• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Twilight

So please, please, please, please, poliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice DON'T say...that...word ever again.

Twilight. >D>

I'm going to read it and see if it really holds up to the hate. It looked somewhat meh to me.

Also, why does Edward shine like disco balls?

...maybe because he's compensating for something else?

Also, why does Edward shine like disco balls?

She said that the entire series is based on a "dream" she had that is pretty much the scene where they just lay in a meadow for a few hours while Edward sparkles... maybe Smeyer was on something sparkly?

I guess I'd have more negative feelings towards Twilight if it were more popular over here... the only thing people really get worked up for is Harry Potter, which is pretty awesome, so that's okay. Hey, we're English. There are a few Twilight fans in my school, I guess.

I understand why Twilight would appeal to a teenage audience, but I always took from the books that Edward was perfect looking but to the extent that he was creepy, and his actor looks strange as well. So I don't get the ONG EDWARD SO HOOOOT!!11 BEST SERIEZ EVER fans at all... >_>

Seriously, they clearly went out of their way to get pretty people for the film, but they just ended up getting rather odd looking people. And then the Cullens did absolutely nothing except go to school dramatically and play baseball.

When I first read this series, I had a dream about it, and when I woke up, I said to myself "I'm going to read the Twilight series". So 2 months later, after every girl in my school yelled at me to read it, I did. I liked it. It was better to me than Harry Potter. Every time I finish a series, I feel sad, because now I have nothing to do with my life, but when I finished this series, I felt jealous, because to me, the ending was unfair. I loved these bokks, and whenever someone says these books are crappy, I die a little inside, because these books were the best ones I ever read in my life.

EDIT: To anyone who wants to know, on the Cave of Dragonflies Zodiac, Bella's birthday is Day of Pachirisu, Reign of Raikou, Season of Will.

Last edited:
I've never actually read the books, but I've seen the movie, and it actually wasn't that bad.

I read the first one, it was fine. It was the kind of book where it keeps you reading, but when I got to the end of it, it's not as if it suddenly became my favorite book ever. Really felt no need to read the second one though, because somehow I felt like I already knew everything that would happen over the course of the book just with my knowledge of the first one and the little blurb on the back of the book or wherever it was.

And sparkling vampires are stupid.

GLITTERY VEGETARIAN VAMPIRES: because mountain lions are now plants.

I loved these bokks, and whenever someone says these books are crappy, I die a little inside, because these books were the best ones I ever read in my life.

Please, read more books. You'll find hundreds better than Twilight.

The biggest problem I have with Twilight and its popularity is none of its fanbase seems to realize just how disgustingly sexist the whole thing is. The main character is clumsy, her intelligence is only implied through her love of classical literature, a trait that is itself only just implied (like a couple of token references to Bronte and whatever and completely missing the point of Romeo and Juliet, for instance), and once she meets Edward, well, goodbye all individuality and rational thought, like she had any to begin with. She never thinks or fends for herself. Hell, there's even a passage in New Moon after Edward leaves her where there are BLANK CHAPTERS because really life without Edward is just sooo meaningless. Now, it wouldn't be so bad if we weren't supposed to actually AGREE and SYMPATHIZE with her.

Not to mention the glorification of an extremely unhealthy, abusive relationship. Not only do Bella and Edward have no connection besides "YER HAWT", but Edward never listens to her and never lets her do anything he doesn't approve of, going so far as to REMOVE THE ENGINE FROM BELLA'S CAR SO SHE CAN'T SEE HER FRIENDS. Again, not so bad if it was just written in, but we are actually expected to AGREE with Edward because Bella's just a normal stupid woman hyooman and not a PERFECT SPARKLY ADONIS like Edward.

This isn't even going into the whole "imprinting" thing...*shudder*.

Yeah. Fuck Twilight.

Last edited:
Haha, seriously? I didn't think Stephenie Meyer would read good books.

I like to think of it as a sign that she realises how utterly fucked up the whole thing is. Except she probably doesn't.

My favorite thing about Stephenie Meyer is how she makes playlists for her books that look like they're straight off of some fourteen-year-old scene kid's iPod.

Come now, what about the Muse and the Placebo and the Patrick Wolf and the Radiohead?

I hate it when people go on and on about how 'vampires don't sparkle':
1) vampires don't exist

2) what exactly is wrong with a weird interpretation of a mythical creature? I realise it pretty much does serve to make Ed and the gang pretty but Rowling did this too; basilisks are supposed to die at the sight of their own reflection, and HP's basilisk does fine when in a water-filled dungeon. Instead, she leaves Potter to heroically stab it in the face. Sure, it's much less striking but she still messes with mythology to serve the plot (and this was a major gripe I had with chamber of secrets).
Even so, vulerability to sunlight only appeared at all in the 19th century or so in association with vampires.

3) there are more things to hate twilight about, honestly (lack of decent characterisation or writing, overly predictable plot, sexism, etc etc)

4) again this is such a minor problem in all of twilight I'm surprised it has become the tagline of anti-twilight groups.

5) Meyer also ignores/makes up a lot of other things, like Ed's eyes, Bella's 'scent', garlic, crosses, bats, etc.

I mean it already serves as a soap-opera that just caters towards the fourteen-year-old screaming generation and mothers that need a good romance; why does this incite particular outrage? There are thousands upon thousands of texts that describe vampires in a traditional sense - whotf cares if Meyer has done it wrong?

the worst thing I find about twilight is that it's in America of all places. o.O Why would vampires flock to one particular place in America where the sun is never out when they can go to most of Europe to do that?

Last edited:
As a rabid (and I mean RABID) Castlevania fan, I just can't stomach what this series did to vampires...Glitter? Really? Yeah, I'm pretty closed minded about this stuff.

I hate it when people go on and on about how 'vampires don't sparkle':

I think that garners a lot of hate because it's such an over-the-top, ridiculous thing that even a person who has no deep knowledge of what really makes the books bad (or anyone who hasn't read the books) can laugh at. For me, it's not so much that it's ruining the vampire mythos (which were never really consistent anyway) than just being stupid in general. It's hard to fetish-ize vampires, or anything for that matter, more than making them literally sparkle in the sun.

Even Meyer's explanation for the sparkles makes no sense. It's supposedly because their skin is similar in structure to diamonds (being nigh impenetrable, the sparkling...), but then how can any of the vampires move around at all? Diamonds may be hard, but they're not flexible. In that regard, they're actually very brittle. If she had just tried to stick to a supernatural approach, these questions wouldn't have to be asked, but since she tries to actually explain it...

Last edited:
I think the sparkling thing is the apex of absurdity so far as Twilight is concerned. The icing on the cake, if you will.

I kind of agree on the sparkling; people go on about how Twilight RUINED VAMPIRES FOREVER!!!1 but as far as I'm concerned, reinterpreting mythological creatures is fun. I like it when people do new things with my favorite mythological creatures (dragons) and wouldn't dream of being disappointed when fictional dragons don't hoard gold. I don't get why vampire fans are so dramatic about how OMG VAMPIRES AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THIS.

On the other hand, completely irrelevant of its lack of mythological basis, the sparkling is just rather silly. It's easy to make fun of because it feels ridiculous to say "sparkly vampires" even if you haven't read the book and have no idea what it's about.

Personally it's not the sparkling I give too much of a crap about. Who cares, y'know. (Although, it is quite over the top and stupid, 'specially cause she tried to explain it and failed miserably). It actually makes it easier to convince stupid people that it's real. At least, the stupid people I know.
Glitter spray + Inner-city type fantards who think they're hard and almost never go to school = Hilarity.

There's already the bad writing and the characterization, but what gets me the most is the fangirls oh god the fangirls and... and...
Yeah just that.

Fuck fuck fuck fuckity fuck Butterfree, I wanted to say the same thing first to prove how fancy and sophisticated I am, but damn. Actually, I should be mad at ultraviolet. :/

But really, out of all the things you can judge the book by, this definitely isn't one to count. It's a interpretation of how she wants the vampires to be, no problem really. Some people, like a lot of the people here, hate the idea of "vampire's sparkling in the sun", while others think it's kinda of cool. It's totally an opinion. If you don't like it, that's your problem, you can't downgrade the book because of it.

Back
Top Bottom