• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading? II

Got bored and decided to read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green again. I have so many feels for this book ugh

But n Ben A-Go-Go, Matthew Fitt!

It's wonderful. And written entirely in Scots. :o)

I just finished Fire by Kristin Cashore. I didn't think I would like it as much as I liked Graceling, but I like it just as much if not more. I'm eager to read Bitterblue now.

I'm also reading So Silver Bright by Lisa Mantchev and Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. The latter I have high expectations for; I am a huge fan of Laini Taylor's stories.

I'm excited to finally get some books read this summer! I haven't had much time to during the school year.

Just finished reading that Spiderman thing where he dies. I enjoyed myself!

Also A Raisin in the Sun for English. Quite enjoyable; I was Walter in Act 2 and I got to shout a curse word today! =3D

Snare, by Katherine Kerr
Kraken, by China Mieville
Guns, Germs, and Steel, by Jared Diamond
The Scientific Revolution, by Steven Shapin

In ascending order of how much I can justifiably call them revision. :D

The carnival by Dean Koontz.

And of course the villain is a satanist. Again. Actually, he's literally identical to the villain in Hideaway, where he tries to please Satan by being a murderous asshole so he can earn his place in hell and blah blah he's evil.

If I played a Dean Koontz drinking game where I took a shot every time he wrote a book with a villain who's a satanist or some murderous asshole with a nonsensically cynical world view I'd be dead of alcohol poisoning. And yet I still read him!!! I just like gettin' mad at literature I guess.

Last edited:
I'm currently almost done reading Whipping Girl by Julia Serano after many other trans women recommended it to me, and I must say it's an excellent book about gender, femininity, trans feminism and discrimination against transsexual people. Cis people might find its tone too harsh and irritating how brutally honest and radical it is, but that's the way it needs to be to get its points across, and I think it should be a must-read for all feminists and trans women.

I was also rec'd My Husband Betty by Helen Boyd and Gender Trouble by Judith Butler, haven't got around to them yet. Any other books about gender and trans issues that people have read that they think are worth reading?

Fair warning: Judith Butler is incredibly, incredibly difficult to read.
Could you elaborate re: difficulty? I used bits of Gender Trouble in a paper recently and found it information-dense, but not confusing, and hearing this has me wondering if I was somehow managing to read it superficially.

I've been reading a lot of Amélie Nothomb lately. In the original French, of course.

Currently, I am working my way through Stupeur et Tremblements, in addition to which I have finished Antéchrista and Hygiène de l'Assassin.

Back
Top Bottom