• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ASB Rules

Does it matter what real lamps do? Lampent and chandelure are very clearly shown to levitate in their in-game sprites, as well as in the animé as far as I'm aware (lampent anyway, since iirc chandelure hasn't appeared yet). Litwick is not. It's really not that complicated.

You know what doesn't hover? Coils, landmines, computer programs, shed cicada skins, stones, clay dolls, cloth dolls, chimes, hockey masks, bells, ancient mirrors, carnivorous plants, ice cones, heavily armoured bugs, gears, lampreys (thank goodness), not heavily armoured bugs and snowflakes.

And yet that covers the majority of the inherently hovering Pokemon we have listed.

It really comes down to this:
Lampent and chandelure are very clearly shown to levitate in their in-game sprites, as well as in the animé as far as I'm aware (lampent anyway, since iirc chandelure hasn't appeared yet). Litwick is not. It's really not that complicated.

should hydreigon not get at least the vibrava/flygon of both inherent hover and consensual flight, with its levitate ability and the ability to learn fly?
I hadn't realized it was like that. Sure.

You forgot yanmega again.
I am prejudiced against monster dragonflies. Water weasels are better.

Actually, lampent and chandelure should probably be consensually hovering, in the same boat as staryu and bronzor (not-levitate edition).

Slightly updated list; it now features shiny correct spelling.

Well, Cofagrigus has ostensibly been shown to have an ability to "suck itself in" in order to look like a sarcophagus; I think that counts as partial phasing, albeit a minor sort.

Should abra be consensually hovering? Because, well, it has been seen to levitate.

Last edited:
Doduo and Dodrio are highly adept at jumping, hence them being able to learn Fly (Sky Jump in Japanese), but they probably shouldn't be able to fly.

Would Yamask and Cofagrigus be listed under cannot phase completely, due to thier mask and sarcophagus rescpectivley?
Yes, those two can't phase completely. I haven't update the list of ghost phasers yet.

Isn't Munna inherently hovering?

I mean, look at the ingame sprite; it's pretty clearly floating.
Not all pokémon that float/fly around a lot are considered inherently hovering/flying. Typically I only include pokémon in those categories if it appears they would have a lot of trouble moving on the ground--greatly reduced or no legs, for example. Munna and musharna have limbs; I think they'd be fine.

How could Doduo and Dodrio fly?

Also why is Dragonite Consensually Flying?
Doduo and dodrio can both learn the attack fly, so they are considered consensually flying. Presumably they do so the same way they do in the anime--jumping really high. From there I suppose they glide or something.

Dragonite can fly but is usually ground-bound.

Should abra be consensually hovering? Because, well, it has been seen to levitate.
All psychics can levitate if they need to; the ones listed as consensually hovering are the ones who appear to be more adept at it for one reason or another. Abra can still hover; it will just need to spend more energy to do so than a consensually hovering pokémon, and it will be less adept at doing so.

When we evolve a Numel or Tyrogue, do we get to choose its evolved forms ability, or is it dependent on what ability we have for the base form?

Back
Top Bottom