• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

A Survey of Favourite Things

You mean your teacher never pointed this stuff out to you? What kind of mad school did you go to?

well a) i went a catholic high school don't oppress me!!!1! b) i was kidding 8( good lord

I don't watch much TV or listen to much music.

Literature

Favourite Book: "The Landlady" by Roald Dahl (who cares if it's a short story)
Favourite Poet: Edgar Allen Poe
Favourite Poem: "The Raven"
Favourite Playwright: William Shakespeare =B
Favourite Play: Hamlet: Prince of Denmark
Favourite Comic (incl. manga): Rare Candy Treatment (do webcomics count?)

Games

Favourite Video Game: too many cannot decide
Favourite Traditional Game: Dungeons and Dragons
Favourite Video Game Series: Pokemon!
Favourite Game Studio: Nintendo, Game Freak

Miscellaneous

Favourite Colour: Orange
Favourite City: London
Favourite Animal: Horse
Favourite Season: Winter
Favourite Language: English, Japanese

Last edited:
Music

Favourite Artist: Linkin Park
Favourite Album: Hybrid Theory
Favourite Song: Hands Held High
Favourite Genre: Rock/Rap/Pop
Favourite Album Art: Meteora

Literature (I don't read much)

Favourite Author: Elizabeth Alder
Favourite Book: The King's Shadow
Favourite Series: Harry Potter (hehe)
Favourite Poet: Elinor Morton Wylie
Favourite Poem: Sea Lullaby
Favourite Comic (incl. manga): InuYasha

Film/TV

Favourite Live-Action Film: Elena Undone
Favourite Director: Nicole Conn
Favourite Live-Action TV Series: Sons of Anarchy
Favourite Animated TV Series: Invader Zim

Games

Favourite Video Game: Saints Row the Third
Favourite Video Game Series: Grand Theft Auto
Favourite Game Studio: Rockstar

Miscellaneous

Favourite Colour: Turquoise
Favourite City: San Francisco
Favourite Animal: Wolf
Favourite Season: Fall
Favourite Language: Russian

Music

(Does it have to be real music?)

Literature

Favourite Author: Chris d'Lacey
Favourite Book: Fire World - Chris d'Lacey
Favourite Series: The Last Dragon Chronicles/The Fire Series - Chris d'Lacey
(Don't really read poems, comics or plays)

Film/TV

Favourite Live-Action Film: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
(I don't really pay any attention to who directs films)
Favourite Animated Film: Pokemon: Manaphy and the Temple of the Sea
Favourite Live-Action TV Series: Doctor Who
Favourite Animated TV Series: The Amazing World of Gumball

Games

Favourite Video Game: Pokemon Black/White
Favourite Traditional Game: Chess, Snakes and Ladders
Favourite Video Game Series: Pokemon, Zelda, Sonic
Favourite Game Studio: Nintendo, Square Enix

Miscellaneous

Favourite Colour: Blue
Favourite City: Tokyo
Favourite Animal: Bird
Favourite Season: Spring
Favourite Language: Japanese

Music that isn't game music.
Video game music tends to have more artistic qualities than popular music does (i.e. art music vs popular music). What makes a movie soundtrack "real music" but not a video game soundtrack?

Last edited:
Define "pop" music and "artistic". I can name plenty of popular artists that are very artistic and are not famed for lip-synching at shows, you know ;)

Define "pop" music and "artistic". I can name plenty of popular artists that are very artistic and are not famed for lip-synching at shows, you know ;)
Musicologists use three super-categories for music: art, popular, and folk/traditional; it is not arbitrary terminology. Music can incorporate elements of multiple/all groups. Note that popular music as an idiom is irrelevant of whether the artist(s) in question is actually popular or not.

Music

Favourite Artist: Julia Nunes! I like Mika as well.
Favourite Album: Settle Down (Juliaaaa)
Favourite Song: Oh crikey um just now it's Asleep (The Smiths) because of Perks of Being a Wallflower but it changes day to day
Favourite Composer: Murray Gold
Favourite Genre: that one where people make noises
Favourite Album Art: idk The Boy Who Knew Too Much maybe

Literature

Favourite Author: John Green probably
Favourite Book: The Fault in Our Stars makes my heart hurt but is good too
Favourite Series: Harry Potter
Favourite Poet: I know a lot who are not my favourite
Favourite Poem: The Ning Nang Nong (hurr)
Favourite Playwright: uh
Favourite Play: can I say RENT and/or Wicked?
Favourite Comic (incl. manga): When Curiosity Met Insanity

Film/TV

Favourite Live-Action Film: Perks of Being a Wallflower at the moment
Favourite Director: er
Favourite Animated Film The Lion King, Beauty & the Beast, Tangled, Wall-E, Secret of the Kells I love everything okay
Favourite Live-Action TV Series: it was Doctor Who but it's getting a bit urrrh so Merlin!
Favourite Animated TV Series: MLP at the moment though I did just rewatch S1 of Digimon and ah so good

Games

Favourite Video Game: Pokemon Sapphire
Favourite Traditional Game: Monopoly, or cards
Favourite Video Game Series: Pokemon!
Favourite Game Studio: Nintendo

Miscellaneous

Favourite Colour: yellow
Favourite City: Cardiff (I have not visited many)
Favourite Animal: Tigers!
Favourite Season: Autumn/Summer when it's actually sunny
Favourite Language: English! It's the only one I understand, though French always sounds nice

Musicologists use three super-categories for music: art, popular, and folk/traditional; it is not arbitrary terminology. Music can incorporate elements of multiple/all groups. Note that popular music as an idiom is irrelevant of whether the artist(s) in question is actually popular or not.

That's still arbitrary as long as you don't say why musicologists picked those three as opposed to anything else. (They'll have a reason, I just don't know why).

I know, but it's still something you'd learn purely out of interest, rather than necessity, since pretty much everyone that speaks Irish can still speak English anyway.

I'll admit that I get discouraged by comments about it being useless or "what's the point, just learn spanish or something", which is why I added that comment in brackets.

If you had a girlfriend who had English as her second language, it mightn't be necessary for you to learn her first language, but it sure would be nice. All the Irish-speakers I know vastly prefer to speak to each other in Irish than in English because it's more natural to them. It's not just that it's what they were born with, the differences between languages can be so profound as to completely alter perception. I was never outstanding at Irish and it's been a long time since my peak but it's always been a radically different experience for me to think in Irish than in English - in fact, I find it far easier to think in Spanish, which I've only been learning for six years, than Irish, which I've been learning my whole life.

Also, anyone who thinks Irish is useless needs to look around a bit more - there's tons of money to be made in writing for Irish TV shows and movies, for example.

Music

Favourite Artist: Sister Hazel
Favourite Album: Fortress, Sister Hazel, followed closely by Release by the same band.
Favourite Song: It changes with the day. At moment of posting... erm. Starworshipper (Lenno Remix), by Futurecop!.
Favourite Composer: I am an uncultured slob.
Favourite Genre: Punk (from pop to hardcore), synthpop, and then a bunch of the out-of-nowhere ones (like the southern melodic rock of my favorite band, or zydeco for poorly-defined reasons)
Favourite Album Art: Our Hearts Still Beating, I Hate This Place

Literature

Favourite Author: H.P. Lovecraft, George Orwell
Favourite Book: 1984, George Orwell
Favourite Series: Harry Potter, and I have a soft spot for the Redwall books.
Favourite Poet: See uncultured slob comment from before.
Favourite Poem: See above.
Favourite Playwright: Uhrm.
Favourite Play: Does Broadway count? Rent and Next to Normal, if they do.
Favourite Comic (incl. manga): Manga-wise: Monster and Keroro Gunso. Western comics: The Life & Times of Scrooge McDuck, or just generally "disney's duck comics in general".

Film/TV

Favourite Live-Action Film: The Princess Bride
Favourite Director: Kubrick.
Favourite Animated Film: The Road To El Dorado
Favourite Live-Action TV Series: Doctor Who, Firefly
Favourite Animated TV Series: Rocko's Modern Life. And, uh, Digimon counts, right?

Games

Favourite Video Game: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Coming up after it are Pokemon Crystal and Black, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Sonic Adventure 2, and Jet Set Radio
Favourite Traditional Game: That would imply interaction with people.
Favourite Video Game Series: Pokemon, Sonic the hedgehog from Sonic Adventure 2 and earlier, Mario, and NiGHTS.
Favourite Game Studio: Look at how much I care.

Miscellaneous

Favourite Colour: Blue
Favourite City: San Francisco
Favourite Animal: Goats, rats, snakes, sharks, rabbits...
Favourite Season: Spring
Favourite Language: All of them. I find language in and of itself to be amazing so I can hardly choose just one (I only speak English, Spanish, and a tiny bit of french tho).

opal knows this, but just in case other people didn't - I'm no good at 'favourites' because my favourite anything is what I like/am thinking about right now. My favourite song is the one I'm listening to, my favourite food is the one I'm eating (except oh god that amazing hazelnut-chocolate cheesecake from the Rainbow Cafe)

Music

Favourite Artist: R.E.M. probably
Favourite Album: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (Flaming Lips)
Favourite Song: 1985 by Bowling for Soup :p
Favourite Composer:
Favourite Genre: I have no idea.
Favourite Album Art: I'm subbing this for Favourite Music Video and it's Of Monsters and Men's Little Talks and it's AMAZING.

Literature

Favourite Author: Virginia Woolf
Favourite Book: The World Unseen by Shamim Sarif
Favourite Series: Harry Potter :D
Favourite Poet: Edward Lear
Favourite Poem: This Be The Verse by Philip Larkin
Favourite Playwright:
Favourite Play: This one
Favourite Comic (incl. manga): Yotsuba/Azumanga Daioh

Film/TV

Favourite Live-Action Film: Varies massively depending on my mood. I'm always up for watching Hot Fuzz, V for Vendetta or Imagine Me & You, though.
Favourite Director: ?
Favourite Animated Film All that golden-age Disney stuff, plus the best of Miyazaki
Favourite Live-Action TV Series: Buffy and Doctor Who and The West Wing and WAREHOUSE 13 and The Sarah Jane Adventures and Blackadder and Ashes to Ashes and Community and Pushing Daisies and The Thick of It and Torchwood and Horrible Histories and Red Dwarf and MASH and Bad Girls and Parks and Recreation and so very many more.
Favourite Animated TV Series: Azumanga Daioh

Games

Favourite Video Game: Tales of Symphonia
Favourite Traditional Game: 7 Wonders (I totally beat Mhals and opal every time ahaha Giza)
Favourite Video Game Series: Pokemon
Favourite Game Studio: I don't know what this means, but maybe Nintendo

Miscellaneous

Favourite Colour: All of them/yellow
Favourite City: Teignmouth <3 (not a city, sshh)
Favourite Animal: All of them. Dinosaurs. Pikachus. I like things that are cuddly and/or vegetarian.
Favourite Season: I don't mind any as long as they don't go on for too long.
Favourite Language: English because I'm rubbish and that's the only one I can do. Specifically British English because I'm enjoying the u in all these favourites.

ETA: Thoughts on other people (I'm unemployed and have nothing better to do than judge you all)

opal: 'Favourite Playwright' 'Favourite Poet' OH YOU. I'm enjoying the 7 Wonders love.
Repo's getting an awful lot of love. I should rewatch it (it has Anthony Head, there are less good things I could do with my time) and Harry Potter, yay <3
When did Negrek start watching TWW? Isn't it GREAT?
I am very pleased that Tarvos still likes Frank Turner. Me and my sister love shouting along to his angry, angry songs more than I can say.
WUE you like many cool things, if I had a stamp of approval, you'd get one.
sovram likes Community AND Parks and Rec and that makes me happy like you wouldn't believe. You and I should team up and make everyone on the forum watch Community because they would love it. They don't realise how badly they need it.
Oh my goodness Articulate! uv, you're right, that's the best game ever. I used to play it all the time. The best was with my best friend who knows nothing about animals and described a gazelle to the room as 'a small pretty animal!' and couldn't elaborate.
Pathos come here and have all my hugs of agreement, you are so cool.
(everyone else is cool too)

Last edited:
Don't think I'm not on to your little game, Dannichu. Your happy, bubbly rainbow façade may have the others fooled, but I know that you currently have or have previously had piercings. I'm watching you.

:D <3 Dannichu! (ftr West Wing is in my second-favourites. I have an actual list. Community's also in my second-favourites, and Parks and Recreations is in my third. >_>) Also Kinova, your music taste is awesome.

Dannichu you are absolutely correct. Community is great and I really can't wait till the fourth season. also, I beseech you to please consider watching Adventure Time. all of you.

Don't think I'm not on to your little game, Dannichu. Your happy, bubbly rainbow façade may have the others fooled, but I know that you currently have or have previously had piercings. I'm watching you.

You keep threatening to expose me and I'll come after you in the middle of the night with a piercing gun. Or possibly, as I wrote just then, a pricing gun.

:D <3 Dannichu! (ftr West Wing is in my second-favourites. I have an actual list. Community's also in my second-favourites, and Parks and Recreations is in my third. >_>) Also Kinova, your music taste is awesome.

Hahaha, I'm so jealous of you for being able to do that - I am so very bad at ranking things, especially TV shows, because what makes good comedy is so different to what makes good drama, and I've got it in my head that drama is somehow 'better', and some shows I really like aren't really objectively that good (House, Merlin, Torchwood), and others are really great but I love them for the wrong reasons (my love of Warehouse 13 is evenly divided between 'excellent writing, characters and plot' and 'epic lesbian subtext').

Dannichu you are absolutely correct. Community is great and I really can't wait till the fourth season. also, I beseech you to please consider watching Adventure Time. all of you.

I'm a little nervous about S4 without Dan Harmon, but I love the cast so much I'd watch them do just about anything. I've only seen a little of Adventure Time, but I really enjoyed it. This, I think (assuming you haven't heard already), is extremely relevant to your interests :)

Back
Top Bottom