• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ATTN: Introductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuu

printf("%s\n", user_title);
hello! welcome to the new all-purpose general introductions thread!

what is this you ask? simple! instead of the creation of short-lived, pointless threads, new members can simply make a single post here, and people interested in contacting them can PM them! this could drastically cut down spam in the forum as well as make the forum generally prettier and less crappy.

EXAMPLE said:
hey! my name is newmember01, and I'm interested in things such as x, y, and z. I'll probably be spending a lot of time in the ________ forum because I like that sort of thing. PM me if you'd like to get to know me better!

so for what are you waiting? go for it, sports!

---

OTHER GUIDELINES:

1. try to maintain a good signal:noise ratio. there's no point in reading through "=^_____^= desu kawaii I like anime!!! meep xDDD", people will probably appreciate it if you just cut it down to "I like anime!"
1a. I'm not saying emoticons aren't allowed, but keep them from being obnoxious.
1b. :3c

2. I haven't seen this much, but try to avoid including a lot of pictures in your introductions post. it's kind of silly, and really says nothing about you.

3. try to use proper spelling and grammar - this is really a general rule, but it is good for giving a good impression and making friends. also, try not to abuse line breaks.

I AM TIRED BUT I WILL UPDATE THIS AS I SEE FIT

Don't they have something like this on Pokecommunity?

Generally, I see this as a good idea. Maybe this will be stickied?

(maybe something saying try to actually make a /welcoming/ post instead of some idiotic thing about welcome mats and hotels and shit?)

bbbbbbreaction.png

new members aren't even viewing it...

The flaw may lie in the fact that the introductions forum still exists, period. If intro threads bother you that much, petition Butterfree to kill the forum and have this thread stickied someplace else.

The flaw may lie in the fact that the introductions forum still exists, period. If intro threads bother you that much, petition Butterfree to kill the forum and have this thread stickied someplace else.

we've already talked about this in #tcod but Butterfree offered no input (iirc), though she may as well have been absent.

in any case, it seems I placed too much faith in the common sense of our population. :(

(I think the only person that disagrees with me in #tcod is Tailsy, but then again not everyone joined the discussion.)

I'm totally with you on this. Replies to introduction threads from regulars are the shame shitty copypasta every fucking time and I want them all dead.

I'm totally with you on this. Replies to introduction threads from regulars are the shame shitty copypasta every fucking time and I want them all dead.
Yeah, welcome mats and that stupid fricking stuff has gotten old. (No offense you guys who like doing this)

.... but guys...!

WOULD YOU LIKE SOME

TEA

OR COD?

in all seriousness though, it's the same lame stuff that's always been in every single introduction thread. Lots of members that avoid the introductions forum used to post crap like that (and I think there was a song at some point). I'm totally for a single introduction thread simply because I view intro threads as clutter, but it's really up to Butterfree and I won't be especially upset either way.

But guys, please do not post the exact same thing in every introduction thread. You're not welcoming anyone and it's pretty obvious it's just postcount+.

OH FUCK THE COPYPASTA INTRO POSTS
THEY BURRRRRRRN

I whole-heartedly agree with everyone who's said they want that shit dead. I gladly vouch for the death of the Introductions Forum if it means killing that damned "olololo randum tee and cod welcome mats" shit with it.

Lots of members that avoid the introductions forum used to post crap like that (and I think there was a song at some point).
iirc that was Zephyrous Castform that posted the song in every intro thread.

i say we do one of those team rocket-y things only this time they blow up the introduction forum

this way no one gets blamed (except james because she loves her name)

iirc that was Zephyrous Castform that posted the song in every intro thread.

Yeaah I call guilty on this charge.

Since I was an insufferable retard.

Please try not to associate that with your current opinions of me...!

Anyway, on topic, I don't have a huge aversion to the introduction board - I don't post there myself (anymore) but if people want to post there I guess it's fine. I mean, if you don't want to see all the... what is it now, welcome mats? Yeah okay, all the 'welcome mats' stuff, then, you know, don't look at Introductions.

Which is generally what I do; I think the issue is that they feel the repetitive, inside-joke, super-random welcomes give new members the wrong impression about the board. To be perfectly honest, I'd feel a little put off if I joined today and was greeted like that; granted, I don't think it would scare me away from the board completely, and I am also much older than most of the people who use these welcomes so it's almost a given that I'd have a different sense of humor, but I would still find it mildly disturbing. A simple "hello, nice to meet you, oh hey that interests me, too, hope to see you around X" would go a lot further toward making me feel welcome.

Last edited:
I post in them sometimes, but I will admit, they are getting a little... stupid... Foam swords? I was fine with the old welcome mats, because well, they were vintage from the old forums.

I remember when I came here I had all kinds of awesome welcomes from people like blazheirio889 and Big Red Cherry Bomb. People acted like people then.

Yeaah I call guilty on this charge.

Since I was an insufferable retard.

Please try not to associate that with your current opinions of me...!

Actually I rather liked your song, since it usually followed a nice post.

Oddly, I rather enjoy the multiple-thread option we have going now, but if this is the only way to stop boring posts then I suppose that it will suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom