• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Daily Pokemon Discussions

It's cute. No more input on Roselia is needed.

Lil' bit of trivia about Roselia from Bulbapedia:

[][][][]Roselia is the first (and so far, the only) Pokémon to receive both a pre-evolution and an evolution in the same generation. Other Pokémon that received both, though not in the same generation, are Chansey, Electabuzz and Magmar. Roselia is the only one of those Pokémon that isn't from Generation I.

[][][][]In 2007, employees of Nintendo of America put Heracross up on the Global Trade Station for a Japanese Roselia.

[][][][]Roselia is one of fourteen Pokémon that one can collect foreign Pokédex entries for in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl.

[][][][]Roselia was at one time the only dual-type Grass/Poison Pokémon that did not evolve into or from anything (though this changed when Budew and Roserade were introduced). It was also the only Pokémon with its specific type combination to not be from Generation I until its evolution and pre-evolution appeared.

Roselia is the most beautiful of her line, and has an awesome Grass-type movepool. I like the gender difference, and the flowers as well.
Both the normally coloured and the shiny form have one flower of a color that roses actually get in real life and one that isn't so realistic. And the normal one doesn't get purple, but it's the combination of red and blue, right? (I like purple roses because of Homestuck.)

In Gen I, there were three Grass/Poison lines, each of three stages, and the final stage always began with a V. Then Roselia appeared, and she didn't evolve. Then Budew and Roserade came, and Roselia didn't get the V, but at least a three-stage evolution. Even now that Foongus and Amoonguss were introduced, we can say that all the Grass/Poison lines that are at least partly based on plants have three stages.
And Gen I still has the "V"s.

Roselia's only a foot tall? Wow. I never noticed that.

I usually end up using one in Hoenn and Sinnoh, mostly because of design, and typing.

Roselia: I think the size is weird as well. Sure, there are other Pokémon that are smaller than I imagine them (Hariyama is about the size I imagined him to be, but Machamp and Magmortar, which I think of as huge as well, are about as tall as me! And Jynx and Gardevoir aren't the size of humans with their proportions.), but Roselia is just too small!

Wailord: Majestic blue Water-type... Wait, what's wrong with its Special Defence stat? Its Ground-type counterpart has more!
Something is apparently wrong with its weight. Did someone on this site suggest that it's filled with explosive gas?
What does it eat? Baby Corphish?
Seems like the Regis were sealed in Hoenn when non-legendary mammals already existed.

Did someone on this site suggest that it's filled with explosive gas?

no.

addendum: let us consider a wailord.

let us reasonably assume that the the pokédex figure of height in fact measures its longest length (by noting that roughly cylindrical pokémon with large length-to-width ratios tend to have abnormally large "height"), and that the "weight" given is a mass.

by visual approximation, we could interpret wailord proportions to be a circular cylinder with that length and diameter equal to some one-third that.

consequently, the volume of a wailord is some 266 m^3. if we naïvely divide wailord's "weight" (given in kilograms -- a mass unit, but whatever) by its volume, we find that it wailord has a density of some 1.5 kg/m^3.

now, this is just above the density of oxygen gas at standard temperature and pressure, and a bit below the density of fluorine gas at STP. we will assume that temperature of wailord and temperature outside equilibrate, and that pressure inside is no less than outside -- if it were less, wailord would have to deflate to equilibrium, unless it is inflexible, which ... would be amusing, I suppose.

note that wailord is capable of using moves such as water spout and hydro pump. it has to get that water from somewhere, and most probably stores it inside itself. it also probably has fleshy vital organs, which also have a density only slightly above that of water. keep in mind that this must all take up volume less than 0.4 m^3, and wailord has a surface area over 200 m^2, so its skin can be no thicker than 2 mm. so practically, wailord would probably have to be at a higher pressure to maintain its shape since it doesn't really have enough mass to contain a supporting structure inside -- and consequently, its skin has to be even less thick than 2 mm.

that leaves us with pretty much just gases with molar masses less than or equal to dioxygen, which, as far as I can tell, amount to dioxygen, dinitrogen, dihydrogen, helium, methane, eth[aey]ne, borane, diborane, ammonia. practically speaking, only hydrogen and helium are actually reasonable candidates for the primary constituent of wailord, because the rest are kind of massive. borane and methane, maybe. also note that helium is only normally found in the elemental state, which tends to escape from the atmosphere; and boron is rather rare. hydrogen and carbon, on the other hand, are kind of all over the place. does it surprising that dihydrogen, methane, and borane are all inflammable -- indeed, all of them are somewhat prone to spontaneously combust.

tl;dr: wailord are necessarily full of gas -- and probably likely to spontaneously combust.

Despite that Wailord would basically be a giant combustible balloon in real life, I'm pretty fond of them ingame. If I had the money and room, I wouldn't mind getting that Time Wailord Plush either. Wailmer, on the other hand, throws me off with which set of dots are its eyes and which set are its blowholes. I /know/ the top set are the blowholes, but they look so much better as eyes. Also I think Wailord's Gen IV sprite does a fantastic job of showing how darn big one is. Wailord's appearently random use in the Regi side quest, however, is annoying.

Volcrona is not a Moth at all.
He looks more like a flower.

I always thought he looked like a lotus.
I dislike Mothim.

Roselia's meh, I do like Roserade, though.

Wailord is beast, but I'm going to get this out of the way before any one says it:

HSoWA

Hsowaresult.png
. That is all.

XP

Fat Whale. I dunno, useless to me beyond the use of getting the Regi's in RSE. I know it has tank worthy health, but, meh...

Wailord is okay. I don't get why it was required to get the Regis in RSE. Thats the only use I ever had for him.

...I don't know exactly why yesterday became the day to talk about Wailord instead of Roselia, but how 'bout we get a new Pokemon up today?

Azurill

For one, Azurill can change its gender when it evolves.

Azurill

For one, Azurill can change its gender when it evolves.

I doubt that was in any way intentional. Really, it's just the unequal gender distributions. Nothing in Azurill really implies that it was based off anything Trans*.

Fat Whale. I dunno, useless to me beyond the use of getting the Regi's in RSE. I know it has tank worthy health, but, meh...
Tank worthy HP, crap defenses, so it doesn't accomplish much.

Wailord is okay. I don't get why it was required to get the Regis in RSE. Thats the only use I ever had for him.
Relicanth are based on the coelacanth, a sea-dwelling animal who is thought to be closely related to the ancestors of land-dwelling animals. Wailord are based on the whale, a sea-dwelling animal that evolved off a land-dwelling ancestry. It's a full land/sea-themed cycle.

As for Azurill: as most baby Pokémon, highly uninteresting, although at least slightly adorable. The sex change matter adds unexpected flavor, but let's face it, it's very highly unlikely to be intentional.

The sex change thing happens in some fish, but Azurill isn't a fish, so I'd say it was unintentional. It's kinda cute, but meh.

Azurill is pretty interesting in the fact that some change sex via evolution (and it has remained canon) and that all of them go from Normal-type to Water-type during evolution. Additional useless trivia states that it's only one of two Pokémon released in Generation 3 related to a previous evolution line.

As for the Pokémon, design wise they're not all that interesting. Although, there is an effort to make the design subtly different from Marill. Giant tail sphere, no arms, smaller ears, and white cheeks come to mind along with a pout-y personality. I think Game Freak was going for a counterpart to Pichu that never really got the attention they were hoping for it to.

In short, there's nothing really bad about the design, but nothing that really sticks out either.

Azurill's okay,but I still dislike it due to the Marill line being a rip on good ol' #25

Bronzong!
Bronzong

A pokemon that I forget easily. However, they are rather useful, and they have an interesting type combination.

Back
Top Bottom