• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The LGBT Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
All depends on who's doin the outing, who's getting outed, what their relationship is...

I mean if it's your best friend and you both know that you don't want in on that game then whoa not cool. But if it's your buddy and you've either asked or acknowledged that it's for the better, then, well, it's alright, I suppose.

Aaaaah, this will not diiiiiie~

Guh, Boris D< It sucks; every time I start thinking that the UK is a pretty cool place, LGBT-stuff-wise (look at all the gay-related stuff the BBC churns out - I'm assuming I was the only one to catch the airing of Affinity a couple of weeks ago? Good stuff.) and then something like this comes along. :/

sigh

damn Conservatives. wish they'd stop being silly about gays, then I could totally vote for them with no reservations.

Boris did show up at the Pride Parade, so er credits to him I guess. He's still an asshole but a lesser one.
Has Cameron ever been to a Parade? He should. He's your future Prime Minister, he should pre-emptively go to this year's.

Speaking of parades, is anyone going to one this year? I'll probably check out Brussels Pride if I don't mess up the date (like last year fff).

Uuuuh maybe? Depends when it's on/who wants to come with. I've never been to one, but it would be pretty cool.

Also! I was in London today and was thrilled by the number of posters on the Underground advertising Milk. I'm assuming that means it's gonna have a pretty large release, which is awesome, because I thought it might've been one of those movies that showed at about three gay cinemas, was released by a DVD label that nobody has ever heard of, and the only way I could see it would either be online or striking incradibly lucky at an obscure second-hand DVD shop (like I found Gray Matters for £2 the other week! :D). My point is, I'm hoping it shows at Canterbury's Odeon and I can persuade my homies to come with. I know my best friend's desperate to see it, so I might make the trip over to London to see it with her sometime, too.

Ooh, and I also finally got around to watching V for Vendetta today and absolutely loved it. Stephen Fry is awesome <3

I don't think I'd like a Pride type event, too much gay going on. (seriously that's my reason. I know I've pulled off a whole lot of gay [lol dr frank says hi] but that's too much for me.)

I have this college I really really want to go to; my 'dream college' I guess, and for a while I was very concerned about how LGBT-friendly the city is.

So, I got off my butt and did some research, and apparently I was being rather silly. It's one of the most gay-friendly cities in the country and hosts one of the US's biggest pride parades. xD There's a section of the city's tourism website for gays and everything. I really don't know how I've managed to go to this city so many times and not notice this. Now I'm going to be very sad if I don't get into this college. :(

The friendliness is really nice, but I'm not so sure if I'd go to the parade. It kind of depends on what sort of shindig it is. Might not be my sort of thing.

The V for Vendetta movie is awesome. I should read the graphic novel.

Please tell me the city's LA/NY so I can laugh X3
But seriously, that's really awesome; I really hope you get in there, because it sound like it'll be a really refreshing change from the town you currently live in~
And even if you don't go to the events and things, towns that have pride parades and stuff are socially more accepting of LGBT people; and (in the UK at least) university cities and towns are really open-minded about stuff because educated young people are awesome. Everyone I've come out to at uni (which is like 6 people but still) has been totally fine with it, and all my female friends here seem to have a gay guy for a best friend.

My housemate has the V for Vendetta graphic novel, which I need to steal and read. And the book version of Fried Green Tomatoes (I've seen the we-took-out-the-gay-to-get-a-PG-rating movie), which I really should read at some point or they'll take away my toaster X3

Oh, yeah, the whole coming out thing is like a non-event really. Still haven't come out to my family because it's funnier this way but all the friends I've told (which admittedly isn't many) have been like "oh lol really? cool i guess."

Ooh, Milk's been nominated for 8 Oscars. That is very, very cool :D

Found this article earlier about the UK's attitudes towards gay people and it was really, really interesting (it's really long, but click on it just to see the opinon graphs). Some of the statistics are pretty cool; "89% of people are in favour
of laws which would make it illegal to incite hatred on the grounds of sexual orientation.", which is awesome till you realize that means 11% of people think there shouldn't be. Ah well. We'll get there. The UK's making some good progress.

Actually, talking about the UK being all crazy-liberal, this made me giggle.

I like the atheist bus ; ; I think it's neat.

Also on the subject of gay we really need to get rid of civil unions in favour of marriage. It's not such an important thing really but it's one of those niggling things because it's like "you're different but equal :D" (and everyone knows how well that works!)

Hahaha, some of the graphs made me laugh.
88% would feel comfortable if a member of the Royal family were gay (because... we all know that members of the Royal family have sex with people of the same gender? I don't know I thought this was pretty obvious, especially since Charles got caught and all)!
60% hate young people! Sixty per cent of Britain is made up of crabby old bitches!

And who were the 3% who said that gay people are most likely to hide their sexual orientation in art-related jobs because really. Really.
2% think the BNP is gay friendly.
I mean these are all in real life trolls or legally retarded.

The atheist bus is sweet.

Atheist bus kinda annoys me.

Wish they would do that survey stateside, it'd be worth a lol.

I think the bus is pretty funny - it's relatively common to see big quotes from scripture on posters around the London Underground, so it's only fair if the other side gets to put up some advertising, too. Plus, lots of the religious stuff is a great deal more heavy than "stop worrying and enjoy life!".

I know, I wish they'd done a US version of attitudes, etc. so they could be compared and things; I mean, we hear about a lot of horrendously anti-gay stuff happening in USland, but that doesn't mean it's representative of everyone.
Like the survey said, despite some religious leaders being absolute bigots (leading loads of people to think that religoious people = anti-gay), religious people in general are no more homophobic than the average person off the street, which is very cool. :)

I'd say being a dick is one of the traits you need to be pope

given their track record, anyway!

I think people are surprising. People you think would be iffy with gays turn out to be really sort of "who cares" about the whole thing! and people you think would hate gays turn out to be like "lol it's weird but w/e." I've not had a "OMFG YOU SICKO" reaction though. maybe because they know it's not in vogue?

WTF. :B

So I'm gonna do a research project for English about lgbt rights and how to have us not treated like shit

probably accidentally outing myself in the meanwhile

BUT HEY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom