• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your Favourite Video Games

Scootaloo

spooky? do you think i'm spooky?
I dunno, just thought this would be a cool thread idea. Basically, just post your favourite video games/game you like to play, and who knows? Maybe someone else on this forum has common VG interests!

EDIT: I'm explaining why i like the games now.

Anyways, my top 5 favourite games:
1. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle-The first game in the Sonic series I played, I was in second grade when Chalumeau recieved it from a friend. Ey let me play it, and I was addicted to it in a heartbeat. The voice acting was great, music is phenomenal, and the amount of times I've gone back to play it (either making another file, trying to get all stages A rank, or the great Chao Garden) is countless. This is my favourite Sonic game, and most favourite game of all time.
2. Final Fantasy IX-First off, let me just say this. Go play this game now if you have a PSX/PS2/PS3. The characters are well developed, which is hard to say for some of the entries in the series, and I can't hate one single character. They're just that awesome. This game was an homage to the series' early history, I believe (i.e job classes and locations), and it was done beautifully. The music is four whole discs of awesome. Bravo, Uematsu.
3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask-This title is sadly underrated, most likely because it followed Ocarina of Time, or because most people like to have as much time as possible to complete a game. I disagree. The time system worked amazingly in the game's context, the locations were very well designed and interesting, and the sense of pride and accomplishment when you beat the game is overwhelming. The game takes pride in how developed the characters and story are, and that's a plus for any game. My favourite Zelda and N64 game.
4. Pokemon Crystal-This was the first Pokemon game I ever played, as well as one of the first games in general ever, so I have a special connection with it. I loved all of the new pokemon they added, and, while the enemy level system is a bit off, that doesn't matter to me, because it's still a phenomenal game. Also, the ability to go to Kanto was a great idea. This is my favourite Pokemon game, and Johto is my favourite region.
5. Sly 2: Band of Thieves-Sadly, almost no one knows about the Sly Cooper series, and I sadly can't get the fourth game. But! The first 3 Sly games are terrific, especially 2. 2 had great characters, a plot that followed up with the first game, and it's the longest game in the series (8 chapters, 1 and 3 are 6 chapters). This series and Sonic Chronicles The Dark Brotherhood [i've beaten it 30 times due to New Game +] are most likely the games I replay the most. I've replayed the Sly series about 10 times each for each game. That's how much I find them interesting. Also, this game's humour is hilarious.

other great games: Banjo Tooie, Kirby 64, Tales of the Abyss

Last edited:
Final Fantasy VII, Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap, and Pokemon Sapphire are a pretty good way of summing me up. :D They are three of my favourite things in the whole world. It's kind of odd how I tend to latch onto one particular part of a series ...

And I guess from there I'd go for Rayman 2 and Animal Crossing: WW! Mostly nostalgia, but this is 'favourite', not 'best', after all.

Something like this, assuming Minish's disclaimer of "favorite, not best"...

1. The World Ends With You - God I love this game. Maybe it's my favorite because I'm a teenager, seeing as TWEWY has the most realistic teenagers I've ever seen, and I can't help relating to most of the characters so much. Aside from that, it's stylistically awesome in a lot of ways, and it has a wonderfully healthy dose of my favorite cliches.

2. Last Scenario - Amazing RPG, all around, and made by one person with RPGMaker no less. The characters (who I am very attached to) and plot are done quite well, the gameplay is exactly my brand of just-challenging-enough, and everything to it has a pleasantly refreshing feel (despite or because of the purposefully cliche premise). Unfortunately, no one's ever heard of it. (But you can and should download it here! :D)

3. Tales of the Abyss - My favorite Tales game, and while it's up this high mainly because of my personal attachment to it, there are a number of aspects that are excellent. The gameplay (especially the battles) is really fun and way more balanced/less annoying than Tales of Symphonia's, and some of the characters are very well thought-out and developed, the protagonist in particular.

4. Suikoden II - I have trouble being coherent when describing this game for some reason, so I'll just say: great characters and character dynamics, great music, aaaand crappy translation but oh well. Just be aware that it's a bit high on the list of Games That Will Make You Cry.

5. Persona 4 Golden - Persona 4 delivers everything I ever wanted in terms of characters and group dynamics, and it can be summed up in one word: dorks. All the characters act like legitimate teenagers, complete with tons of stupidity and awkwardness. Besides that, the game (Golden in particular) is just a ton of fun to play all-around.

Runners up include... well, many games, but particularly Ghost Trick (slick, entertainingly quirky, and did I mention utterly brilliant?) and Zelda: Wind Waker (stunningly beautiful from the music to the graphics and more, plus full of personality).

And I know I'm already at seven games, but some other quick mentions: the Ace Attorney series is several kinds of amazing, Hatoful Boyfriend is honestly a masterpiece, there are too many great works of interactive fiction out there for me to name any in particular, aaaand I probably love pretty much anything that's in the same series as something I've already mentioned.

3. Tales of the Abyss - My favorite Tales game, and while it's up this high mainly because of my personal attachment to it, there are a number of aspects that are excellent. The gameplay (especially the battles) is really fun and way more balanced/less annoying than Tales of Symphonia's, and some of the characters are very well thought-out and developed, the protagonist in particular.

yes just yes
I recently picked up the 3DS port and I am loving it so far C:

1. Tales of Xillia
the game actually has some well-rounded characters, all of whom compliment each other very well and, dare i say it, a first for the series; a fantastic story. it's chock full of emotions; everyone can be very silly, as evidenced by Milla's air-headedness, or Alvin and Leia coming up with their own secret handshake, and naturally, they all get very serious, upset and completely devastated.

the events in the story actually have lasting effects on everybody throughout the game, and it goes through great pains to ensure you're feeling what everybody else is feeling. and the battle system is definitely the best in the series; it's very fluid, completely getting rid of the stiffness that Graces had, very visually appealing, having some of the best looking spells since Eternia, and easily the most well-balanced the series has to offer

2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
probably not for everyone, considering a lot of my friends have a penchant for getting lost in Dracula's castle, but i absolutely love how massive it is. you've got the entrance corridor, a pretty snazzy museum, one of the biggest damn clock towers ever up top, and down below you've got all sorts of creepy tombs and catacombs, and dozens of secrets to find.

the best part? just when you think you've done everything there is to do, you find yourself in an inverted version of the castle. bam, twice as many secrets to find. the atmosphere for all of the environments are fantastic, and this game also has what i feel is probably one of the greatest soundtracks ever made.

3. Wild Arms 2
maybe not as good as Wild Arms 3 in terms of presentation, which feels like more of a wild west than this does, but i absolutely love this. everyone wants to be a hero. but not everybody knows what it takes, or what it means to be one. there's a lot of confusion regarding this, and everyone questions it, including Ashley, the main character. even during his internal struggle with the demon Knight Blazer (who also has one of the coolest themes ever).

4. Megaman X4
take everything the series has established thus far, give it a new coat of paint, some awesome bosses and an even better soundtrack, and you've got what i feel the definition of all sidescrolling platformers should be. it's got some well-balanced stages with some of the best pacing i've ever seen, making it suitable for anybody looking to play the game normally, speed-run it, or even perfect run it. not to mention, it's Zero's introduction as a fully playable character; he certainly doesn't disappoint!

5. Grandia
not the greatest game ever, but fantastic nonetheless. it gives us the standard 'chosen one' storyline, but the main character? he never was actually a chosen one. he only jumped at the chance to fulfill his dreams, and worked his ass off to get recognized, literally forcing his way into a being a chosen one. i love how you see Justin grow so much throughout the game. he starts off as an annoying brat, common for any JRPG hero, but as you progress through the game, you visibly and slowly see him grow into a young man, and a man from there. he doesn't just boast about his big dreams and deny his mistakes, he actually tries his hardest to make them happen, and takes his mistakes seriously and learns from them.

other favorites that i won't go in depth for are Tales of Xillia 2, Tales of Hearts, Melty Blood Actress Again: Current Code, Phantasy Star IV, Klonoa 2 and Ape Escape

My favorite games change all the time, so right now I only have 2 favorites.

1. MOTHER 3 - I'm not done with the game yet, but I have to say this is my favorite Nintendo game-no, my favorite game that I have played. The story is great, I love the characters (especially Kumatora), and the beginning (and ending) are real tear jerkers.
2. The World Ends with You - I'm usually not too fond of Square-Enix games, but this game is just great. I'm too lazy to list the reasons why, so I'll just post this as is |D

Pokemon Platinum, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Fortune Street, NBA 2K13, Mario Party 8, and Scribblenauts Unlimited.

My list of favourite games is really volatile it seems. The N64 Zelda games will always be up there but other than them it depends a lot on what I've played recently.

A year ago I thought Assassin's Creed 2 would be on my favourites list for a long time, but now I don't think it is. It's my favourite of that series but after playing it enough it just gets boring. Then I played Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and that was amazing but a few months later I decide I like Bioshock more than that.

And then there are franchises that I adore but I can't pin down a single game that I like a lot. I know my favourite generation in Pokémon is 2, but do I prefer GS, Crystal, or HGSS?

Also I might be in the mood for a specific game one week but play it so much that I get sick of it for the rest of the year. Minecraft and Sim games are very prone to this. They're great games and at the time they're the most entertaining thing ever, but the rest of the year they do nothing but contribute more to my trend of staring at my list of games and not being able to decide what game to play. Sort of like how when you have more TV channels there's less likely to be anything on.

So I'll say, only including one game per series and probably not in any order beyond being above things not listed (probably), for the time being:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask: One of the few games that I enjoy that I do think is an experience rather than just a game. The reactions of the townspeople to impending doom and how small changes made by Link can affect them might not be realistic but it's a great thing to play through.

2. Pokémon Soulsilver: It wouldn't be here on its own but it's mainly here as a representative of the Pokémon series as a whole. HGSS is a really nice remake of the of the originals, and including the stuff crystal had makes them an easy choice. Though there were a few changes I didn't like. And I always liked silver over gold for some reason.

3. Lego Rock Raiders (PC): Real time strategies can be great fun especially with friends. This game is single player only though, and the only RTS that I look on now and think I get the most fun possible out of it when I play it. Maybe it's because I'm too shy to be able to play with strangers and don't have any friends who play the same games as me but while RTSes like Age of Empires are fun, I just don't think I'm getting the most out of what I paid for took from my brother's room. I never actually completed this game but its difficulty was fun rather than frustrating. The concept always fascinated me as well.

4. Deus Ex

5. Mario & Luigi's Superstar Saga: I don't own this game either. I've played my friend's copy and it's made me so want to get it but shops don't really sell old console games any more. It might not be the most traditional Mario game but its silliness and RPGness just make me love it so much. Perhaps it's not as good as I remember though, I'll be sure to say if I ever get my own copy.

5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King: A licensed game that doesn't suck. One of the few games that my brother had where I also had a friend interested in playing. (SSB doesn't count because) Just an all-round fun game. Except for the Pelennor Fields level which I got so frustrated at that I growled at the game a bit and my brother told me I wasn't allowed to play any more. Mean.

It actually occurs to me now that it's my brother who owns "my" copy of Majora's Mask as well.
...I need to own some games.

Scribblenauts Unlimited
I want this so much. But why must I live in Europe :(
Cfsc1.png

I assume they're changing things like "soccer ball" to "football", but surely it doesn't take that long!

Last edited:
I have a lot of favorites in terms of series, but i can't pinpoint a lot of favorite games :(

Major props to The World Ends With You for being so addictive that i've beaten about half the main storyline in two real-life days

I have so many favorite games it's ridiculous.

My absolute favorite though is Okami.

Favorite Final Fantasy would either be IV or XII, thoguh I am really liking XIII and XIII-2 right now.

My favorite Pokemon game is without a doubt Emerald.

Other games include Devil May Cry 1 & 3, Kingdom Hearts (I really don't have a favorite in the series, I like them all), Super Mario Galaxy, and so much more games that I probably can't remember lol.

Hands-down the best video game I've ever played is Fallout: New Vegas. Some other favourites include The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Ape Escape, Bioshock, Rayman 2: The Great Escape, Batman: Arkham Asylum and The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap.

Last edited:
I deleted my old posts in this thread (rather not get into the details).

I'm mainly a pokemon fan when it comes to video games now, so anything pokemon, really.

Pokemon helps me in general a lot. It's made me less confused about things I didn't know how to deal with before, in resent years....(and has even changed my views about stuff a little. which is only a good thing :3)

Major props to The World Ends With You for being so addictive that i've beaten about half the main storyline in two real-life days

EIGHT YEARS LATER: TWEWY is def up there!! It's incredibly fun no matter what system I'm playing it on, and the characters are...really good...

Also, if you have talked to me for any length of time in the past eight months (thanks hyperfixations) this won't be a surprise, but dragon quest xi...is very good...I knew I was gonna like it from the minute I picked it up (dragon quest games are Very Good) but I wasn't prepared for how MUCH I wound up loving it. The characters are excellent, best execution of silent protagonist in an rpg imo, the foreshadowing is REAL GOOD, and it's one of the few games I've replayed where a) replaying it was a delight the whole time and b) I cried harder on a second playthrough than I did on my first.
the whole story is really good but from the moment I hit the halfway point and went "oh, FUCK, this is a "you failed to stop the apocalypse from starting so now you have to deal with the consequences and fix it" plot???" I was straight up unable to put the game down until I beat it, which is quite a feat given that I am a paragon of ADHD "flitting between games forever" issues. Also, man, watching the protagonist get his metaphysical heart ripped out is a real good narrative moment but does NOT get easier on subsequent viewings, oof. Nice work, dev team.

It's definitely got its issues (oof, postgame) but honestly, what a beautiful game.

EIGHT YEARS LATER: TWEWY is def up there!! It's incredibly fun no matter what system I'm playing it on, and the characters are...really good...

Also, if you have talked to me for any length of time in the past eight months (thanks hyperfixations) this won't be a surprise, but dragon quest xi...is very good...I knew I was gonna like it from the minute I picked it up (dragon quest games are Very Good) but I wasn't prepared for how MUCH I wound up loving it. The characters are excellent, best execution of silent protagonist in an rpg imo, the foreshadowing is REAL GOOD, and it's one of the few games I've replayed where a) replaying it was a delight the whole time and b) I cried harder on a second playthrough than I did on my first.
the whole story is really good but from the moment I hit the halfway point and went "oh, FUCK, this is a "you failed to stop the apocalypse from starting so now you have to deal with the consequences and fix it" plot???" I was straight up unable to put the game down until I beat it, which is quite a feat given that I am a paragon of ADHD "flitting between games forever" issues. Also, man, watching the protagonist get his metaphysical heart ripped out is a real good narrative moment but does NOT get easier on subsequent viewings, oof. Nice work, dev team.

It's definitely got its issues (oof, postgame) but honestly, what a beautiful game.
I've heard Dragon Quest is a very popular game in Japan. Felt like commenting on that :P

I never played it myself though. I might of heard pokemon was inspired by it, a bit, though. I'm not sure.

Same there on ACNH...

Personally I latch onto anything with a lot of characters, so it's no surprise some of my favorite games are Ace Attorney and Undertale.
It makes sense you're also a pokemon fan :P (pokemon has....like, more characters than any other series i've known ever o.o)

Your post is super cool :)

I really hope someday I get to play pokemon go :) (i actually have grown to like catching pokemon almost as much as battling with them, from playing a game called delugerpg which has a seriously large amount of collectables xD haha.....its like i have a side to me thats like gou from the anime. at this point; hardcore fan. hardcore.....*one day i need to complete an in-game dex :P if its possible :o*)

Yeah the Pokémon series is obviously my favorite.

I also like
1. Minecraft, for the creative aspect and ability to play with friends.
2. Kirby, because i have no real reason except for the story now i seem weird i overthink kirby games.
3. Legend Of Zelda BOTW, i just got into it. It's fun, because, uhh, fun.
4. The Escapists, because i get to escape from prison. VALUABLE LIFE SKILLS PEOPLE!!!
5. Splatoon is amazing i don't know why it's fifth but oh well too late.

Back
Top Bottom