• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Abortion

To be fair, a flame also fits that definition. Are you saying fire is alive?

A fetus is hardly alive. In fact, when you take it from the womb, it dies. It's completely dependant on the mother for about eight months, maybe seven, before it has a chance of living independantly. It's more, to quote Blue Dragon, "engaged in living."

Edit: Tags = awesome. :)

Holy christ using dictionary definitions for a concept scientists can't agree on is a great idea guys.

No, it doesn't.

Whee! *jumps into the arguement*

personally believe that abortions should be legalised, and kept legal everywhere. Some people may not feel ready to have a baby, and it should be their choice whether to have a child or not. Personally, the world is already addles with enough human waste as it is, and there's not much point in allowing more to come out. A fetus isn't a human child, it's just a bundle of developing cells. There's probably more chance of it becoming influenced and becoming a delinquent than there is of it being a life-saving genius.

Furthermore, a child might have been detected to have had a mental disorder, and therefore the parent may feel incapable of looking after a disabled child. What happens if this person has to have the child, and then ends up losing half of their life because they have to look after the special needs of their child? I personally don't see why this person should have to have gone through all the trouble, plus it benefits the child as it doesn't have to live being different to everyone else.

A fetus is hardly alive. In fact, when you take it from the womb, it dies. It's completely dependant on the mother for about eight months, maybe seven, before it has a chance of living independantly. It's more, to quote Blue Dragon, "engaged in living."

Edit: Tags = awesome. :)

The womb is the suitable environment for the fetus. By such logic, you could say a fish isn't alive- you take it from the water and it dies. Besides, how can something that isn't alive die? Contradiction much?

Why should humans be valued more than any other lifeform. It's because we ourselves are human, isn't it?

No shit? I repeat, this line of thought leads nowhere. If you decided to give every other lifeform the same rights as humans, we would starve.

Also, we are the only sapient species on the planet. Surely that makes us slightly special?

By such logic, you could say a fish isn't alive- you take it from the water and it dies.

But a fish is not dependent on another living being for everything.

Besides, how can something that isn't alive die? Contradiction much?

Hah. You're right!

No shit? I repeat, this line of thought leads nowhere. If you decided to give every other lifeform the same rights as humans, we would starve.

I agree. Not only would we starve, we wouldn't be moving, either.

When you get a cut and put Neosporin on it, you're killing bacteria. They're alive.

When you walk down the street, you crush insects crawling on the ground. They're alive.

When a woman throws herself down a staircase because abortions are illegal, her neck breaks. She's alive.

Abortion FTW. ^_^

wow how did I miss that

reproduction requires that a new individual organism is created. obviously this is not the case with cell duplication.

edit: but yes of course a foetus is alive.

Inevitble is inevitible. I don't like the fact, but I kinda want to live you know.
Isn't it hypocritical that you want everything to live yet indirectly kill it as a food source and then lecture us on not killing foetuses for fun and profit.

Sometimes.

Science disagrees.
I've yet to read a report that states 'PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE INTERCOURSE FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN REPRODUCTION' unless you're pulling your sources from Conservative scientists in which case I will ignore everything you say.

Not always, no.
No, depriving someone who has a sex drive from sex is always unhealthy. Look at those darling priests playing hide-the-sausage with choir boys because they bottle up their sexual frustration, for example.

Learn to read, thanks. You could also consult a dictionary for the word: exception.
Just taking things as literally as you are.

That's mature of you.
Using swear words to take out irritation = immaturity? Since when?

Yeah because that happens every single time.
What world do you live in where rape never impregnates a woman or where a woman who gets raped doesn't mind.

Fetuses can't think and don't do anything useful. Aborting a fetus before a person has the chance to form is okay for the same reasons avoiding pregnancy before a person has the chance to form is okay.

People on life support can't think or do anything useful. That doesn't make killing them right. My best friend's brother can't speak, act on more than monosylabic commands and will never do anything to contribute to society. However, he's got just as much right to live as I do.

Someone on life support only has a chance of ever recovering and regaining conciousness and usefulness. A severely mentally disabled person will never be able to function normally. A foetus has a much greater chance of eventually gaining those things.

Killing for food is different as I've kinda implied in previous posts but apparently people are too thick to notice.

Also, we are the only sapient species on the planet. Surely that makes us slightly special?

Yeah, and we're gonna screw ourselves someday.

But a fish is not dependent on another living being for everything.

Are you telling me that a tapeworm isn't living?

Take it off its host and holy crap get this it dies.

Hah. You're right!

I agree. Not only would we starve, we wouldn't be moving, either.

When you get a cut and put Neosporin on it, you're killing bacteria. They're alive.

When you walk down the street, you crush insects crawling on the ground. They're alive.

When a woman throws herself down a staircase because abortions are illegal, her neck breaks. She's alive.

Abortion FTW. ^_^

I want to say so much to you right now, but I won't, I don't exactly want to get banned.

Cell division is how we grow, not how we reproduce.

IIRC That's a form of reproduction but hey I could be wrong

wow how did I miss that

reproduction requires that a new individual organism is created. obviously this is not the case with cell duplication.

And bacteria reproduction isn't merely cell divison?

edit: but yes of course a foetus is alive.

I don't see how it's not.

Depends on who's the one on life support. If he has a chance of recover, keep him going. If he's a vegitable, pull the plug, he's just taking up resources.

But then, that's off topic.

Look at those darling priests playing hide-the-sausage with choir boys because they bottle up their sexual frustration, for example.

That is a win-quote. ^_^

I want to say so much to you right now, but I won't, I don't exactly want to get banned.

Then bring it in a PM. Come on!

Are you telling me that a tapeworm isn't living?

Take it off its host and holy crap get this it dies

Tapeworm = parasite that you may not want.
Fetus = parasite that you may not want.
:O

Because one needs food to live? That's a justifyable means in my book.

(And before you throw "but what about when the woman's in danger!?!" I've already said that's also a justifyable exception)

binary fission != mitosis
*shrug* Not going to argue, but you did agree that a fetus is life, and that's what I was trying to support, so any other arguement is moot.

EDIT:

Then bring it in a PM. Come on!

Read the rules, dammit.

Tapeworm = parasite that you may not want.
Fetus = parasite that you may not want.
:O

Aww, thanks! You supported my arguement!

Back
Top Bottom