• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Website Pet Hates

Lorem Ipsum

Pronoun
x
What really ticks you off when you go to see a website? Is there a particular thing that everybody gets wrong?

Tell us about it here. Whether it's that one tiny punctuation error, or terrible colour schemes, I want to know.

---

For me, websites using odd characters, like substituting the proper alphabet letters like 'd' and 's' for the Greek Delta and Sigma.

--

Most of the stuff has been summarised in this thread. Feel free to post anything else, though.

Last edited:
People who have a site just for the sake of having a site.

I mean, come on. If you have nothing to say, who the hell cares?

Oh god, that cursor stuff xD

I know it isn't usually the Website owner's fault, but those flash ads with audio is just freaking annoying. I've even had those flash ads that stay in the way as you scroll down, and take forever to show that 'cancel' button.

I know it isn't usually the Website owner's fault, but those flash ads with audio is just freaking annoying. I've even had those flash ads that stay in the way as you scroll down, and take forever to show that 'cancel' button.

They put those on Bulbapedia, and positioned them so they were exactly where your mouse hovers over when you go to the Address Bar. ._. I got them to move them to a different place though. >D

Pet hates: Misspelt words (ironic considering that I often manage to make typos when I type -_-), improper grammar/punctuation, nonstandard cursors (including those shitty things that follow you round), shouty adverts and the whatnot.

I don't like really bright, eye hurting colours, when the text blends into the background and you have to squint your eyes to see it, idiotic cursors, when the webmaster starts inserting random Japanese words into their text, when the website takes FOREVER to load on my browser, and big flashing ads all over the place which one might accidentally click.

Extraneous javascript or flash, like stupid snow effects and the like... if the site is not coded to work without javascript or flash then it's even worse (excepting sites that obviously have to rely on flash for good reason, like Newgrounds or Homestar Runner or the like)

The marquee and the blink tags - you should be damned to Hell if you use these in any serious project

Sites that try to make me get Firefox (I use Opera most of the time, got a problem with it? Tough) and/or do not even attempt to be cross-browser (yeah, so some advanced techniques obviously fail in IE6 or 7 but to force people to use a different browser simply for that is lame)

"Don't Click Here" links. I actually don't click them.

Background images and sound effects. I do NOT want to hear music unless I play it, and roughly 75% of the time the site would look better without the background image.

Forums - I don't like forums that imitate a more popular one, either if just to get more visitors or just because the owner can't think for themselves how to order and name their categories and member ranks. I also don't like "First X people to join get moderator", that actually makes me not join

Oh and, last but certainly not least, unoriginal content. Even if the original source is credited. It is YOUR SITE, it should have YOUR STUFF on it - this is why I find the great majority of pokemon fansites detestable, they're just rehashed game guides along with information that probably originated, verbatim or otherwise, from a more popular fansite.

One minor thing that irks me (but that I don't really hate), though: Site names in the form of (pokemon)'s (place), where (pokemon) is usually a legendary and (place) is either a generic landscape like island, forest, or lake or "Place" or "Page".

Everything mentioned above, pretty much.

This is a more minor thing and would probably fall under the heading of "spelling/grammatical errors" anyway, but it drives me absolutely crazy when people list "You must have good spelling and grammer!" as one of their affy requirements. Moron. If you can't spell "grammar" properly--in your own affiliate requirements, even!--then why the hell do I have to be able to spell?

I think my most major pet peeve, i.e. something that annoys me personally even if it's not that bad in itself, is generic game information pages. You know, those pages that say something like this:

Pokémon Diamond and Pearl

Pokémon Diamond and Pearl are the newest generation of Pokémon on the Nintendo DS console, featuring over 100 new Pokémon, a brand-new region named Sinnoh and the villainous Team Galactic that are trying to capture the legendary Pokémon Dialga and Palkia.

Diamond and Pearl added a number of Wi-Fi features to the game, allowing the player to battle or trade with their friends online and use the Global Trade Center to get the Pokémon they're looking for. It also features a new location called the Underground in which various items can be obtained by digging them out of the walls. Another change is that attacks can now be physical or special depending on the attack instead of on the type like it used to be.

Why do they annoy me so much? Because they achingly reveal just how little you honestly have to say about Diamond and Pearl. Why is that page even there? Is anybody ever going to be looking for that information? Is anybody ever going to read that section and not know that stuff already? Couldn't you at least say there are 107 new Pokémon, not "over 100" (that wording is one of my greatest pet peeves ever, seriously)? I don't want to read a section that reads like the back of the game box except not as well written.

Hmm, I agree with you there, Butterfree. Even if it does take a lot of hard work to do, people should try hard.

I've spent the past week compiling information about key areas in Kanto, and then writing little paragraphs summarising their importance. I haven't even reached Fuchsia City yet.

Also, on the browser thing, I get tired of some people who use Firefox and think that anyone who uses IE is an idiot. People who aren't webmasters(which is most of the internet user base)couldn't care less about IE's bugs and glitches. Why should they use a different browser to make your life easier?
You are ignorant and very, very spoiled. Just so you know. :)

"Why should I care about the people that make my internet?"

Why should they use a different browser to make your life easier?
Why should anyone feel entitled that they need special treatment just because they're too stubborn to use something that works?

fixed width, pointless javascript that then says "your browser DOES NOT SUPPORT j-script, so f off/get IE6(link)" because of noscript, rather than even an 'script failed'

also people like Kahlen, who don't understand that pretty much every browser is better than IE, and their features - such as being able to parse the /entire language that makes up the pages you see/, something that IE still fails to manage.

affiliate rankings, tables, crappy html, terrible colors, shit flying around the mouse, javascript needed to access the menus AND sitemap, sites that pleed you click their ads so the owner gets a bit of funding, ENTIRE SITE DONE IN FLASH FOR NO REASON, blah blah I can go on about this for a while

Seeing a site with stuff that I could see at a thousand different sites and the sites that update once every two years. Seriously I do not go to sites to see a do not click page or one that has been seemingly abandoned.

Because it makes their life easier, too?

Not trying to sound like an asshole here, but it really can't be that much of a hassle to gracefully degrade to support older browsers that (sadly) most people still use.

Yeah, it would be great if IE6 was anywhere near as good as Opera or Firefox... well, IE8 (which I believe passes acid2) is certainly getting there, so anyone who uses IE should (imo) at least upgrade if they don't want to switch to another browser.

I think my most major pet peeve, i.e. something that annoys me personally even if it's not that bad in itself, is generic game information pages. You know, those pages that say something like this:

Why do they annoy me so much? Because they achingly reveal just how little you honestly have to say about Diamond and Pearl. Why is that page even there? Is anybody ever going to be looking for that information? Is anybody ever going to read that section and not know that stuff already? Couldn't you at least say there are 107 new Pokémon, not "over 100" (that wording is one of my greatest pet peeves ever, seriously)? I don't want to read a section that reads like the back of the game box except not as well written.

I try my best to crush my brain trying to think up something worth saying, though I sometimes just prefer to leave the page empty and just leave it as a portal page instead with the box art/logos. But if that's how you feel about that matter, OK. I can agree even if I am somewhat a culprit. ;~;

3-Column Layouts. I can't stand this type of structure. Its as if they can't find any better way to set-up their navigation. Oh my god, I swear that a certain Pokésite says that his users can get to pages in two clicks. No lie, srsly.

Back
Top Bottom