• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Why do people think that everyone wants to be "cool"

It would be really shallow not to respect someone because they wear a different a clothes brand. That's really not what happens. It's just a matter of it being generally a better idea to wear what most people prefer, not that it bothers anyone if you don't.

All you conformists are building a hopelessly flimsy argument. I can barely work out what you're trying to say. But, really, what is there to say? Your argument, whatever it is, is built on the ground that people should make up false personalities for themselves so that they can grovel to people who care about blue shirts. I daresay you had to get rid of your spines to become so shallow.

I mean, I quite understand if someone is too embarrassed or timid to be himself. But you should be cheering him on, not cheering his timidity.

Last edited:
All you conformists are building a hopelessly flimsy argument. I can barely work out what you're trying to say. But, really, what is there to say? Your argument, whatever it is, is built on the ground that people should make up false personalities for themselves so that they can grovel to people who care about blue shirts. I daresay you had to get rid of your spines to become so shallow.
I am no conformist >( I do what it takes to make my experience in middle and high school a good one, and go no further than that.

Believe me, I used to think the exact same way that Furretsu, Vyraura, and most people in this thread do. I was miserable during that time. I had only one or two real friends, the others I mostly clung to out of necessity. It was not a happy time. Eventualy, I realized that I was being an idiot, and now I'm relatively popular, I have lots of friends, and I am generally happy. "Conforming," if you want to call it that, has made me a happy person. If I had kept being a stubborn fool and refusing to "conform", I would probably still be wallowing in self-pity to this very day.

Perhaps it was mainly my personality that changed from those unhappy days to today. I was kind of obnoxious back then, and now I'm only slightly irritating. It seems in my school that personality is the deciding factor in whether you're a popular or not; the nerdz tend to be obnoxious and over-enthusiastic while the kool kidz tend to be confident and occasionally arrogant. But I'm not going to lie, my style of clothing has also changed, what I tell and don't tell people about my life has changed (for example, there's no way I'm going to tell anyone irl I'm planning on doing NaNoWriMo in a month and a half) and how enthusiastic I appear to be about school has changed. The second one is the only one that actually is harmful, and even then it's a small price to pay.

It seems to me that those who say "fuck the system" are ultimately hypocrites, who, given the chance to be popular, would take it without question. They all seem to be bitter nerds who are angsty about how they drew the short straw in life. But why should I care? You can all keep ranting about how unfair society is, while I'll just enjoy my life as it is. Okay?

(also, I'm pretty sure that everyone has at least bit of a false personality, or people would pick their nose in public, and tell each other about how much they love masturbating. just sayin')

basing who you are on what everyone else does is shallow as fuck, whether you are trying to mimic them or oppose them

enjoy your hollow social web, zeta; I hope all the people who like who you pretend to be keep you entertained. maybe someday you will actually find out what friends are.

And I, Mr Zeta Reticuli, am perfectly happy, and I did not conform to anything at all!

Paradox? No. I know who I am, I'm happy for it, and everyone who disagrees with that and dislikes it can fuck off.

I don't care about being "cool." If I am Altmer, ergo myself, there's bound to be people that like that and dislike that. I don't care about the people that dislike that because liking individuality and being yourself should be a sensible thing. If you do like me, well, more power to you and I might actually like you too!

People who are shy just look like they're stuck-up, so you just need to gain some natural confidence -- I DID THIS.
please tell me how

Anyway uh what I wanted to say has been pretty much said already
Both people who are all about the trends and people who are all about doing the opposite just because, are really irritating :|

Myself, I don't think I'm either a conformist or a non-conformist... If I think something is rad I will like it and not care what people think

If you can't tell your friends about something you're interested in doing out of fear of them thinking it's stupid and being friends with you anymore, then I'm seriously questioning why you're even friends in the first place. I tell mine about shit like NaNoWriMo a lot of the time, and although they think I'm a bit nerdy they like me for it anyway. P:

Being popular is not about having a metric fuckton of friends, it's about having people you can be close to and act like total fucking dorks together because you don't care how other people think.

I don't know! Maybe I just think that because I have a lot of friends! And I'm not immediately obnoxious and annoying! But it is true!

And I, Mr Zeta Reticuli, am perfectly happy, and I did not conform to anything at all!

Paradox? No. I know who I am, I'm happy for it, and everyone who disagrees with that and dislikes it can fuck off.

I don't care about being "cool." If I am Altmer, ergo myself, there's bound to be people that like that and dislike that. I don't care about the people that dislike that because liking individuality and being yourself should be a sensible thing. If you do like me, well, more power to you and I might actually like you too!

replace my name in there and you have it

(also, I'm pretty sure that everyone has at least bit of a false personality, or people would pick their nose in public, and tell each other about how much they love masturbating. just sayin')
No, that's common decency. It's not the same thing as pretending to be someone you're not.

Yeah um it's not a case of "if you don't wear this nobody will like you"
more "people like this brand, if you don't think it's bad, why not wear it?"

Man. I tell my friends when I'm doing NaNoWriMo, they don't care because they're my friends; yet I still wear the "cooler" clothes brands. Call it conforming if you will, but my personality doesn't change when I'm with my friends, and when someone calls someone else cool, they do mean "acceptable" and not "someone else who wears these awesome brands and thus is one of the only people who can be my friend". I do have a couple of "friends" who are shallow and judgemental like everyone here seems to think anyone who wears specific clothes brands are, but I'm not really their friends any more, because they're the more pathetic people, and I hardly think they approve of my geeky attitudes anyway :]

(actually what Tailsy posted sounds about right)

If you can't tell your friends about something you're interested in doing out of fear of them thinking it's stupid and being friends with you anymore, then I'm seriously questioning why you're even friends in the first place. I tell mine about shit like NaNoWriMo a lot of the time, and although they think I'm a bit nerdy they like me for it anyway. P:
Oh, I tell my friends about my interests alright. But there are other things that I don't tell them out of fear that they'll hate me, and if that makes them false friends - well, they're better than having no friends at all and being universally feared/hated.

Zeta, I wonder, what exactly did you change about yourself?

Oh, I tell my friends about my interests alright. But there are other things that I don't tell them out of fear that they'll hate me, and if that makes them false friends - well, they're better than having no friends at all and being universally feared/hated.

Interests =/= telling people things regarded as disturbing by the general populace

It falls under common decency.

Zeta, I wonder, what exactly did you change about yourself?
Perhaps it was mainly my personality that changed from those unhappy days to today. I was kind of obnoxious back then, and now I'm only slightly irritating. It seems in my school that personality is the deciding factor in whether you're a popular or not; the nerdz tend to be obnoxious and over-enthusiastic while the kool kidz tend to be confident and occasionally arrogant. But I'm not going to lie, my style of clothing has also changed, what I tell and don't tell people about my life has changed (for example, there's no way I'm going to tell anyone irl I'm planning on doing NaNoWriMo in a month and a half) and how enthusiastic I appear to be about school has changed. The second one is the only one that actually is harmful, and even then it's a small price to pay.

(if that's tl;dr, it's mostly my personality)

Back
Top Bottom