• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Abortion

Don't you think it's better to live in suffering than to not live at all?
No? If you don't live at all, you're not there to know what you're missing.

That's the thing. Potential isn't actually a thing; it only exists in your brain when you think about it. The fetus has potential, but it doesn't know it has potential. It doesn't care, and it doesn't care whether that potential is taken away from it. You say everyone deserves to get a chance, but at this stage there isn't anyone the chance can be denied to. You can argue nobody would choose no life over a tough life (though try to tell that to the suicidally depressed) all you like, but the only reason you can argue that is that you're imagining a somebody who is making the choice.

I wouldn't give a damn if I had been aborted as a fetus, because I would never have existed. It is most definitely not equivalent to killing me, the actual existent person with actual consciously realized potential and plans and attachments and thoughts.

But isn't that kind of like saying it's okay to brainwash people from a young age since they can't make choices for themselves yet and since once they're older they'll be brainwashed enough not to care?

there isn't anyone the chance can be denied to.

I really don't think it matters. Even if the entity doesn't exist yet, denying it the chance to exist and decide for itself if it wants to exist seems rather unethical.

And I would say potential is a thing. Sure, the idea of what potential is may exist only within your mind, but there is physical potential. In the fact that if the fetus isn't aborted or otherwise interfered with, then it will become a person in time.

I really don't think it matters. Even if the entity doesn't exist yet, denying it the chance to exist and decide for itself if it wants to exist seems rather unethical.

This seems dangerously close to saying that sex should be for making babies and making babies only, since every time someone uses a condom millions of potential babies go (sometimes literally) down the drain...

I'm in total agreement with Bachuru here. The reason you dislike the idea of being aborted is because you're already a person, a person with hopes and dreams and desires and a life. The foetus isn't. It doesn't even know it's a thing. It's most certainly not the same thing as killing me -- I know I'm a thing, and I'm a thing with tons and tons of plans and relationships and whatnot, so there would definitely be something lost there.

Minnow, you should read A Defense of Abortion by Judith Jarvis Thomson. It's an essay that starts with the premise that a foetus is a human being with all associated rights, then goes on to argue that abortion is ethically permissible anyway.

Otherwise, I agree with Harlequin - the foetus has 'potential', yes, but then so does sperm. So do the oocytes that are expelled during menstruation! Hell, so does practically every cell in your body, if you do the right things to it.

But isn't that kind of like saying it's okay to brainwash people from a young age since they can't make choices for themselves yet and since once they're older they'll be brainwashed enough not to care?
Then there is a concrete future person you're doing an injustice to by poisoning their life. If they never become a concrete person in the first place, you aren't doing an injustice to anyone.

But now you're again talking about denying something to an "entity" that doesn't actually exist. When you try to frame the problem you're inserting entities that keep having meaning in your mind even if you then try to tag them with "nonexistent", which I think is preventing you from seeing the problem properly for what it is. It's not a nonexistent entity; it just isn't an entity. You can only talk about an entity that doesn't exist yet if it will in fact exist, but if it never comes into existence it never was even an entity that didn't exist "yet".

And I would say potential is a thing. Sure, the idea of what potential is may exist only within your mind, but there is physical potential. In the fact that if the fetus isn't aborted or otherwise interfered with, then it will become a person in time.
But the fetus doesn't give a damn, because it's simply a cluster of cells made of chemicals reacting with one another as dictated by physics. There isn't a little tag on the fetus saying "This is going to become person 404509832498273509"; the only reason you even know it would become a person at all is indirectly.

If pure potential has rights, is it an injustice to (say) the potential gardener me who will never exist if I become a programmer instead? It's a potential entity and I'm denying it the chance to exist. How about potential not-liking-Pokémon me? Am I being cruel to all the potential future mes that will never exist because I chose not to become them?

Then there is a concrete future person you're doing an injustice to by poisoning their life. If they never become a concrete person in the first place, you aren't doing an injustice to anyone.

But now you're again talking about denying something to an "entity" that doesn't actually exist. When you try to frame the problem you're inserting entities that keep having meaning in your mind even if you then try to tag them with "nonexistent", which I think is preventing you from seeing the problem properly for what it is. It's not a nonexistent entity; it just isn't an entity. You can only talk about an entity that doesn't exist yet if it will in fact exist, but if it never comes into existence it never was even an entity that didn't exist "yet".

Emphasis mine. In the brainwashing analogy, you could say that the person, as a non-brainwashed person, never comes into existence because you interfered. You prevented someone from growing up naturally when they otherwise would have.

I would say that the entity/person will in fact exist, unless (the fetus is) otherwise messed with, in the same way that the entity of a normal future for a person will in fact exist, unless otherwise messed with through killing or brainwashing or any other thing.

But the fetus doesn't give a damn, because it's simply a cluster of cells made of chemicals reacting with one another as dictated by physics.

See, I don't think it matters if the fetus doesn't care. There's plenty of people that don't care about their future or themselves, but does that mean it's okay to kill all of them since they won't mind?

There isn't a little tag on the fetus saying "This is going to become person 404509832498273509"; the only reason you even know it would become a person at all is indirectly.

I'm not saying I agree with this idea, but couldn't one say that, from a purely deterministic perspective, that there essentially is a tag?

Otherwise, that makes sense, I suppose. But even if you don't know who or what might become of the fetus, you do know that, unchecked, it will become something.

If pure potential has rights, is it an injustice to (say) the potential gardener me who will never exist if I become a programmer instead? It's a potential entity and I'm denying it the chance to exist. How about potential not-liking-Pokémon me? Am I being cruel to all the potential future mes that will never exist because I chose not to become them?

I'm not really saying that pure potential has rights, more that it's better not to interfere with something before it does. It's kind of like minor's rights. People make life decisions for their child at a young age, discarding their input since 'they can't choose for themselves yet'. With the reasoning, partially, that once they're older they'll say they were glad the parents made the decision. Of course, they'll agree with the decision, since they haven't known anything else in their life. They'll never know what life would have been like had that decision not been made.

I don't know if that made sense, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around all this.

Harlequin said:
This seems dangerously close to saying that sex should be for making babies and making babies only, since every time someone uses a condom millions of potential babies go (sometimes literally) down the drain..

I hadn't thought about that... That's difficult, since if I say that the fetus has potential, then so does the younger fetus, then the zygote, etc.

I guess that one could say there's a much smaller chance of an individual sperm becoming a baby than an already growing fetus, but that seems contrived...

Maybe I'll say that, well, maybe you can't save every potential future, but why not try to save the ones you can? ie, the fetuses once they've begun growing. I know that's a weak argument, but I can't think of much better right now. I will say this though, that just because this is a valid point doesn't necessarily mean to me that it undermines the whole argument.

Harlequin said:
I'm in total agreement with Bachuru here. The reason you dislike the idea of being aborted is because you're already a person, a person with hopes and dreams and desires and a life. The foetus isn't. It doesn't even know it's a thing. It's most certainly not the same thing as killing me -- I know I'm a thing, and I'm a thing with tons and tons of plans and relationships and whatnot, so there would definitely be something lost there.

I don't particularly dislike the idea of being aborted. I agree, I wouldn't know any different. But it doesn't seem right to impose that decision on other people.

I've rethought it and I don't think I would say that denying the potential is equivalent to killing the person. After all, the person as a person is a collection of experiences and memories and emotions that would all be lost in death (for all we know, at least), as opposed to the fetus who doesn't have any of that. So I agree with you on that.

What everyone's saying makes sense, but I'm still not sure. I don't think that there should be any idea of the fetus having rights or wishing to be a person; that's a little silly. But I feel like as long as there's a person they could be, it's not within anybody else's rights to stop that from happening.

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on euthanasia?

If the doctor can be certain that there's no possible hope of normal life (eg, consciousness) once again, then euthanasia is fine. If the person is conscious but on life support or whatever, then that person can make that decision for themselves. I think that someone should always have the right to end their life if they wan't to. It just becomes murky once using up public resources gets involved.

If the doctor isn't sure whether the person could recover or not, and the person isn't conscious to make the decision, then it's a lot more complicated. Most of me wants to say, yeah keep them alive as long as there's a least a glimmer of hope. But a small bit of me says that they're draining resources and it's unlikely they'll survive anyway, and the doctor's would be much better used helping people more likely to recover. But that seems dangerously close to having the doctors decide for themselves who deserves to live and die.

Ideally, the obvious answer is to just have enough money and doctors to keep everybody with hope of recovery alive, but often that's just not the case.

I should have rephrased that. What I meant more was that it's not anybody else's decision to make. And that deciding to kill yourself, while still your decision, isn't necessarily a good decision.

This seems dangerously close to saying that sex should be for making babies and making babies only, since every time someone uses a condom millions of potential babies go (sometimes literally) down the drain...

Yes, sperm have the potential to become babies, but only after some very specific things happen.

I don't think it's fair to compare gametes and zygotes. Gametes, by themselves, will eventually die. Zygotes (provided they're in a uterus) will eventually form into a fetus.

Minnow, I share your frustration with abortion. It's one of the very few things I'm quite ambivalent about, even though I fall on the side of pro-choice atm.

Emphasis mine. In the brainwashing analogy, you could say that the person, as a non-brainwashed person, never comes into existence because you interfered. You prevented someone from growing up naturally when they otherwise would have.
But I'm not opposed to the brainwashing for the sake of the potential non-brainwashed person who will never exist (or I would be agonizing over not-liking-Pokémon me); I'm opposed to the brainwashing because of what has been done to the brainwashed person. In the case of abortion, yet again, there is no actual victim.

I would say that the entity/person will in fact exist, unless (the fetus is) otherwise messed with, in the same way that the entity of a normal future for a person will in fact exist, unless otherwise messed with through killing or brainwashing or any other thing.
But the "unless" is exactly it. If the fetus is aborted, the entity won't exist; the fact it would have if it hadn't been aborted no longer has any bearing on the future. You can meaningfully talk about hurting somebody that will exist if that person goes on to in fact exist and be hurt: the brainwashing results in an actual person living a damaged life, meaning harm comes to someone as a result of it. A fetus that is in fact aborted never becomes a someone who is harmed by the act.

See, I don't think it matters if the fetus doesn't care. There's plenty of people that don't care about their future or themselves, but does that mean it's okay to kill all of them since they won't mind?
I was using "doesn't give a damn" as shorthand for "doesn't exist and therefore can't even in theory have an opinion on or a stake in the matter either way", not to mean the ordinary sense of not caring about something (which implies an existent mind considering itself indifferent).

I'm not saying I agree with this idea, but couldn't one say that, from a purely deterministic perspective, that there essentially is a tag?

Otherwise, that makes sense, I suppose. But even if you don't know who or what might become of the fetus, you do know that, unchecked, it will become something.
I was mainly using that to illustrate that the future person the fetus would become isn't already there and attached to the fetus somehow, waiting to emerge: they are truly nonexistent. In this sense, potential is not a "thing".

I'm not really saying that pure potential has rights, more that it's better not to interfere with something before it does. It's kind of like minor's rights. People make life decisions for their child at a young age, discarding their input since 'they can't choose for themselves yet'. With the reasoning, partially, that once they're older they'll say they were glad the parents made the decision. Of course, they'll agree with the decision, since they haven't known anything else in their life. They'll never know what life would have been like had that decision not been made.
Yet again, once we get to minors we are talking about actual existing people. I don't believe it is the nonexistent potential other person who matters here; it is the actual child who has been deprived of a choice.

I think you think about this issue a lot differently than I do. My moral system is very grounded in the idea of actual individuals being harmed, so abstract ideas like robbing potential people of the chance to exist seem pretty morally absurd to me, even though they make sense to you, and that might be the key disagreement between us here.

Yes, sperm have the potential to become babies, but only after some very specific things happen.

I don't think it's fair to compare gametes and zygotes. Gametes, by themselves, will eventually die. Zygotes (provided they're in a uterus) will eventually form into a fetus.

Minnow, I share your frustration with abortion. It's one of the very few things I'm quite ambivalent about, even though I fall on the side of pro-choice atm.

Zygotes have the potential to become individuals, after some very specific things happen. How much do you know about animal development? It is by no means clear sailing after fertilisation. In fact the only difference between gametes and zygotes is fertilisation. I grant you that any particular sperm has a fairly low chance of fusing with an oocyte, but that's not the case with the oocytes. Only one (usually) comes to maturation every cycle, and that is one step away from being a zygote. Why do those not matter?

Also, you say gametes by themselves will eventually die. Then in the next sentence you say zyogotes provided they're in a uterus will live. Why are you applying different standards? Zygotes will die on their own, too!

Zygotes have the potential to become individuals, after some very specific things happen. How much do you know about animal development? It is by no means clear sailing after fertilisation. In fact the only difference between gametes and zygotes is fertilisation. I grant you that any particular sperm has a fairly low chance of fusing with an oocyte, but that's not the case with the oocytes. Only one (usually) comes to maturation every cycle, and that is one step away from being a zygote. Why do those not matter?

I'm looking at this from a purely fundamental perspective. Yes, the only difference between gametes (sperm or ovocytes) and zygotes is fertilization, but that's one hell of a difference. Without fertilization, there is a 0% chance of a fetus; with fertilization, there is a chance for a fetus (don't know the percentage).

Also, you say gametes by themselves will eventually die. Then in the next sentence you say zyogotes provided they're in a uterus will live. Why are you applying different standards? Zygotes will die on their own, too!

Okay.

In the uterus, gametes have a zero percent chance of becoming a fetus and will eventually die.
In the uterus, zygotes have a chance of not dying and becoming a fetus.

Everyone's focusing on the embryo/foetus when really, the mother is at the centre of the issue. Whether or not the unborn child is a person or not, whether it has rights or not... none of that really matters. What matters is that the mother, for whatever reason, doesn't want it inside of her. Even if the foetus had thoughts, dreams and hopes of its own and were capable of communicating them to the outside world, it would have no right to reside in anyone's body without permission.

I'm looking at this from a purely fundamental perspective. Yes, the only difference between gametes (sperm or ovocytes) and zygotes is fertilization, but that's one hell of a difference. Without fertilization, there is a 0% chance of a fetus; with fertilization, there is a chance for a fetus (don't know the percentage).

You're attaching an artificially large importance to fertilisation. It's important for lots of reasons, yes, but there are other steps too. I could say "before implantation a blastocyst has 0% chance of becoming a foetus, after implantation it has a non-zero chance". It's an equivalent statement. Why are you ignoring the chance of fertilisation? An oocyte has a non-zero chance of being fertilised (and thus developing into a foetus). A zygote also has a non-zero chance of developing into a foetus. Yes, it's higher for the zygote. But it is by no means as absolute as people like to think it is.

MD: That is roughly what A Defense of Abortion argues! And I keep telling people to read it but no one ever does. :(

Everyone's focusing on the embryo/foetus when really, the mother is at the centre of the issue. Whether or not the unborn child is a person or not, whether it has rights or not... none of that really matters. What matters is that the mother, for whatever reason, doesn't want it inside of her. Even if the foetus had thoughts, dreams and hopes of its own and were capable of communicating them to the outside world, it would have no right to reside in anyone's body without permission.

With the way you're wording this, it sounds like you're blaming the child for everything. The evolutionary purpose for sex is to reproduce (please note that I said evolutionary) and that if one get's pregnant on accident, it is their fault, and is no way the unborn child's fault. I'm pro-choice by the way.

Actually, no one knows what the evolutionary purpose of sex is. It's probably the greatest unanswered question in evolutionary biology.

Conjugation /is/ sex. There's also transduction and transformation. The question is, why is sexual reproduction so widespread among animals (rotifers excluded)? It increases the rate of evolution, yes, but it also allows deleterious genotypes to crop up a lot more frequently. No one is quite sure what the answer is.

Back
Top Bottom