• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Twilight

I'm sorely tempted to take my BFF to see the movie this Christmas. Just to see what some of this fucking hype is about.

I'd read the books too just to know my facts incase I meet any dumb fans (plus train-wreck syndrome ;D) but ... Jesus Christ, no way am I spending money on them or getting them out from the library. Embarrassing much?! ;///;

Despite how sure I am that I'll dislike the movie and the book ... I'm almost afraid if I see the movie I'll like it. Even just a tiny bit.. D:

I'm slowly reading through it and even though I'm only on like page ten I'm starting to see where all this negative criticism comes from.
Bella is such a whiny bitch uggh. I feel sorry for her dad.

edward doesn't even suck any blood :( what kind of self-respecting vampire doesn't suck any blood :(

the sparklyboy thing bugs the hell out of me too
Count Orlok didn't sparkle

if Twilight was about a budding romance between Count Orlok and a teenage girl, maybe I'd have liked it more

Orlock.jpg

<3

These are all very relevant, too. Plus Cleolinda is amazing.

eta:

So, guys. You know how some people were calling Twilight "the next Harry Potter!" and so on? I give you Exhibit A: a screenshot of the amazon.com bestselling books page, a) a day before Breaking Dawn came out and b) twelve hours after The Tales of Beedle the Bard became available for pre-order with no previous announcements or advertisements about it:

AmazoncomBestsellers-073108b.png

Why, yes! The one hundred dollar special edition of The Tales of Beedle the Bard did sell more copies in twelve hours than Breaking Dawn did in the entire time it was available for pre-order. Seriously, this should go in the dictionary under 'owned'.

Last edited:
Dannichu said:
The funny thing here being that nobody'd let their 12-year-old kid read a book if the main male physically and sexually abused his girlfriend, but because it's all emotional, it's fine and dandy.

I don't really feel Edward physically and sexually abused his girlfriend, to be honest. The main storyline really isn't an abusive relationship. XD The first time they have sex, and Bella is bruised (but not actually in pain whatsoever for some reason) Edward pretty much blows his top and refuses to do it again. But Bella manages to persuade him because they'll know how to handle it better again. ...And now that I write it that sounds so hilarious, but still. XD

Oh, Cirrus, read my posts ):

It's not physical abuse, and that's my point. Because he doesn't hit her and rape her and things, people think the relationship isn't abusive, and it's scary how many people can't realize this. But it really, truly is. Many of the things Edward does are manipulative and controlling, which is the textbook definition of emotional abuse.

Here we go:

twilight.jpg

The above image consists of a passage from Jennifer Valenti's Brilliant Book "Full Frontal Feminism" pages 73-74, from Chapter Four entitled "The Blame (And Shame) Game."

She is discussing the tell-tale signs of an abusive partner and the ways they can abuse their partners even if they never lay a hand on them.

(from here)

In the absence of anything else sexist in the books (and there are plenty of other examples, like Bella doing all the chores in the house, the males in pretty much every relationship in the book dominating their female partners, etc.), I'd say they were absolutely terrible just for this. I'm not into book burning or what have you, but it's appalling how many teenage girls "want a boyfriend just like Edward!", and young girls are growing up with a book that teaches them to be subservient and allow - possibly even want - abuse of this degree on themselves and hold Bella as some kind of role model.

I say we make all the kids watch Buffy if they want a decent vampire-themed storyline :/

I say we make all the kids watch Buffy if they want a decent vampire-themed storyline :/

I still say we make them watch Nosferatu.

I still say we make people watch Buffy and then read Twilight if they want a surgery-free lobotomy.

Whatever happened to GOOD vampires novels, you know? Dracula, I Am Legend, Salem's Lot. The good shit! Hell, the concept of a benign vampire isn't even very original if you read I Am Legend. :|

So books are only good if they're the top seller? :P

I never said anything about quality. I thought it was quite clear I was talking about popularity, since comparing things to Harry Potter generally brings to mind the books' immense popularity.

From what I understand, the movie is better than the book because Robert Pattison makes Edward seem like an actual character. I should probably check it out; one of the conveniences of movies is that I can get the gist of a book that I dislike in 2 hours rather than a week (I read books I don't like rather slowly).

I still say we make them watch Nosferatu.

Personally, I'd have said Hellsing. Mostly because, even for all its over-the-top-ness, it's far closer to the vampire mythos than Twilight will ever be. That and Walter is a badass. :D;;

But yeah. Tried reading Twilight, got bored, set it down, picked up Hogfather and never looked back.

From what I understand, the movie is better than the book because Robert Pattison makes Edward seem like an actual character. I should probably check it out; one of the conveniences of movies is that I can get the gist of a book that I dislike in 2 hours rather than a week (I read books I don't like rather slowly).
yeah, that's because robert pattison hates edward just as much as any other normal person would.
he trolled the hell out of stephanie meyer too by leaking Morning Sun onto the internet.

The other day in my Spanish class, where girls outnumber the guys 24 to 6, 90% of the girls, which included my teacher:(, talked about the book for 10 minutes before we actually started the class. I actually did hit my head on my desk a few times.

twilightbg2.png

this is a pretty cool summary.

Also, in case you thought the horrible spawn story of the last novel couldn't get worse, Edward has to give Bella a cesarean with his teeth.

His teeth.

Obviously Bella couldn't get an abortion because Meyer's a Mormon but that's all kind of fucked up. Not counting the creepy paedo moments and the abuse and the impossibly retarded storyline uunnhgg some people are going to grow up on this book like harry potter, you know. and i'd rather have a whiny bitch than a whiny bitch with fucked up morals.

Looking at this topic... I'm guessing reading the books is not a good idea? xD

Though I'm still going to watch the film: Robert Pattison looks good in the advert. ;p
Has anyone watched the film yet by any chance?

Wtf is Morning Sun? (Fuck, please, PLEASE don't say it's a extension to Twilight series.)

Yeah, so I read the first book, Twilight, and though that it was a pretty decent book. Then, once I began to read New Moon, I realized that this book was utterly horrible. The writing's sloppy, and Bella is such a whinny slut. She ALWAYS thinks she's going to die. And all the books a rushed into being a shitty 'epic novel'. I think I'd rather period through my penis than read the last two books

Wtf is Morning Sun? (Fuck, please, PLEASE don't say it's a extension to Twilight series.)

Midnight Sun? It's Twilight from Edward's point of view. Apparently written because Robert Pattinson was like "he has no character how the fuck am I meant to act this". Then he got the first twelve chapters of it and they were leaked online. There is absolutely no connection between these two facts, really.

Back
Top Bottom