• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Abortion

By saying pregnancy is a punishment, then by that logic, you dehumanize the child. And if the child is little more than punishment, it's not a person, and so aborting it IS NOT MURDER.

Being forced to look after annoying cousins is punishment. I'm still pretty sure I'd get done if I killed them, though.

No, because a miscarriage is totally different. It's an accidental death.

It's not a punishment; it's a responsibility to ensure the fetus's survival into birth. You're responsible for its existence; you don't get to just absolve yourself of that responsibility.

No, because a miscarriage is totally different. It's an accidental death.

... That's what manslaughter is, the accidental or unintentional killing of someone, meanwhile murder is the intentional killing of someone.

Considering miscarriages are also known as spontaneous abortions I don't see how it's at all different. Both types of abortion, spontaneous or intentional, end with the foetus being terminated, so I ask you again, with this new knowledge in hand; would you consider a miscarriage as manslaughter?

How should one define killing? The mother's body has a part in the miscarriage, but not the mother's mind. She doesn't even press the proverbial switch which would cause the death most of the time, so...

It's the same with manslaughter. The person's body has a part in the accidental death of the victem, but his mind is not saying "Kill that guy!" It's totally accidental. Just like a miscarriage.

BUT in manslaughter, the mind usually is controling the body, causing the action which causes the accidental death. Miscarriage is reflexive; it's not at all controlled.

Being forced to look after annoying cousins is punishment. I'm still pretty sure I'd get done if I killed them, though.

May I just say that your signature perfectly compliments that statement?

"I'm having delusions of grandeur"

Whether it's miscarriage of abortion, they still get rid of the child, one way or another. If someone were somehow able to invent something which could predict miscarriages, unless there is already a device like this, then an abortion would be a good thing. It'd much be like putting down an animal, too ill to live.

Last edited:
In some cases, manslaughter can be reflexive.

SORRY STABBING YOU IN THE FACE WAS A COMPLETE ACCIDENT

It doesn't even think yet. Killing a fetus is no worse than killing a weed. Abortion is fine, although (in most cases) the mother should have avoided sex if she really didn't want a child.

My god, I am such a great person for comparing fetuses to weeds. :D

I personally don't think anyone has the right to say that ABORTION IS MURDER DONT DO IT D: because you're not in their situation.

Pro-choice, baby.

Just out of plain curiosity to our pro-lifers; if abortion is murder does that make a miscarriage manslaughter?

oy, off my analogies

in the same vein, though:

re: abortion is murder

What do you think the penalty for having an unlawful abortion should be? I'm sure you'll agree that with this most heinous crime, the only correct solution is a very heavy prison sentence - perhaps even life imprisonment! - and, let me tell you, only my extreme aversion to the death penalty keeps me from suggesting it. That'll teach those murderous mothers!

In my opinion, abortion isn't murder. It's getting rid of an unborn child. If it's unborn, it can't be alive as it's dependant on the mother still for air, food and everything else it need to be provided with through the placenta, therefore it's not killing as it isn't living. It's more like an additional organ that separates and becomes another being. Until then, I don't consider it as alive.

re: abortion is murder

What do you think the penalty for having an unlawful abortion should be? I'm sure you'll agree that with this most heinous crime, the only correct solution is a very heavy prison sentence - perhaps even life imprisonment! - and, let me tell you, only my extreme aversion to the death penalty keeps me from suggesting it. That'll teach those murderous mothers!

o_O Are you joking? Life imprsonment for killing a little cell that doesn't even know it exists?

I also agree with The Quicker Picker-Uperer :)

sarcasm fail

Crazy Weavile said:
BUT in manslaughter, the mind usually is controling the body, causing the action which causes the accidental death. Miscarriage is reflexive; it's not at all controlled.

I don't think you've learned what an 'accident' is.

How should one define killing?

If you have no idea what killing is, why are you arguing?

Crazy Weavile said:
The mother's body has a part in the miscarriage, but not the mother's mind.

That is effectively what manslaughter is:
An act of killing a human being unlawfully but not willfully.
(from Wiktionary)

Crazy Weavile said:
She doesn't even press the proverbial switch which would cause the death most of the time, so...

So you press the proverbial switch when you run over someone when you drive under the influence?

If everyone were gay, humans would die out, therefore being gay is wrong.
If everyone were sterile, humans would die out, therefore being sterile is wrong.
If everyone were celibate, humans would die out, therefore being celibate is wrong.
If everyone were male, humans would die out, therefore being male is wrong.

If everyone were dead, humans would have died out, therefore dying is wrong.

Last edited:
My stance on it is, while I don't necessarily believe it's the best choice, people ARE gonna do it, and it should be legal so it can at least be safe for the mother.

And I know this can/probably is going to be turned around on me. Since someone can easily say "Well then shouldn't murder be legalized so it's safe for the murderer"

You know what I meant. Right?

Back
Top Bottom