• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Open The Soul Guard

"...of course you have a Guardian. It had to be expected by how my luck is going. What with a FUCKING CRAZY OLD MAN ATTACKING ME!"

He takes in his surroundings, looking for something to help him fight the blood-wielding man man before him. He lets out a growl, pressing the heel of his palm to his temple as the Krow's laughter reached a deafening volume. "shutupshutupshutup oh god why won't you shut up and help me"

Oh shush pup. Do you really need my help against this big old meanie? Have some pride and attack. So what he has a arm covered in spikes and claws made of blood. You can take him. Your Father would.

"I'M NOT MY FATHER YOU CRAZY OLD BIRD!" he screams, pushing off the ground and darting toward the man before turning that run into a slide aimed at his ankles in hopes of knocking in off balance to buy time.

Jacen sighed slightly. "Finally. So I am going to go meet this Crotchkiss guy," said Jacen, moving to leave the camp. He knew to be cautious, so he keep the daggers concealed within the sleeves of the jacket. From all of his experience, Jacen knew that daggers draw less attetion than a blade with the power to knock down all the trees in a one-mile radius.

Smirking slightly as he recalled the power of his sword, the one given to him by his master at death.

"I am going to the driver," Jacen announced as he made off down the path after Cedrick, keeping the daggers ready.

The path was surprisingly quiet. The humans would wonder why there's a sword on his back, but as long as Palara doesn't interfere, he was sure thats the only attention needed. Palara is one of the quiet types. He would only come occasionly and rarely ever offered advice, so when Palara did surface, Jacen has learned that its a good idea to pay attention.

The girl he head tried to initiate conversation with before apologised and talked to him, and immediately Archie was buffeted with advice from a curiously eager Guardian, right inside his head. "It seems rather illogical that someone should not notice when another person, especially of the opposite sex-you being driven almost purely by sex-tries to talk to you. This is clearly an oversimplified version, she's most definitely trying to conceal something from you, and I think that it may be prudent for you to both not trust this individual and for you to-

She spaced out, Archie thought, annoyed. Stop talking.

As his irritation flourished, the leaves and debris shifted around him in a way that could have been the wind. Archie took a deep breath, trying to keep his emotions in check, and then turned his attention on the girl.

"That's fine, I'm always 'spacing out', as you put it, sometimes I'm thinking too loud to hear anything did you hear that?"

These last four words were spoken to the group at large. He raised a hand, as if this would somehow amplify the sound, and caught whispers of words on the wind, as if they came from far off. "I can hear voices, I think." He turned to Cedrick. "Are there any more of us out here that we should be aware of?"

Cedrick scoffed when the one-Archie, if he overheard correctly-tripped. Way to go, Slick. He heard the one called Jacen announced he was going to be the driver. "Somehow I don't think that's it. The council said our driver would be waiting. If you really want to drive, then go ahead. Have fun sitting in the chair and waiting for us to come back from our missions."

Archie spoke up again. Cedrick acknowledged him with a sharp nod. "I was wondering that myself. The council is fond of having scouts skulking these areas. Gives them plenty of warning to clear out of the camp." The trees were catching most of the sound, but there was clearly yelling going on.

"Maybe you should look. Couldn't hurt, could it? Well, unless it's a hostile person. Then you're probably doomed." Theseus laughed in Cedrick's head.

"Shut up." He whispered through gritted teeth. He looked back over at the others. "Let's go check it out. Just try to keep a little quieter until we have an idea of who it is." He looked directly at Archie, now. "And remember where your feet are this time."

Since you're still confused about your...uh, interests, what do you think of him? I'm not deciding for you, it is your choice on these things after all.

Ares had finally spoken to her, Skye was afraid he'd be silent again. Well...he seems nice enough. Not too crabby, like that one boy. But...I don't know. I don't wanna discuss this now, it'll distract me even more, and I'll seem rude. So just...be quiet for a while, please. She heard a chuckle then the words, As you wish, echo through her head. "I just get...really lost in my thoughts sometimes. I guess it's just since so much has happened..."

Archie then said something else directed towards the whole group, and she tilted her head slightly. She did hear something, but didn't know if it would affect them directly, until Cedrick said to head towards it. He even made a remark about Archie not tripping again. "He doesn't deserve to be pointed out more...," she said mostly to herself, but slightly louder than she wanted. "I bet you trip from time to time too..."

She glanced around quickly, embarrassed by her little outburst. The only one who could have heard her would be Archie...hopefully. She didn't want to make enemies before they even left. You should know better than that. If you keep getting outbursts like that, we're more than likely to have a few problems on our hands.

Cedrick sighed at the quiet girl defending Archie. Some people were just too easily upset by people of his temperment. At least he wasn't threatening them for every little thing. Rude was one thing, but he acted professionally enough. He didn't feel like answering her remark. Arguing was pointless.

He moved out in the direction of the commotion. It was pretty simple, really. He just made sure to keep to fallen logs, roots, thick and low branches, and any large rocks he could find. Once in a while, he had to step on the forest floor. He spotted what he figured was the source. A blue-coated man with a dumb hat, and another man with a bloody arm... No, that blood was swirling around. It was a weapon.

Then it wasn't blood at all. "A Guardian." Theseus mused. He gave an approving grunt. "It really does look just like blood. Very theatrical." Cedrick silently told his Guardian to be quiet. He sat with his back against the tree. These two looked a little bit... Provoked. Certainly in a worse mood than he was. With his hands folded together, he counted to ten a few times. He imagined what kind of burger he'd have next chance he got. About previous missions. It all raced through his head fairly fast. And he just sat behind his tree, thinking of all these things.

These two sounded like they both had knowledge of their Guardians. They had powerful ones, to boot. At least one of them did. The other's shouting simply implied he did. But he'd never seen them around camp before. Cedrick had been around long enough to where he'd at least seen everyone at least once. Even his team members now. But these two weren't in the Guard. They could be searching for it, though. Perhaps enemies, but that was unlikely with their Guardians. Guardians were demons to the Crown, and so all Adepts had a common enemy. Cedrick felt it would be wise to wait for a moment in his spot before halting the fight. Let them tire each other out just a bit first.

Jacven heard a fight going on around him. Enraged at the brief silence that he had, Jacen drew his sword.

Wait, Jacen a voice echoed in his mind and Jacen halted to a stop. Yes, you weakling, its I, Palara.

"And what do you want," Jacen called back.

Before you go rushing in unaware, you should understand who you are dealing with said Palara.

"And who is that exactly?" asked Jacen.

Its another guardian, answered Palara.

"And-" said Jacen. He continued going to the source of commotion.

Last edited:
Archie began to follow as Cedrick headed to check out the commotion he had heard, and blushed when he made some remark about not falling. He blushed harder when the girl, Skye, defended him in quiet, hushed tones. A sting of embarrassment coloured his cheeks, and not knowing how to respond, he didn't, and followed Cedrick silently to the source of the sounds.

The older boy kept chiefly off the forest floor when he could, sticking to fallen logs and large rocks, but such convoluted overcautiousness didn't appeal to him, and so he kept to treading lightly. Just to be sure, he had a conversation with Archimedes, who agreed that to be that careful was just foolishness.

And then, after a time, they found two people fighting. A youngish man and and an oldish man (relative to this group of young people, of course) were duking it out. Blood was gushing from one of their hands, and something in Archie spiked and he let out a gasp before he covered it up. A sharp gust of wind swept around his feet, tossing some leaves into the air. At least, he would say it was a sharp wind if anyone asked.

But back to the issue at hand, it turned out that observation would prove that this was not blood gushing, but blood flowing around the arm. A guardian.

"Shouldn't we get involved?" Archie whispered to Cedrick, who seemed like the leader of this group for whatever reason. Maybe his assertiveness? Didn't matter.

"They could hurt each other. Deal damage of a more permanent kind."

Edward growled and moved to advance on the young man, but was quickly startled by the leg-sweep, knocking him off-balance and falling to the ground. His Guardian, ever watchful, extended a bloody tentacle to support him, allowing him to correct his stance quickly, but losing time.

"I'm going to rip that coat off your back, thief!" He hissed, swinging his arm so a spray of ichor fell to the ground.

The mass around his arm dissipated, and the drops on the ground shivered and started to grow, quickly massing into a towering serpent of blood, a grown of dripping spines adorning her head and two black eyes shining against the red, four golden irises moving independently. She made a soft sound, like dripping liquid, as she opened her gaping, toothy maw, strings of blood snapping and stretching, forming sharp fangs.

((heeheeheee))

Rolling away after his last attack, he shifts back to his feet and readied another attack when the old man spoke to him. Wither i it was the words or the fact the Man's guardian had started to take on a frightening form, but he found himself frozen in place with his mind reeling over the events.

He thinks I'm a Thief...and wants my coat. Why in the name of all that is holy would he think--and why is his guardian made of blood. WHAT IS GOING ON KROW

He felt his knee buckle under him, looking at his soon to be executioner. He lets out a defiant growl at the man, his pale blue eyes glaring out from under his hat at him. "I'm not a Thief..."

Behind him a red aura glows, unaware of it himself but visible to those that are watching. The aura forms into a pair of wings then snakes further into a head of a bird-like creature. With a cocky smirk the Bird's eyes open, five sets of them, and giving Ed and the Dragon a wink before disappearing as soon as they appeared.

He continues to glare at Ed and waits for the old man's next move.

Cedrick stared at his thumb. He glanced at Archie, saying, "I was thinking we should wait just a little bit. I've got reason to think they're not from the Guard, so I figure we just let them tire each other out a bit before we step out." He picked up a rock and twirled it in his hands.

With another careful glance around the tree, he saw that it had escalated very quickly. Cedrick had no care for their reasons to fight-apparently the one with the hat was a theif-but he figured that with the manifestation of two Guardians, it was probably time to step in. "Stay here or do what I do, I don't care, but don't try to act like a hero or anything."

With that, Cedrick stood up, and walked out into the open. He wore the same expression he'd expect someone lost in the woods would have. "Wow!" He pointed to the Guardians. "That looks dangerous. Do the officials know you've got those demons? I hear they kill people for that kind of stuff. Oh, wait, is this something personal? You guys settling something? I'm sorry if I'm interrupting. I was just looking for a Ranger Station, or a rest stop..." He trailed off, pointing his fingers in random directions.

Archie had a strange urge to leave this hiding place and assist Cedrick, however he may have been able. Logically, this wasn't exactly sound-he had no real idea what the hell Cedrick was planning, and in the time it could take to logically deduce this the situation may have changed. Anyhow, Cedrick had said that he didn't need help, or at least he'd said that, and he did seem like the kind of guy to try and be heroic about it. He'd more likely mess up whatever plan Cedrick had here than help, or maybe his logical ability to deduce would end up being essential.

Or maybe he was royally overthinking things and it would be best to just jump in an improvise?

Not on his life. He stayed put, well-hidden in the trees.

Edward paused when he saw the boy's eyes. Familiar somehow... But still, he raised his hand to command his dripping crimson guardian, when he spotted the whispy aura starting to surround him. That could only be...

"Krow! What are you--" But he was cut off by his guardian's soft hiss, as she noted the intruder. The older man turned and narrowed his eyes, turning his back on the boy to face the newcomer.

"What do you want. Most younglings like you would be running away in fear by now. State your business before She rips your throat out," he hissed, motioning to the quivering blood serpent.

Cedrick smiled softly, laughing quietly while his hands came up in front of him. "Oh, no no no, sir, I'm not most, uh, younglings, and you and your... Drippy blood-thing isn't that intimidating." He glanced over at the blue-clad one. "Neither is that." He laughed. "But!" He clapped his hands together. "I doubt you find me intimidating, so I'll cut to the chase. You two were making a lot of noise, and my friends and I-we're all just leaving our camp-we couldn't help but come and investigate. They're all in the woods a bit, and Archie is somewhere behind one of these trees, but that doesn't matter.

"What does matter is that I think we could use your help in a little side-project of ours. While we're at it, you two can discuss, like civilized people, the ownership of that coat. Really, you two should consider the offer. Trust me." As the last two words passed over his lips, almost on cue, Theseus briefly pulled him in and out of Excess, and his eyes flashed ghostly blue for a moment before shifting back to their regular state.

Ally hummed to herself while they moved through the foliage, coming this close to skipping as well. But she retained enough of her composure to keep herself from making too much noise. Eventually, Cedrick and Archie heard something, and Ally's humming came to an abrupt stop. Her curiosity aroused, she stepped after the two young men, searching eagerly around trees for something.

She sat down on a fallen log with her knees tucked under her chin when they stopped. Cedrick seemed to have a plan for the two fighting. She listened while Cedrick BS'd a story, and one of the two strangers demanded more from him. Cedrick continued as though it didn't matter. He must have done this before, she thought, or at least have prepared for it. He's so much nicer when he's faking it.

"Come on!" She whispered to Vera. She had already decided that Vera was her new best friend, whether she wanted to be or not. She trotted out and stopped behind Cedrick, waving at the one with the adorable hat.

She managed to keep herself from speaking, since Cedrick had things apparently figured out, but when she forced back words, an awkward hum came out, and she just bounced slightly up and down, smiling at the two.

"You must be kidding if you think that would scare him with your eye flash there, bucko"

Tosh slowly got back to his feet, tucking his bangs back into his hat. He then gives a side-long glace to the new man on the scene, his own eyes flashing red and disappearing. "You are not the only one that can do that. But points for trying, Boy Scout...As for you, crazy old fart. This is my coat and you need to take a major chill pill" he mutters, brushing dust ff his coat, careful not to fray it too much. He pauses as he fingers the sleeve to make sure the fur wasn't coming apart, flashing back to his Father doing the very same thing.

"Dear Pup, you really are oblivious aren't you"

He mentally scolds her when what she said sunk in. What did that old man say before this new guy stepped in? He yelled something after pausing, something like a question...

His eyes widen when he figures out what the Old Man had said. He stares back at him, studying him more in detail now, as if trying to find out how this man could know the name of his blasted annoyance of a Guardian that would taunt him and compare him with his father.

"...how did you know her name. My guardian...how did...how could you know that."

Skye definitely did not want to be involved in this little feud. Let them handle this, it's not my fight... She inched back towards the trees, not wanting to attract attention but also wanting to just stay away from them. Cedrick was either being very foolish, or very brave. She just didn't want to be the one to judge that.

Hitting the leaves slightly and causing them to rustle, she flinched, looking up at the others in the clearing. They didn't seem to notice her...not like anyone did. Sighing inwardly, she moved faster, but more carefully. Moving more into the shadows she wondered in the back of her mind where Archie had went. He was really the only one who had noticed her even when she was spacing out.

Well, you're making progress..., her little voice said.

Oh just shush..

((Oi, let's get this moving again, shall we? Small time-skip involved.))

Cedrick sighed a little. This was tiresome. He didn't know how anyone could recruit on a daily basis. "Look, this is a very interesting conversation. Since you two have calmed down enough to think straight, why don't you finish it on the walk to the van? It isn't far, now. Or stay here and get angry again, and feel free to duke it out in the middle of nowhere until one of you is lying face-down in a pool of his own blood. But we're on a schedule, so if you'd actually like to accomplish something worth notice, I'd suggest tagging along."

He pushed a branch out of his way as he went back towards their meager little path. "Let's go. Archie, Skye, come on. Vera, wherever the hell you are, you too." He figured Ally was bubbly enough to follow without orders, kind of like a lost puppy. "If you two do decide to come, make sure you play nice." He said over his shoulder before taking the short trip back to the trail, this time with no more caution than when they first started.

It was only a few minutes before the ground flattened out suddenly and a gravel road was on either side of them. There was a half-rusted van, which probably used to be white, and a small camp next to it. A tent for two, maybe three people, and a makeshift fire-pit with coals still burning. Other than that, there were only two duffle bags near the back of the van. Cedrick was a little surprised when a teenage girl came striding around from the back of the van, humming to herself.

She was a bit surprised, too, but hers was of a giddy surprise rather than Cedrick's confused variety. "You're here!" She squealed. Immediately, there was a lound clang! and a groan from under the van. Out crawled a man who looked about in his forties, with a rounded belly and grey stubble. He rubbed his forehead where he must have hit his head. The girl was already rushing to pack up the camp, blubbering about them not being prepared enough.

The older man sighed, casting an apologetic look at the group. Turning his head to the girl, he said, "Baby, calm down. There's time to spare." This immediately caused the girl to fly into another stream of words, this time about how it was their job to be sure they were ready for their passengers.

Cedrick just stared blankly at them. He wasn't entirely sure what to think of the pair. "Daddy, can you get the bags? Oh, wait, I left my sunglassese in the tent! No, wait, I already packed the tent! I hope they don't break! I'm so sorry about this! By the way, I'm Jenna Puckett! Wait, where'd my yogurt go?" The girl seemed to never stop. Her father, still rubbing his head, grunted his name, Harry Puckett, at the group before finally helping his daughter with the bags.

"I'll explain everything to you guys in a minute. For now, just throw whatever you've got in the back." Harry told them, opening the door to the back of the van. He slid the duffle bags under some seats in the back.

Cedrick had apparently sat down at some point, so he stood up, and glanced into the back. Considering their circumstances, and the outward appearance of the van, this was luxury. About ten seats. Probably more like fifteen if you really squeezed in. Rails below the ceiling for any baggage they might have. A few pillows and light blankets stuffed into a corner. Most of the space in the front two had been repurposed so there'd be more room for whatever junk they had brought.

He didn't have anything to throw in, so he just watched as Jenna buzzed around, packing what little they had in what seemed to be the most innefficient manner possible.

((Sorry, no Crotchkiss.))

He stares at the old man for a good long while, barely listening to the Cedrick guy and his attempts to get them to stop their fighting long enough to get whatever job they wanted done. He just stared at him, waiting for the old fart to reveal what he knew, as if willing him to so that he might get a clue about this whole fight that happened.

He waited, but no answer was to come.

Finding no answers he turns from the old man and goes through the brush, following the group that apparently had been following the Cedrick brat through this godforsaken forest. Stewing as he walked, he nearly walked into one of them when they came to a stop and found a Father and Daughter in the midst of getting their gear together. There was a old beat up vehicle of some kind that apparently was waiting for the group. He looks up and starts to take stalk of what was going on.

These guys were going to do something either stupid, dangerous or both...I think i'll stick around for a little longer

"That's my boy~"

[Yoshi, please punch me through the Internet if I fail to post again. ;_;]

Vera had watched as Cedrick and the others negotiated with the two fighting in the forest, and was about to go with Ally as she urged her on, but her Guardian reasoned against it immediately. "Wait, and watch it play out," he answered monotonously when Vera questioned his intentions, "It's not your position to interrupt, regardless." And so, while Cedrick, whom apparently became the apparent leader of their little group talked with the two, one young and the other older, Vera stayed put by the tree trunk Ally was sitting on beforehand.

When Cedrick told the group they needed to move on, however, she literally jumped from the trunk and bounced after him, ready to see the real action start. Sure, seeing the Guardians of the two guys fighting was exciting, but it would be nothing compared to what lay ahead. She looked over her shoulder, expecting to see her new friend Ally, and gestured for her to catch up with her.

After a while, a rusted van came into view, and even more new people: an overly jittery girl, Jenna, and her calmer father, Harry. "Awww, no Crotchkiss!" Vera frowned, looking at the older man with a childish demeanor. "It's alright, though. You seem like an okay person, I guess."

Harry told the group to throw whatever they had in the back. Vera hadn't brought anything along, so she just lingered outside the van as the others put in their stuff, looking at the sky for a minute. She then looked down at Jenna, raising an eyebrow at her rather random packing style, but shrugged it off.

Back
Top Bottom