• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished Saga by Conor Kostick....er...it was epic. (you'd get the joke if you had read the first book in the series)

The Muse That Sings by Ann McCutchan. It's a bunch of interviews with modern day composers. Very interesting, but I need to finish it so I can give back to my clarinet teacher.
Coming of Age in Mississippi Anne Moody. It's an autobiography and I'm reading it for preparation of AP US History which I am taking online because my school only offers one AP class that I took last year.
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. I'm reading this sort of casually. The only reason I decided to reread it because I identify with Elinor.
Ophelia by Lisa Klein. Another book I'm only reading casually. It's Hamlet told for Ophelia's perception, basically.
Paper Towns by John Green. One of my favorite books and one I never get tired of reading. Trying to analyze it without it becoming like school.

Apparently, I can't read one book at a time. I have to read five.

Last edited:
After not reading for ages I got inspired or something and zipped through Amélie Nothomb's Acide Sulfurique, Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy and Michael Moore's Stupid White Men.
All were enjoyable.

Wicked by Gregory Maguire. It's amusing so far.
Whoo!

Michael Moore's Stupid White Men.
Double whoo!

I'm partway through World War Z by Max Brooks and am enjoying it muchly. I reread The Zombie Survival Guide the other week (fun fact: reading it at Victoria Coach Station gets you some odd looks) and decided to get his other book. Also, the endorsement by Simon Pegg on the front amuses me way more than it should.

It's part of a collection, which is nice -- the title page says it's 'translated from the French, with an introduction and notes, by Roger Pearson' so...
I read the same translation a couple of years ago. When you've read it, post here what you thought, perhaps? It's a pretty silly book.

Pfft I just started reading it and it's quite possibly the most hilarious book I've ever read, purely for the factor of 'this was written in 1700s' the humor is great. I think it might be partially due to the recentness of the translation but heck if I care, it's hilarious.

Pfft I just started reading it and it's quite possibly the most hilarious book I've ever read, purely for the factor of 'this was written in 1700s' the humor is great. I think it might be partially due to the recentness of the translation but heck if I care, it's hilarious.
The eighteenth century is pretty good for humor and silliness. I haven't read all the books in question, but there's certainly a lot of them, in English as well as French, not least Swift's.

Last edited:
Just finished Candide. It was pretty cute and abstract and heheh.

I've a long list of classics to go through though ... where should I go next. Hm.

Just finished Candide. It was pretty cute and abstract and heheh.

I've a long list of classics to go through though ... where should I go next. Hm.
Well, it depends on what sort you like.

Random number generator led me to I, Claudius and Sister Carrie. I started the former and very much enjoy it.

Why would you choose them that way?

I created for myself a list of books to read, so I know I'll probably enjoy all of them. I don't have any specific preference, given I've never read them, so I'm just going to go through them at random.

Of course, it also helps that the school library only has probably five of them. ffff. They have nothing by Kafka, would you believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom