care of Spandam's team. Starly fell to one Pursuit without disobedience, on Turtwig, Yakuza kept ignoring me and getting Tackled to about nearly half-health, he eventually brought down Turtwig with two Pecks.

Just arrived in Oreburg City, planning on doing some grinding in the mines before I take on Roark. No idea how I'll win with only a Staravia and a rebellious Murkrow.

Last edited:
Drawing a random picture has led me to do a poorly planned Ghost/Dark/Scary monotype on the original Gold.

This will probably turn out badly, but why not try? My planned team:

Houndoom, Haunter, Misdreavus, Marowak, Murkrow, and Sneasel.

However, since so many are obtained late-game, I'm allowing myself 'scary' pokemon, so my current team is:

Spr_2g_069.png

Venusite the bellsprout and

Spr_2g_155.png

Canterlot the cyndaquil.

Granted, neither of these are all that scary (and I'm not too fond of bellsprout anyway) but soon I will catch a spinarak and this monotype/theme will really begin.

D:

Goodbye Canterlot and Venusite...

Last edited:
I plan on doign a real playthrough of White but might do a monotype on Black. Not sure if there will be enough of the same type to do one, but maybr I will.

Got my first badge! :D

SneaselLover's Flying Monotype Challenge!!!

Player: Nico (Rival: Spandam)
Money: ¥350
Badges: 1

Staravia

Hawkeye (F)
Lv. 23

Double Team
Endeavor
Quick Attack
Wing Attack

Murkrow

Yakuza
Lv. 18

Pluck
Astonish
Pursuit
Haze

Major Battles: Nico's Air Force vs Roark's Rumble Rocks

It was easy, surprisingly. Hawkeye's Intimidate and a few Growls weakened Geodude. I then Double Teamed a few times, and Wing Attacked it to death. Onix was easier, it kept missing and I kept Wing Attacking. Cranidos was pathetic: Wing Attack, Failed Headbutt, Wing Attack Critical Hit!, Cranidos fainted! Too easy!

Nico's Air Force vs Mars' Nasties
Another easy fight, Mars' Zubat fell to one Wing Attack from Hawkeye, and Purugly did a Fake-Out, then a Critical Hit Scratch which got me to about 4 health. Thanks to Endeavor, I got Purugly's health that low, and finished it off with a Quick Attack.

Current Progress: I'm in Eterna Forest with Cheryl, attempting to level up Yakuza to lv. 20, having an okay time despite Yakuza being a disobedient bastard.

And does any one know when you can catch Drifloon? I got Team Galactic out of the Wind Works and fast forwarded to Friday, but Drifloon's not there! What happened?

If you change the date, the game won't have it show up. Either wait for real-Friday, or change the date to a minute before midnight on a Thursday.

At first, I thought this was a wonderful and moderately challenging idea... But, only about a half hour in, I'm starting to realize the error of my ways...

RWS'
Poison Mono-type Run

Trainer: Io (#09242)
Version: Diamond
Funds: $208
Badges: none
Time: 0:36

Zubat
Belmont Lv.4
Jolly/Inner Focus

Leech Life
Piplup
PIPLUP Lv.8
HM Slave

And the only other thing I have to look forward to in the near future is Budew... Oh, joy.
At least the nature is decent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom