• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Attacks and Abilities Guide

If a pokemon was put to sleep by a move like hypnosis or yawn (but not rest) could it hypothetically chill in their sleep instead of using snore or sleep talk to conserve energy?

Most people do that when they don't want to Snore or Sleep Talk. You can also let your pokémon do nothing.

If a Pokémon has used up all its three actions for the round in the first action, and it's Taunted, does it do nothing on the next two actions or does it Struggle?

If an opponent uses Faint Attack, but cannot see the target, as in the target being invisible, would the attack still hit?

And how much energy is consumed staying invisible?

...Let's say a pokémon enters the field, and it has the ability Trace. If its opponent has two abilities at the time (ex. its original ability plus Levitate from having used Magnet Rise), does the one with Trace inherit both of the abilities or just the original ability?

Can a pokémon use Agility and Substitute while flying (I mean under the effects of Fly)? Also, how much additional energy does it costs per action to stay "Up"? Do the said moves cost additional energy?

Additional energy costs for consensually flying/hovering Pokémon are up to the ref; the Rules guide doesn't say it, at least.

I'd think about 1-2%/action, though.

Using the move Fly, though, is a whole different story; I'm not so sure about that (is flying down after staying up for a while still an attack?).

Confused about pluck and bug bite. Why don't they have the same effect (i.e. pluck doubles damage, destroys items and consumes berries while bug bite only destroys items)? Is that intentional? Also, I'm pretty sure that "double damage if target is holding a berry" is not an effect either move actually has. Neither Bulbapedia nor Smogon say they have any such effect, anyway.

As with the games, would a Pokémon using Earthquake and Magnitude be able to strike an opposing Pokémon that is currently underground (digging)? And I remember these attacks doing double damage if they hit a digging Pokémon, although I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly.

Last edited:
As with the games, would a Pokémon using Earthquake and Magnitude be able to strike an opposing Pokémon that is currently underground (digging)? And I remember these attacks doing double damage if they hit a digging Pokémon, although I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly.

Yes and yes.

okay so does that mean they would be hopelessly stuck to each other? what does that mean in the way of them attacking each other, with say, Thunder Wave?
No. If you look at the description of the magnet pull ability, you'll see it has nothing to do with them being hopelessly stuck to one another, unless one of the pokémon is specifically commanded to pull in the opponent. It has no implications for their attacks unless, again, they end up stuck together by command, at which point limitations would vary but center on the problem of attacks like thunder hitting both of them while they were stuck together or their limbs being in awkward positions such that they wouldn't be able to use some physical attacks.

I think this should be will not
Fixed.

MoThErFuCkInG mIrAcLeS, bRoThEr

How would Pull'd Pokemon use, say, physical moves?
If they can't move their arms/legs/other appendages properly to hit the opponent with them, they wouldn't be able to use their physical moves.

...okay, I have a bunch of questions pertaining to this one battle I'm in--

1) If your current Pokemon is taunted, can it use the accuracy boosting abilities of Double Team in a combo? (ie Double Team (accuracy) + DynamicPunch)

2) Can a Pokemon use Faint Attack to negate the poor accuracy of a move like Dynamicpunch?

3) Can Sucker Punch be used in combination with an actual punching move? Or to get up to a Pokemon and attack at point blank range?

4) Can a Pokemon that has two hands use two punching moves in combo? Or two of the same move in combination?
1) Yes, but only if you can come up with an attacking move that combines well with double team. Something like fire punch would probably be okay, but dynamicpunch, no. Dynamicpunch does not go well with anything requiring movement, especially swift movement.

2) Faint attack can be used to negate the accuracy problems of a move that it is combined with, but that move would need to logically combine well with faint attack, i.e. not be dynamicpunch.

3) Yes to both.

4) Probably, if they were both weak punching moves.

If a Pokémon has used up all its three actions for the round in the first action, and it's Taunted, does it do nothing on the next two actions or does it Struggle?
If it's used up its three actions for the round, then it's done for the round. It has no more actions. Therefore, it does not struggle or do nothing; it has no more actions.

Are there specific Special moves that can hit an underground foe?
Magnitude, earthquake, and bulldoze will all hit pokémon underground at double their normal power.

If an opponent uses Faint Attack, but cannot see the target, as in the target being invisible, would the attack still hit?

And how much energy is consumed staying invisible?
Faint attack won't be unerring against invisible opponents because it works by attacking the target unexpectedly. If the target can't be found, no attack can be made. "Homing" never-miss attacks, like aura sphere and magical leaf, as well as "scattered" never-miss attacks, like shock wave and swift, work as well as ever against invisible opponents.

As stated in the ASB Rules:

It costs a ghost 1% per action to remain invisible.

...Let's say a pokémon enters the field, and it has the ability Trace. If its opponent has two abilities at the time (ex. its original ability plus Levitate from having used Magnet Rise), does the one with Trace inherit both of the abilities or just the original ability?

Confused about pluck and bug bite. Why don't they have the same effect (i.e. pluck doubles damage, destroys items and consumes berries while bug bite only destroys items)? Is that intentional? Also, I'm pretty sure that "double damage if target is holding a berry" is not an effect either move actually has. Neither Bulbapedia nor Smogon say they have any such effect, anyway.
They should be the same, and now are.

Additional energy costs for consensually flying/hovering Pokémon are up to the ref; the Rules guide doesn't say it, at least.

I'd think about 1-2%/action, though.

Using the move Fly, though, is a whole different story; I'm not so sure about that (is flying down after staying up for a while still an attack?).
Staying aloft takes about 1% per action. Flying down after staying up for a while is still an attack, yes, unless you have an inherently hovering pokémon that is not using the descent as an attack.

Ok. If a pokemon that has Levitate is instructed to float higher than normal (to escape direct contact attacks) does it cost extra energy for each round it stays higher than normal?

Would Thunder be attracted to a Pokemon with Magnet Pull?
That's not how lightning rods work.

Basically, lightning is a discharge from a cloud to the ground that uses the most convenient available conductor. "The most convenient" being the pointiest and closest to the cloud. This is why standing under a tree during a big storm is a bad idea -- branches are pointy and trees can act as conductors, so, any lightning has a good chance to strike there.

Also, a question of my own. We don't have charging turns in this league, but, if we did, and if somebody started charging on the last action of a round, would that person be forced to open the next round with the fully-charged Solarbeam?

Last edited:
Substitute the way it's normally reffed (as opposed to the way I usually ref it with the user actually leaving play) doesn't do a particularly effective job of avoiding sound-based moves, right? Specifically, you can't use one to attempt to avoid flinching from something like snore? I'm sure the answer's that you can't but please say you can

Back
Top Bottom