• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Do you identify as a feminist?

Do you identify as a feminist?

• Yes

Votes: 51 71.8%
  • No

Votes: 20 28.2%

• Total voters

opaltiger

actually very huggable
Staff member
Pronoun
he/him
Simple question! No need to think about it much, just say yes or no. There will be time for discussion later, if necessary. :D

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to make the poll public. Please post your answer! :D Mine is yes, of course.
EDIT2: If you're not sure, answer what you'd say to someone who asked you "are you a feminist?"

...........I accidentally clicked the wrong option.

(I have great coordination skills!)

ETA: I mean, I clicked "no" instead of "yes"

EDIT AGAIN: Thanks, opal!

Last edited:
Yes, though my family takes great pains to inform me at every possible opportunity that they don't. Siiiigh.

I don't actively identify as a feminist, no. I'm all for women's rights, but honestly that just falls under the umbrella of 'not being an idiot' that I like to think I'm mostly protected by. I'd probably do a march for women's rights or something if it was in my area, I guess! I just don't think that being a vaguely good person requires a label.

If that qualifies me as a feminist, then by all means change my answer for me, I don't mind.

I don't actively identify as a feminist, no. I'm all for women's rights, but honestly that just falls under the umbrella of 'not being an idiot' that I like to think I'm mostly protected by. I'd probably do a march for women's rights or something if it was in my area, I guess! I just don't think that being a vaguely good person requires a label.

If that qualifies me as a feminist, then by all means change my answer for me, I don't mind.

pretty much this, except i voted for yes.

:/ Considering some of the posts here, I suggest explaining what being a feminist actually is in the OP, seeing as a lot of people apparently have the wrong idea about it.

Feminism isn't about women being better than men or some other crazy retarded crap like that. It's about equal rights for both. If you believe women and men should have the same rights, then yes, you are a feminist.

Feminism extends further than that. The feminism movement was the first to posit the theory that gender=/=sex, and is the the largest movement saying that gender is (at least for the most part) something you learn. The feminist movement extends to rape culture; are you against rape? Does rape culture, rape jokes, bother you? Do you notice them? That's part of feminism.

It's very easy for white, hetero, cis men to have the attitude of 'sure if pressured for an answer I'd say yeah I'm a feminist but it doesn't really affect me', and that's because being a white hetero cis male is a position of privilege. Acknowledging that privilege? That's feminism.

I suggest reading the wiki on feminism, but especially this part, because the ideologies of the movement are more than just women=men.

I'm a burning feminist. I just get pissed off at misogynistic, misandristic, and/or trans-phobic rhetoric, even if it is subtle.

Feminism in more detail

Everyone read this post before you decide to vote.

You're absolutely right, we've had several lessons on this in school. My teacher got really pissed and got into a loooong rant about this of when half the class said they weren't feminists because they really had no idea what it was all about. I'm aware it goes a lot further than that, my post is mostly what I remember off the top of my head. I figured it would at least clear some things up.

I think since this thread asks specifically whether you identify as a feminist rather than just whether you are a feminist, I think "Well, if you believe in equal rights you are a feminist" is a bit missing the point here; my impression is that this thread is at least partly about attitudes like "well I'm all for women's rights but I don't want to be associated with feminism because feminists are screeching bra-burning lesbians".

In any case, I identify as a feminist.

If someone came up to me and asked hey, are you a feminist -- as the thread asks -- I would tell them no.

I mean, obviously I'm all for gender equality, women's rights, etc etc etc. I'm just not outright feminist. And saying 'I don't see who ~wouldn't~ say yes' is kind of hurtful, fyi. :? Might be my personal view though.

what Verne said

yeah

in fact i knew Verne would be saying this before i even opened the thread. we are that tight, and you know y'all be mad jealous of we.

edit: or i can just say what i want w/e

Last edited:
I mean, obviously I'm all for gender equality, women's rights, etc etc etc. I'm just not outright feminist.
What... do you mean by that o.o? That you wouldn't call anyone feminist who isn't actively involved in the movement? Or... what? What's "outright feminist"?

EDIT: A yes to the thread question.

What... do you mean by that o.o? That you wouldn't call anyone feminist who isn't actively involved in the movement? Or... what? What's "outright feminist"?
Confusion seconded. And has anyone actually burned a bra? It smells horrible, I assure you.

Back
Top Bottom