• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ASB Rules

Well it depends if both abilities (original and sig) are mediocre-balanced generally they keep both but if the pokémon gains an ability considered really good (Im thinking levitate, volt absorb, things like that) well usually they forget their original ability.

I think the alteration to DW ability shouldnt be counted as a body mod as it is DIFFERENT for a "sig ability"

I'm essentially going to give my Baltoy the Sand Stream ability, but that doesn't mean he'll suddenly stop levitating inherently. Just because you give your pokemon additional powers doesn't mean they must lose the ones they have.

balance descibes something akin to fairness of power distribution. making things different because they are different doesn't really have much to do with balance.

I was saying that DW abilities are more balanced (or just less powerful) than Abilities confered by Signature attributes because they erase the previous ability.

For that reason, Dream World ability changes should'nt be considered as a body modification like sig attributes or attached parts (Wings, reactors, etc).

That was my point and i do agree that my thoughts are more often than not confused.

Also, 100th post hell yeah.

With the 'Dex Registry closed, what do we do to submit fakemon? I have two completed battles now so I'd like to get mine approved.

Or has that feature been removed?

One way or the other, if I recall correctly, even in the games, you don't get a Dream World ability without getting a Pokemon that has it in the first place, so, I'm guessing that this evolutionary ability change won't stretch to include Dream World abilities.
You are correct.

Well it depends if both abilities (original and sig) are mediocre-balanced generally they keep both but if the pokémon gains an ability considered really good (Im thinking levitate, volt absorb, things like that) well usually they forget their original ability.

I think the alteration to DW ability shouldnt be counted as a body mod as it is DIFFERENT for a "sig ability"
If you want your pokémon to be able to use its Dream World ability, make it a sig attribute. This is different than a business that changes the ability to a Dream World one because you have to give up a modification slot in addition rather than money to get the ability.

If that addresses your concern. I'm having some trouble figuring out what you're talking about, but it's very early here.

With the 'Dex Registry closed, what do we do to submit fakemon? I have two completed battles now so I'd like to get mine approved.

Or has that feature been removed?
It's closed until I figure out what to do about fakemon. It will be a while.

Okay! The release of the fifth generation coincides with some pretty large alterations to how I'm running things around here. First of all, of course, is the fifth generation itself--all fifth-generation pokémon can now be bought and used in battle, fifth-generation attacks and abilities have been added to the appropriate guide, and fifth-generation items should be appearing in shops shortly.

Other than that, probably the most obvious change is the hack that now underwrites a lot of the team management you're likely to do, as well as basic buying of pokémon and items. Your ASB Control Panel is accessible through a link at the bottom of the forums (near the "Contact Us" and "The Cave of Dragonflies" links), and you can use it to rearrange your team, change pokémon's nicknames, move items around, and buy new pokémon and items. All your pokémon should be in there, but no doubt there were many errors in getting them loaded, so please post in the hack discussion thread with any changes that need to be made. That thread also contains further information about the hack--known problems with it and so on--and you can suggest changes to be made to it as well. Many thanks to everyone who helped beta test it.

There are a variety of rules changes that are being made as well, both directly as a result of the hack and for other reasons. These are the primary rules changes that you should know about. For further details, see the first posts of the various threads they relate to.

- The Pokémon Registration Office is primarily just for signature moves and attributes now
- Unless you are a referee and once I get automated allowance working, you will rarely use the bank
- You are no longer required to keep up a profile. Members of ASB now have an "ASB" tab in their user profile that shows their active squad, boxed pokémon, and item inventory. You also don't need to link profiles to challenges anymore since everyone knows how to find yours and can do so easily
- The computer terminal is no longer used. All team management takes place in your ASB Control Panel
- You can now sell pokémon back to the Black Market if you just want to get rid of them
- The way and amount that referees are paid has changed
- Referees can no longer be demoted, not that I actually enforced that for more than a couple of months anyway
- I lied about not changing the way feebas evolves. It can still evolve through happiness, or you can use the new prism scale item on it

More will be coming in the following weeks, including new damage/energy scales. Further updates will be posted in this thread as they occur.

You may also have noticed that the 'Dex Registry has been locked. I'm going to be overhauling the fakemon creation/approval system, but not for a while--it's not high on my list of priorities. You can still use any fakemon that have already been approved, but I won't be taking any new submissions until I've worked out how I want to handle them. I'll open up a discussion on that at some later date.

Finally, I've begun updating the attack and ability guides with changes to old moves that occurred in the fifth generation. I still haven't done the sweeping revision of the guide that I intend to yet, but below is what's changed so far. Further updates will be posted in the Attack and Ability Guide thread as they occur.

- Feint works even if the target doesn't user protect/detect
- Heal bell now works on soundproof pokémon
- Magic coat now bounces whirlwind, roar, disable, spite, spikes, foresight, encore, torment, taunt, odor sleuth, magical eye, embargo, heal block, toxic spikes, defog, and stealth rock
- Pokémon with klutz can't use fling
- Explosion and selfdestruct no longer halve the defense of their targets
- Storm drain and lightningrod now make pokémon that have them immune to water/electric attacks, and their special attack rises if they get hit by the same
- Pickup now gains copies of items that are consumed or flung during battle
- Stench now causes enemies to sometimes flinch on contact
- Leaf guard prevents a pokémon with it from using rest while sunny day is in effect
- Encore and taunt both last exactly three actions
- Tail glow raises the user's special attack three levels
- Tailwind lasts four actions
- Uproar lasts for exactly three actions, and its base power is 90
- Growth now raises attack as well as special attack, and both are raised by two levels when strong sunlight is in effect

Last edited:
Quick note for when you update the flying/hovering lists, etc. to include Gen V pokémon: you seem to have forgotten to list yanmega anywhere. I assume it's inherently flying like yanma?

I was wondering about the disqualification times: do they apply to the players only or the ref too?

I was wondering about the disqualification times: do they apply to the players only or the ref too?

It applies to the ref too, but it takes more time and effort to write up a whole reffing than to give a few commands, so the general consensus is that it's polite for people to be a little lenient with their refs. If the ref misses the DQ by a significant amount of time, post in the Emergency Referee Outpost (stickied thread on the main ASB forum) and eventually an emergency ref will come, but that may also take awhile.

Back
Top Bottom