• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Spriter's Showcase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He uses the albums on this forum; He deletes the old one when he fixes it. He just hasn't posted it. Yet?

I edited it, so when I saved the new one, it deleted the old one. Shall I repost it there?

Edit: I meant where I posted it first

Last edited:
picture.php

My first D/Pish-style scratch trainer sprite ever.

Um...right.

The head seems to be facing left yet the jacket is facing forwards, and the pants are sort of halfway.

He seems to fat for the little head :)

I was bored and so decided to kill time by killing time: presenting my very first devamp!

picture.php

Yay...? Crits please, despite the fact that I know I'm no good at spriting.

Hi I usually don't sprite but I made a trainer sprite:
picture.php
What do you think?

Peter: THe outline on the wings are really blocky. Outline=always 1 pixel thick. You copy=flipped, so the shading is wierd too. And the face, try to define it more.

MurrMurr: Well, I don't do revamps and know nothing about them. Ask someone else.

..I am soooo not helpful... >_>

Yeah, so I've done some scratching...

Squittit43203.PNG
-->
Neemo12778.bmp

Squittit, the Sea Squirt Pokemon, evolves into Neemo, the Anemone pokemon

Male Combee -->
Polinator26389.PNG

Terminex, the killer bee pokemon

What do you guys think?

The devamp looks fine, devamps are like the easiest spriting styles evar.]

The devamp looks fine, devamps are like the easiest spriting styles evar.]

Not really. Recolors are. Also, with devamps, you can't just make everything 4 colors, you need to edit the shading and certain parts of the body to make it look like a good devamp.

to make it look like a good devamp.

Isn't that redundant

Okay, Zulo's male Combee. Kinda wobbly, you should probably straighten/fix the lines. The left(our left) arm is kinda deformed, and the stinger is.. bad. Doesn't look too attached, blah. And I know it isn't, but the outline looks next to all black. I can see a few differently coloured, but meh.

OK, I couldn't decide whether to make thst part th stinger's outline or the body's outline, but yeah, you're probably right. I'll try to fix those later.

CRITS. Yes.
picture.php

One of my major irks with this is that it's way too dark. The contrast between the three colours is insane, and makes the sprite really, really painful to look at (for me, at least). It's generally a better idea to use colours from actual g/s/c or yellow sprites instead of making your own, if you're unsure of how to get a good contrast.
Want to know something that annoys me to no end, but nobody seems to 'get it'? Devamps are not recolours, either. For example, take is r/b/y Skitty devamp I did a while ago:
2z50s9i.gif

Most r/b/y sprites are pretty light when it's trying to show a light colour, like yellow. You need to change the shading to look as if it were from the generation you're devamping to.
However, the main reason why Devamps =! Recolours is because of the outlines.
OUTLINES.
The outlines from before were really, really bad. So you should do the same, no? You're trying to make it look like it was from an older game, not some cheesy recolour.
Also, you've missed the darkest outlines on the right foot, tail, and ears.

picture.php

First, it looks like the head is missing a lot of outlines. It's really choppy. The outlines on the wings also look really choppy. How did you even manage to do that? It's something that confuses me a lot. The wings' colours are rather awkward, as the gray "markings" just look like splodges that you didn't recolour correctly. You have not recoloured the outlines of the wings, and you've copy flipped them (which is bad). You've got some weird holes in the colouring (under the arm) and the right shoe looks rather mutilated.

Squittit43203.PNG

It's blatantly obvious that you've used the circle tool to make the outlines, or that you've edited it. Never. Don't do it.
I'm also very confused at the angle. Am I looking at a wing and a tail? An arm and a leg? Where's the other leg?
The shading isn't very good, and the whole thing looks rather flat and bland.
The anatomy is weird. How can it stand? It looks way too fat.
The outlines have little colour. Again, this makes it look flaaat.

You have the same problems in the other sprites, too: Flat, weird anatomy, usage of the circle tool, and not-very-good outlines. They all look unbelievable and wobbly, not much like real pokemon sprites.
Practice makes perfect, so keep trying. Maybe with official pokemon and without the circle tool?

check it out my most recent spirite.
2.png

Well not realy I have this one but I made it for someone.
2-2.png

Are they good or are they good?

Why is the first in a rectangle? 80x80 or 64x64. The second one is pretty small too.. Okay the first thing. What's with it's head, is it supposed to be behind those leaves? That's a dust cloud or sand or something... it looks rough and copy-pasted. The leaf to the right(our right) isn't outlined, and there seems to be a black blob coming out of the back of the tree/flower.
The Celebi/Espeon, right? WHAT THE FREAK ARE ITS EARS DOING? And the eyes. Ack. The outline is almost all black... And it's undersized.

Keep practicing.

Can I get your views on my avatar pokesona and these guys. I know they are just standard recolours but i'm a new spriter.

143f13m.jpg
24pm7mb.png
30j711x.png

^ Too many black outlines. Make them a darker version of the fill, some black is okay, but not all.

Raikouluxray.png
What do you guys think of this? :D?

^Awesome, but there seems to be some sort of purplish blob on its neck. What is that?

The thing coming down? Well if you zoom in by copy/pasting into paint or something you'll see that that's the back leg~ But I see how it can be a purple blob from the tiny pic~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom