• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

I would like to make the extremely stupid decision to ref a battle, but there is literally nothing for me to ref. What is wrong with you people >:( Can someone make a 1v1 challenge please and thanks. I will ref it! Note that I have not done any non-technical writing for a long time, so expect truly terrible writing (or I could write your battle in the form of a research paper).

I will abuse the fact I am now a Ref (tm) and use my new spot, hehe! Open challenge!

Format: 1v1
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct healing, Chill, Protect/Detect
Arena: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Notes: the stadium is packed to capacity for a League Championship!! >:0

I will abuse the fact I am now a Ref (tm) and use my new spot, hehe! Open challenge!

Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct healing, Chill, Protect/Detect
Arena: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Notes: the stadium is packed to capacity for a League Championship!! >:0

i'll take this!! off we go!

All right, thread up shortly!

apparently, tournament battles don't count in the battle count, so i'm going to do this!! i had this idea just now!!! please someone fight me in Twitter!!

Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs
Arena: Twitter Itself. (has this been done yet??)

somehow, you and your pokemon have gotten sucked into Twitter Itself! everyone is now a party sprite, standing in the middle of a vaguely cleared-out central hub where all the tweets are flying around to their destinations. the ground is flat and pokemon will be able to find their footing just fine, although they might be a little disoriented at all the tweets rushing about them.

this is an old version of twitter, so every post the trainers make will have to fit the old character limit of 140 characters (excluding the actual command string, because Twitter Itself understands those things). because twitter is not a functional platform, trick room is in play for the entire duration of this battle, and because twitter is an electronic platform electric terrain is happening for the entire duration of the battle.

because this is twitter, tweets other than trainers' commands are getting posted, and they're flying about everywhere! these tweets are shaped like paper airplanes, and all are certainly steady enough for a party sprite to ride on, provided they can jump onto one with trick room happening and all that. because this is social media, the tweets are also responsive to pokemon energy, and will be rallied if a pokemon needs to summon something for a move - you could totally have a surf of tweets, or a rock throw, or whatever. there's no way to change the weather, though.

every round, there's a chance that a tweet will do something! a tweet first has to make contact with a pokemon, though, and this frequency is left to the discretion of the ref because i have no real idea of how large or small chances are.
all tweet contact chance/effects will happen at the end of the round, because this is when i think pokemon are paying the least attention. upon contact, tweets can divulge their message to the pokemon. this message can be any sound-based move. these moves are not affected by the damage cap, because this is twitter and the moves do damage to your soul itself - i mean, to your energy instead! so pokemon will have to be careful about that.

trainers can also (and do) write tweets to the opposing trainer, which will allow them to limit the trainer's next commands in a strictly flavorish way; they may not expressly forbid specific moves or move types, but they can specify that the commands have to, like, rhyme or something. the trainer that commands second in the round will post this tweet-restriction (also in the form of a tweet!!!) before the other trainer commands for that round.
if the trainer does not comply with the tweet, they will be attacked by a flood of negatively minded suburban soccer moms' opinions, and their pokemon will have a hard time understanding their next commands - again, at a chance set at the discretion of the ref, which should be a chance high enough to be amusing but low enough to not be frustrating. when pokemon are confused by a tweet, they'll just stand around looking confused, and probably get hit by a tweet if it's the end of the round.

tl;dr
we fight in Twitter Itself.
electric terrain is happening.
trick room is happening.
no weather changes. (clear weather throughout.)
your command flavor has to be 140 characters or less (your command string doesn't count towards this).
tweets are shaped like paper airplanes, but are much sturdier and can definitely hold a pokemon.
tweets are flying around everywhere and can crash into a pokemon.
crashing can happen at the end of each round.
upon crash, your pokemon is hit by one randomized sound move.
if the move is damaging, it does that percent of damage to your pokemon's energy, not hp.
every round before commands are posted, the trainer that will command second posts a flavor restriction on commands for that round.
if you don't write your command flavor to fit, your pokemon's actions on the next round each have a small failure chance.

(hello now i am nervous that i did this wrong. please tell me if i need to fix things. thank you)

Last edited:
apparently, tournament battles don't count in the battle count, so i'm going to do this!! i had this idea just now!!! please someone fight me in Twitter!!

somehow, you and your pokemon have gotten sucked into Twitter Itself! everyone is now a party sprite, standing in the middle of a vaguely cleared-out central hub where all the tweets are flying around to their destinations. the ground is flat and pokemon will be able to find their footing just fine, although they might be a little disoriented at all the tweets rushing about them.

this is an old version of twitter, so every post the trainers make will have to fit the old character limit of 140 characters (excluding the actual command string, because Twitter Itself understands those things). because twitter is not a functional platform, trick room is in play for the entire duration of this battle, and because twitter is an electronic platform electric-types are all under the effects of magnet rise for the entire duration of the battle.

because this is twitter, tweets other than trainers' commands are getting posted, and they're flying about everywhere! these tweets are shaped like paper airplanes, and all are certainly steady enough for a party sprite to ride on, provided they can jump onto one with trick room happening and all that. because this is social media, the tweets are also responsive to pokemon energy, and will be rallied if a pokemon needs to summon something for a move - you could totally have a surf of tweets, or a rock throw, or whatever. there's no way to change the weather, though.

every round, there's a chance that a tweet will do something! a tweet first has to make contact with a pokemon, though, and this frequency is left to the discretion of the ref because i have no real idea of how large or small chances are.
all tweet contact chance/effects will happen at the end of the round, because this is when i think pokemon are paying the least attention. upon contact, tweets can divulge their message to the pokemon. this message can be any sound-based move. these moves are not affected by the damage cap, because this is twitter and the moves do damage to your soul itself - i mean, to your energy instead! so pokemon will have to be careful about that.

pokemon can also spend an action to write a tweet to the opposing trainer, which will allow them to limit the trainer's next commands in a strictly flavorish way; they may not expressly forbid specific moves or move types, but they can specify that the commands have to, like, rhyme or something. if the trainer does not comply with the tweet, they will be attacked by a flood of negatively minded suburban soccer moms' opinions, and their pokemon will have a hard time understanding their next commands - again, at a chance set at the discretion of the ref, which should be a chance high enough to be amusing but low enough to not be frustrating. when pokemon are confused by a tweet, they'll just stand around looking confused, and probably get hit by a tweet if it's the end of the round.

tl;dr
electric pokemon are floating.
trick room is happening.
your command flavor has to be 140 characters or less (your command string doesn't count towards this).
tweets are shaped like paper airplanes, but are much sturdier and can definitely hold a pokemon.
if the move is damaging, it does that percent of damage to your pokemon's energy, not hp.
your pokemon can write a tweet to the other trainer that forces their command flavor to change. this takes one action but really this is the only fun part.
if you don't change your command flavor to fit, your pokemon's actions on the next round each have a small failure chance.

(hello now i am nervous that i did this wrong. please tell me if i need to fix things. thank you)

I have been engaged in a fierce internal struggle for the past several minutes but I cannot say no to this. (Technically I don't have room for this because of two old dead battles, but I will assume they don't count? One of them is in the process of being closed, anyway.)

I have a suggestion :O What if, instead of the taking an action to write a tweet thing: at the beginning of each round the trainer who is commanding first picks a restriction on the flavour, and both trainers have to follow it for that round. I think this would ensure maximum hilarity.

this is an old version of twitter, so every post the trainers make will have to fit the old character limit of 140 characters (excluding the actual command string, because Twitter Itself understands those things). because twitter is not a functional platform, trick room is in play for the entire duration of this battle, and because twitter is an electronic platform electric-types are all under the effects of magnet rise for the entire duration of the battle.

pokemon can also spend an action to write a tweet to the opposing trainer, which will allow them to limit the trainer's next commands in a strictly flavorish way; they may not expressly forbid specific moves or move types, but they can specify that the commands have to, like, rhyme or something. if the trainer does not comply with the tweet, they will be attacked by a flood of negatively minded suburban soccer moms' opinions, and their pokemon will have a hard time understanding their next commands - again, at a chance set at the discretion of the ref, which should be a chance high enough to be amusing but low enough to not be frustrating. when pokemon are confused by a tweet, they'll just stand around looking confused, and probably get hit by a tweet if it's the end of the round.

tl;dr
electric pokemon are floating.
trick room is happening.
your pokemon can write a tweet to the other trainer that forces their command flavor to change. this takes one action but really this is the only fun part.
if you don't change your command flavor to fit, your pokemon's actions on the next round each have a small failure chance.

I want to ref this. Because this is amazing.

You two figure out your details and potential changes and stuff and let me know when you're ready! I'll get a thread up.

Format: 2v2 Singles
Style: Set
DQ: 2 weeks
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing, Burn Up
Arena Description: Volcanic Slope
This Battle takes place on the side of a volcano. It's dormant and doesn't do anything to the battle (at least at first), but it's thematically appropriate. Just don't use earthquake too frequently.
Additional Rules: Unevolved Fire-Types only. Abilities that would grant immunity to Fire Moves do not, but their other effects remain unchanged (Flash Fire still boosts the power of Fire moves).

Last edited:
I think I'm only in two battles that take up a slot (not that either of them has moved in years), so. This is totally ridiculous but I need to spread the word of bird. Go buy your cheep cheeps!

Format: 1&1 vs 1&1, double
DQ: whatever
Damage Cap: 40%?
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct healing, Chill, anything that erases abilities (I don't think Oricorio has anything like that, but just in case). Spamming of Dance moves is highly encouraged.

Arena: Oricorio Meadow
idk how to write but it is pretty and full of flowers and stuff. The meadow is separated into four quadrants, each populated with a different colour of Oricorio flower. It is very very pretty. So pretty. Look how pretty! Cheep cheeps can take an action to drink the nectar from any of the flowers and change form according to the flower's colour. Form changes will take place at the end of the round.

Additional Rules: The only allowed Pokémon is our favourite cheep cheep friend, Oricorio. We will need one Oricorio of each form (but of course they can change forms during battle, see the arena description). Mine is Sensu form! Flying and Electric inflict neutral damage on each other, to prevent Pom-Pom form from being too OP. All participating cheep cheeps have Fiery Dance, Feather Dance, Lunar Dance, Petal Dance, and Quiver Dance added to their movepool.

This battle may drag on, so I'm considering something like everyone starting off at 50% health/energy and only two actions a round so the ref doesn't need to write like, five million dance moves per round. I welcome your suggestions! (This would probably have to affect exp gain in some way, but I'll assume nobody cares about it in this battle anyway because Oricorio doesn't evolve.)

Current Participants:
  • Eifie (Sensu Oricorio)
  • Sandstone-Shadow (Baile Oricorio)
  • You?! (Pa'u Oricorio)
  • You?! (Pom-Pom Oricorio)

wheeze i'm here i'm queer and my cheep cheep friend is... also here and ready to fight. i'll be joinng with a pom-pom oricorio!

Last edited:
I think I'm only in two battles that take up a slot (not that either of them has moved in years), so. This is totally ridiculous but I need to spread the word of bird. Go buy your cheep cheeps!

Format: 1&1 vs 1&1, double
DQ: whatever
Damage Cap: 40%?
Banned/Restricted Moves: Direct healing, Chill, anything that erases abilities (I don't think Oricorio has anything like that, but just in case). Spamming of Dance moves is highly encouraged.

Arena: Oricorio Meadow
idk how to write but it is pretty and full of flowers and stuff. The meadow is separated into four quadrants, each populated with a different colour of Oricorio flower. It is very very pretty. So pretty. Look how pretty! Cheep cheeps can take an action to drink the nectar from any of the flowers and change form according to the flower's colour. Form changes will take place at the end of the round.

Additional Rules: The only allowed Pokémon is our favourite cheep cheep friend, Oricorio. We will need one Oricorio of each form (but of course they can change forms during battle, see the arena description). Mine is Sensu form! Flying and Electric inflict neutral damage on each other, to prevent Pom-Pom form from being too OP. All participating cheep cheeps have Fiery Dance, Feather Dance, Lunar Dance, Petal Dance, and Quiver Dance added to their movepool.

This battle may drag on, so I'm considering something like everyone starting off at 50% health/energy and only two actions a round so the ref doesn't need to write like, five million dance moves per round. I welcome your suggestions! (This would probably have to affect exp gain in some way, but I'll assume nobody cares about it in this battle anyway because Oricorio doesn't evolve.)

Current Participants:
  • Eifie (Sensu Oricorio)
  • Sandstone-Shadow (Baile Oricorio)
  • You?! (Pa'u Oricorio)
  • sanderidge (Pom-Pom Oricorio)

I will try to get back into ASB by taking the last slot! I'll try to keep up but just in case, poke me on Telegram if I don't give commands within a day or so of it being my turn for it :)

All right! We never figured out any changes to health/energy, number of actions in a round, etc., so I guess let's just start normally and modify things if they get ridiculous. Everyone put your cheep cheep in your party; ILS you can randomize the teams!

This Battle takes place on the side of a volcano. It's dormant and doesn't do anything to the battle (at least at first), but it's thematically appropriate. Just don't use earthquake too frequently.
Additional Rules: Unevolved Fire-Types only. Abilities that would grant immunity to Fire Moves do not, but their other effects remain unchanged (Flash Fire still boosts the power of Fire moves).

Mind if I accept this? Still not quite up to jumping back into ASB whole hog, but I've kinda wanted to have a super-simple battle for a little while and this should do just fine.

Now, let's see if I remember how to drive this thing...

Mind if I accept this? Still not quite up to jumping back into ASB whole hog, but I've kinda wanted to have a super-simple battle for a little while and this should do just fine.

Now, let's see if I remember how to drive this thing...

I'll ref this! Thread up in a bit.

Man, been a while since I posted one of these... anyway!

Format: 2 vs 2, single
Style: Switch
DQ: 3 weeks
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Direct Recovery Moves, Terrain moves
Arena Description: Somewhere off in a secluded forest is a giant metal dome-like structure that if we're being honest really has no business being in a forest anyway, which it doesn't. It's an abandoned research facility where some scientists attempted to toy with nature... and failed. Don''t worry, nothing evil lurks there; they just didn't get the results that the higher ups wanted, so their funding was cut, and as a result the facility had to be abandoned. However, what was it they were trying to do? Well, they were looking into how terrain moves such as Electric Terrain and Misty Terrain work, and in the process, managed to create 18 sort of inferior, man-made terrains: one for each type!

These terrains have the same effect of amplifying moves of the same type as the active terrain by 1.2x, with the added bonus effect of weakening any moves that would normally be weak to the type of the terrain by 0.8x. So, for example, if a water terrain was in effect, any water moves used then would be amplified by 1.2x, while any fire, ground, or rock moves used would have be weakened by 0.8x. However, if a type is weak to itself (Dragon or Ghost) or has no types weak to it (Normal), the 0.8x modifier does not come into effect (Or in Ghost terrains case, only affects Psychic type moves). However, these terrains aren't without their drawbacks; like I mentioned, they're inferior versions, so they can only last one round at a time before fading away to a new terrain. In addition, if it happens to become a Grass, Electric, Psychic, or Fairy terrain, it will not keep any bonus effects that it would normally have, such as negating priority moves or healing at the end of every round, and will only have the aforementioned effects of boosting or lowering certain types attacks.

To summarize:
  • There are 18 "terrains", one for each type
  • A new random "terrain" is put into effect at the start of each round
  • Boosts moves of the same type as the terrain by 1.2x
  • Weakens moves that have types that are weak to the type of the terrain by 0.8x
  • If a terrain has a type that is weak against itself (Dragon or Ghost) then the 1.2x modifier trumps the 0.8x modifier
  • If the terrain is Electric, Psychic, Fairy, or Grass, it does not have any of the bonus effects such as negating status or anything, and only boosts or weakens its according types

(Hopefully I did this right and this doesn't seem too overpowered or anything but if it is please let me know!)

Last edited:
Man, been a while since I posted one of these... anyway!

Format: 2 vs 2, single
Style: Switch
DQ: 3 weeks
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Direct Recovery Moves
Arena Description: Somewhere off in a secluded forest is a giant metal dome-like structure that if we're being honest really has no business being in a forest anyway, which it doesn't. It's an abandoned research facility where some scientists attempted to toy with nature... and failed. Don''t worry, nothing evil lurks there; they just didn't get the results that the higher ups wanted, so their funding was cut, and as a result the facility had to be abandoned. However, what was it they were trying to do? Well, they were looking into how terrain moves such as Electric Terrain and Misty Terrain work, and in the process, managed to create 18 sort of inferior, man-made terrains: one for each type!

These terrains have the same effect of amplifying moves of the same type as the active terrain by 1.2x, with the added bonus effect of weakening any moves that would normally be weak to the type of the terrain by 0.8x. So, for example, if a water terrain was in effect, any water moves used then would be amplified by 1.2x, while any fire, ground, or rock moves used would have be weakened by 0.8x. However, if a type is weak to itself (Dragon or Ghost) or has no types weak to it (Normal), the 0.8x modifier does not come into effect (Or in Ghost terrains case, only affects Psychic type moves). However, these terrains aren't without their drawbacks; like I mentioned, they're inferior versions, so they can only last one round at a time before fading away to a new terrain. In addition, if it happens to become a Grass, Electric, Psychic, or Fairy terrain, it will not keep any bonus effects that it would normally have, such as negating priority moves or healing at the end of every round, and will only have the aforementioned effects of boosting or lowering certain types attacks.

To summarize:
  • There are 18 "terrains", one for each type
  • A new random "terrain" is put into effect at the start of each round
  • Boosts moves of the same type as the terrain by 1.2x
  • Weakens moves that have types that are weak to the type of the terrain by 0.8x
  • If a terrain has a type that is weak against itself (Dragon or Ghost) then the 1.2x modifier trumps the 0.8x modifier
  • If the terrain is Electric, Psychic, Fairy, or Grass, it does not have any of the bonus effects such as negating status or anything, and only boosts or weakens its according types

(Hopefully I did this right and this doesn't seem too overpowered or anything but if it is please let me know!)

Ooh, this arena looks interesting! I’ll take this challenge.

Just to clarify, would normal Terrain moves or Terrain-dependent abilities/items still work along with the terrain in the arena?

Ooh, this arena looks interesting! I’ll take this challenge.

Just to clarify, would normal Terrain moves or Terrain-dependent abilities/items still work along with the terrain in the arena?

Ooh, yeah, probably should've specified that... But anyway, normal Terrain moves are banned, so I'll edit the Banned Moves section to reflect that, as is the Terrain Extender. However, all the Terrain seeds are allowed, in addition to any Terrain dependent abilities, as long as the corresponding terrain happens to show up.

Last edited:
here's a challenge for Stryke

Format: 4v4 single

DQ Time: 49 hours

Banned Moves: OHKO's, Direct Recovery 1/Mon, Chills 3/Mon, Splash

Story: Upon a bright, sunny day in Asber, a bystander finds a note taped, upside-down, to the doors of the central hall.

"you fucks skipped out on a battle for halloween to play mafia so we're making our own spooky decisions and going yo this stupid mansion.

xoxo,
Phoenix & Stryke"

Arena Description: Spooky Scary Man-si-on
The battle takes place in a haunted mansion, fit with its own mildly perturbed spirit! He's mostly complaining about how his mansion is always haunted by humans and how he just fixed that leak and how he's getting a restraining order. Funny stuff. There are two floors to the mansion, the bottom having 6 rooms while the top has 5, with the center room instead having a balcony overlooking the foyer. A Pokémon can take an action to move to another room vertically or horizontally, while one flying pokémon can fly up from the foyer to the second floor balcony without taking an action. The ghost, Phil, is only really there to complain. Water for certain rooms can only be found in the bathroom on the bottom floor, in the top left corner of the map.

Additional Rules: Phil must be acknowledged in every ref post or he kills everyone.

Back
Top Bottom