• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Do you illegally download?

Do you illegally download?

• No, I've never pirated anything in my life

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Yes, I've pirated some things but it's not really a habit.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Yes, I illegally download all the time.

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • I've illegally downloaded ROMs in the past.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • I've illegally downloaded software in the past.

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • I've illegally downloaded movies in the past.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I've illegally downloaded music in the past .

Votes: 40 49.4%

• Total voters
It's funny - looking at all of the albums I bought for myself within the last month (at least 15 albums), I realize that I wouldn't have even known about any of the artists if I hadn't downloaded their work already.

Used to do a lot of Nintendo, Game Boy, and SNES emulating. It eventually cooled down, then I got a bit into N64 emulation (Got pretty far in Banjo Tooie thanks to a decent PC controller), and now I don't save for arcade games. Right now the only game I have downloaded for my laptop outside of Steam downloads is BloodStorm, which I only downloaded for the sole purpose of reviewing that piece of shit.

Music wise, not very often. If I'm not listening to it off of Project Playlist, then I'm probably getting the CD. Which is rare.

I'm not taking anyone's profits because I wouldn't have bought it anyway.

You may not have bought it, but plenty of people would have bought it were it not for the comfort and inexpensiveness of free mp3s/whatever.

It's funny - looking at all of the albums I bought for myself within the last month (at least 15 albums), I realize that I wouldn't have even known about any of the artists if I hadn't downloaded their work already.

I can say this for plenty of artists myself; I wouldn't like ABBA as much as I do now were it not for Youtube. I wouldn't have discovered Angelique Kidjo, Joni Mitchell, or Helen Sjöholm. I am quite glad that we have Youtube.

Just ROMs and music for me.

In the case of ROMs, I'd much rather play video games on a real system, so I've mostly just downloaded ROMs of games that are so old that they're impossible to find anywhere (or ones I want to mess around with and make goofy hacks.)

As for music, I downloaded a handful of songs a few years ago, but that's all. Everything else on my MP3 player comes from CDs that either I or one of my parents actually own. Downloading MP3s is too much work to be worth it anyway (especially if you have a crappy dial-up connection.)

Downloading MP3s is too much work to be worth it anyway (especially if you have a crappy dial-up connection.)

It takes me a search and three clicks to start downloading something. How is this too much work? o.o

I don't use torrents or anything, I download music mp3s from uploaded files (sendspace, etc.) - I guess this is illegal since I didn't buy it?

I don't download anything else though at all, much less anything illegal. :P

I've downloaded an emulator, but I already owned the game system. I have illegal movies/tv shows, but they're already on a CD of some sort, so it's not downloading.

I would illegally download if I wasn't lazy, though.

I personally haven't downloaded anything illegally but my mom did for a music CD for my 16th birthday.
I do however, intend on checking out some new music after my speakers get replaced, and I don't wanna buy it in case I dun like it, so. :/

so

to all you computer-literate technogeeks on this forum, I have a question. when using torrents, are there any precautions one should take, other than "don't download suspicious looking files, stay off of public trackers"?

I have PeerGuardian, so I dunno how much risk that removes

*just hopped off LimeWire*

I just download music though, anything else would make my computer commit suicide.

i'm mainly forced to pirate music and films for people and in fact i spent the whole christmas period with bit torrent open on my computer

but regardless of that i'm illegally downloading a film as i speak (Saw, for me and my cousin)

I don't illegally download. I get music off people I know a lot, but other than that...
I don't know. Music just seems to have more value to me when I haven't just reeled it in from some website/software. Don't think anything is wrong with it, though.

Believe me, I'll take physical over digital anyway. I do download music regularly, but I probably buy more CDs than your average person anyway.

On the one hand, media giants are greedy pigs trying to force everyone to stick with archaic dying notions of sales and ownership.

On the other hand, pirates generally do it just because they can and then rationalize it after the fact with "oh I wouldn't have bought it anyway" and "well I buy it if I like it", as if they are so important as to decide when a producer deserves their precious 99 cents.

Everyone sucks.

I buy anything I can possibly obtain digitally and DRM-free. Otherwise, I avoid it if it's software and find it by other means if it's media.

Back
Top Bottom