• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Working on veekun, need opinions

Which sounds most like specifically the ±6-stage things?

• Total voters

Zhorken

groove out!
Pronoun
they or she
A lot of veekun's effect descriptions (mainly for moves and items) haven't been touched in ages, so not only are they outdated, but they're not written consistently in spots. With B/W 2 coming out in Japan in a month, I figured, hey, I should totally overhaul all the words. Ability effects are already mine so why not.

Anyway, we need a consistent term for the stat boosts/drops that work on a scale of -6 to +6 stages and are accompanied by a shower of upward or downward lights and a sound effect, as opposed to just any old thing altering your stats. A lot of things work with them specifically--Psych Up, Unaware, etc. Right now we use "stat changes" or "stat modifiers" without being consistent.

And that's what I need opinions on!

I don't like "modifiers" because it sounds really vague, like it should include stuff like Huge Power or Choice Bands. "Changes" isn't perfect, but as far as I can see, it's a huge step up; it sounds a lot more like these... changes. Like, there's an actual specific point where the stats change here, not just some passive boost that's present. I've met with mixed agreement, but my sample size is three people so far so that doesn't mean much.

Butterfree suggested "stat stages", which is very precise but a bit opaque--I'm worried that if people aren't already aware that those things work in stages, they just won't know what we're talking about. Like, "Is there some part of Pokémon mechanics I'm not aware of? Evolution, level, stat stage???"

So yes, opinions would be lovely. Suggestions for alternatives, too, if you have those.

changes ... lots of things change things, are those changes?

if three words isn't excessive, perhaps "temporary stat changes"; that feels a bit cumbersome, though. "stat changes" and then things that care about stages specifically talk about "stat change stages"? "change" seems like a better word to use than "modifier", in any case, though, yes.

if it's any consolation, nobody else seems to have been able to find a consistent way of doing it, either!

Perhaps Stat Effect? I like res's suggestion of "temporary stat changes", too; just "stat changes" seems like it could be confused with the paralysis/poison/etc. kind of stat changes.

"Stat stages" sounds a bit awkward, but I don't think people should have too much trouble getting used to it. I'd say either that or "stat changes".

Stat points, maybe?

Edit: Or values?
I think the games use stages.

Yeah, the games use "stages", but they also use "base stats" to mean effort, so I'm not taking that as the final word. "Stat points" makes me think of effort, and they're not points anyway; "stat values" makes me think of the actual stats, and that would peevee Eevee since, as he says, everything's a value. [size=-1](... That was an honest typo but I'm leaving it in.)[/size]

Never mind I meant that the games use "changes". They don't use "stages" anywhere.

"Stat stages" sounds a bit awkward, but I don't think people should have too much trouble getting used to it. I'd say either that or "stat changes".
Yeah, that's true. Especially when we get actual pages about game mechanics up and actually explain what the difference is.

EDIT:
Perhaps Stat Effect? I like res's suggestion of "temporary stat changes", too; just "stat changes" seems like it could be confused with the paralysis/poison/etc. kind of stat changes.
... help I am confused by this post

Those are called "status changes" or "status effects". ... More commonly "effects". So "stat effect" is more confusable...

Last edited:
I've always seen it used as "stat modifiers".

Also, I don't agree that you should count Choice Band as stat modifier because of the meaning of the word, since they operate differently.

Eh, I don't think "stat stages" is terribly easy to confuse. If nothing else, the word "stage" is easier to imagine in the sentences you'd use in the descriptions.

"Raises the user's Attack by two (stat) stages."

In that context, at least, I feel it's unambiguous enough, and while most sites aren't totally consistent, a lot of them do use that terminology, so it's not as though no one at all is used to hearing it. With "modifier" you'd have to word it like

"Increases the user's Attack modifier by two."

or something, which works but doesn't sound as simple. And maybe it's because I just woke up, but I'm having trouble picturing how you'd word this sort of thing with "stat changes" at all. Maybe it'd help if you could explain a bit more about how specifically you're going to be rewriting the various descriptions so it's a bit clearer how the term you're looking for will be used?

The only other thing I can think of right now that I'd sort of like is "stat levels", which is similar to stages and I've seen used elsewhere, but since the word "level" is obviously already used by the game there is potential for confusion there, I guess. You would have to use the full phrase "stat levels" each time, anyway, where with stages you could leave off the "stat" and still maintain clarity.

Eh, I don't think "stat stages" is terribly easy to confuse. If nothing else, the word "stage" is easier to imagine in the sentences you'd use in the descriptions.

"Raises the user's Attack by two (stat) stages."

In that context, at least, I feel it's unambiguous enough, and while most sites aren't totally consistent, a lot of them do use that terminology, so it's not as though no one at all is used to hearing it. With "modifier" you'd have to word it like

"Increases the user's Attack modifier by two."

or something, which works but doesn't sound as simple. And maybe it's because I just woke up, but I'm having trouble picturing how you'd word this sort of thing with "stat changes" at all.
We already use "stages" for individual stages, like in your first example, but something like Psych Up would be "copies the target's stat changes/modifiers/whatever". That's another reason argument for "stages"; if we're going to be using it anyway, we may as well use it in every grammatical context. I've pretty much settled on "stat stages" though.

EDIT: Hmmm, it's still pretty awkward in places, e.g. Unaware: "This Pokémon ignores other Pokémon's stat stages..."

Last edited:
Combine the two?

"This Pokémon ignores changes/modifications to the other Pokémon's stat stages"?

Combine the two?

"This Pokémon ignores changes/modifications to the other Pokémon's stat stages"?
I'm in favor of this. It seems pretty clear and nonawkward, and "stages" definitely helps imply things like Huge Power aren't counted.

Back
Top Bottom