• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

University Applications

Off to UWIC with a B in English Lit, a B in ICT and C in Philosophy & Ethics (though I was so happy with the A on my Ethics paper muahah)!

I've half decided that my results spelling BBC is an omen as to who I should work for. :p

Off to UWIC with a B in English Lit, a B in ICT and C in Philosophy & Ethics (though I was so happy with the A on my Ethics paper muahah)!

I've half decided that my results spelling BBC is an omen as to who I should work for. :p

Well done! What're you going to be studying at UWIC?

And YES. You should take over Doctor Who when Moff's done screwing with our heads :p

Got a BCC but still got into coventry. ^^ Quite happy but feeling bad about the deposit costs. D=

BUT I should be fine. I'm going in with sam. :3

Yaaaaay people attending Cardiff universitites!! What are you going to do there? Also, I was gutted that my results spell ABBC instead of ABBA D:

And Aberystweth has a beach! I don't fancy swimming in the Bay, much.

I'm doing English and Creative Writing (a BA! What do you do with a BA in English?)

You should take over Doctor Who when Moff's done screwing with our heads :p

The post-Moffat Who: confusing everyone with deceptively simple storylines. 'There must be a hidden meaning/secret revelation/general gobsmacking something-or-other in here, there must!'

The Bay's not... it's not... that bad. Nah, it's ridiculously cold there no matter the weather. ;; You'll enjoy Cardiff! It's fun. :D

woop I'm applying for uni again this year (2012 entry I mean)
because basically I'm too overqualified for college courses and everywhere has told me that going for a degree is my best option. especially as most IT jobs are graduate jobs

but it will be very different to the last time I applied because
a) no waiting on stupid a-level results
b) school is not forcing me to decide the next few years of my future within a few weeks
c) I've actually put some thought in what I want to do with myself and not just chosen a subject which I have "good" qualifications in
FEELS GOOD MAN.

by September 2012, I should have a driving license as well as certain other things so I'd be able to deal with the whole uni experience a lot better this time.
and I know not to ever live in dorms again... I'm only applying to two unis this time and one of my friends will soon be living in the same city as one of them (Leeds) so if I decide to go there, I could live with her and everything would be awesome.

And the Bay has TORCHWOOD!

Hope everything goes well for you, Jolty. Leeds is a fantastic city and univeristy - what's the other one you're applying to?

Hope everything goes well for you, Jolty. Leeds is a fantastic city and univeristy - what's the other one you're applying to?
I love Leeds ;_; haven't been there in like 2 years

and the other one is Liverpool John Moores
I wanted to apply there last time but we couldn't go to any of the open days because "Liverpool is too annoying to drive to from here"
but that won't be a problem when I can drive myself hooargh

Yes it does. The water tower's been renamed (for us fans anyway) as Torchwood Tower. Ianto's memorial is still there too.

Cardiff's fun with friends, plus it's a nice place to shop.

Anything you fuckin want.
as long as you do a hell of a lot of work experience and networking.

most humanities degrees are useful insofar as they show that you have the ability to apply yourself to a task, which is why they've become (rather unfairly, I should add) a prerequisite for almost all non-menial jobs. other than that, they don't have an obvious and direct career path in the same way that a biology degree might pave the way into a biotech career.

I'm not saying people shouldn't do humanities degrees fullstop - I'm off to study History after all - but people should be realistic about the job prospects that their degree entails.

as for Kinova's original question
I'm doing English and Creative Writing (a BA! What do you do with a BA in English?)
publishing's a fairly good idea. if you can get an IT qualification on the side, even better because the publishing houses are now having to deal with the oncoming tide of the internet. working in theatres, not neccessarily in a performance role but in administration. stuff where English is relevant in a tangential way.

journalism's another option, though the competition is fierce and the pay isn't great at entry level. that's where networking comes into play - make sure you get to know people. always be alert for oppurtunities.

as far as writing for a living is concerned, you need a 'day job' unless you become incredibly succesful. I doubt you'll find many authors who started out soley writing unless they've inherited wealth, are married to someone wealthy, or are dirt poor and barely scraping by.

Congrats to everyone! Hope you all have an awesome time.

I feel left out now with everyone going to Cardiff and me going into Aber. :(

Aber was one of my choices and I would have been very happy to go there. :D Good luck! Lovely place with some lovely people, from what I saw. (Damn cold, though.)

as long as you do a hell of a lot of work experience and networking.

most humanities degrees are useful insofar as they show that you have the ability to apply yourself to a task, which is why they've become (rather unfairly, I should add) a prerequisite for almost all non-menial jobs. other than that, they don't have an obvious and direct career path in the same way that a biology degree might pave the way into a biotech career.

I'm not saying people shouldn't do humanities degrees fullstop - I'm off to study History after all - but people should be realistic about the job prospects that their degree entails.

Well, duh. I wasn't being entirely serious ?_?

Pretty awful AS-level results but everyone else in my school did comparatively worse so...

A* in Spanish
A in English Language
B in English Literature (what is this craaaaap)
B in History (;-;)
B in Thinking Skills
E in Chemistry (waaat. ;-; One of 13 people to pass.)
E in Math (I expected to fail this so its not as bad as it seems. One of six people who passed the exam.)
E in A-level Econ (one of five people to pass.)

Not as good as last year but considering my situation and the fact I barely studied it is not that bad! And AS-level results do not really matter to the Unis I want to go to so :P I am only taking one A-level next year because my school did not expect anyone to pass Math so Further Math is basically canceled. :c

And prospective Universities-to-apply-to list:
Georgetown
Brown
Yale
Harvard
Cambridge (lol yeah right, not with those results :c)

University of Pennsylvania

University of Florida
University of Miami
Florida International University

Ranked from the ones I want to get into to back-up ones. I have heard that it is not good to spend lots of money getting a bachelors degree so I thought perhaps I could go to one of my cheaper schools and then when I aim for my doctorate transfer to one of the better schools. I kind of hope to work in academia because I love my subjects (linguistics and psychology, fff. History and English used to be my thang but I realized I am more of a social science person. I still love 'em both, though~!)

Aaa, I am worried. :c But everyone here has assured me I will basically have a good time no matter where I go, so I am slightly less worried. c: You people are my inspiration.

Pretty awful AS-level results but everyone else in my school did comparatively worse so...

A* in Spanish
A in English Language
B in English Literature (what is this craaaaap)
B in History (;-;)
B in Thinking Skills
E in Chemistry (waaat. ;-; One of 13 people to pass.)
E in Math (I expected to fail this so its not as bad as it seems. One of six people who passed the exam.)
E in A-level Econ (one of five people to pass.)

Not as good as last year but considering my situation and the fact I barely studied it is not that bad!
you have eight ASes
EIGHT. I don't even know how that's possible and if you got an A* (or even an A) you lose the ability to say you have awful results ok

And prospective Universities-to-apply-to list:
Georgetown
Brown
Yale
Harvard
Cambridge (lol yeah right, not with those results :c)

University of Pennsylvania

University of Florida
University of Miami
Florida International University
...dude how much money do you even have ;_;

Back
Top Bottom