• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Your Top 10 Favorite Movies

Vipera Magnifica

Aquatic Artiste
Pronoun
he/him
It's been forever since there was a thread like this here, so why don't I just ask the question myself...

What are your favorite movies?

As for me, well:
1. The Shawshank Redemption
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Airplane!
4. The Big Lebowski
5. Inception
6. Pink Floyd: The Wall
7. In Bruges
8. Fight Club
9. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
10. Apocalypse Now

I find it really difficult to give a specific order with these lists so I'll just list the first 10 ones I can think of that I really like, in the order I think of them. It's probably not accurate.

Big
Back to the Future
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Wall-E
The Matrix
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

(at this point I was running out of ideas)
Mr Bean's Holiday
Stargate

I haven't not seen many films, it's just I don't think many of them are really good.
If I hadn't restricted myself to one film per franchise you'd be seeing a whole lot of repeats up there (but not the Matrix, don't worry!). Maybe Star Wars would have been up there but I can't decide which one is my favourite out of the three. I'm also not including so bad it's good or so bad it's hilarious films.

1. Ace Ventura: Nature Calls
  2. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
  3. Austin Powers: Goldmember
  4. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
  5. Bruce Almighty
  6. Liar Liar
  7. Dumb and Dumber
  8. Yes Man
  9. Happy Gilmore
  10. Billy Madison

of course I don't like movies by the same actors

1. The Prestige
  2. Drive
  3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  4. Dr. Strangelove
  5. The Dark Knight
  6. Brazil
  7. Do The Right Thing
  8. The Truman Show
  9. Inception
  10. Unbreakable

Last edited:
I don't have a favourite movie, so i'll just name some of my personal favourites

Goldeneye
Skyfall
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Green Mile
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Harry Potter movies

some others:
Wreck it Ralph
Fun With Dick and Jane
Spy Kids
Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie

Last edited:
Okay, these are in no particular order.

Charlie in the Chocolate Factory
Vile
Nine Dead
Insidious
Gremlins
Alice in Wonderland (The Disney Cartoon)
Alice in Wonderland (With Johnny Depp)
All of the Harry Potters--Especially the Goblet of Fire!

Um, that is all I can think of at the moment. I'll add more if I think of any. I just like a lot of horror.

live action:
1) Back to the Future (all 3 of them)
2) The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
3) Wayne's World
4) Space Cowboys
5) Bruce Almighty
6) Monty Python's Life of Brian
7) The Bridges of Madison County
8) Love Actually
9) Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
10) Rocky Horror Picture Show

animated:
1) The Emperor's New Groove
2) Mulan
3) Hercules
4) Interstella 5555
5) My Neighbor Totoro
6) Paranorman
7) Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva
8) Brother Bear
9) South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
10) EVERY PIXAR MOVIE EVER DON'T MAKE ME PICK JUST ONE

wow that was hard to narrow it down to. 20.

10. Memento
9. The Elephant Man
8. 12 Angry Men
7. Taxi Driver
6. The Big Lebowski
5. The Others
4. In Bruges
3. There Will Be Blood
2. Mulholland Dr.
1. Pulp Fiction

1. blazing saddles
2. stranger than fiction
3. chicago
4. anchorman
5. back to the future movies
6. rocky horror picture show
7. 12 angry men
8. monty python and the holy grail
9. history of the world part 1
10. spaceballs

ok that's live-action, idk how animated would factor in but toy story 1/3, wreck-it ralph and emperor's new groove are all up there

Poly said:

the hell o.o

1)The Green Mile
2)Forrest Gump
3)The Shawshank Redemption
4)Toy Story 1
5)Misery
6)Spaceballs
7)Django Unchained
8)I saw the last half of Wreck-It Ralph
9)Big
10)Valkryie

by the time I hit 8 or 9 I was scrambling for movies I vaguely liked

1. Pulp fiction
  2. Cloud Atlas
  3. The Dark Knight
  4. Inception
  5. V for Vendetta
  6. Aladdin
  7. The Hobbit
  8. Nightmare before Christmas
  9. Cabin in the Woods
  10. Tron

Do you remember the aliens? Because I watched it the other day, thought "okay how did pop cultural osmosis not tell me this movie had aliens" and started commenting on it to people I know who have seen it. Every single one of them, even if they'd seen it multiple times, was like "oh, huh, there were aliens?" I'm starting to think there's some kind of a Men in Black mindwipe thing going on.

As for my favorite movies, hm. You really can't compare most of these movies to each other, so the ordering is somewhat arbitrary.

1. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
2. The Prestige
3. Monty Python's Life of Brian
4. District 9
5. Inglourious Basterds
6. Reservoir Dogs
7. Memento
8. The Green Mile
9. The Shawshank Redemption
10. The Incredibles

I am probably forgetting something.

Do you remember the aliens? Because I watched it the other day, thought "okay how did pop cultural osmosis not tell me this movie had aliens" and started commenting on it to people I know who have seen it. Every single one of them, even if they'd seen it multiple times, was like "oh, huh, there were aliens?" I'm starting to think there's some kind of a Men in Black mindwipe thing going on.

I remember the aliens! i guess nobody really noticed because the movie is really fucking confusing anyway, it took like seven viewings before i could make heads or tails of about half of it.

then again it probably helps that a lot of the movie is pretty much ingrained in my head because the majority of those seven viewings were audience participation viewings

Awesomely, pop culture osmosis/ pop lingo osmosis has just bestowed upon me the concept of pop culture/ lingo osmosis (unless this is one of Butterfree's originals, in which case I'm totally stealing and integrating into my mental processes)

1. Avatar (not the airbender)
2. Dragonheart (hence my username)
3. ALL of the Lord Of The Rings movies
4. Hitchhikers Guide The The Galaxy
5. Eragon
6. The Black Stallion
7. Watership Down
8. Jurassic Park
9. the Harry Potter movies
10. Dragonheart II

T1. Inception
T1. White Christmas
3. Beauty and the Beast
4. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
5. Airplane!
6. Star Trek
7. Top Gun
8. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
9. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
10. Citizen Kane

3 of those I saw for the first time in the last month, so I might be a bit biased.

1. The Shining
2. The Fly (1986)
3. Videodrome
4. An American werewolf in London
5. A Nightmare on Elm Street
6. Alien/Aliens
7. Misery
8. Brain Dead
9. Jurassic Park
10. Chronicle

And about a hundred more. Narrowing it down to 10 is tricky.

I'm not fond of ranking things, but when asked to name my favourite film I usually say 2001. Other films which would make the top ten... Inglourious Basterds, Let the Right One In, Lost in Translation, probably Star Wars for nostalgia reasons... I haven't thought about it that much, really. Maybe Brazil and Metropolis? I saw them both for the second time quite recently and was struck by how fantastic both are.

ETA: Oh, reading Byrus' post reminded me - definitely Alien. (Aliens is also very good but not quite in the same category.)

Back
Top Bottom