• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Metronome Contest

Hoorah! I got through! Note to self: explosions are good for scores. Bad moves, good explosions. Etcetera.

Also: THIS STILL EXISTS? O: SURPRISE HAS BEEN EXPRESSED BY ME

Stupor time is over. Let's move on.

So, let's recap.

For this second round, each one of you winners are getting two sets of four moves. That's because you'll send out two Pokémon, and each one will use from each set. By the way, each one may use exclusively from their own set. So, if one set has Earthquake and the other has Fissure, you won't get to combine them into a single Pokémon's performance, but you will get to have your two Pokémon coordinate these moves for impressive effects.

Additionally, we're getting out of the boring stage hall into a variety of stages. I've made twelve up. There are eight contestants. Each one was randomly dealt a stage, and four are out of the play for now.

So, without further ado, here are your moves and arenas.

Big Red Cherry Bomb:
A: Embargo / Softboiled / Assurance / Endeavor
B: Featherdance / Assurance / Tackle / SolarBeam
Stage: Sandstorm Valley
A large chasm with several cliffsides along the steep sides. One of them is wide enough to be stepped on safely. Strong winds blow in the area, carrying sand with them (Sandstorm is considered in effect unless another weather move is used). A river will be added to the bottom if there is need for a water-dwelling Pokémon to make an appearance.

Skylark:
A: Double Team / X-Scissor / Wake-Up Slap / Rock Polish
B: Rest / Brave Bird / Muddy Water / Bonemerang
Stage: Gloomy Metropole
Skyscrapers cast shadow on the traffic jammed roads while rain pours down (Rain Dance is considered in effect unless another weather move is used). There are plenty of pedestrians in suits running around, often using innovative methods to avoid getting wet. One building stands out, being distinctively tall, with a massive globe-shaped cupola at the top, made of glass with continent-shaped, bronze details. Destructive potential is high. Small dirty puddles are everywhere, allowing for Muddy Water to be used. A larger puddle will be added if an exclusively water-dwelling Pokémon is to be sent out.

Ultraviolet:
A: Muddy Water / Poison Gas / AncientPower / Glare
B: Toxic / Sky Uppercut / Synthesis / Thunder Wave
Stage: Imperial Ruins
The remains of a large castle watch over the lands below from the top of a mountain, surrounded by a steep moat. The entrant can choose whether they want to begin from the area above the front wall, wherein archers would punish invaders before they could approach, or from inside the castle, in the extremely ample wall with several spires leading to the other rooms. Damaging the castle considerably will awaken the ghosts of the knights and kings, who will haunt the place. There's a natural lake outside the castle and an artificial one inside; both allow for Muddy Water's usage.

Blastoise:
A: Tackle / Belly Drum / Arm Thrust / Metal Claw
B: Refresh / Mega Punch / Toxic / Bullet Seed
Stage: Fancy Restaurant
The smell of money reeks from everything in this restaurant -- from the groomed floor, to the soft chairs, to the gourmet menu, to the artsy decor, to the sort of people that frequents the place. There is a fountain on one of the walls, sized enough for small water-dwelling Pokémon and to supply water-based attacks. Destructive potential is high.

blazheirio889:
A: AncientPower / Curse / ExtremeSpeed / Sky Uppercut
B: Charge Beam / Fake Tears / Crabhammer / Skull Bash
Stage: Volcanic Mountains
A thin, unsafe, badly kept road weaves around several active, black volcanoes, close to their mouthes. The lava is visible; the smoke obscures the sky (rendering Sunny Day ineffective if used), but people traveling on the road are distanced from it enough to breathe properly. There is a hot spring in the vicinty for water-dwelling Pokémon and water-based attacks.

Squornshellous Beta:
A: Bide / Quick Attack / Meteor Mash / Rock Throw
B: Leaf Blade / Iron Defense / Pluck / Avalanche
Stage: Sunny Archipelago
Several small, sandy islands are bathed by the strong sunlight (Sunny Day is considered in effect unless another weather move is used). It's possible to travel from one island to the other by foot, as only shallow seas stand between them.

sreservoir:
A: Eruption / Uproar / Tail Glow / Whirlpool
B: Drill Peck / Brick Break / Torment / Tailwind
Stage: Barren Glacier
A desolate, icy landscape extends to all sides, with a strong snowstorm blowing in the area (Hail is considered in effect unless another weather move is used), making it difficult to see. The only thing in the vicinty other than the white grounds and maybe an Ice-type Pokémon or other is an abandoned, rusty laboratory gathering snow. A mostly frozen lake will be added if a Pokémon sent out needs to be in water.

Walker:
A: Dark Void / Seed Flare / Taunt / Hi Jump Kick
B: Transform / Tail Whip / Thunder Fang / Uproar
Stage: Deep Trench
Miles beneath the water's surface, this is one of the lowest places in Asber. The laws of physics and other normalities are scoffed at, allowing visitors to breathe, flames to avoid being put out and so on forth, as well as averting the effects of the extreme pressure. Even sound and electricty still travel as if surrounded by normal air if so the contest entrant wishes. Deep sea dwelling Pokémon often swim by.

The four top scoring will pass. This time, your skill is probably on trial moreso than your luck, seeing as even a legendary signature would fall flat if it failed to follow the whole two Pokémon dynamic. And since some of you may take a while to realize METRONOME CONTEST EXISTS, DQ time will be extended; we'll wait for 15 days unless you have an excuse from the Absence Sheet.

oh good look it's up I can post this thing I wanted to say before. FATHERLY ADVICE TIME, KIDDIES, LISTEN UP

If I may say something, I'd like to point out my comment on Byrus's appeal there—the advice I gave him actually applies to several of your appeals. Purely showy appeals are just supposed to look pretty/scary/bombastic and are fine without any apparent impetus as long as the actions used flow together, but if your appeal is narrative in nature then you may need to take steps to ensure that the narrative actually starts off properly (or ends properly, as the case may be). Narratives that have to do with pokémon that are reacting to something generally work best if they're... actually reacting to something as opposed to just flailing around out of the blue. Ideally you'd want the pokémon to have a clean way to create its own trigger, or at least have a second pokémon in a doubles appeal, but if you don't have that available then nothing's stopping you the trainer from contributing to the storytelling. It doesn't take much to start poking your steelix or waving your hands at your starly or making scary noises from off-stage, and you're not all that likely to upstage them, so things like that can make narrative appeals a bit more sound and provide a more solid goal for your pokémon to attempt. Don't be afraid to get yourself involved just a little! Besides, there are paramedics around, so you won't suffer much in the way of permanent damage! Probably!

There you go. Funstuffs, nice appeals, good luck, etc.. Carry on. And take this cleffa off my hands. :(

surprise at this existing goes here, with a vaguely self-deprecating comment about my complete abandonment of asb outside this worked in there somehow

Can both Pokemon use the same set?

Fancy Restaurant
The smell of money reeks from everything in this restaurant -- from the groomed floor, to the soft chairs, to the gourmet menu, to the artsy decor, to the sort of people that frequents the place. There is a fountain on one of the walls, sized enough for small water-dwelling Pokémon and to supply water-based attacks. Destructive potential is high.
92.png
Ani092OD.png
92.png

[Mort] Gastly [♂]
Levitate
Tackle / Belly Drum / Arm Thrust / Metal Claw

129.png
Ani129OD.png
129.png

[Wiggles] Magikarp [♂]
Swift Swim
Refresh / Mega Punch / Toxic / Bullet Seed

Tuxedos! I love 'em, thank god I rented one. And one for my magikarp, Wiggles, as well. (He can wear a tuxedo, right? Pleeeeaaase? If not, then I guess it's not necessary...)

Mort, I want you to zoom past the audience (or camera, whatever we're performing for), flashing them a grin before shimmering away into invisibility. Wiggles, I'll have sent you into the fountain. Try splashing around a bit while you're at it. Mort, I then want you to kind of... partially envelop Wiggles, lift him up into the air. Start maniacally laughing at this point. Use a Belly Drum (somehow) to tamp out a beat like the beginning of that 2001 song (Dum-dum dum-dum dum-dum ad nauseum) as Wiggles uses Bullet Seed to break everyone's wineglasses.

Fly him around a bit, over the peoples' heads, while still invisible. Wiggles will Toxic everyone's food a little bit as you guys pass over each table, slapping peoples' head (and hopefully wigs/toupees) with his tail. You'll still be eerily cackling while this is going on, and Metal Clawing any paintings or other decoration as you do.

Finally, find the biggest chandelier in the place and launch Wiggles downward at it, at speed. He'll turn in midair and Mega PunchTail the thing downwards, shattering it in the process. Meanwhile you'll be Arm Thrusting a leg off of everyone's chairs, making them all fall down comically.

Wiggles will flail around on the debris and you'll still be cackling, now visible and laughing in everyone's faces.

Mort: Belly Drum ~ Metal Claw ~ Arm Thrust

Wiggles: Bullet Seed ~ Toxic ~ Arm Thrust

(He can wear a tuxedo, right? Pleeeeaaase? If not, then I guess it's not necessary...)
That he can.

Also, it helps mentioning, all appeals are being filmed. No direct audience to interact with; even the populated arenas feature only populace that's not part of the audience (and thus can be messed with, without significant repercussions)

The Metronome Contest
Prizes​

- All Pokémon participating will receive one point of experience.

I've a question about this. Theoretically, if I used pokemon A in my first appeal, and I used pokemon A and pokemon B in my second appeal, pokemon A and pokemon B would get one experience point each right? If I used pokemon A in my first appeal, and I used pokemon B and pokemon C in my second appeal, pokemonA, pokemon B and pokemon C would get one experience point each. Am I correct?

Basically, would it be more efficient, "experience point-wise", to use different pokemon in the second appeal?

I've a question about this. Theoretically, if I used pokemon A in my first appeal, and I used pokemon A and pokemon B in my second appeal, pokemon A and pokemon B would get one experience point each right? If I used pokemon A in my first appeal, and I used pokemon B and pokemon C in my second appeal, pokemonA, pokemon B and pokemon C would get one experience point each. Am I correct?

Basically, would it be more efficient, "experience point-wise", to use different pokemon in the second appeal?
Yep. It does say that "All Pokémon participating will receive one point of experience", and not "All Pokémon participating will receive one point of experience for each round they appean in". I don't think I'm even allowed to let a single Pokémon get three points of experience out of this; that's enough for most evolutions.

Stage: Sunny Archipelago
Several small, sandy islands are bathed by the strong sunlight (Sunny Day is considered in effect unless another weather move is used). It's possible to travel from one island to the other by foot, as only shallow seas stand between them.
Well then! Erm. I guess we can do something with that. Um, Let's try this:

Cranidos
Ornithischia (Male)
Moveset A: Bide / Quick Attack / Meteor Mash / Rock Throw

Meowth
Tibbles (Male)
Moveset B: Leaf Blade / Iron Defense / Pluck / Avalanche

Let's get the camera at a reasonably high angle, but make sure that it can see both Pokémon from the front. If they could start off a couple of islands apart, please.

Okay. Let's start off with Tibbles using Iron Defense, look as though you're charging up for something.
Now, Ornithischia, use Rock Throw, as high as you possibly can.
Tibbles, now that you're all shiny, use Leaf Blade, both to launch yourself into the air and then to slice the rocks into little pieces. Try to get the little pieces to stay in a big group.
Ornit, use Quick Attack to launch yourself into the air and go straight into Meteor Mash to hit the now-little rocks and scatter them. Since physics works oddly for Pokémon, this should be about the point you both begin falling.
Finally, Tibbles, use Avalanche as you fall to get the rocks to fall in a star shape, and make sure they all land in the ocean around one of the larger islands, making a neat star-shaped splash. This is why the camera's angle is high, it needs to be visible.
Both of you land on the island, in the centre of the star shape and hopefully with spray falling around you; look out at the ocean and that's the end of it.

Now watch me go completely wrong and lose horribly because I can't do contests.

A: Muddy Water / Poison Gas / AncientPower / Glare
B: Toxic / Sky Uppercut / Synthesis / Thunder Wave
Stage: Imperial Ruins
The remains of a large castle watch over the lands below from the top of a mountain, surrounded by a steep moat. The entrant can choose whether they want to begin from the area above the front wall, wherein archers would punish invaders before they could approach, or from inside the castle, in the extremely ample wall with several spires leading to the other rooms. Damaging the castle considerably will awaken the ghosts of the knights and kings, who will haunt the place. There's a natural lake outside the castle and an artificial one inside; both allow for Muddy Water's usage.
hmm, okay.
198.png

Cro <Super Luck> (m)
Toxic / Sky Uppercut / Synthesis / Thunder Wave

170.png

Xiaoyu <Volt Absorb> (f)
Muddy Water / Poison Gas / AncientPower / Glare

I'd like to do our appeal inside the castle, using the artificial lake. Xiaoyu should be in the lake, underwater, and Cro should be somewhere out of sight. Our aim is to awaken those ghosts and cause as much destruction as possible. Cro, you should let out a loud caw and make yourself known, fly over the lake and hover somewhere in the middle. Shriek and use Toxic, and spill it into the lake - when the poison enters the lake, Xiaoyu should surface somewhere nearby (try and stay out of sight, keep your lights off) and use Poison Gas. Try and spread it out over the lake and make it look cool. Cro, you should weave in and out through the gas and caw and stuff, make a big deal out of it.

Xiaoyu, go underwater and turn on your lights brightly (hopefully they'll shine through the murky Poison Gas and water) and make the water bubble and froth. Then, use Muddy Water to raise a tall column of, well, muddy water, and hold it in the air the best you can (you shouldn't have too much trouble, you're a water type). Cro, spiral around the column of water, eventually coming to rest somewhere near the top. Hover above the column and let out a Thunder Wave in all directions as brightly as you can (and caw loudly again).

Xiaoyu, this is your cue to let the Muddy Water fall and crash back into the lake - while this is happening, use AncientPower to rip up chunks of the floor and walls, and have them rise in a circle around Cro. Make as much destruction as possible and see if we can summon those ghosts. When the ghosts turn up, hopefully they'll take notice of you and come towards you - this is Cro's cue to end the appeal and fly towards the camera (don't hit it, just fly over it at the last second).

If the ghosts don't show up, Xiaoyu, let the AncientPower spin around Cro and crash upwards into the ceiling - Cro should fly up through the ceiling afterwards.

Last edited:
sreservoir:
Stage: Barren Glacier
A desolate, icy landscape extends to all sides, with a strong snowstorm blowing in the area (Hail is considered in effect unless another weather move is used), making it difficult to see. The only thing in the vicinty other than the white grounds and maybe an Ice-type Pokémon or other is an abandoned, rusty laboratory gathering snow. A mostly frozen lake will be added if a Pokémon sent out needs to be in water.

[Nenya] dragonair (f) <Shed Skin>

[Vilya] ralts (f) <Synchronize>

Nenya, to the bottom of the frozen lake immediately, and never mind the draconic dislike of cold -- you'll be warmer soon enough -- create a whirlpool around you; Vilya, you'll be sent out at the edge of the lake on the other side of the camera; face the camera and use tailwind to clear the snow enough so that the camera can actually see you; pass some of the wind (not that kind!) under you so you can sit in a monk-ish meditative pose.

Now, Nenya, keeping the whirlpool going, let those orbs on your tail glow for a bit with tail glow, so that anybody watching can tell that something big is about to happen; meanwhile, Vilya, use tailwind again to help the top of that whirlpool freeze, so we have a sort of inverted cone shape like an antlion's sand pit with Nenya at the bottom.

Meanwhile, Nenya, prepare an eruption; now, Vilya, get up suddenly and break ice at the top of the whirlpool -- make cracks instead of outright breaking it if you can; this is Nenya's cue to release a massive eruption to destroy as much of Iceland the area as possible. I hope your camera is flame-resistant.

About the gloomy metropole area, how large is the larger puddle? May I assume it is deep enough to conceal a small pokmon in or is it really just a puddle for water pokemon flopping?

Stage: Sandstorm Valley
A large chasm with several cliffsides along the steep sides. One of them is wide enough to be stepped on safely. Strong winds blow in the area, carrying sand with them (Sandstorm is considered in effect unless another weather move is used). A river will be added to the bottom if there is need for a water-dwelling Pokémon to make an appearance.

steelix
[Alphonse] Steelix (M)
Ability: Rock Head
Embargo / Softboiled / Assurance / Endeavor

katniss-taillow.png

[Katniss] Tailow (F)
Ability: Guts
Featherdance / Assurance / Tackle / SolarBeam

Let's begin with Alphonse buried in one of the cliff-sides, as hidden from view as possible. Katniss, I want you to flit around as best you can in the wind. Look wary and alert, like you know something's there, but you don't know where exactly.

As soon as Katniss nears Al's hiding place, I want him to burst from the rock face, maw open and roaring and being generally terrifying. Land on the ground near her, like you lunged for her but missed. Katniss should take to the air and be startled seeming. This is where the real fun begins.

Katniss, I want you to start off by first trying out a Featherdance, maybe try preforming it upwind from him so the feathers blow into his face. While he's shaking that off, charge at him with a Tackle, using the powerful wind to your advantage by letting it push you forward.

Alphonse, I want you to use Endeavor, trying your best to capture the little bird, though she avoids your attacks.

Katniss should finish up by blasting him with a Solarbeam; try to make it look as impressive as you can, despite the sandstorm weakening it. I want Alphonse to let off a roar and collapse, playing dead.

Katniss: Featherdance + Tackle ~ dodge ~ Solarbeam

Alphonse: burst out of cliff ~ Endeavour ~ play dead

ahaha this is never gunna work

..and pokemon don't have to use three moves, do they?

About the gloomy metropole area, how large is the larger puddle? May I assume it is deep enough to conceal a small pokmon in or is it really just a puddle for water pokemon flopping?
It's probably deep enough to conceal a small Pokémon, but it would take said Pokémon some effort to fit in entirely.

..and pokemon don't have to use three moves, do they?
Non-move commands are acceptable, yes.

Nuhhh I hope I'm not too late :U Though if I don't fail at counting a few others haven't submitted their appeals yet so hopefully I'm safe...?

Anyway, for the second round I'll use Khao and Yukianesa.

A: AncientPower / Curse / ExtremeSpeed / Sky Uppercut
B: Charge Beam / Fake Tears / Crabhammer / Skull Bash
Stage: Volcanic Mountains
A thin, unsafe, badly kept road weaves around several active, black volcanoes, close to their mouthes. The lava is visible; the smoke obscures the sky (rendering Sunny Day ineffective if used), but people traveling on the road are distanced from it enough to breathe properly. There is a hot spring in the vicinty for water-dwelling Pokémon and water-based attacks.

Yukianesa, position yourself so you're hovering a bit higher above the ground than usual, between two volcanoes in the background. Khao, you should be some distance away from Yukianesa, facing her, on all fours with your back facing the camera (something like this because I am fail with words).

Now then, let's show everyone that true fire isn't necessarily the best, and otherwordly fire can do just as well!

Khao, make your back fire as bright and powerful as possible, and make yourself look menacing. Growl and snarl at Yukianesa. Just do anything that looks intimidating. Yukianesa, though, should look smug and totally not-intimidated. After a moment, Yuki, raise your arms and use Ancientpower. Throw the flame-engulfed boulders at Khao, who should try to dodge them, but in the end it's to no avail as he's struck down by the last few. If it makes things easier, Yuki should intentionally skew her aim to make the dodging easier.

Now, Khao should sprawled on the floor, unable to get up. His fire should still be blazing relatively healthily, though, and his snarls should be undiminished. Looking unamused by his quickly-crumbling façade, Yukianesa will turn up the heat by engulfing both parties in ghostly fire with Curse. The fire around Yukianesa should fade within a few moments, but the fire around Khao should keep going. By now Khao's stamina is wearing down, and this should be reflected in his voice and his back fire. The former should sound weaker, pained, and less menacing, while the latter should flicker. The beginnings of Fake Tears should be pooling in his eyes.

Finally, Yukianesa, use Ancientpower. Focus on the ground around Khao, though, and don't tear the boulders from the earth. Instead, have them hovering just at the surface, so Khao is, ideally, surrounded by a ring of blue fire. Jack up the intensity of the Curse fire now, if possible. Now entirely engulfed in otherwordly fire, Khao should be struggling to hold on. His snarls should be pained and sound weaker (perhaps mix some whimpers into them?), and his fire should be flickering dangerously as he lets loose with a healthy dose of Fake Tears. Yukianesa should be laughing evilly as this goes on. Finally, Khao succumbs and collapses with a groan, his own natural fire snuffed out by that of angry spirits and ghosts.

Yukianesa: Ancientpower ~ Curse ~ Ancientpower

Khao: Snarl/Growl/Other Intimidating Noises ~ Beginnings of Fake Tears ~ Fake Tears

Back
Top Bottom