• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

University Applications

Of course the main problem for me with Cambridge is that I'll be part of the first generation to be affected by the new fees (Perhaps the first on tCoD, in fact! I don't recall many (active) British members in the same school year as me?) which makes things a threefold more difficult than were I a year earlier.

Anyway, yeah, college-wise, I'd looked at Trinity and thought it looked quite nice, yeah. I'll have to look at those others, too, though! Incidentally, is there any way of finding out which universities are the best for certain subjects?

Fees are going to be the same for you wherever you go, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's not like you're Scottish or Welsh, is it? (Unless you are: I don't remember) If I were you I'd just keep the whole tuition fees thing out of your mind until it comes time to, like, actually pay them.

Nah, I'm English sadly.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do; Problem is my family seem to not be able to quite realise that they won't matter until I've left uni and am earning however much money it is. So obviously my prime focus is on, you know, actually getting appropriate A-Level grades (Hopefully I should be alright in that respect since I'm predicted a(projected)n A* at A2 in French, which I imagine will come in handy for studying, well, French).

A-level French is easy anyway, you'll be fine! Yeah, the fees don't actually matter that much until you've graduated and you're earning money. You'll be able to receive a tuition fee loan to cover the cost of the fees, and how it's paid back acts more like a tax than a loan anyway.

Focus on your grades. I know this might sound really basic, but actually go to all of your lectures and do the work. I didn't, and I regret never going to chemistry (or, er, anything else).

Don't make my mistakes!

"Trinity and then, like, some others. Maybe. I'm at Trinity btw."

What about Jesus, Caius, Magdalene? I have the impression these are good.

It's not my fault if Trinity is the best college. :D

Caius is good! I am convinced Jesus and Magdalene don't actually exist because I haven't met anyone who goes to them.

Rasrap Smurf asked me to post here* that he's decided to go for either Bath (first) or Exeter (second). Yeah!

(*He couldn't post himself since he's currently banned himself from tCoD for revision.)

Currently applying for accommodation at Aberystwyth. :)

Well, they're sending me something by post. CAN'T WAIT.

So I want to study Linguistics and maybe history or International Relations or something so I thought Georgetown would be cool (and also it's in Washington D.C. which is awesome). I hear it's very selective but I think I can do it. I have a good GPA, good test scores, okay extracurriculars... I'm worried about my AS-level exams, though. :x (I am in the US; I'm in a program that uses the British curriculum)

Can you mention things you've taught yourself or do outside of school in your resumes? For example, I taught myself Russian to a decent level. I've taken piano classes for like three years already. Can you mention these sort of things or must they be associated with some organization? I've tried finding Russian certification exams but they're all in Russia, so... -3-

I'd think that those sorts of things would be exactly what they're looking for! It shows you have interests outside of school, and it also shows that you're dedicated and hard-working. I'd definitely mention it.

So I want to study Linguistics and maybe history or International Relations or something so I thought Georgetown would be cool (and also it's in Washington D.C. which is awesome). I hear it's very selective but I think I can do it. I have a good GPA, good test scores, okay extracurriculars... I'm worried about my AS-level exams, though. :x (I am in the US; I'm in a program that uses the British curriculum)

Can you mention things you've taught yourself or do outside of school in your resumes? For example, I taught myself Russian to a decent level. I've taken piano classes for like three years already. Can you mention these sort of things or must they be associated with some organization? I've tried finding Russian certification exams but they're all in Russia, so... -3-

Haha, wow, Georgetown! I've heard that's definitely pretty selective... that'd be so awesome if you got in, though! :D You can mention things you do outside of school on your applications, I'm pretty sure; I've downloaded a few forms to see what they look like, and I'm guessing that's what you might put under "Additional Details" or something of a similar name. I think.

Let's see though, as for me... ah, I know maybe it's too early for me to think about colleges, but whatever :B I'm applying to Georgetown, myself, though it's more of a "what if something crazy happens and I get in" kind of thing; I think my actual chances of getting in are rather low |D; I think I'll also apply to Villanova University and Xavier University; the former's not too far away from where my parents live, and oh my God both of their campuses they look amazing ;w; ;w; Applying to Seton Hall, but more as a safety net than anything; it looks alright, and I'm pretty certain I'd get in there, but my other choices are more appealing to me. Probably also Penn State - University Park, though that one's not too high on my list. Um... DePaul looks okay, and so does Loyola Maryland and Fordham. Definitely applying to Saint Joseph's University, too; we visited the campus for a tour, and I absolutely fell in love!

(Probably majoring in history, by the way; I want to teach that subject myself somewhere down the line. I'd minor in theology, because I love that subject, but fff I have no idea what I'd do with something like that later on |D;; Especially if I also want to be a certified teacher, yanno?)

Last edited:
The year where I actually start doing college applications and stuff, shoot shoot shoot.

Alright, so right now I'm looking into scholarships (and procrastinating my summer homework) and I'd like to know how people here have gotten financial aid to go to college and eat food and live in a room and such. I imagine I'll mostly get responses from Americans because you British people have your nice, cheaper colleges but seriously if you have any help I would totally appreciate it.

Parents? That's how I do it, along with govt aid. But I'm not American.

Then again my tuition is €1700 a year. Excluding books. Not exactly high...

Parents? That's how I do it, along with govt aid. But I'm not American.

Then again my tuition is €1700 a year. Excluding books. Not exactly high...
Lucky git. I have to pay £3370 plus books. And a new wardrobe.

I got a student loan to fund my undergrad degree, which covered all tuition and paid for living costs (up to a point), and I've finished with ~£10,000 debt that I don't have to pay back until I'm earning a whole bunch of money.

In the UK, you have to fund anything past an undergraduate degree yourself, but because I did well on my BA, my uni are very generously paying my entire tuition fees for an MA, and I'm relying on my parents/a (hopeful) part-time job for the living costs.

The year where I actually start doing college applications and stuff, shoot shoot shoot.

Alright, so right now I'm looking into scholarships (and procrastinating my summer homework) and I'd like to know how people here have gotten financial aid to go to college and eat food and live in a room and such. I imagine I'll mostly get responses from Americans because you British people have your nice, cheaper colleges but seriously if you have any help I would totally appreciate it.
The FAFSA (thats a word you are going to get tired of real quick) is required for almost all scholarships. After you fill that out (it is loooooooooooong, so do it on a day where you dont have anything else to do), then you can get federal loans, and then you send it to any colleges you have applied to. Also, if the app has an essay portion, EVEN IF IT IS OPTIONAL, do it. Make sure it is the best thing you have ever written. Have your English/ Language Arts teacher proofread it as well. I found it best to write a general essay in response to "Why are you a good candidate for our school?", usually the prompt in optional essays. (Although for optional essay sections, sometimes there is no prompt. At the college Im attending, someone wrote their essay about Chick-Fil-A, a KFC- like restaurant. They got in, and now we have the only Chick-Fil-A in Michigan.)

Might as well revive this thread, it's where most A-level stuff goes.

Tomorrow is results day for Brits. Are you guys expecting good news or bad?

I am simply dreading tomorrow. If I don't get a B in Drama, I am utterly and thoroughly boned.

Back
Top Bottom